my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Ever Hear of a Widow's Walk?


A Turn of the 19th Century Widow's Walk
Linking to: Rubbish Tuesday

...this is just one sampling. Quite often they are found on the turn of the 19th and 20th Century homes here in our area. Along the island highway you can also find the widow's walk on some of the 'newer' homes. There is folklore, or a legend if you will, about a widow's walk [aka widow's watch]. I like the romance behind the folklore!! It is said that the platform, or rooftop lookout, was used to observe vessels at sea. Widow's Walk derives from the left-behind wives of sailors or mariners. They would watch for their spouses' return, often in vain as the ocean took the lives of their men, leaving the women widows. Hence a "Widow's Walk". You may ask "Why do you envision any romance in the widow's walk Anni?" Well, I'll tell you. I can see the woman atop the walk, searching, watching, listening. Sea winds blowing and at times billowing her turn of the century clothes. When over the course of hours in the damp air making her bustled dress cling ever so snuggly to her features. The salt air, the whirling sand from the beaches pelleting against her fair skin as a small tear trickles down her cheeks in a forlorn state of lonesomeness and sadness... I could write a book on this. Eat your heart out Jackie Collins!!! [kidding]


_ _ _ *** _ _ _

...then a fish story of a Great Blue Heron at Oso Bay here in the month of June. "The Big One That DIDN'T Get Away" or "Look Ma!! No Hands!!!"



linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday


_ _ _***_ _ _

...and last but not least
HODGEPODGE
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. July is National Anti-Boredom Month. When was the last time you were bored? What's your go-to cure for boredom? I've never heard of this "month" until today!!! Hmmmmm, I've been bored out of my mind the last few days. I haven't felt well enough to do much but sleep, watch movies, and sleep some more. My cure would be to get out of the house, and go somewhere...anywhere!!!

2. What's the last thing you made a reservation for? Other than setting up a doctor's appointment, I guess it would be for dinner somewhere 'round town. Probably around the holidays last season when the eateries are packed with shoppers ready to have a quiet 'sit down' dinner after a grueling day.

3. What's one thing on your summer 'bucket list'? Any plans to make it happen? Go to Houston next month.

4. What's your favorite summertime sip? It would either be fresh lemonade or iced tea. And not SWEET iced tea known around here in Texas/the South.

5. What do you find is the best way to handle another person's hostility and hopefully ease the tension? Walk away from it. Ignore it....forget about it. 100 years from now it will make no difference.

Courtesy of Google Images
6. Your favorite film set in summer? An oldie....Picnic. Adapted from a playwright, starring William Holden, Kim Novak, dancing on the waterfront on a Summer evening to the music of Moonglow. :::sigh::: I have to be honest, it's probably considered a bit mundane [hokey] with today's generation....but, as dull and commonplace as it would be right now, the song Moonglow along with steamy, summer, love affair....I melt.

7. What word are you using too much lately? A movie quote actually....and it's ONE word...."Abso-bloody-lutely"!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. To expand on my boredom...for the last 4 days I have been feeling lousy with a Summer head cold that just totally zapped my energy. All I've been wanting to do is lay around the house and sleep. This is just not like me at all...I don't like being down. Today, tho, I'm going out. To my doctor's appointment to have a mole removed off my back. It's too large to have frozen, so they're going to surgically remove it...biopsy...hope for the best outcome. And if I am lucky the doctor may prescribe some anti-biotics for me to help me rid myself of this nasty ailment.

40 comments :

  1. Love widows walks. I agree, they are romantic! I think you have the beginnings of a novel here. Nice description! Thanks for joining in. I'm on my way to work so will read your Hodge Podge later. Get started on that novel, I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great catches on the heron! The widows walk detail was very interesting to learn...Carole at snaphappyonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie Collins has nothing on you!

    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom always wanted a widow's walk once she became one. I don't think it ever worked out, but they are very interesting bits of history. Sorry you're down with a cold, Anni. I had a mole removed two weeks ago and the stitches come out today. It was benign and I wish for the same for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've heard that before, so sad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the widow's walk and your romantic take on it! Ironically, I have just this minute finished watching The Titanic on telly. (not for the first time!) and can relate to your story! I don't often get bored; definitely not while at home or even alone. But I can become bored in boring company! But my cure is to read my Kindle (which I take along in my handbag/purse) and lose myself in an interesting story! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope the mole is just a mole.. and i did know about the widows walk because way back when i read enough historical novels to blind me for life and most of them mentioned the widows walk.
    i am never bored.. i love reading above everything.. above movies, TV, going out.. i take my kindle with me any time i have to wait.. i have not missed a day reading since i retired in 06.. i read 2 to 3 books a week.
    number 5 your answer is my answer and I have never made a reservation at a restaurant so unless you count reserving a motel room, that would have been in 04.

    hubby and I love your pics of that fishing heron

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the widow's walk very much and your telling about it. On my bucket list for July is to attend Folkmoot in Waynesville, NC. This is a gathering of many nations where they dress in native costumes and perform. It sounds like a wonderful event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh do continue with the story, the heartache, loneliness, the moodiness, yes, it'll make a great story, Anni

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know those were called Widow's Walk and I've seen them often and never thought anything about them other then decoration. Good luck with the mole and the cold. I'm thankful I've rarely been bored in my life. There is always something to do. I just have to pick the one I want to do at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I find it romantic too and if only that walk could talk. Wow that is a big fish for that heron. I hope it didn't get stuck... Thank you for linking in Anni... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one big fish! Awesome captures. Thanks for the history on Widow's Walk...always wondered. Sorry you have a dreadful head cold; that is a very unpleasant illness during summer months especially. Hope all goes well at the drs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice catch for the gbh! yes, i've heard of the widow's walk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The simple answer to the first question is "on long air flights".

    Thats a big fish for the heron!

    Sorry for the slow reply - very hectic weeks!

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate it when I have something like that where I can't see it! I saw Picnic more than once when I was younger. I love your Widow's Walk story!!! I did know it, but you brought it totally to life!!! Honestly I could feel the salt air!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet the heron enjoyed a hearty lunch! There are many homes with widow's walks in seashore town in New England...and, sadly, many widows of lost fishermen too,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like the start of a good novel ... get scribbling Anni.

    Now if we ever put something that big in our mouth I'm sure there would be some sort of comment ... possibly 'greedy'!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's an interesting story about the widow's walk. I can see the movie rights coming your way any day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of a widow's walk but I like the story behind their legend.
    Best of luck at your doctors appointment. Hope you're feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with answer to #5!!! Bravo!
    Widow's walks have some very interesting stories on our coast.
    Our modem went kaput at 1:30 no warning. mom just bought a new one and set everything up...she is so untechie it isn't funny but it must be right we are cooking with gas now
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for enlightening me about the widows walk! And I envision something similar to the little story you made up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely series on the heron's lunch! I've only seen that once ...and got some bad pictures. Yours are so good. Usually you just see them so patiently waiting for lunh yto swim by

    ReplyDelete
  23. I first heard of it in some Woodiwiss or Blake historical romance novel I read when I was young- I barely remember the plot, but at the end- the old mansion was on fire and the bad wicked lady was seen walking on the widow's walk. She died, and the good guys lived happily ever after. LOL! I graduated out of romance novels pretty quickly to suspense- and detective plots. (Not much difference if you ask me!) I hope you feel better soon, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wonder where that term came from! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you become a famous writer, that way I can say I knew you when!! Love the heron shots, it is an awful big fish..Last reservation I made was at a hotel, already planning my next trip..Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. There's something spooky about the concept behind a Widow's Walk--as if the spirit of a woman could still be up there, pacing back and forth, waiting for her husband to return...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maybe you should write a book Anni. LOL

    Great heron images.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sorry you have a cold - no good in the summer!
    I like widows walks, and I'd buy your book too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni That sure is a large fish that the Heron has caught.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry for my late comment, Google's fault, not mine! Your widows walk story was right out of one of those historical novels you like to read. You are so good at creative writing Annie that I could see the picture clearly. Great pics of the Heron and catch also. I hope your surgery went OK and all is well.
    Warm regards.:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Widows' Walks are cool and very romantic! I'm going to have to check out Picnic; I've never heard of it. Aren't summer colds the worst? Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your comment only came through one time, just fyi : ) I love the blue heron. Whenever I see one I think of the Chesapeake and days spent boating in a quiet cove where herons nested. There is something rather prehistoric about them. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would buy your book and then go see the movie! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such an interesting history to widows walks. Love that pelican photo! And now I need to know which movie contained your newest word. Sounds like something from the BBC.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is a big fish the heron caught.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I always wondered what those were on the roof for! Thanks for the enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can totally picture your description of the women who stood on the widow's walk. I didn't know that was the story behind them - interesting. Love the bird shots. I hope you're feeling better soon and I'll say a prayer for a positive outcome on the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You and I have the same tastes in drinks. I love widow's walks. There are a couple of houses near me with them. Most of them have very sad stories.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Enjoyed your first two stories and pictures. Hope your have a nice time in Houston. My MIL lives there. That is a good movie choice. My dad went to school with Kim Novak! Hope everything went well at the doctor.

    ReplyDelete

.