“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






A Hour or Two in the Park...

 thanks goes to hosts of Our World Tuesday, Nature World, and Wild Bird Wednesday

I was pretty pleased a while back, that this city park was cleaned out of debris. So many times, when we've birded there, the rubbish from the homeless is quite evident. Trash, damp, muddied, blankets, forgotten sweaters and jackets...I'm sure it can be difficult for the city to get someone out there each day to do a thorough clean-up. Otherwise, the park is very pretty year 'round with all the green, lush, wooded areas and the small creek meandering through the center. This park is on the HOT list for finding birds all year, but it is especially an area you don't want to miss during Spring Migration!!  I always think of central park...no, not even close to NYC's park, but it IS central, and it IS patrolled by police on horseback.  LOL  I thought I'd share some of the area for those that are freezing and livin' in the snowy climes. The photo shares are of the creek along the walkways, reflections of the sky when crossing the footbridge...and birds -- Cooper's Hawk and Golden Fronted Woodpecker. It's all shared with a bit of sarcasm for those that are cold to the bone...just to warm you up a bit. Enlarge them by clicking on the image and go into the lightbox mode...a slideshow---



For those with snow remaining on the ground, and cold, bizzard-like winds, frigid temps...remember this green stuff?
It's called grass!! ;-)




I have come to the uneducated conclusion, that when Bud and I are out searching for birds to photograph, when during the daylight hours, and there seem to be no song  birds around, there is most likely a bird of prey near by. And sure 'nough on this particular day, in the city park, there wasn't one song bird to be heard or seen. In the far distant trees we could hear a golden fronted woodpecker that I finally spotted.  But as we traipsed through the entire park, we spotted not ONE, but THREE Cooper's Hawks!! All of them didn't like us being there in their territory and flew off nearly as quickly as they landed in the dense branching of the trees high above us. I finally chased one down and finally got a photo of it...not a good photo...but at least you can tell by the markings and size that they all were indeed Cooper's Hawks!! Ironically, all hawks left the main area of the park, flew beyond the main park, over to the other side of the covered roadway, into another dense area far from where we were, and a few other birds showed up. Mocking birds, Cardinals, Kiskadees, and sparrows. That is why I think those smaller birds are scarce at times of Hawk invasion. Just a guess, but it's highly possible. It was a beautiful, warm, winter day that day in the park.

Two days prior we drove about 30 miles southwest of Corpus Christi to see if we could find another uncommon bird in this area of Texas. It was reported by the birding association that this elusive one was spotted in Bishop, Texas!! If we would spot one on that day before they leave the area, it would be a 'first' for both Bud and me!! Not only did we find some on the lake as reported, but there were at least 30!! Both male and female. I took photos, but the sun was not shining on that day ---photos were not all that good, but at least I saw them here in Texas!!! [as always tho, I usually save most pictures of our birding experiences and sightings for my photo blog...I'd Rather B Birdin'. And I have these photos primed and ready for next Saturday's blog post there. So you have to keep up with my second blog, instead of boring y'all with bird photos all the time at Hootin' Anni's. If you're interested in what birds I DO post once a week, the top of this blog shows you what you can see over there on the photo blog. And, the bird photos shown are linked for viewing from here.] On the lake, four other kinds of birds were seen by us. One lone snowy egret, several Lesser Scaups, four mallard ducks, and three Least Grebes. In the trees and on the grass were dozens of Grackles, White Winged Doves and Eurasian Collared Doves. Oh, and of course, one woodpecker flitting around from tree to power pole back to the trees.

connecting to: Wild Bird Wednesday, Nature Notes, Our World Tuesday
Links Found on my Sidebar



-__***__-
thanks to hostess of Hodgepodge


1.What makes love last? Honesty...with yourself more than anything.  If you can't be honest with yourself, how on earth can you expect to love anyone or anything and make it last?

2. The Beatles made their US debut fifty years ago this week. Are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite Beatles tune? My sister and I were just talking about this over the phone on Sunday...she mentioned that they appeared on American TV on my birthday on the Ed Sullivan Show. I knew that...I watched the program. To answer your question; no I've never been much of a fan of the Beatles. I do like the song IMAGINE...but in all technicality, that is a John Lennon song.

3. Valentine's Day-your thoughts? Do you celebrate in any way? Do anything special for the people you love? Expect anything special from the people who love you? Bud used to give me flowers on Valentine's Day until I convinced him it was a waste of money that a rose BUSH later in Spring would be more wise. And the blossoms last longer. LOL No, again...we don't celebrate much. Sometimes we go out to dinner, but that's all...if at all.

4. Steak or burger...you have to choose. Now that that's settled, how do you like it? Steak? Medium rare! Hot and sizzlin' from the grill...slightly pink inside when cut. Burger? --I like 'em medium to medium well. Topped with cheese and extra pickle please.

5. The Hodgepodge lands on the birthdate (February 12th) of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America. Lincoln is quoted as saying, 'Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character give him power.' Do you agree? Why or why not? Yes, I will agree with just about ANYTHING the wise man, Lincoln, is quoted as saying. Look at the character  in the White House now!!!!!

6. Honest Abe's image is featured on the US penny (1 cent coin) so I'm wondering...what do you do with your pennies (or your country's equivalent)? It's been suggested the US stop making the penny, and two bills have been introduced proposing just that, but neither were approved. What say you? Our pennies, along with all the other pocket change goes into a piggy bank. We then wrap 'em up...turn them in for paper money. If I had my way, I'd do away with 'em. They're a huge pain in the posterior!!

7. Do you think pop culture deserves serious study? Don't waste time on studies. But I would like to know just how all the Vampire interest started in the last decade? I know, I know...it was the Twilight series. LOL  But, if there really were  vampires, from centuries ago, and the thirst for blood, ummmm, wouldn't we all be vampires then, by  now?  Just sayin'.  I'm more a  realist I guess and not one for romanticism.  At least in this aspect of the 'romance' of vampires and such.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Dunno 'bout y'all, but for me, I noticed that after upgrading, a while back, to a newer version of Firefox, the Google Language Translator [obtained by activating the gadget in Blogger] no longer works! Now, that doesn't surprise me a bit. So, I did some research. I didn't want to add any more addons through Firefox, and I read that Google no longer supports Firefox. Guess what? That means to me that Google wants us to switch to Google Chrome?!! Of course!! That would mean even MORE revenue for them. Okay, so that's not my point here....even tho I'm getting thoroughly provoked with Google-and-the-lessening-of-Firefox-compatibility-wars. Anyway, as I said, I did some searching and found this site that will offer you a new website translator for your blog...free. All you have to do is copy the code provided and add the copied coding through 'add a gadget' in your Blogger Layout.

Once at the site url I share below, click on "GET YOUR BUTTON" near the top of the page...select the language your blog is in, i.e. "English" - then copy and paste the provided script into a new gadget box in Blogger. You can see what you'd get by checking my left sidebar, at the top of the column!!

READ HERE


Connecting to: Wednesday Hodgepodge
Link Found on my Sidebar





92 comments :

  1. I kinda like zombies after getting hooked on Walking Dead. I don't think pop-culture deserves serious study though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. studying so many things in this world, if you want my opinion, and spending money on those studies, just doesn't make much sense. I agree.

      Delete
  2. I always love your hodgepodge, Anni. I also enjoyed your walk through the park and taking me along. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey - i had a fascination with vampires way before Twilight. they have always interested me ... to walk for years. i would hate to have to eat blood. but think of living in so many centuries. awesome to me!! & usually they are super gorgeous. total plus. & amazing strength. etc. etc.

    very few folks i notice these days pay with cash. most i notice use cc. you do wonder why they keep the pennies or other coins around at all??! there must be a reason. but what??!

    i will read more about #8 ... so interesting. not sure you knew (or know) but a while back i was paying for photo storage on goggle to keep my photos. then suddenly silly me ... i guess i was half asleep & some how deleted a bunch those posts. well, over 1,000, but it also means i do not need to pay for storage of those photos any more. i miss my past post but i think it was best in the long run to save me some money. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...when it comes to vampires, you're the romantic and I'm the realist. Don't believe in it myself. And I pay cash...a lot of times just to stay off the grid. Privacy comes to be an issue.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your photos - and that green grass! It looks nice and warm.
    Lincoln was a wise man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, it's still green here, but not very warm. 40 something this morning. Another dark, dreary day. Haven't seen the sun for days and days.

      Delete
  5. Lovely world of photos of nature's gems for OWT ~ thanks,

    carol and artmusedog
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed them Carol

      Delete
  6. my first random comment is... i got so caught up in looking at the little writing mouse on your photos, i went through the whole lightbox without seeing the photos and had to start over to look at the pics.that is one cute mouse.
    2nd random thought... you are right about google, i changed to Chrome when they first put it out, a year maybe 2, can't remember. i did it because IE and Firefox were not compatible and i had problems. Google is becoming a monster and gobbling up everything. but i love chrome so much i stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...a little mouse play is fun, huh? And Google...oh my. 'nough said.

      Delete
  7. I love that you found them in Bishop- so close to me! We had a hawk that continually followed the pup and I yesterday as we checked on the cows in the back pastures- he kept swooping so low and close that it kind of worried me he was eyeing the pup as a meal! Love your hodgepdge, too~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I thought of you when we were in that area!!! That's scary with the hawk/pup!!!

      Delete
  8. How fun to get out and sight and photograph these birds. It is snowing hard here in GA this morning, so your green grass looks very enticing! Wishing you a very nice day. Always a pleasure to visit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...more snow? Oh dear!!! Thanks Mildred...you always put a smile on my face and in my heart with such positive feedback.

      Delete
  9. green is good. like the snowy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, green is good. In several ways. LOL

      Delete
  10. Great shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lovely area to go bird watching. Great shots! My yard is totally void of birds when there is a Coppers near by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...then my assumption is probably close to correct?

      Delete
  12. ANNI we love the little critter in the corner of your pictures. He looks like a Christmas mouse.
    My peeps were married on 2/14/70...thanks to the Marines.
    Dad was in the Reserves at the time. They planned to get married on 2/7/70...then just before mom was going to mail the invitations to the printer they found out Dad's reserve meeting was on 2/7...so they changed the date to 2/14. Other than Dad having a Marine buzz in all their wedding pictures everything was PURRFECT
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one thing wrong with a Marine cut!!! I like it that way myself. I do remember you telling me about the postponement of your wedding plans.

      Delete
  13. wunderschöne Bilder vom Park und der Vogelschar

    LG vom katerchen der einen netten Abend wünscht

    ReplyDelete
  14. It interesting how many people wish for spring to arrive. I posted just about the same thoughts as you in my latest blog post. The winter days can be grueling, but I also think that every season holds something special that can be harvested and enjoyed.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am NOT a winter person. I'd much prefer the temps of 70 to 80 'F' during the day and 60 at night...year 'round.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for reminding us what sunshine and grass looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have been birding in the Corpus Christi/Padre Island area many times! It is paradise for birders. But we have never been to the park in CC. Is it handicapped accessible? If not I can always get my DH to go with the camera so I can see it through photography. We always stop for seafood at a place right by the bridge called Peanuts or the other place right next to it. Such gorgeous sunsets over the water. I've never been in the CC area during migration so I look forward to that maybe in September or October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say, the park is partially good for handicapped. If you enter it from the 'back side'....not by the Blucher house, but behind the library on that back street...you'll be able to get your scooter in the area there, but there are some narrow paths that would be a hindrance.

      Delete
  17. Knowing little to nothing about birds, I always enjoy your lessons, and your photos! I think you must be right about the birds of prey scaring off the other birds. Seems reasonable to me. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge, especially your answer to #5 - agreed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh don't get me started on THAT character. LOL

      Delete
  18. Thanks for taking us on the walk with you:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you came along Laura.

      Delete
  19. A great post for the bird theme!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would take green grass over snow anyday! But, I do love your Snowy Egret! Looking forward to seeing your uncommon bird. IN answer to one of your questions, I do prefer steak over burgers. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I would go for ether steak or burger, I like 'em equally. [if the burger is grilled and not fried that is]

      Delete
  21. Thanks for taking me to the park today. I had almost forgotten what grass looked like. I guess I better put my boots back on now and take Duke outisde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...bundle up...it's cold outside!

      Delete
  22. I had not even noticed the translate thing..I hate trying to be forced to do anything. Google provides so much 'free'--if you translate that loosely...I don't want to use Google Chrome...I have tried it twice and just somehow or other do not care a lot for it

    That said, I did enjoy my visit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us. I too have installed Chrome and wasn't all that impressed with it.

      Delete
  23. I always like a walk in a park, thanks. I like steak and well done with a salad with ranch. Lincoln is my favorite president of all time. I even pick up penny's but I do have too many. Used to wrap and still should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh wrapping pennies is a waste of time...takes too long to count 'em out, and then wrap 'em, and then only have 1/2 dollar? Nah.

      Delete
  24. Much nicer than the dark sky and snow outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm definitely not one for snow as I grow older. I'm blessed to be here even tho the temp is freezing, at least no snow.

      Delete
  25. Hello, I know how frustrating it can get trying to see birds and get the 'right' photo... ha ha...

    We have better luck with Bing Translator than we ever did with Google...

    Interesting questions:
    -We celebrate EVERYTHING.... That includes Valentine's Day!!!!!! ha
    -STEAK---medium rare for me too! YUM.

    I'm sad tonight. We have had to cancel our Valentine’s Trip to a little mountain town (Cashiers) in North Carolina. That horrible southern storm is going to give them from 6-10 inches of snow, plus sleet and power outages. We can’t even get into that area now… SAD–but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...too bad weather had to put a damper on your trip. There is always another time. And soon, I'm sure.

      Delete
  26. Glad you enjoyed your stroll in the city park. Its sad that the debris is left behind but hopefully its cleaned up soon. The grass looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the park seems to be a haven for the homeless. I guess it's to be expected in a larger city...I know 'bout now tho, most are in homeless shelters for it being so cold at night.

      Delete
  27. Beautiful photos, Anni! Thanks for the reminder of what grass really looks like, I've almost forgotten. :)

    Beatles, 50 years??? Man, that really does make me feel old.

    We don't do much for Valentine's at our age. I tell him not to get flowers, just take me out to eat so I don't have to cook!

    I'm in complete agreement with #5! All of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it doesn't seem like it's been 50 years!!

      Delete
  28. Hello former Coloradan! I'm also in the foothills, but SW of Denver. We love it here!

    LOved all your bird photos and info! I have not been seeing many birds this winter, except for an occasional crow or magpie. We had two severe arctic blasts so I guess most birds migrated south to stay warm.. Happily our temps are going up to the 50's this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister still lives in Colorado...on the western slope tho, and they have been getting quite a bit of rain! ----that's highly unusual this time of year.

      Delete
  29. interesting thought; no songbirds; look for a hawk; nice series

    ReplyDelete
  30. I used to tell mine the same thing about flowers. His mother loved to get flowers and it took me nearly 20 years to get him to stop giving me flowers. He finally started giving me plants for the yard which was ok but I finally got him to stop giving me anything on Valentine's day. I was out with the camera the other day taking pictures of a heron, two Ibis and an egret and thought of you and your wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...awww, thanks for thinking of me in your photo shoot.
      As for Valentine's Day...to us these days, it's just another day. Afterall, we love each other EVERY day and show it.

      Delete
  31. Hub and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day much-hey that's true love, right? So true about Abraham Lincoln! Uh-Oh-Annie, I need my pennies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you mentioned $2 bills...do they even make 'em these days?

      Delete
  32. That last bird photo is so cool! I love fresh flowers in the house. I know they don't last as long as something outdoors, but they definitely lift my spirits, particularly this time of year. We are a long way from spring and rose bushes in the northeast : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love flowers in bouquets indoors, don't get me wrong...but I can't see spending close to 75 dollars for a bouquet delivered to your home.

      Delete
  33. You guys really travel a lot in search of birds. That must be so fun and adventurous. It's no surprising that Google will behave so with Firefox. I am pretty sure it must be doing the same thing with Internet Explorer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably...it's annoying tho. LOL

      Delete
  34. I agree with you about getting a rose bush instead of cut roses! I may just suggest that to hubby. And I certainly don't understand all the fascination with vampires and the "walking dead" zombies…and it's not just one show or movie out there. I'm baffled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...not only shows and movies, but the books store shelves are saturated with vampire books!

      Delete
  35. Thanks for the suggestion with the translator! I haven't even thought about adding that, but I will now! CH told me I'm the perfect wife: I don't believe in giving flowers (they don't last), I don't wear much jewelry, and I love to watch football!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then...no flowers, no jewelry [tho I do wear it occasionally]...and sports...not just football. '-)

      Delete
  36. We're not buried under snow, but I enjoyed your photos anyway :)
    I totally agree with your answer to #5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you and so many others on #5's response. I'm happy to know that so many think the same way about power/corruption.

      Delete
  37. Enjoyable post ... so much good information. Always enjoy your pictures and your travels that you share with us.
    Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures with a nice comment.
    I cannot thank your via e-mail as you show up as HOOTIN ANNI;
    You may already know this and want it that way.
    Email me.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...an email is on its way Audrey.

      Delete
  38. I would also rather have something a little more lasting than an overpriced bouquet of flowers. This year we're opting to get a strawberry tier planter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...strawberries...great idea.

      Delete
  39. Hi, Anni! Your answer to #1 is right on the money! Wait...that green stuff is grass? Oh, yeah...I vaguely remember! It's all covered with snow and ice here right now. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how y'all are getting the ice and snow...this winter is incredibly odd!! Stay warm.

      Delete
  40. Oh thank you for the nice warm park pics!! We saw a hint of that green stuff at the end of December, but it was brown!

    I like your Hodge Podge answer about making love last. Very true!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love all those photos of the park. I feel a bit warmer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's always good to see green in winter!!! Stay warm.

      Delete
  42. love your pics from down SOUTH like your hodge podge answers, ck out my wordless wed and photo a day. I caught 200 geese eating seeds off the very DEAD grass. hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I couldn't see the photo...all I saw was a message "displaying"...but it never loaded.

      Delete
  43. Hi Anni, I found you on Nick's Bytes. I used to have you on my blog list a few years ago but of course lost touch when I stopped blogging then due to the pressures of work. So it's good to find you again and I've added you to my blog list again.

    I enjoy looking at birds too (in the UK we'd be referred to as "twitchers" for some unknown reason!), and we have some unusual specimens here in Australia.

    I hope you and Bud are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn...long time no see. I'm happy that you found me again and hope we can continue to stay in touch.

      Delete
  44. Your post is jam-packed full of birding and more about you. I always enjoy my visits Anni..... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.