my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




I Got My Eye on You!

Enlarge by clicking to view in the Lightbox Feature...

Continuing a bit more on our day trip to Lake Corpus Christi, I mentioned in the previous post of some of the few birds we spotted. Across the park road from the historic Pavilion at the top of the incline, where the views from the hilltop looking down to the water below, there is a short trail through the scrub and oak trees that leads to a bird watching area. Youngsters from around the South Texas Coastal Bend area have built bird houses and feeders and they're hanging and sitting around to attract birds. [as seen in this example image I share at the beginning of this post] Tho at this area by midday it was quiet, a mama and papa cardinal was there at a feeding station, but when they saw us they quickly disappeared. We walked back out via another trail and I spotted a caracara...the "Mexican Eagle". And if my Spanish is correct, caracara would literally mean face/face?!!! Correct me if I'm wrong.



...nearly the very instant I brought the camera up to look at the bird through the viewfinder, I got just two images before it flew off into the trees. As we approached our car, I spotted it! It was watching ME---






*_*_*_*

 1. What is something you'll never forget about the age you are right now?  As I've stated before, I live for the day, I try not to dwell on the past even tho many memories come up at a given time...I guess it would be that I turned a ripe old age of 65...but I have nearly a whole YEAR before I turn 66 - I had a birthday a couple weeks ago...a lot can happen in the next 50 weeks. Ask again AFTER my next birthday about the year past.

2. What's a household chore you've never done? How have you managed that???  There isn't anything I can think of off hand...I've replaced sinks, laid tile flooring, replaced broken window panes...rewired lighting...I've even torn off the toilet from the floor and replaced it...just about anything that has come my way in repair work around the house.  I've been married for since I was 19 ----a lot of household chores have come and gone in that time frame.  And yes, I do windows!!  Altho, so far,  only once here 'cause we'd  have to tear down the hurricane shutters that are permanently attached.  It can be done, but it's a BIG chore!

3. Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture? Explain?  Well, to me, nurture is more or less from genetics and nature would be your surroundings.  In each case, one deserves to have the other.  In other words, nurturing is inherited in so many ways which helps a personality develop, but your surroundings influence nature's course.  Without one or the  other, we wouldn't exist as we do today.  Does that make any sense at all?

4. Friday (February 28th) is 'Something on a Stick Day'...funny because Zoanna over at A Penchant for Pens recently sent me an idea for a question relating to this topic. What's your favorite food eaten on a stick?   I love a cherry flavored Popsicle on a hot summer day!  But, is Popsicle considered food?

5. Which of your five senses do you treasure most, and why?  As I try answering this, I'll be eliminating each of the five one by one.  And that'll be the answer to why---I could probably live without sound [hearing]!!!  Easily when I think of so many irritating sounds like sirens, gunshots, loud obnoxious people, traffic; things like that.  One down, four more to go... I could use my imagination when it comes to hearing laughter, cats purring, ocean waves and gentle breezes...family's voices, music.   Next, eliminating taste...that would call for recalling tastes from my life...as with, touch and smell...total recall.   So, by taking those four senses from my life, it leaves sight!!!  I wouldn't want to lose that sense.  There is too much more to see each and every day.  Climate changes, the world around me in the 'now' and in the future, and I don't wanna miss seeing a thing.

6. What's the best music, theatre, or sporting venue you've been to? What made it great?  Of each venue mentioned here, it'd have to be MUSIC.  Tho I've seen Broadway's Chicago and I loved it...I've seen professional baseball games and football games, I've been to amateur theater and have seen CATS, Christmas Carol, Phantom of the Opera [both amateur and movie musical]...the London's 25th Anniversary's Les Miserables gave me goose flesh...especially Alfie Boe!!!] and more plays that I can't think of right now, I would still say live concerts and symphonies/orchestras would have to be my choice ---Willie Nelson, The Righteous Brothers, Roy Clark, Eddy Arnold, Creedence Clearwater Revival, 5th Dimension from long ago...Charlie Pride, Rod Stewart [the best ever!!!!] to name a few.  And Symphonies...love the Classical music and could listen to it for hours.  One of my favorites is the one movement piece: Ravel's BOLERO [you tube link]....it's amazing and ever so wonderful and emotional; stirring all your senses, long lasting tho it is...the climatic conclusion has each soul in the auditorium silent and then the cheering, ovations, and applause is extraordinary!!  Being that the movement was written and composed for an opera...one thing I've never experienced but would LOVE to ...that would be an opera....Puccini comes to mind.

7. It's the last week of the month...in five words or less bid adieu to your February.   Hel-l-l-l-l-o March!!!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Part I and Part II of Les Miserables online...free!! [with Alfie Boe as Jean Valjean!!]
...watch him perform Bring Him Home from Les Miserables from links above...fantastic seems so little an accolade.

Or listen to his performance of Bring Him Home with link below...
"God on High...hear my prayer
...in my need, you have always been there
He is young, he's afraid, let him rest...
heaven blessed...
Bring him home, bring him home, bring him home....."


BRING HIM HOME sung by Alfie Boe


Golly, gee, Joyce...as I'm listening to Bolero right now, I'm thinking maybe I should change my answer to #5  [which by the way, was this intentional?  5 senses...question #5?!!]  - maybe it would be SOUND/HEARING afterall.


linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

90 comments :

  1. Amazing photos! I love banana popsicles; I got hooked when I had my tonsils out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know? I don't think I've had banana flavored!! Will have to look for it now.

      Delete
  2. I agree my sight would be the hardest sense to live without -- grateful for it. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, after listening to the youtube of Bolero...I'm wondering how I could continue without hearing. It's a tough question this week from Joyce, our hostess!

      Delete
  3. great to sight this bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Carole, I just visited your OWT, and what a fun, fun post.

      Delete
  4. Yes, yes, to savoring the day, appreciating the endless creation around us, being right smack dab in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really hate to lose any of my senses, but taste and smell seem like the ones I could most easily live without. Touch, hearing, sight: these all are essential to my enjoyment of life every moment. I laughed at the bird looking at YOU! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's a difficult question. Joyce always challenges us good!! That bird was definitely watching ME.

      Delete
  6. My Hodgepodge will post tomorrow, but I always enjoy your answers a day early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do my Wednesday post early 'cause it's part of Tuesday's postings and WBW is hosted by Stewart in Australia...so their Wednesday comes earlier --- right?

      Delete
  7. We've seen many of those caracaras lately. They are really foraging for food more than usual. And ohhhhhhh, now I'm going to have to go look for a cherry popsicle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? A lot of caracaras? Now you have me wondering what's up with that? They know something we don't know? Oh yes...cherry flavored anything always pleases my palate.

      Delete
  8. What a cool bird!
    The question about senses is a hard one. I don't know if I can choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm glad you liked the caracara photos Mari. I know...that was very difficult to choose. I'd probably change my mind sometime/somewhere down the line.

      Delete
  9. I think I'd answer the same on the question about the senses, and the last one as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....you and me both Mersad.

      Delete
  10. lovely caracara! the only 'eagle' i've ever seen in the wild. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,I don't think I'd call them an eagle...but the people from Mexico consider it so. Either case, they're regal.

      Delete
  11. I think I was nurtured to love nature. Yes, I was. Regarding senses, it was a fight between sight and sound. Sight is the winner - by a fraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I know just what you mean...the senses question was a challenge...I honestly wouldn't want to give up sound either.

      Delete
  12. Here's lookin' at ya ... says the Caracara. I bet he agrees that sight is essential to life, more than other senses, though they do use their hearing for hunting as well. My friend, Jeanne, posted a Caracara that she spotted on the south Texas coast ... I wonder if it could be the same one. Or are they common enough to have many opportunities to see them? Love your post, as always, Hootin' Anni ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....there are LOTS of 'em Andrea. Lots and lots. Everywhere.

      Thanks for your compliments.

      Delete
  13. Love that bird Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Karen! I was expecting your absence to blogging to be a while...but you returned. Lovely to have you visit, as always.

      Delete
  14. excellent sighting… you and the bird both:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always think of the Caracara as a very unusual bird, I don't know why, you did well to get the shots. Happy birthday for when-ever, and arnt you the lady from the double glazing add,;-)
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they ARE definitely a different looking bird...

      Thanks Gordon.

      Delete
  16. was ein Nistkasten toll
    da lacht das Herz
    der Vogel wunderschön
    LG zum Abend vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni, I popped over here from your comment on my post today. (Thanks) I have seen you on other blogs (is it Stewart's WBW blog?) and even on others. So I'm going to follow you if I can find the link. I love the Caracara.. You obviously bird wherever you go, as all good birders do, LOL! Have a great day. Greetings, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, just about. Always have the camera for bird viewing these days. I'm addicted. LOL

      Delete
  18. Ah, you lucky duck!!! You saw Rod Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh, and his concert was just soooooooo memorable!!! Nearly 2 hours of his wonderful raspy voice. And sweet hair!! LOL

      Delete
  19. I love Crested Caracaras....we have them here surprisingly in the desert. They are a very interesting bird. I always wonder who is watching me while out in the field:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too...and the eerie part is, when I DO spot them, they've been there all the time...in silence, watching. LOL

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. I guess....they have such an unusual shape tho. I guess it's the beak. I dunno. LOL

      Delete
  21. Awesome photos! I always enjoy visiting your blog. You take fabulous photos and I always enjoy the photos of the birds very much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well..you were being watched..LOL..and from your comments, you are really handy around the house unlike me...Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fixing stuff. It really calms my being....odd, I know.

      Delete
  23. That's a gorgeous eagle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....glad you enjoyed the images Carver.

      Delete
  24. The Caracara is a cool bird. Great sighting and photos, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome pictures. I've never even heard of a Caracara before. It's very unique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that it is...quite unique.

      Delete
  26. Dear Anni, To answer these questions: 1. The fact that I will not be this age again.
    3. Personally, nurture, the love from growing up makes me who I am.
    4. hot dog
    5.I cherish all of my senses, I find it difficult to choose one.
    7. till next year....
    Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hot dog on a stick, grilled over an open campfire on a brisk mountain-evening where the food and fire warm your innards. Mmmmm, mmmm!!

      Delete
  27. Found your post most interesting. I would go along with on some of your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks LV...at least we agree on some, right?

      Delete
  28. I hope fudgesicles (well I don't know how to spell it spell check) are food on a stick. Haven't had one in a while as I'm trying to stay off sugar. As for Number 6 I really enjoyed seeing the play Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...actually, I was thinking of adding fudgesicles to my answer, but fruit flavor 'sounds' more healthy. LOL

      Delete
  29. Saw our first one in Texas (of course) but have also seen a few here in Florida. I really think they're beautiful birds and probably no more of a scavenger than Mexico's Northern neighbor's national bird, the bald eagle. Both are majestic and both eat anything ;>)!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is always a pleasure to read your interesting blog, Annie. I enjoy your Q&A's! I'm all for eating cherry Popsicles in summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Thanks Pat. Yep, an icy popsicle is fittin' on a hot, blustery day.

      Delete
  31. These are very thought provoking questions. I am trying to imagine life without one of the senses. That doesn't sound appealing at all!

    I could totally go for a cherry popsicle for dessert tonight. I might look for some at the store today.

    I am impressed with your wide variety of household skills! I love that you have tried so many projects. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Kaishon. Yes, that senses question was a very difficult one to eliminate any of them to be able to choose, just one.

      Delete
  32. It is always hard to think about losing our senses. I think I would be upset if I lost my common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a 'princess' loses common sense. Not in any tale I've read!!!

      Delete
  33. As always, excellent photos, Anni! I love Les Mis and Cats was the first Broadway musical I ever saw...with my mom, which made it even more special to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I can understand that...moms are the best.

      Delete
  34. I think that I am a visual, for just about anything in my life, even when I think of things, I am very visual, or learning something, new, show me how...and so my vision...wow, I try to protect it, and I would be so lost without it~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost maybe, but you would no doubt get more sensitive to your other four. But I agree, I'm a visual too.

      Delete
  35. The list of events you've attended is enviable, as well as your list of household chores that you've tackled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,it was something that I could do, and not have any issues with huge bills for maintenance ---as long as I was able to do it, I was pleased to know I COULD do it.

      Delete
  36. What an interesting bird. I agree about age 65...I still find it amazing that I'm 65. I had lunch with a young friend on Monday. I actually showed her my Medicare card. LOLOLOL
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and where can I get one of those? LOL

      Delete
  37. Fantastic shot of the bird..I still can't believe that I have been on this earth for 55 years already..and now, I will stop counting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,why, you're just a 'youngster'. ;-)

      Delete
  38. I think we rely and enjoy all our senses and losing any of them would be so hard. Love the bird staring you down : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it, I think, thought it was quite smart trying to 'hide' from me. LOL

      Delete
  39. The Mexican Eagle is a neat looking bird. You got a great shot of him.
    I can't believe that I'm going to be 68 next month. I sure don't feel that old, most days. I'm hoping 70 will be the new 50. lol!
    I totally agree with you on No. 5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70 the 'new 50'...I like your thinking!!!

      Delete
  40. Lucky you on that bird sighting! Great shots. Would love to see this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this year, for some reason, they're very frequent in sightings.

      Delete
  41. awesome!!! thank you for sharing!!! hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...same, right backatcha!!

      Delete
  42. Great photos of this unusual bird. I saw three at different times while we were in Florida, a pair too far away as we were driving along a busy road - no stopping for photos - and the only reason I recognized them was that I had seen one in a rehabilitation area the day before. New to me, I was in awe. Loved that bird station and enjoyed reading your post. Enjoy the rest of the week Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the photos Denise.

      Delete
  43. Have you tried Satay? It's our iconic dish. It's charcoal-grilled meat on coconut leaf spine skewers dipped in a yummy spicy peanut sauce - my all time fave food on a stick. I can eat at least 10 sticks in one go! I heard from my Malaysian pally in Texas that there is a famous Malaysian restaurant serving satay in Houston. It's called The Straits Restaurant.

    Love the photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son lives in Houston, will have to look this up next time we're there!

      Delete

.