“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Whazzz-up?



There is a HERO in every "walk" of life!! A calf, Hero, with no back hooves gets 'a lift' from veterinary surgery. Read more...




Our local theater, Harbor Playhouse, opens their annual Christmas Musical this weekend...From the 1843 story by Dickens...A CHRISTMAS CAROL. We've attended this several times, and it never fails to completely entertain us!!! The amateur actors do a fantastic job under their directors. The music, the singing, the stage direction, the scenery...all very well done.


For the last 23 years, the world renowned cattle ranch, rich in Texas history, will hold their annual Cowboy Breakfast on Saturday, the 23rd of November [it's always held on the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving]. It's a good way to visit and see a partial area of the historic ranch and enjoy a breakfast of coffee, juice, eggs, sausage, beans, and tortillas in an outdoor, ranch-hand, atmosphere!!! We've attended several times, and depending on the weather, Bud and I may go again this year. Not only the breakfast that is attended by thousands from around the Coastal Bend, there are exhibits and live music, along with cattle roping in the arena. A lot for $6!!! It's been a couple of years since we've been...


As I was sitting on the patio bench, letting the water drizzle slowly on the potted hibiscus tree, a small leaf fell and touched my lips before it landed on the hand rail...reminded me of the Nat King Cole song..."A Blossom Fell" and touched two lips that lied...it's no lie!!


For me, personally, I have no qualms about the Christmas Season Decor showing up in the shops/malls before Thanksgiving. Why not? Afterall, the boutiques, stores, shops, malls are there for us to enjoy the ambiance many-a-times, and they ARE there for one purpose; to bring in revenue. So, I say why not?   If you were in the shoes of retailers, you'd be doing the very same!!  I tend to have an open mind, I don't shut the door to thinking this is not right, to those who disagree, I have two words...Bah Humbug. In fact, since it's just the two of us at home now, we actually don't BUY, buy, buy...we just enjoy the festive surroundings and the hustle and bustle of the city shoppers. Anyway, the day we walked the mall for exercise, it was a cloudy, gloomy sorta day, and seeing all the bright, sparkling lights and the colossal tree in the very center corridor, my spirits were lifted.  The child in me was in awe.

PS...this is my last post for the upcoming week. Today, before I begin preparing for the special day Thursday next week, I will try and catch up on my visitors from yesterday, here in Blogville.  I don't plan on returning to my blogging schedule 'til Monday...after Thanksgiving.  I will, tho, have a pre-scheduled Birding Photo Link Tool set up for those birders that frequent my Photo Blog...so, if you're missin' me a bit...then, stop by to view the birds I've seen recently. . . at "I'd Rather B Birdin'"...or, if the link just provided doesn't work...it can also be found on my sidebar.  Erik is coming to be with us several days while his classes at the university are on holiday break. We expect to help him grade term test papers and have fun being together...over eating...playing games...and going on a few day trips close by. So, to all my American visitors, have a safe, blessed holiday. Enjoy the turkey and all the fixin's. Everyone else...have a great week ahead. See you in December. 


Random 5 Friday
Camera Critters 
Thursday Thoughts

55 comments :

  1. I stopped by to at least link up to your Thursday Theme Song meme to discover that you had discontinued it. :( Oh well, I certainly understand why, if participation was low. That can be a bit discouraging. But, I'm glad that I found your blog home so that I may keep up with your writings.

    I'm with you, I do not mind that stores set up for the Christmas season before Thanksgiving. It use to bother me to see things beginning to show up in July, but that's only because we had small children and I didn't want the festivity of Christmas to be taken lightly. Now, the kid within gets all giggly and happy to see the pretty decor months in advance. Have a lovely Thanksgiving with your family & friends. I hope you'll decide to hop over when you get a chance at my new blog home Curious as a Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, that's been discontinued for quite some time now for lack of participants. Enjoy your week ahead Cathy, and thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  2. Oh, we aren't going to be in town for the Ranchhand breakfast this year! We have friends who will be working in it. If you go, I hope you have good weather and even better food! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with Erik. Be safe, and see you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy your time away...hope it's all for a fun weekend!!! I'm hoping for good weather too. Thanks for the good wishes Shelly. Hope your holiday is a good one also.

      Delete
  3. I love the story on Hero!
    Sounds like you have some fun things coming up. Enjoy them and have a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari, and glad you liked reading about Hero.

      Delete
  4. I'd have to go to that King Ranch breakfast if I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably make it here in time from OK.

      Delete
  5. Interesting story!
    Nice photos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Anni and thank you for the wonderful post.
    Christmas is surely popping up everywhere here too. Of course Thanksgiving is a week later this year too.

    YES we got it. MOL #2
    Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about it being late this year, and don't like it one bit...makes Christmas come and go much too quickly. LOL

      Delete
  7. I read the Hero story and enjoyed it very much. What spunk! And a pox on whoever abandoned the poor guy. I pretty much ignore all the Christmas stuff and just do my own little corner of it the way I like! Have a great Thanksgiving, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bittersweet, with a good, happy ending.

      Delete
  8. The ranch breakfast sounds fun and a great yearly tradition. Hope you have lots of fun with your son. Btw, my boss has an Erik with a k too. Great young man. I'm sure lots of bloggers will be taking time off for the holidays. Enjoy yours Anni. And thanks for the linkup every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and enjoy your week too Gail.

      Delete
  9. That breakfast sounds great! Hope you get to go! Enjoy your holiday and Erik!! Looking forward to photos and stories when you come back (please!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the weather forecast...and the actual weather. We're supposed to get a week long cold front move in...so one never knows.

      Delete
  10. hope you have a great thanksgiving, anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the same to you Ms. "T"!!!!

      Delete
  11. Keepin' busy, makin' us dizzy, time out have some fizzy! Frazzled, razzled, dazzled, hazzled, it's the season, it's the reason. We ALL need a bloggin' break! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cutie, Love the little calf story.. How sweet….I enjoy "The Christmas Carol" also--along with several traditional Christmas programs and movies/shows.. The Ranchhand Breakfast sounds nice --but we probably wouldn't go if we lived near simply because we don't like crowds….

    Well---I love Christmas --but don't really choose to get 'into it' until after thanksgiving. I can understand why stores/businesses do it --since it's their big money-making season… But--when I walked in Cracker Barrel in September and heard Christmas music, I almost gagged…. I love it---but not all year long….. OH WELL.

    Hope you two have a Happy Thanksgiving. We intend to as we will see George's son and family this year. I have a Bird Blog tomorrow --and then I'll take 2 weeks off.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. That breakfast sounds down right delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it' is pretty good, but it's more the atmosphere that I appreciate. And their work involved that makes this happen.

      Delete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving to you also and as always thank you for your comments in my log.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. ...thanks Jennifer. Hope your week treats you well too.

      Delete
  16. Oh, I hope the sweet little calf will do well!
    I'd visit the King Ranch and partake of that yummy breakfast if I lived in Texas. Sounds fun!
    I love everything about Christmas and have no problem with it being in the stores now. But I do have a bit of a problem seeing it in the stores before Halloween! That's a tad early, imo.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...That calf is so sweet. I loved reading the story. Thanks Cheryl, and have a great week yourself.

      Delete
  17. Like you, I don't really have any thoughts on early holiday decorations -- as long as they occur after Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh Halloween should be a 'holiday' frenzy too. LOL

      Delete
  18. i love your bloggy background - i am totally distracted by it ... so fun!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....hope it's not too distracting that you miss reading my post. [kidding] Thanks, tho, Beth.

      Delete
  19. Have a good holiday. See you after Thanksgiving Annie. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and, enjoy your holiday too Dianne

      Delete
  20. Dropping by to say hello! enjoy your holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'm happy you came by "mar"

      Delete
  21. Oh, and I am now using my real nickname ;) not the short form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nice to know, I will add your blog to my blog list so I can pay you visits often.

      Delete
  22. Well I don't mind seeing holiday stuff in stores although I do think having it there just after Halloween is a bit much. I love the festive part of Christmas though so I just enjoy it for what it is. But I won't put up my own stuff at home until after Thanksgiving.
    The play sounds like fun and so did that Cowboy breakfast.
    Have a great Thanksgiving.

    Here is my link for whenever:

    http://wishesdreamsandotherthings.blogspot.com/2013/11/random-5-friday_22.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we had a wet and cold front move in this morning...and the temp was 75 around 6a.m.---now at 3 PM it's 48!!! And cold, cold rain. I won't be surprised if there isn't icy streets/trees tomorrow.

      Thanks for the holiday wishes and I send them to you too!!

      Delete
  23. what a touching story about the calf :) the Habor playhouse Christmas was awesome so glad we got to visit it love the yellow leaf great pic :) talk about a cold front ...it is 32 and feels like 20here with drizzle (snizzle as we call it here) HUGS and Happy Thanksgiving if I dont see you before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRRRRRRR. It's forecasted to be 39 degrees here tonight/tomorrow morning. Been mighty gloomy...no sun for days. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

      Delete
  24. Dropping by to wish you happy holidays. You always have something interesting to post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for the holiday wishes...and thanks for the positive feedback. Both, much appreciated.

      Delete
  25. Happy Thanksgiving, Annie. Love your post. I had been very delinquent in my duties, I know, and I hope to make up for it. Nice visiting you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I look forward to your visits again. Thanks for stopping by. And congrats on your grandson's birth.

      Delete
  26. What a busy time in the US! I'm glad our Thanksgiving is in Oct., as I'm gearing up for CHristmas. Except for one son, who totally eschews it all. sigh. He's a spoil sport. My other son comes home this year, from Vancouver. I'm happy!
    Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed your story on Hero! And that breakfast sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so late, but I am here now and those raptor images...just outstanding. I wish you a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete

.