“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






They Call Me Mellow Yellow....

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY & NATURE NOTES:  Tho it seems like Winter is just 'round the corner for everyone in the northern parts of the states....it's still summer-like here. Ya, we've had a couple of 'cold snaps' weather-wise [lows in the high 40s], but it has warmed up quite a bit. Sunday past, in fact, it was close to 90 degrees.  I'll take the HOT any ol' time instead of icy roads, snowy landscape, shoveling...getting the snow blower out, driving with maniacs that don't have the sense to slow down on snow packed roads...you name it. Admittedly the snowy landscapes of my 'home state', Colorado, are gorgeous, I called Colorado home for over 40 years, but now it's time to enjoy some sub-tropical winters!!!  Wildflowers are still blooming in the fields and parks wherever we roam. Some flowers, hibiscus, lantana, bird of paradise, and that funny named plant [Ixora]...of which I can never remember are blooming in the back yard...along with plant nurseries bringing out the bedding plants that most people plant in Spring. The likes of pansies, impatiens, etc.   Of course poinsettias will soon be on the plant stands.

These photos I share below are some taken recently on our bird walks. Along with two birds seen - Female Baltimore Oriole and either Eastern or Western Meadowlark [they're far too similar for me to decipher which is which]. When I saw the meadowlark through the viewfinder on the camera, I thought it was a dickcissel [which is nearly identical to the meadowlark]...but when I uploaded it to the computer and saw the size and shape of the beak, I then knew it was a meadowlark. Both bird images were taken at Paradise Pond in Port Aransas, Texas....on Mustang Island.




HODGEPODGE - hosted by Joyce

1. What lesson has failure taught you? Like Scarlet O'Hara says: "Tomorrow's another day!"

2. What decision are you glad you made? To retire early. And enjoy the coastal waters in our 'golden years'.

3. I've been a little bit surprised to see fully lit and decorated Christmas trees popping up for the past several weeks in friend's Instagram feeds. So tell the truth-is your tree up and decorated, and if so when did that happen? If not, when will you be decking the halls? Our tradition for over 40 years was to put the tree up and decorate it while the Thanksgiving Turkey is roasting. But, lately, it's being decorated whenever the urge hits....and no, it's not up and decorated yet. By the way, by 'up' I mean an artificial tree.

4. Solitaire-Poker-Rummy-Hearts-Go Fish-Old Maid...which game of cards would you most like to join? My favorites are UNO, Hearts, and Pinochle.

5. This question comes to you courtesy of a Facebook friend, who once upon a time had a blog...When you're feeling stressed do you snack a lot or are you more the 'can't eat' type? Rarely do I have the urge to eat/snack when stressed. But, these days, thankfully....no stress.

6. Have you ever reviewed a product or service on line? Was your review favorable or less than favorable? I've reviewed several...not only online, but through newspaper editorial comments I've written. And magazines. Also, both negative and positive reviews, I've done.

7. What was the best conversation you had yesterday? "Just one more box, and we're done!" Meaning, we took EVERYTHING in storage from the garage, organized, tossed, swept...and rearranged. It's been a chore that I've been wanting to accomplish for a couple of years now and just never got the mojo working 'til yesterday. I was happy to have it cleaned out, and happy to BE DONE. The whole job of work took the two of us nearly 10 hours!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. Speaking of yesterday, in the early morning hours, still dark o'thirty...we had thick fog outdoors...How I LOVE FOG:


[photo courtesy of local news]

connecting to:
Wild Bird Wednesday, Hodgepodge, Nature Notes

70 comments :

  1. Nice shots! My favorite is the female Baltimore Oriale. Haven't seen one in a Coon's age. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard that expression in a long time...well, in fact haven't heard it in a 'coon's age'!!!

      Delete
  2. Funny to see two blogs, almost simultaneously, with pictures of female Baltimore orioles. They are pretty birds. And I too love fog. We get plenty of it here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thing is, we haven't had much fog in the last few years...wishing we had more of those days.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that fog was something else yesterday. Normally, we would have been able to see the flames from that King Ranch gas plant explosion from our house, but I couldn't even see past the front porch! Love those gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but it was pretty fog! LOL

      Delete
  4. i'm loving the flocks of meadowlarks in our hay pastures these past couple of weeks. they sing so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, a very pretty sounding song from them. I agree. Wishing I could see flocks of them like you.

      Delete
  5. Oh such lovely blooms Anni! I am hoping to see a B. Oriole next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck...we have several different orioles here during migration.

      Delete
  6. first off I like your personalised wallpaper. An answer to Q3... Unfortunately we have a xmas tree already up in the conservatory, it was a present from the mother in law who insisted so much that she put it up herself..... much to my annoyance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MILs can be an annoyance. LOL

      Delete
  7. I'm reading your words about all that is left to see in your corner of the world as I stare out my picture window at bare trees and brown leaves on the ground and an overcast sky and temps not reaching 40. :)
    Would be wonderful enjoying the golden years in warm surroundings.
    Lovely images Anni!
    My Christmas tree is up but not decorated yet. Going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving so want to have it ready to go when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably go ahead and decorate the tree beforehand. But, that's me.

      Delete
  8. I don't like cold weather, either, or extremely hot weather.....we've had some nights in the 20s but mostly in the 40s with days in the 60s. I could live with the 60s year round. I'm loving the Fall, our Maple has been beautiful this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maple trees are prime for this season to be sure. The colors are always extraordinary.

      Delete
  9. My understanding is that the only way to tell the difference between the Eastern and Western Meadowlark is by the song they sing ... if there is another way, I would love to know it. Your pictures are always wonderful and you comments often make me chuckle ... it is interesting how people in our generation think alike :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....guess there IS a generation gap then. I've always wondered. Now I know.
      Glad you enjoyed this post Andrea. And I appreciate your knowledge in IDing the difference of the two.

      Delete
  10. Your climate is much like ours in south Florida. The flowers are just starting to bloom and vegetables are sprouting up in the gardens.We get bouts of fog too.However our neighborhood is "reclaimed" and the trees are young. Need to drive a bit to see majestic Live Oaks. Birding has slowed down and the arrival of the Yellow-rumped Warblers signals the end of migration-- or the next phase, when the blackbirds and sparrows start coming in. I've seen both Eastern and Western Meadowlarks together in New Mexico. The Eastern whistles "Spring of the Year!" while the Western gurgles "Look at me, I'm a Meadowlark!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'll try to remember that about the meadowlarks.

      Delete
  11. Mellow Yellow was one of the first songs I used in your Thursday Theme Song post. Great photos as always. And I, too,think retiring and moving to Gulf Coast was an excellent decision as we all benefit from your pictures.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I liked that song back then, and still do.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful shots of the flowers and birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Carver

      Delete
  13. I like the sounds of your winter much better than all the snow and ice some folks put up with! The birds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....we have a hurricane season that most people don't put up with also, but guess you can't get away from nature's wrath so to speak. Thanks Mick, for taking time to leave a comment. I enjoyed your pied cormorants.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos! We'll decorate our tree on Christmas eve before sauna & porridge and then we'll eat the big meal later in the evening. We don't usually decorate very much for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still go all out decorating, even if it's just the two of us. I have 'em here, might as well use them instead of keeping the decorations packed away. I like your holiday tradition.

      Delete
  15. I love your yellow flowers especially now that everything around here is brown now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...color remains here year 'round most always.

      Delete
  16. Pretty birds and yellow flowers. The Meadowlark is a gorgeous bird, I just wish I could see it more often. Great post, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, this is the first I've seen this far south.

      Delete
  17. I call Colorado my home too, but I was only there for 16 years. That's where I saw my last meadowlark. I haven't seen any here in the east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I must admit, they're rare here too....especially this close to the sea. I can probably find 'em out in the prairies of Texas, but to see one just less than a mile from the Gulf...it was unusual.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful photos taken on your bird walk.. You still have some Fall colors down there. Ours are all gone --and winter is coming!!! What happened to Fall??????? Geeeeeesssshhhh.

    My answers:
    1. I have learned to let things go rather than fret over them or try to fix them --when it comes to Family Problems...
    2. To leave the family, move to TN, and meet/marry George Adams....
    3. We always get through Thanksgiving before pulling out the Christmas decorations...
    4. Used to love Canasta and Bridge
    5 Used to eat when very busy and stressed out; do NOT do that anymore--but these days, I don't have stress!!!!
    6. NO--never done that; Have bought ALOT online ---but never reviewed it; Take that back... I bought some coffee online --and it was terrible. I wrote a terrible review online then.
    7. Talking to hubby about completing our huge job of getting the leaves out of our yard!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, our Fall lasts 'til Spring...we very seldom get cold enough down here.

      Delete
  19. I'll take your warm over our cold too!
    Your yellow pictures are very cheery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the cold...it's the snow I dislike.

      Delete
  20. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge, and your wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love love love the beautiful pics :) thank you my friend for sharing !!!! The day we came back from Corpus after being there 4 yrs it was 31 and freezing rain got to love OK weather. I so miss Corpus, I sure know that arthur didn't hurt so much down there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...early in the morning when I'm finally reading your comment and it took me a while to figure out who "Arthur" was. rofl

      Delete
  22. We've only begun to be cold, and already I miss flowers. Thanks for sharing yours! I especially enjoyed seeing the meadowlark, too. I haven't seen one of those in decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me either...that is why my first thought on IDing it was a dickcissel.

      Delete
  23. I love seeing the beautiful flowers and birds. I'm already missing my flowers, but the birds are now starting to flock around the feeders! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that reminds me...I must clean out our feeders and refill them. :o)

      Delete
  24. Nice birds - neither of which have I seen in the feather!

    I like fog - as long as I don't have to drive!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Stewart. And I agree with driving it fog...if it's THICK fog.

      Delete
  25. Love the fog shot. Where was that taken????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't say...as you can see by my note below the image, it's courtesy of our local news.

      Delete
  26. Beautiful photos, once again, Anni! I love fog, too...we don't get much of it around here, sadly enough. Our garage needs to be organized badly...I'm pushing for the spring. Just too much going on this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, this time of year, after such a long hot summer, I'm ready for cleaning. LOL

      Delete
  27. I think fog is interesting too. I love it on the lake here. About links in the HP...I don't mind people linking to other hops, posts, etc if they are also playing along in the HP. In the past month though, I've been getting recipe links, links to other hops with nothing in the post-just a join this hop link, etc. If there were only a few playing along I would let it go, but with so many blogs to visit it's frustrating. I will see how it goes today : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting Joyce, and have a great time Thanksgiving with your family.

      Delete
  28. Oh how I need some of that mojo, so I can clean, organize and toss out a few things in our storage house! Kudos to you for getting it done!
    On the other hand, I've always found fog to be kind of depressing, and I absolutely hate to drive in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving in it CAN be spooky. But the silence and how sound DOES carry through fog is what I like.

      Delete
  29. I've heard Mustang Island is a great birding area. Would love to visit there. That second wildflower looks like our butterfly weed. Lovely images, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it IS a super birding area. Especially during the migration seasons.

      Delete
  30. lovely series Anni

    ReplyDelete
  31. The fog picture-love this-a great writing prompt for my class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a prompt...it what way?

      Delete
  32. I love the color yellow and your photos. I have visited your bird blog Anni and have participated in your birding meme.... Thank you for the reminder of your bird blog.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....yes, I know you have Michelle, and I appreciate it. It's always good to add links to share birds with other birders.

      Delete
  33. Lovely images, both flowers and birds. Hmm...the Meadowlark...that made me wonder...if they stay around here during the Winter months, or not...I cannot ever remember seeing them except in Spring and Summer months~

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such pretty blooms! Gorgeous images as always, Anni!

    ReplyDelete

.