“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Nostalgia Lane...

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY & NATURE NOTES
links to join found on my sidebar
[photos will be enlarged if you click on any of them]

For a couple of weeks now, I've been wondering if we here in South Texas were going to even see a Fall Migration. Guess I was jumping the gun so to speak before this past weekend!! Finally, the ducks are arriving. And we were dazzled by quite a display on Mustang Island Sunday morning, early!! The Redheads [ducks] were coming into the large pond at Aransas Birding Center [Leonabelle Turnbill Center to locals] by the hundreds! - - -



- - - Behind the dried cattail/reed in the image above there is a very large 'fresh water' pond. By that I mean it's actually run off from the town's waste water treatment plant. There is a ship channel that goes into Port of Corpus Christi to the right, a couple of large salt flat pastures that has been turned into birding sanctuaries that surrounds this pond...for a couple of miles circling the area. Observation decks, both ground level and three story-raised are found throughout the area. At one of the salt flat pastures, there is a huge gazebo for birder programs/talks/expeditions. Anyway, as we spent a goodly hour/hour and a half at the Birding Center just ooooohing an ahhhing over the display of migrants and year 'round residents, I'll show you a bit more of this particular spot for us...


...at the parking lot, you begin your walk at the park-like entrance to the pond and observation decks. [photo to the left -1st one] Here, with the abundance of trees, from willow, mesquite, to live oak, there are a couple of benches in the shaded area where during the Spring and Fall, many many migratory birds such as warblers, tanagers, rails and such seem to congregate. There is a small run-off creek meandering in this area. Middle photo [2nd photo] is the beginning of the boardwalk to the pond...here you are warned that this is also an alligator habitat. The boardwalk is not raised too far above the water level most times...so the birds and alligators CAN BE up close and personal. The last small photo [3rd] shows you part of the pond...this photo was taken last winter, not many birds at the far end.


On the top level of the central observation deck, I spotted way in the far distance, on a power pole, what I thought at first was a hawk. Tho seemingly a bit too small for a hawk. As I watched it through my binoculars, I could see it was what I think is a peregrine falcon....in the close-up photo you can spot the dark 'vertical mask' of a peregrine falcon. I only took these two photos without zooming too much 'cause I waited a good 15-20 minutes on the deck hoping it would turn and face me so I could really zoom in...it was a bit too stubborn and I gave up and watched the bird activities on the pond instead.






HODGEPODGE
link to Hodgepodge questions found on my sidebar



1. [Joyce's sister] is celebrating a birthday today. What's one way you're like your siblings? If you don't have siblings how are you like your lifelong best friend or cousin? We're ALL quite independent.

2. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of yourself at age eighteen? Thinner!!!!!

3. Sculptor-actor-painter-dancer...if you could excel in one of these arts, which would you choose and why? I'll go with the reasoning first...only 'cause I like to dabble with art already, and it's very VERY relaxing as a hobby. I choose painter... I get so busy with a project, I tend to forget what's outside the world of painting and it's a good thing.

4. What's a scent that takes you back in time, and where does it take you? Mowed Hay....takes me back to my youth and my grandparents' farm.

5. November is for Peanut Butter Lovers (National Peanut Butter Lovers Month). Are you a lover or a hater? What's your favorite dish/recipe that calls for peanut butter? Peanut Butter is just 'okay'. I don't dislike it, but I don't crave it either. I enjoy a peanut butter and black raspberry preserves sandwich once in a while.

6. What do people thank you personally for most often? Helping them with their questions, making them feel loved, helping them by holding a door open...not just ONE thing. Be it several different things, from cell phone tech to cooking a good meal. It depends on the day.

7. What event this year are you most thankful for? It's more or less UN-eventful, but....Thankful for my life, period.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
This'll age me but...
Remember WHEN? >>>

...gasoline was 25 cents a gallon? [early 1960s]
...the family sat down together for a meal. AT the TABLE?
...one car in the garage sufficed for the entire family?
...there was no daylight savings time, and the sun came up and went down on regular time? Ummmm, hate to inform you, but it still does!! In fact, statistics show that more energy is being used during the daylight savings time than ever before. Go figure.
...kids actually WANTED to play outdoors?
...entertainers, both on stage and tv, DRESSED in suits/fashionable dresses [or at least dressed!!! ]?
...having BIG CHIEF tablets in your school desk kept you in the 'in crowd'?
...no one thought of gun control? Kids of 12 or younger RESPECTED a weapon ... used only for HUNTING season?
...professional sports was NEVER 'over-televised'? And the pros were never egotists?
...a loaf of bread was 18 cents?
...kids entertainment was Saturday Morning Cartoons with the likes of Daffy Duck, The Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn?
...there wasn't such a thing as margarine in the early 50s?
...a movie matinee was 10 cents?
...a new auto was less than $1000.00?
...a house was less than $10,000.00? [standard, of course, nothing like Hollywood!!]
...starting wage was $.75 [cents] an hour?
...soda fountains were in drug stores?
...cameras had FILM?

-------what else?

74 comments :

  1. I like your answer to #2. I wish I was as fat as I thought I was back then.....lol
    Love your random answer too. I don't remember all of those but quite a few. The good old days. How about S&H green stamps or free gifts with a fill up at the gas station. I remember we had a complete set of dishes that we got from filling up the tank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...S&H Green Stamps...my mom used to save them...

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful to be close to a good fall migration spot. Love the falcon shot, it is a great sighting. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and this 'group' was just one of many that came in while we were there...it's an awesome sight!!

      Delete
  3. Your birding are is really a pretty spot!
    The scent of fresh mown hay takes me back too. I grew up on a farm and can still see that field next to us being mowed. :)
    I don't remember gas at 25 cents, but I do remember 50 cents. Boy, does that sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it does, doesn't it? With the wages of today and gas so cheap....heaven. LOL

      By the way, love your new profile image.

      Delete
  4. Great pictures of all the birds.

    Do you remember when: if somebody was five minutes late you did not feel the need to send then a message checking if they were still alive, you just ordered another cup of coffee and waited a bit longer - and then they arrived!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....you're so right on Stewart. Today, it's all so 'tech' that no one stops to take a breath and enjoy an extra cuppa.

      Delete
  5. #2 made me laugh out loud! And I loved your remember when's. It doesn't seem like some of those were all that long ago, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Shelly, too bad the simple days of yore do not return. Sometimes I'd like to live a day of 'nothing'...y'know?

      Delete
  6. I remember going to the Saturday matinee at the local theater for 25 cents! Love the retro picture at the old soda fountain! I remember those, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....root beer floats never tasted so good as the ones at the soda fountains.

      Delete
  7. LOVE mowed hay. LOVE peanut butter, too - chunkier the better. :)

    great spotting on the peregrine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anni...

      very nice photos ... great captured !

      Best regards

      Delete
    2. Timur...thanks for the positive feedback.

      Delete
    3. "Tex"....I'm still not sure it's a peregrine, but I feel 99% sure. LOL Mmmmm, crunchy peanut butter, I haven't had that since our kids were home.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful series Anni… Please consider yourself officially invited to participate this year's 5th Annual Gratitude (word) Quilt. Instructions (it is very simple) and a link that explains the origin of the word quilt can be found at the top of my blog. In past years there have been participants from every continent except Antarctica. If I’ve already invited you, and even if you've already sent your "patch" I apologize... I am trying to reach as many people as possible to make this the most expansive word quilt ever, and sometimes forget whom I’ve already left this message for in a comment, and since I don't know all of your last names, it makes it even more complicated for me to remember. My intention is most certainly NOT to spam you. I hope you'll join us it is really amazing when all the words unfurl on November 27th, Thanksgiving Day in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a wonderful creation you've made for the world to participate in...I commend your spirit!! Thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the peregrine falcon! I'd love to see one in the wild. I do remember those Big Chief tablets and wanting to play outside. I'm sure that's why I was so thin. The good ol' days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....huh? Playing and staying active like a youngster does [anyone under 60 is young y'know] keeps the thin coming through. The good ol' days indeed.

      Delete
  10. Anni, your offering is perfect!! Thank you so much:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great....thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  11. MORNING ANNI!!
    Great aerial shot on the ducks!!
    We enjoyed the random thoughts...surely brought back memories of good times that have passed.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the good ol' days, huh? :o)

      Delete
  12. Wow, that's quite a flock Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and there were several of these coming in the longer we stayed.

      Delete
  13. I can remember those things listed in your random thought!

    What an exciting day (and place) to be birding!! Wow!! We aren't seeing flocks arriving yet, here in Florida, though we have lots of birds all the time. They will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either I've been over anxious this season, or it's running late for migrants...I don't know which. My sister told me a flock of 200+ sand hill cranes flew over her house in Colorado. But I don't think their path will be anywhere near me...probably on their way to New Mexico and into Old Mexico. Yep, eventually they WILL come your way [your seasonal visitors that is]

      Delete
  14. That bird refuge sounds great and all the ducks are amazing! I like all your "remember when's" but I dare not start my own list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...after a while, my mind when into over-drive on the 'remember when' list. Yes, this is a great place for birding. Never a dull day.

      Delete
  15. Hey Anni I can definitely find you a Snipe to look at. But you'll have to come over to cold, wet England where you will probably need to wear your Long Johns (do they sell those in Texas?). Wow I'd give anything for those places where birders are actually catered for rather than being a nusiance, an afterthought.

    As to your question What is the event this year you're most thankful for? What about "Another Birthday"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...had mine already. Don't need TWO birthdays thank you. And yes, we do wear long johns when it drops to about 40 degrees.

      Delete
  16. Loved the list of good ol' stuff -- much of it I remember well. Thanks for the nice memories Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Nancy.

      Delete
  17. That's a lot of ducks. Too bad the falcon didn't cooperate. It's a handsome bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had gotten another peregrine earlier than this while we were driving there...so not all lost!!

      Delete
  18. Skirts weren't so short, pants were fastened at the waist (not hanging on for dear life at the plumbers butt line), Kids didn't swear, marijuana was the worst possible drug and none of the kids even heard of the idea of getting high. We rode our bikes everywhere or walked, at least to school. Dad was the head of the household and Mom didn't work (not in my case ... my mother was a nurse, but most Moms were home). Cats and dogs ran loose and nobody had to carry poopy bags ... oh I could go on and on. Did you ever think you would hear yourself say ... "in the good old days!"? As for your bird pictures ... I agree, it's a Peregrine Falcon and how lucky are you to have a bird sanctuary so close. Are you anywhere near where the last wild Whooping Crane Flock winters? Great post as always ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there WERE whooping cranes quite near us last year...just about an hour's drive. But the massive wintering spot for them is only a COUPLE hour's drive from here. They can be seen from the mainland with binoculars, but it's best to go out on boats to the islands.

      Delete
  19. I remember almost all of these things, it was a kinder gentler time. No locked doors or gangs. You never heard of food poisoning or many other diseases, no drugs. BUT no remotes, cell phones or computers. Which would you choose???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I like the reference to a kinder and gentler time frame.

      Delete
  20. What a WONDERFUL post!
    Enjoyed seeing your bird shots. I think the alligator warning might have held me back. :)
    Eighteen and thinner! Oh my yes!
    A terrific random thought that brought back many memories for me. I guess I'd add Hullabaloo or Go-Go boots. I remember changing classes in Jr. High( we changed in an orderly straight line not in mass) and you could see white boots all up and down the hall. I also remember Bonomo Taffy. Vanilla was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One time we were there, we could have bent down on the boardwalk and TOUCHED the larger of the alligators that make this area a 'home'. It was that close to us.

      Delete
  21. Ah, the good old days when we walked to school and the shops and were fit. I think we got our first bedspread on pinky stamps, were poor as church mice to start with and took the children to the park not the movies.:)
    Love your sighting of the Peregrine, I used to have them nesting at my other place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see nothing wrong with going to the park instead of movies. There is fun to be had...and getting outdoors to boot!! You had peregrines nesting?!!! How lucky.

      Delete
  22. You are so lucky to have a hot migration spot! That looks like a lot of fun watching all the birds in flight! Such a beautiful time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky to be there at that time...there were dozens of OTHER flocks coming in all morning.

      Delete
  23. OMG I love that boardwalk, I miss CORPUS so much, esp the nice weather thank you so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....except for the miserable humid summers?!!!

      Delete
  24. HI Anni How wonderful to have a place so close to go birding and especially when you can see birds migration. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  25. Random thoughts-love these and all so true. At dinner when daughters are home, we still sit down to eat and all cell phones are put away out of sight!! Family time is still a priority here at dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD for you and your family at dinner-time!!!

      Delete
  26. So much of what you shared for #8, I can relate to. Wow...I feel really OLD now! Times sure have changed! Yes, being thankful for your life, in general, is a GOOD thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, it IS a good thing. The weeks ahead and months to come, no one knows so...be thankful for life in general.

      Delete
  27. I remember some of the things mentioned, quite a few actually. We were just feeling thankful to see the gas price down to $2.99 in the South. We're still over $3.00 here in NJ.

    We see the Canadian geese migrate here, and especially down across the Chesapeake when we lived in MD. There is something about it that always makes me feel a little melancholy. I can't explain it...maybe it's the sure sign winter is on its way. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the melancholy that takes over with a change of seasons.

      Delete
  28. Yes, I do remember those 'good ole' days' that you spoke of in your random comment! Do you remember when your family got their first telephone? Did you have a 'party line'? Remember those l-o-n-g phone cords? Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes....party lines. As a teen, of course, I liked to listen into the conversations being had by some other household. Nasty, I know....but back then, I thought it was 'fun'.

      Delete
  29. Great pictures you show Anni. Wish you a good Wednesday :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you had a great day too Hanne.

      Delete
  30. I don't remember that time, but I'd like to go there. Where's your Delorean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a Delorean would've been around back then. LOL

      Delete
  31. I loved all the remember when stuff. I am a trivia buff big time. The peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwich sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is yummy, but it MUST be black raspberry for me. Always.

      Delete
  32. Love the first shot of the ducks coming in. Fun to reminisce with that list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was blown away....but of course, LIVE was better than the photo. Always is.

      Delete
  33. Notice a chickadee this morning. I relate them to freshly fallen snow.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a chickadee here in our neck of the woods.

      Delete
  34. I'll miss our birds! Happy you can spot them!
    Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean....I miss 'em too. But always very happy to see their return.

      Delete
  35. I still have ducks here Anni..there will be some open places on the Niagara River and Lake Ontario...Love the photos and the thoughts...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it MUST be a slow migration year then.

      Delete
  36. how wonderful to see all those migrating birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it WAS quite a spectacle!

      Delete

.