my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Isn't It Just 'Ducky'?

Near the Cultural/Entertainment District here in town, an interstate highway begins right at the Gulf's Bay. Looking northwest from its start you can see a condemned building of historical value. In fact, in 1976 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places across USA. I say it's condemned and unsafe for human habitation. I've really never stopped to look closely. But the other day, as we were walking along the seawall on Shoreline Blvd. I crossed Shoreline and walked a block and stopped behind the Federal Courthouse to zoom in on the condemned property of the Nueces County Courthouse. It is all fenced area for about a block. There are some city streets that run in front of the building, but when we are on those streets, I never had a camera with me that could zoom in for detail...


In 1853 lawlessness in Nueces County, which covered most of the area from Corpus Christi to the Mexican border, prompted the construction of the first county courthouse on this block. Three lots were purchased for $300 from Corpus Christi founder, Henry Lawrence Kinney (1814-1865). A second courthouse was built in the mid-1870's beside the first. Under the administration of county Judge Walter F. Timon (1872-1952), this neo-classic structure was completed in 1914 at a cost of $250,000.


The top two floors, separated from the rest of the building by an air space to eliminate noise, served as the jail. In addition to government offices, apartments were provided until the 1950's for the jailer and other county officials. During storms which almost leveled the city, hundreds of refugees sought shelter here.




In 1874 four men were killed near Baffin Bay...Two of the criminals caught by a posse were brought to Corpus Christi for trial. They were convicted of the crime and hanged on Friday, August 7. The gallows were built extending out from the second-floor balcony of the courthouse. These were the first officially sanctioned hangings in Nueces County. Two cells with gallows and a trap door for hangings were built in the 1914 courthouse, but they were never used; the state took over the responsibility of carrying out executions. In 1977 the county courthouse was relocated in a newly built building which still serves the area...closing for good the historic building on the bluff...





*- - - -*

At Aransas Birding Center, life was filled with activities! Two cormorants were being quite playful amongst the reed grasses in the pond...I really think they were playing...chasing, following, diving, only to resurface together and repeating their water antics. Then, down the boardwalk some distance a new family. Black Bellied Whistling ducklings and their mother/parents...




...and this is Stewart's 100th week of hosting Wild Bird Wednesday. He hinted to share our favorite bird photo that was once published previously. Altho it's posted on my bird photo blog, I'd have to say this bird photo session was a favorite experience. Especially after driving through the desert lands of South Texas to see if we could find it after it was reported seen in the area:

The Painted Redstart
A Mexican bird...vagrant up near Falfurrius, Texas.




...there are no Hodgepodge questions from Joyce this week.

88 comments :

  1. This beautiful bird really does look painted, And I love the cute little striped ducklings! That poor old courthouse. I hope they fix it up beautifully, it has a lot of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a LOT of history. Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  2. I love the old courthouse. It would be a shame not to restore it. In the Tarrant County area of North Texas are lots of restored courthouses of the same period. I look for them every time I go through an old town.
    And, he is a beautiful bird. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some beautiful old architecture... It saddens me greatly when I see an old building being torn down for a modern one. Like the spirits of the past are being demolished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...the modern ones always tend to be so ugly and plain.

      Delete
  4. I imagine that condemned building was impressive back in it's day. I love the older architecture. Are they planning on restoring it or just letting it go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there has been 'talk' about restoring it, but some say it's 'too far gone'. Who knows. Politics work into all this y'know.

      Delete
  5. That old courthouse is a beauty and has such history. I hope they restore it!
    Love today's bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....knowing this city, it'll be left or torn down.

      Delete
  6. I love all the photos you share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the history/photos of the old courthouse. I also love your birding pictures. Wishing you a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the painted redstart! Beautiful. The old courthouse is a magnificent structure. I sure hope it is restored. It would make a great museum. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a museum is exactly what Bud and I thought also. thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  9. Oh the painted redstart is gorgeous! Would you mind if I pinned it (with proper credit of course).
    It's such a shame to see that lovely old courthouse deteriorating, I love old buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, love your cute duckies! And the Painted Redstart is a beauty! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love those quacking ducks and the babies beside them... from what i see in your photos, the building looks like a tear down to me... but i could be wrong. although my hubby says i am never wrong... yes, the plants in my post are elephant ears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....sounds like my husband.

      Delete
  12. I can just imagine that mama duck telling her kids to stay close, watch out, keep up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....yes!! Now that you mentioned all this, it's probably so true.

      Delete
  13. I hope that they do something with the old building besides letting it rot.

    I love your bird. In an earlier life I spent a lot of time in the natural gas fields near Falfurrias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falfurrias is a neat area. Love the desert between the highway 77 and up to I-181 to Falfurrias/McAllen

      Delete
  14. Interesting courthouse history, Anni. I love the pretty little ducklings all in a row, and the painted redstart. A bird I've never even heard of before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're missing a lot of 'neat' birds by not visiting my bird photo album DJ.

      Delete
  15. Whoa that courthouse looks as if a huff and a puff would send it tumbling. It was surely a beautiful structure in it's day.
    Anni you see the most amazing birds on your jaunts. Were you a birder before you moved to TX? The most exotic bird I've seen was an Ahinga.
    Hugs Cecilia and of course her Divaness madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly....I can't understand why they let it get so bad in the first place. But, what do I know.

      Delete
  16. just love the bbwds!

    the old courthouse looks perilous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed....a good word....perilous

      Delete
  17. just great that you had the camera to zoom in...interesting to think of the building being condemned as so many others that passed through it's doors...and I love the birds/ducks every time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. condemning it is probably the wisest thing.

      Delete
  18. I suppose it impossible to save all the historical buildings in the country, but it's a shame that this one is in such bad shape and is condemned. So interesting, the history. The bird is beautiful and those ducklings are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it IS a shame, but I imagine the bad shape came about through all the red tape and government bureaucracy---then, too late.

      Delete
  19. Fascinating history of the courthouse, and wonderful images! My, the painted redstart is striking. You lucky, lucky girl to see and photograph that one. I can only dream...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni I can see why you love the Painted Redstart, it is gorgeous. Also I love the duckings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Margaret...glad you enjoyed the photo shares today.

      Delete
  21. Enjoyed the history of the Courthouse. The Painted Redstart sure is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes I can find beauty in decay, but that building just makes me sad. If they put it on the historic register, it sure seems like someone should be taking care of it!!

    Your bird photos are amazing - as always. I barely know a robin from a sparrow!! I can recognize a male cardinal and a blue bird... wow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's taken me several years to get this far in IDing other birds....and I'm still learning. thanks Terri.

      Delete
  23. Wow, what a place! I wish it would be restored, but looks like it would cost a lot to do. It sure was a beauty.

    Love those babies, and the redstart....oh, and the whistlers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Rose...yep, I do believe it's beyond repairing.

      Delete
  24. It's sad to see such a nice fancy building in that state of disrepair.
    Love your bird!! He's so colorful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your bird babys ,Nette

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Redstart is really handsome, but I do like those Black Bellied Whistling Ducks. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm partial to the Whistling Ducks too, Findlay.

      Delete
  27. Aww, the ducklings are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that, they are, I agree.

      Delete
  28. That is a pretty Redstart, and sad to see the courthouse with its rich history yet looking like it is falling apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..that it is...definitely falling apart.

      Delete
  29. The history of the old courthouse is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    Love your comorants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I like the cormorants and they're swimming/diving abilities.

      Delete
  30. PS Anni. I wanted to say too that its really sad how this great old building has decayed. They should have preserved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, I think politics played a huge role in its decay.

      Delete
  31. Great shots and history on the old building. I hope they restore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it tho....thanks for visiting Betty

      Delete
  32. The building must have been quite magnificent in its day. Rather amazing that it is still standing, by the deterioration that you've shown in your images.

    Wonderful images of the birds! :)

    Thanks for your visit and kind comment on my RT photos.

    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh love the bird photos. It is such a wonderful time of year for birding and nature of all kinds.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it IS a perfect time of year for nature.

      Delete
  34. Wow the stories that the courthouse could tell, ! wonder what they will do with it?
    Great bird photos especially the fluffy ducklings :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Often I attracted to their names too. They're as interesting as their looks. By the way, I Love your background and header. Very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your Painted redstart is WONDERFUL! I'm jealous! :-) Loved the beauty of the abandoned courthouse. Sad, though. And your water birds are great! Have to tell you how much I enjoyed your comments on my post. I think you are probably right that the flower was a globe mallow. Someone called it a "cowboy's fried egg" though and I found that intriguing! Glad you have kachinas. I have one and treasure it. It was purchased here back in the early 80s when we lived here before. Not kokopelli though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now, I've never heard of the cowboy's fried egg before. Y'learn something every day.

      The kokopelli, I really like.

      Delete
  37. The Redstart is beautiful! We see so few colourful birds here in my area of Canada.... how amazing it would be to see one like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thing is, it's not supposed to be in my part of Texas. Just Old Mexico and parts of AZ CA and N M

      Delete
  38. Great shots of your birding day and the courthouse, so sad it is condemned.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very lovely architectuur, greeing from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  40. It's lovely to have a bit of history to go with the photos and that bird photo is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The Painted Redstart is a beauty. Love seeing the baby Whistlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a beauty to be sure.

      Delete

.