my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



If You Don't Like the Weather...Wait a Day---

Our weekend was something for the record books. Well, not really, but it had its good points, and then the strange. As in weather. Saturday, for me the weather was a perfect Winter's day. Cloudless for the most part, the temperature balmy early in the morning with mid sixty degrees and climbing to a high of near seventy!! Then, Sunday morning, again, cloudless. Early. We decided to drive to Calallen, Texas via Robstown, Texas along highway 44. The highway traverses a lot of farmland. Just as we circled off Crosstown Expressway and headed toward Robstown to the northwest of the city, I spotted a huge hawk on a power pole. The sun was up and bright and made for a beautiful image. It was early enough in the morning that the Sunday traffic was near nothing, so we pulled off the highway clear to the shoulder edge and I zoomed in on the hawk!! But in all honesty, this post is about weather. Sorry, I got sidetracked!! I'll begin again, Saturday, beautiful, balmy. Sunday morning...promising to be a gorgeous day. A bit cooler than Saturday, but still sunny and warm. WRONG!!! By the time we got to the Park we intended on doing some birding activity, a huge, massive storm was brewing. Far to the west, at the horizon we saw nothing but BLACKNESS in the sky! As we were out walking the park area, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees!! Winds kicked up, and we soon got back in the car and drove the park's winding road...stopping only once to get out and check out the pond for waterfowl. Seeing only Northern Shovelers and one lone Snowy Egret. As we were scanning the area with our binoculars, off to the back of us...toward the east, we could hear Sandhill Cranes. As the winds got stronger, we turned to leave and I spotted a flock of hundreds of the cranes, high in the sky above us! Took a few pictures, got in the car and headed back to Corpus Christi. When we left a couple hours prior, the temperature was near 60....when we got home, it was 42. By mid afternoon the storm front, that created the black demonic-looking sky, had disappeared and the sun came back out...but the temperature didn't improve much as the wind created a chill factor that kept the temperature down even tho the atomic thermometer showed 59. Now, as I type this post, the outdoor temperature on this Monday morning, it is 36 degrees. With a forecast prediction of near freezing later and into Tuesday!! But...as they say, if you don't like the weather now, stay a day! It'll change. And it is supposed to...getting back up to warmer days and nights, with a promise of sun returning!! I will save the hawk and sandhill crane images [all but one I share with you today] for my bird photo blog, but I am going to share the two day weekend photos here---

SATURDAY AT THE PARK...blue sky, pretty day!!

SUNDAY MORNING...a dark, ominous black sky!!

...and the Sandhill Cranes against the storm!!



Sidebar Linking to Nature Notes

56 comments :

  1. Hallo Anni, how I've missed your posts... may I say that those black skies are an absolute favourite of mine. And your photography is simply outstanding, you're growing in leaps and bounds in your skill with a camera! And funnily enough I saw a pic on Pinterest this morning of a stormy sea, and the caption was "all storms pass", whereas my first follow-up to that would be "as do sunny skies"... hmmmm

    I know it's late, but Anni dear, may you have a wonderful 2014, with balmy days and peaceful nights, and with loads of amazing images to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Shadow!!! I almost fell off my chair seeing that you stopped by for a visit, after such a long time!!! I love having you here again and all your positive feedback. Your friendship through the years means a lot to me.

      May your 2014 be filled with everything you wish for and an added cup of sugar to sweeten the pot, so to speak.

      Delete
  2. GOOD MORNING! VERY LOVELY PHOTOS. GEORGIA IS EXPERIENCING ODD WEATHER TOO. STAY SAFE AND WARM TODAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will!! Staying home probably and cleaning house to keep warm. That'll do the trick, right? LOL

      You too keep cozy in this wintry part of the week in GA.

      Delete
  3. I love that first Sunday picture with the dark clouds behind. Compared to the Northeast, we are getting away rather easily, but still it's strange to have the weather change so quickly. I'm heading off to see that hawk on your other site! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the hawk isn't posted yet. I'll let you know when I get it up on that blog DJan.

      Delete
  4. Man, that sky is really ominous! Love the grackles and their placement in the tree with those pops of color surrounding them. Neat-O! Cool to see the sandhill cranes and their flying formation.

    Thank you for thinking about me and the brown booby. Yes, we saw him...or rather saw the shape of him. :((( He was so far out in the water that all we could make out was the shape. If I only had a boat! I keep trying to convince hubby we need one. Anyway, I did see a common loon, Iceland gull, royal terns (pretty sure--or maybe caspian) and other assorted seabirds and waterfowl. It was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwww, shoot! That really sucks --'cause I KNOW you'd have taken some awesome images if he was close enough for you. I know I was sorely disappointed when all the posts at the TX birding sightings said they 'saw the booby'...and Bud and I go out there and only see cormorants pelicans and a few gulls. I have yet to see a loon. Can't wait to see your photo shares.

      Delete
  5. Weather and its constant changes is so natural and exciting. I really like your sandhill cranes flying in formation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much prefer the mild, constant, WARM!! [not hot, just pleasantly warm] :-)

      Delete
  6. all the photos are beautiful and our weather here in FL is doing the same yo you thing as yours.... that is new for us... weather has gone nuts this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's been a bit crazy all year last year and promising to be the same this year. Maybe. The USA didn't even have a land hitting hurricane last year, and that is nearly a record breaker too.

      Delete
  7. Anni we love your pictures as usual!! Bravo on the last one. Quick finger for sure. Cold cold moving to NC today we will have between 9 and 11 degrees tonight.
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness!!!! C-o-o-o-o-l-l-l-l-d!!!

      Delete
  8. A fine descriptive comment. Interesting abrupt weather change and the few birds you saw were pretty ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh that hawk we saw at the beginning of Sunday's drive was so pretty with the sun on its feathers and red head!!!

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos Anni. We are buried under snow here with wickedly cold temperatures. It's nice to see the beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snow...and wicked...go hand in hand in my book! :-)

      Delete
  10. Love your pictures! I still can't get over our weather. Went into church Sun. morning close to sweating and came out freezing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, welcome back and happy new year to you and your family also.

      Delete
  11. Dear Anni, This is true. The weather last night and today is pouring rain!! Tonight the wind chill will bring the temps to 20 below! I am not looking forward to this evening!!. Tomorrow will be better though.
    Stay safe and stay warm. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...gonna have ice before dawn then, I'm sure. Keep warm while the oven is heating up as you bake us up something special!!

      Delete
  12. The weather is definitely the topic of the day around here. It's about as cold with the wind chill as I can ever remember. Crazy weather.
    Beautiful photos. That black sky is ominous looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, if we don't like the weather one day, Just wait --and it will change. It has been a crazy winter for sure SO FAR... Our temp today is sitting right on ZERO --all day long--and there's snow on the ground.... Supposed to get even colder tonight --which will be a record low for us (at least for over 20 yrs.).... BUT--the 'milder' (at least milder than now) is coming back soon... I HOPE.... ha

    Happy 2014.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's too darned cold for me.

      Delete
  14. Great photos! I really like pictures with a dark sky.
    What a difference a day makes! I wish that was true here. We've been under blizzard warnings today and it's so cold. But - more of the same is predicted for tomorrow. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nasty, more than likely with the lake effect your blizzard are probably white out conditions.

      Delete
  15. Anni, I would take your balmy 42 over our high of 15 tomorrow. Love the Crane shot. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll try and ship you some of the 42 if it can be promised to me that the tropical winter temps will come my way?!!

      Delete
  16. thanks for always sharing your memories with us!! I need to go thru my Corpus birds and post them for you!!! I love the church, i have many pics of it. However I love the flock of Cranes quiet awesome.

    There is an old tree going out of Corpus over the harbor bridge out that way toward port a but think it is closer to robstown it is closed off to public because of its age it is amazing....do you recall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tree you're talking about here is not near Robstown, but much closer to Rockport.

      Delete
  17. Crazy weather here, too - up and down, up and down. No wonder people are sick!! Love your photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep this time of year the germs tend to fly around instead of freezing up.

      Delete
  18. Love the Sandhill Cranes, so pretty. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
    Happy new year!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for returning my visit Marie.

      Delete
  19. We got the same weird weather here...but a different day...It started in the fifties, but by dark it had dropped into the twenties. Now it is about 10 degrees and everything is freezing up. I hope tomorrow's forecast for a warmup is right...I do not like the teens at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...anything below 60 is getting to my bones these days.

      Delete
  20. Sounds like a little of the Arctic Blast drifted down your way. We had a high of 30 today which wasn't that bad for our area. Great photos Anni.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, it has. And it'll be a couple days before the 'norm' returns.

      Delete
  21. we had a huge winter blizzard over the weekend with below 0 temps Monday it was in the high 50s and tuesday about 15 with an even colder wind chill...crazy and cold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crazy and cold indeed!! Seems everywhere.

      Delete
  22. how wonderful to see the majestic Sandhill Cranes in formation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I love to hear them calling, and then, trying to find them 'cause their sound carries a good distance from where they actually are.

      Delete
  23. The weather sure has been weird! Wow a drop of 20° is a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...for ME it's a lot. I guess to some, most probably think I'm a whiner. LOL

      Delete
  24. Wow. That is crazy cold for TX. I love the image of the sandhill cranes taking flight… beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this area of Texas to be sure!

      Delete
  25. Love the capture of the sandhill cranes flying in formation. The weather here is crazy too - it has been raining every single day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wishing we could get some of that rain. But, after it warms up a bit. Don't want it to rain now 'cause it'd turn into an ice storm.

      Delete
  26. it seems that saying about the weather applies all over the place. I've heard it used for several different areas.
    Love all your shots

    ReplyDelete
  27. The skies may be ominous but the trees and birds against it are stunning! Be thankful your not in my flash freeze storm zone!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Argh...lost three comments.... Love the photos... See if this short one goes through

    ReplyDelete
  29. Heisann!
    Wonderfull sky views - different locations, each with interesting themes!

    ReplyDelete

.