my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Memories of Christmases Past...

It's been a chilly blustery few days this past week and...rainy, misty, dreary on Monday!! With trying to get back to a healthy body after this cold, I have become a bit stir crazy. Usually around here, if the weather leaves a lot to be desired one day, the next day it's all well and good again. Not so this week. I've been reading a small soft-cover book that Bud found for me at Half Price Books...it's all about ME?!!! No, not really, but it's about the winter blizzard[s] of 1948 and 1949...of which I came into being during the blizzard that ran amok over most of the central plains states and farther south. VERY interesting. Tho, the author moves around from state to state a bit too often, the life-line stories of some of the survivors and the loss of livestock in Nebraska [the state in which I was born], the torture, fears, phenomenal stamina those folks dealt with is, to say the least, riveting. The book goes from day to day, the snow fall records, the generosity of country residents taking in and harboring those in need of shelter...a great historical value for me. And the family stories I heard as I grew up, brings this  narrative to life for me.

Okay, so then, more stir crazy adventures. I did put a halt on the cobalt blue crochet project while Erik was here for the few days. And I have yet to return to working on it. No, I haven't given up yet, but I am taking a break from it all. In the meantime, I took my scrap yarn carpet bag out of the closet the other day and began a simple, new project. For my cell phone. I saw these cute little boogers on Pinterest quite a while ago, and bookmarked it after finding the instructions online. And of course, I did a little tweaking on the pattern; instead of round circular wings I made two smaller triangular wings to look a bit more 'real'. With a little buttons here and there, I have a new owlet cellphone carrier. I will add a couple more things before I use it: two belt loops on the back side and I plan to line it with some material so the button-nose won't scratch my cellphone screen, along with adding an interior pouch to carry my ID. That way I won't be needing to lug anything around my shoulders or neck when birding and having the binoculars and camera strapped on me. No need to tote around with me, any excess 'luggage'.

Our annual viewing of Polar Express DVD came about this past weekend also. It's my all-time favorite holiday movie...surpassing any of the classics. We still have GRINCH to watch, then, Christmas can come to our home on the 25th. LOL The theme song from Polar Express is a favorite of mine also. Tho, my #1 Christmas Carol is "I'll Be Home For Christmas"...always has been since my parents are no longer with us on this earth. The dreams and memories come forth full force when I stop and listen to the lyrics of this song. AND --the 1980/81 Miller High Life Beer commercial with the instrumental "I'll Be Home For Christmas" always makes me shed a tear or two...the farm house in the commercial looks just like my grandparents' house, not to mention the huge red barn at the beginning ---memories of playing in the hay loft on a cold winter's day and the warm, sweet scent of the hay below as I jumped off for fun.  
How I wish I could go home again. :::sigh::: Oh, and Bud came home the other day with a new released DVD...Red 2. Will watch that this evening during our dinner hour, probably.


...the year was 2009 and I composed a post of questions other bloggers asked of me. With Christmas coming so near, I thought I'd re-share this particular question that Pea @ Pea's Corner [she no longer blogs] asked: Here question- " As for a question for you....what is your very favourite Christmas memory? "

I answered as such: "That's difficult since I love 'em all. I want to say equally...I've loved 'em all equally. Let me begin by saying when I was single, my parents made Christmas a very special day. We always went to church on Christmas Eve so the actual day was family only. All day long. I loved waking up to the wonderful fragrances coming from the kitchen. Mom and Dad both would get up before daylight and begin cooking while we kids were still asleep. I shared a bedroom with my older sister. As the light of day would start peeking through the windows, the two of us would be heard giggling with anticipation of the day. [SHE was my Santa...what I mean by that is...when I was a kid getting gifts from the big guy...and I'd get out of bed and rush down the hall to the tree, the gifts from Jolly St. Nick would be there for me with huge tags with my name on it!! If I hadn't one time verbally recognized my sister's hand writing on the tags...I would still be getting presents from Santa!! I just KNOW it!] I guess what I'm trying to say is, I remember the year I found out all this. And on my own. No one came right out and told me...I figured it out and blurted that it was my sister who was Santa to me. That year, I got what I wanted too...a huge doll...a doll in a wedding gown I had seen at the store while shopping for other gifts. I wished for that for weeks before Christmas. I can still see the room where the tree stood in all its holiday glory and beauty. The fireplace lighted and glowing and crackling its warmth for everyone. I can still smell the turkey roasting...and doorbell ringing continually as other grownup brothers and their families arrived for the big day! Oh and by the way....I still have that doll!!! She's continually packed away with other 'toys' of mine. But, I know just where to find her...I brought her out of hiding just for you Pea!! By the way.........the year? 1958!! I haven't had Santa visit me for over 50 years and I still believe..."

Lastly, I had mentioned that I had to retrieve my Santa Boot that I fill each year; with Rice Krispie Treats. I cleaned it out from it being stored for a year's time, and made my usual double batch of treats, wrapped them individually, and filled the boot!! Ho ho ho....





sidebar linking to THURSDAY THOUGHTS & Friday Random 5

32 comments :

  1. Anni
    What a great post. Not only are you a talented photographer, artist, crocheter but your writing draws me in making me feel as if I'm there with you. I think you might need a literary agent.
    I volunteer to be your PR gal
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwww, how kind of you sweet M&M!! You two rock blog world too, y'know?!!!!

      Delete
  2. All past Christmas memories are fond ones and to narrow it down to just one I couldn't do it. I'm glad you're on the mend. We have been under a lot of rain. It finally moved out Tuesday evening, but now we're getting a bit of cold blast. Our lows are in the mid-20s, which I do not care for at all. It's better than what some folks are having to deal with, but still I'm a southern gal and I do not like the cold. lol Thanks for sharing such a lovely post for today's classroom assignment & for joining my Thursday Thoughts linky party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me either....I don't like cold any more. Lived in that temperate zone for too many years, now it's sub tropical for me.

      Delete
  3. I love your owl phone carrier! Also enjoyed your memories. It's fun to reminisce. Our road look like that clip today and there are some of those crazy drivers out there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it used to scare me all the way to work, or on the way home during the winter highways...crazy.

      Delete
  4. You reminded me of Christmases Past, too. I get all nostalgic when I think of my family. I was the oldest child, but I never had to be Santa. My parents did that, and I can remember times coming out to look at a tree piled with presents. What memories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this...such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your visit Rose, and I have now added your blog to my blog list.

      Delete
  6. Your Christmas memory is so sweet. I'm glad you re-posted it for us newer followers. If only we could go back to those innocent times...now Christmas is so commercialized and everyone on their gadgets (me included). When I was little, it was just me, and the excitement of Christmas morning was too much, so I would hurl every time! Thank goodness I got over that. Well, thank you again for the nice post and enjoy your rice krispie treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never know what it's like to be the only child of course, but I can't help but think it would've been very special.

      Delete
  7. Seems no one around here ever slows down in the rain or snow, and I don't know why! How wonderful that you still have the doll! And she has a wedding dress on and can open and close her eyes. I have not kept ANY, boo hoo! Your owl cell phone holder is awesome! You could make big bucks selling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're easy to make, and quick...short time to make 'em.

      Delete
  8. Hi There, Just stopping by to say HELLO. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did --and as you can tell from my blog post, we traveled and traveled… ha

    We haven't had a blizzard here --or any snow at all yet (sigh)…. BUT--we have had ICE (yuk)…

    Love you little cellphone holder… CUTE…

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great Christmas too Betsy.

      Delete
  9. Meant to tell you about a new Christmas CD we downloaded. It's by ThePianoGuys and is named A Family Christmas… Very nice.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Christmas music...especially piano.

      Delete
  10. Always fun to look back at Christmases past. I love the cute owl. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy your weekend too, Eileen.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful post. Your blog is adorable. Congratulations. Kisses and happy holidays.
    This is my blog, see you:http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The little owl is so cute and will make a perfect phone carrier.
    You have some great movies to watch for the holidays. The one I have to watch each year is It's A Wonderful Life, it can't be Christmas until I see it. I have Reds 2 in my video library on Amazon and I'll watch it this weekend. If it's half as good as the first I know I'll love it.

    I do live in the snowy climate but we don't get enough snow here for people to learn how to drive in it, they always go too fast. That was the good thing about Anchorage, most folks had no problems but you could sure tell who the newcomers were.
    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red 2 is good...but I am not sure it's as good as the first one. Actually, for me, the last half hour was the best.

      Delete
  13. A wonderful post filled with memories and fun and so much love!! Thanks for sharing part of your heart with us!! (We like Polar Express, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oohhh those rice crispy treats look good! I live in a snowy area...always have. I can't imagine not having snow and I think i would miss it terribly....crazy drivers and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought I'd miss it too....but I was very wrong!!! LOL But, it helps to have a change of seasons, which is perfect here in the subtropical part of Texas...with no snow.

      Delete
  15. that was a good find on the book. I love your owl cell phone case. very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was, and it's interesting reading. Thanks Ann.

      Delete
  16. Your owl phone carrier is too cute! How awesome that you still have the doll!

    Such a delightful post, Anni!

    ReplyDelete

.