“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Sammy wants a cracker...

1]  ...Nope this isn't Polly the Parrot. This post is all about some of the caged exotic birds found on the Botanical Gardens ground here in Corpus Christi. And Sammy [the white cockatiel/cockatoos  shown in the first two photos] will dance for you...


2] ...and next on the viewing route is the orchid house. Now, I could just grab one of each and take it home with me. No can do?!! I'd be locked up for theft to be sure, but oh I can still dream. What could be finer than a house filled with chattering parrots and the tropical blossoms. And, a soft, faint breeze making the sheer curtains flow ever so gently to lull me.  A view of the turquoise water from beyond the sandy, palm tree covered beach?!!  Perhaps add a corner fountain beside the orchids with trickling water to round off the ambiance. {{{sigh}}}


3] So tell me, just where does all the dust come from when the house has been shut up tightly during our recent cold front and rain storms? I swear, I can write messages on the woodwork around the house. Bud's been helping me with a long handled dust mop, cleaning....he can reach the vaulted ceiling with it without getting out the ladder.

4] And speaking of the mysterious, continual recurrence of dust ---dandelions?!! More and more each Spring. We weed and feed the lawn, but they appear all the time. Spent a good hour yesterday, pulling them up. Y'all know what is said about the state of Texas..."Everything is bigger in Texas"?......that's true of dandelions too.

5] This is my last post for the week. It's pre-scheduled to post on Thursday 'cause we will have Erik with us over the weekend, arriving late Thursday since he has no classes to teach on Friday. He'll stay 'til Sunday. Won't be online at all during the time; at least to visit with anyone. I'll get back to you, hopefully, on Monday.  I DO have a new post coming up [also pre-scheduled] with my Bird Photo Blog which is linked on my sidebar "I'd Rather B Birdin'" to post on Saturday at noon Texas Central Daylight Time Zone.  Another unique bird rarely seen.



36 comments :

  1. Enjoy your time off!!

    We have the white cockatoos over our garden once or twice a month - they are very noisy!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many pretty birds and flowers! After a long winter, I don't even mind a dandelion or two.
    Enjoy your blog break!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the visit! Those birds and flowers are beautiful. And if dist and dandelions were currency, we'd be multi-billionaires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful birds and flowers!! I hope you have a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do have a wonderful weekend break, Anni. Thanks for visiting my blog today (always so great to see you!) and for your kind comments. The lacy top I had on was over a very inexpensive soft pink tee shirt. I bought the top itself about seven years ago in a Chinese shop (these shops in South Africa always have affordable but ultra bling clothes, and I love them!) It's actually a stringy sort of design (which hooked in my silver bag chain last night and friend Louise had to untangle !) and it has sparkly bits on it. So it's one of my really cool BLING tops and I love it. Thanks again. Blessings, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time while you're away. I'll miss you. I follow a blogger who lives Down Under and she has those birds wild at her feeder. But she's suffering from the intense heat in Australia, no cool breezes for her. See you when you get back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. number four is my favorite foto today and that is one cute yellow note letting us know you are taking a break. i have pondered the dust question many times. and what i want to know is how it appears just 2 days after i dust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful coloring parrots!
    Beautiful unique flowers!
    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dust and dirt is a constant here in our house.

    lovely orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your visit this weekend. Thanks for these exquisite photos. So very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your weekend with Erik. Thank you for these gorgeous pictures from the botanical tour. Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your time with Erik!
    No dandelions here, but we sure do have dust. I swear I can dust everything and the next day it's covered again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those birds, especially, are such amazing creatures!
    BTW, we've never had cable TV either. Can't even get it here. But we do watch all those great mysteries either on Netflix or on DVD. There's nothing on network TV that's fit to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice shots of the orchids and birds. I'm always amazed at how orchids resemble a face. Hope you have a wonderful time with Erik. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi There, We are home from George's fabulous birthday trip. I will blog about it tomorrow. It was truly a trip we will be talking about for a VERY long time!!!!

    That's not very nice of you---going on Blog Break just when I am back for a couple of days!!!!! ha ha ..... Beautiful birds and I love those flowers --especially the orchids. Reminds me of the times we go to Biltmore and to the conservatory to see their beautiful flowers especially in the winter.

    Have a wonderful break --and I'll check back with you when we are back from another break next week...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful birds and blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always find dust in the house, it is never ending.. I love the pretty cockatoos.. And the orchids are beautiful. Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Birds and flowers! Wonderful images of both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the birds and I'm dreaming of that tropical house with the birds, orchids, sandy beaches and palm trees.
    I hear tell that dust is made by bunnies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. came via Betsy's blog. Miss blogging with you with the song's theme. How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Birds are amazing and these you photoed are beautiful. The orchids are gorgeous. Wow. Dust comes mainly from dead skin that we shed (and/or our pets). Kind of gross, but I'm pretty sure it's a fact.

    http://skincare.about.com/od/exfoliating/qt/What-Percentage-Of-Your-Dust-Is-Actually-Dead-Skin-Cells.htm

    ReplyDelete
  22. love your post amazing!!! I don't remember the botanical gardens there, must have missed it :( I do not like the dust either :( it seems almost non stop
    hope you have a good break hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love those colourful orchids. They are blooming beautifully despite the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dearest Anni;
    Lovely parrots aren't they♡♡♡ Did you hear them speak? I never heard them speak and wish to hear. I put my blog name really whimsically, now I hahe awe for them with its varieties♬♬♬ I smiled the way you wrote your feeling(^_^)v

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs, xoxo Miyako

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy your blog break! I am missing you already!
    Such beautiful photos, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your imagination of your peaceful place. I've been pulling those weeds too, somehow they seem worse this year.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm enjoying the tropical ambiance of this post. Dust and dandelions - my 2 nemesis! Have a grey time visiting with Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the closeup photo, No. 4! Fabulous! I hear ya about the dust. I have always wondered where it comes from myself and how it can get into kitchen cabinets that have doors or into closets. Enjoy your blog break, I'm sort of on one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous birds. Love Sammy. When you figure outo where all that dust comes from, be sure to let me know. I'm battling it today. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderfull orchids, love also parrots photos, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  31. Is this header one of your photos? Is the bird shown on the thorny branch really sporting ALL of those colors?

    ReplyDelete
  32. the cute cockatiel has the same name as my son, haha! The flowers are lovely! Enjoy your bonding moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You paint a lovely picture Anni, can't think of anything nicer than being surrounded by such beatiful flowers and pretty colored birds. Wonderful photographs! Lovely to have some time with your son.

    ReplyDelete

.