my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




A 'Kis' for Luck and We're on Our Way...

On the upper floor of a local mall is a theater and a food court decorated in a nautical theme...an elevated area has a huge, old, ship's helm and my favorite piece...the antique ship's binnacle. In a layman's language, the binnacle is a compass. Encased usually in wood or metal...sometimes both.

Linking to: Rubbish Tuesday


_ _ _ *** _ _ _



---If you noticed when you popped in here today, the link for my birding photo blog is all about a kiskadee.  --they are quickly becoming a favorite bird for me!! So colorful, so vibrant both in markings and personality, and highly unusual unless you live in my part of the United States.  Watching, from the bridge, they would fly off, return with insects and then, fly into the nest.


linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday


_ _ _ *** _ _ _


HODGEPODGE
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge




1.  Speaking of 180 [this is Joyce's 180th Hodgepodge]...when was the last time you 'did a 180' on something?  I'm pretty well set in my ways at my age. So, turning things around and doing something different isn't in my vocabulary or actions. I guess. LOL

2. It's Independence Week in the U S of A! What's your favorite thing about America right this very minute? Favorites only! Let's hear what you love about America. [* If you're playing along today, and you're not an American but have been to America, what do/did you like best about this country? If you've never been to America, do you have any desire to visit? What's the number one thing you'd like to see?  *]   A favorite? As in what? Sights? Liberties? I guess if it were sights, I love the Golden Gate Bridge on a foggy morning and the sun breaks through with just the top of the orange bridge peeking from the misty morning sky...it's a sight that is quite unforgettable. If it were liberties you're asking about...Just plain Freedom comparing to third world countries.

3. Stars or stripes? Red, white, or blue? Watermelon, homemade vanilla ice cream, or blueberry pie? Stripes!! Blue!!! Watermelon!!!

4. When did you last see stars, figuratively speaking? 1776 when I designed the flag  [kidding!]. Heck...I don't know in all seriousness. At least figuratively. Sorry.

5.  'Clear as a bell', 'with bells on',  'lots of bells and whistles', 'saved by the bell'...which phrase 'rings' truest for you lately?  Have you ever seen The Liberty Bell? Yes, I've seen the Liberty Bell...and my life today would be clear as a bell for the most part...like I said in #1, routine!!

6. Are you caught up in World Cup fever? Have you watched a lot or a little or none at all? We don't have cable, so I get caught up with online news or on my phone.  I would like to see on the headlines..."USA wins 2014 World Cup".

7. Bid farewell to June in 10 words or less. Goodbye June, Hello July...keep the seas calm please!!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.  Last week's weather report:  TWO, count 'em...TWO rainstorms moved through our area.  Tho it makes it quite humid, and the dreaded expectations of hatching of those nasty mosquitoes, I'm all for it!! Bring on the rain!!! They say "Be careful what you ask for"...so I'll rephrase this: "Bring on the rain, just don't give us any damaging floods." And since it's been raining a bit here and there, I've started a few projects indoors that have been neglected for a while. One is refinishing a frame for a painting I did about two decades ago when we lived in Tucson...Called Twilight Sonata. The other is a pencil sketch of - yep, you guessed it - a kiskadee:


"Twilight Sonata" - of a coyote and the Tucson Mountains at sunset

and




...and I began another sketch to pass the time indoors, this new one will be a Lazuli Bunting, but the weather turned nice, so it'll take a while to finish, I'm sure. I'd Rather B Birdin'!!!


80 comments :

  1. I think my favorite thing about America at the moment is how we are rallying around our soccer team! Go USA!!! And WOW Anni, that sketch is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thank you kindly.

      Yes...Go U S A

      Delete
  2. I love old ships almost as much as I love trains. That sketch and the painting are awesome. I'm with you on #1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and thanks for hosting dear one.

      Delete
  3. Love your bird sketch!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool that your food court has a theme! None of our malls have cool food courts. They're okay--but I'd love to see a theme that sets it apart from the many other food courts in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, decor is one thing, but food courts just don't appeal to me at all. Period.

      Delete
  5. The kisadee must be related to a chickadee, they look similar. I have never see one, but chickadees are certainly plentiful. Happy July already! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy July yourself Ms. DJ!!! ---this summer, I think, will hopefully not drag on. I'm ready for cooler weather already. lol

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of a kisadee, but it's a cute bird with a cute name. I love your food court with a theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this is one of the malls that is nearly deserted...but has so many good focal points. It's a shame.

      Delete
  7. I love the beginnings of the sketch. Buntings are rarely seen here; however, I was lucky enough to see one a few springs ago during migration. Spectacular blue color.
    hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the Lazuli Bunting that I started to draw is orange and turquoise...quite similar to the bluebird. Thanks M&M

      Delete
  8. Stars and stripes, I do love it all, and it's great to be a part of it all, no matter where that I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....you're privileged to love your life!!! [as do I!!]

      Delete
  9. My goodbye to June is ---one hot month gone. Counting down to cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....this is 'bout the time I start the November countdown.

      Delete
  10. your bird sketch is beautiful. true talent... i choose home made vanilla ice cream.. I last saw stars on Oct 1, 1984 when my hubby kissed me through the car window before i went into work, we had never had a date.. that was it stars for 30 years

    our June has been like July usually is, i say farewell and I hope July is only like July and not worse.. we are in a heat wave and no rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I shouldn't complain about the heat...it could be worse...but dang, I would love a cool down. SOON.

      Thanks Sandra. Oh, and loved your memory on Oct. 1, 1984

      Delete
  11. Excellent photos of the Kiskadee with the bug! Beautiful sketches Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your talents would seem to be endless ... I love your painting and your sketch is so true to life. I am not a good visual learner in that, if I am not staring at it, I cannot reproduce it by memory. I admire those who can. I love your hodgepodge answers ... I can always agree with all of them except today ... my life is not as clear as a bell at this time ... I am looking forward to when it is again. Awesome post, Hootin' Annie ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been pretty much set in my ways which makes life simple. Probably boring and TOO simple for most.

      Thanks Andrea.

      Delete
  13. I learned something from you today, Anni: that a compass is also called a binnacle! I also love your kiskadees. Amazing photos of them feeding their young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jo. Well, a binnacle is encased....in wood/metal or both. Not just the hand held kind.

      Delete
  14. beautiful sketch, anni. our skeeters are fierce again, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're nasty pesky boogers 'bout now. And thanks Ms. T

      Delete
  15. So awesome that you got the kiskadee with a meal! Beautiful job on the sketch. My, I wish I had your talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....she....or he...was very busy that morning, feeding the little ones. Thanks Gail.

      Delete
  16. I loe your sketch..I wish I could draw...makes me think of my Mom and all her years of drawing and painting.. I hope you get the rain that you need.. here it has been a wet June and now very hot... Nice to see you in Nature Notes Anni!!!!... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks for hosting Michelle...and thanks for the compliments.

      Delete
  17. Oh, you talented woman!! What beautiful painting and sketch! I laughed at your Hodgepodge. Just FYI, I never allow myself to read your Hodgepodge until mine is finished in draft. A couple of your answers are SO similar to mine that it's hilarious. Sounds like we're both pretty set in our ways. So did you take the personality test? Are you also an ITSJ ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here? That's a definite!!! Set in our ways most definitely.

      Delete
  18. You are very talented Anni! I don't know the Kiskadee, but it's a sweet bird. We've had the muggy, humid days too. Not so much hot, until that last system got out of here, and then the temps shot straight up to 98..good grief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good grief is right!!! I really wouldn't mind the 98 degrees if only the humidity wasn't 99%

      Delete
  19. You are such a talented lady. What a beautiful drawing. I am not familiar with the Kiskadee, but it's a pretty bird. Wishing you a very happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the kiss dee shots and your drawings are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your sketch, it's really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you so much Gunilla

      Delete
  22. love the ship compass and steering wheel and the bird is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post today Felicia, thanks.

      Delete
  23. I can see why you like those birds so much they are really pretty. I love your sketch of one too

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni, awesome shots of the Kiskadee and a wonderful sketch! You are talented.. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow; you also have artistic skill☆☆☆ And the Kiskadee photos are WONDERFUL♡♡♡
    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the kikadee photos on THIS blog too Miyako. Thanks!!

      Delete
  26. Your drawing is so good! And very accurate. You are a good artist. We have been getting a lot of storms lately. We got caught in one bad one two weeks ago when the car battery died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, that wasn't a fun day, I'm sure. And, thanks Ginny

      Delete
  27. I love the Rubbish Tuesday photos, but loved the bird even more! Or is it birds? Whichever, beautiful, clear, crisp shots.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice shots especially of the Kiskadee, Anni. You're very talented too, with a nice hobby to pass the time when it rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it keeps me from boredom when I can't be outside. Thanks Shey

      Delete
  29. I'm tip toeing quietly in at the end of your comments, having declared by allegiance to Belgium in the World Cup as we lived there for 8 years - sorry and it was so close....
    Now swiftly changing the subject what a wonderful drawing, clever you :)
    Enjoy your 4th of July!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind...Belgium deserves the win too. All the players did a great job.

      Thanks Wren.

      Delete
  30. What a lovely sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can see why that's your favorite bird as of late. It's very beautiful and I love your drawings!!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks. And yes, the bird is truly a beauty.

      Delete
  32. Wow, you're quite the sketch artist! I like this new? background on your blog. It's soothing. Enjoy your 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Joyce! And thanks for hosting ...it's a favorite of mine. You know that.

      Delete
  33. Wow-amazing art sketch of the Kiskadee!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the sketches. You are amazingly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Why are ship things so fascinating? Oh yes, Johnny Depp, heee hee hee.

    Ummm, and Germany should win the World Cup. I also don't watch it, but follow the scores. And yes, Germany should definitely win...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I still like him, but he is getting boring. LOL

      Okay, Germany it is then.

      Delete
  36. A kiskadee...what a pretty little bird! Great job on your sketching...sure wish I could draw!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That painting is so good! I love the way you did the shadows under him. That's one of the pleasures of going down to the ranch.......the coyotes howling at the moon!!
    I can paint but can't draw a straight line. You, my dear, are a TRUE artist!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Linda....I would really like to know, tho, do you sell your art work?

      Delete
  38. Brilliant Anni. Those pictures of the Kiskadees taking food in to their chicks are so good. And you're right the Kiskadee is a lovely colourful character. Now you have a new talent of sketching birds - something most of us ham-fited folk wouldn't even try, especailly not now.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are so talented. I love your bird drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great Rubbish Tuesday offerings! Fabulous little Kiskadee! And, my my, you are talented there, Anni! I also paint and draw! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ms. Annie this is awesome!!!! I love the Lady Lexington and all the history in it. thanks for sharing.
    hugs to you my friend

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love your bird sketch, Anni. I am not a big fan of food courts - the food usually sucks.
    I've never heard of a kisadee. Learning something new again from your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete

.