my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Autumn Splendor



NATURE NOTES & WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
Michelle & Stewart are hosts..
Follow with links provided on sidebar










HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week.
Follow with link provided on sidebar


1. What was your biggest worry five years ago? Is it still a worry? It's been a little over five years since my heart ablation, so worrying about the surgery was probably an issue with me at the time. I'm here, I survived, so it's no longer a worry.

2. October 15th is/was National Grouch Day...what makes you grouchy? What cheers you up when you're feeling grouchy? Rarely do I get grouchy. I guess if I catch someone lying to me, I get grouchy. But, it's more 'silent' than grouchy. And I tend to breathe deep and remind myself that in 100 years whatever made me grouchy in the first place; it'll make no difference. Once the convincing of that thought actually penetrates my brain, I'm no longer in the grouchy state.

3. In one word, how does it feel to be photographed? Disheartening
[my photo tells me I'm older than I feel.]

4. Besides your parents, who would you say had the greatest influence on you in choosing your life path? Explain. From late childhood I was influenced with family life... by other happy families besides the one I was part of...I wanted to be a parent of two children; a mother of a son and daughter. I accomplished that goal which is what life is about, right? A daughter, Irene, and a son, Erik. Of course, I had to have a husband also!! LOL Hello Bud!!

5. The crisp days of autumn are here ...what's something you like to eat, but only if it's crisp? Apples, fried chicken, bacon are a few to mention.  Oh and I like CRISP fresh blueberries [I don't care for cooked blueberries in comparison to fresh].  I love to pop a crisp blueberry in my mouth and have it burst open  and savor the delicious juices trickling and teasing my taste buds!!

6. What's the most useless object you own? Golly...that requires some thinking to come up with an answer. :::thinking, thinking::: I would say our large telescope. We haven't used it but once or twice in the last decade. It was purchased for the time we lived in the Sonoran Desert where the open sky was ideal for planet watching. Here, not so much because of the city lights. In any case, I can't convince myself to hawk it at a pawn shop 'cause someday I might want it again. For now, it's just a dust collector!!!

7. Share a favorite fall memory. When a youngster, there was always anticipation this time of year to drive to the high country in the Colorado Rocky Mountains and see the Aspen trees in all the Autumn Glory. Just the drive around the curvy mountain highways/dirt roads and watching from the car's windows could even make this pre-teen silent with just the view. The deep valleys and shadows, the colors from evergreen to brown, with gold, yellow, red and orange...framed against the azure sky and cotton ball clouds, oftentimes the panorama was reflected in a far away lake...all pitted against the jagged, rocky crevices of the mountain range...it's just something that was memorable, spending a day or two in the week...always a thrill to us all in our family. We never tired of the trips. Sometimes, we'd have a picnic on a snow bank with an open fire. The odors of a campfire, the smell of the fallen leaves and the ground covered with aged pine needles...all surrounding us, just like John Denver's lyrics tell us...it truly is a Rocky Mountain "High"....ahhhh, the simple pleasures!!!

photo courtesy of Google Images


8. Insert your own random thought here. There were a couple of books I found while perusing the Texas Shelves of Barnes n Noble in our town the other day, and both were way too costly to purchase without knowing their contents and reading any reviews first. So, I decided to go to the central library a while back and see if they had them. One was published a few years back, while the other I found was more or less 'newly' published. The two books, as seen here, I thought would be of interest to me because 1] I live in South Texas and 2] Anything dealing with the history of the King/Kenedy family and the Texas Ranches in this area always catch my eyes/thoughts and interests. Once home, I began with Mr. Givens' "Great Tales" - a History of South Texas. And I began with the first chapter. Within only the first paragraph, there were a couple of grammar errors that threw me in a tizzy. You know me, I've mentioned it before,...when there are typos or grammatical errors, I instantly wonder who proof reads these books before they go to the presses? So,  I just went through certain chapters that pertained to the proximity of my area. I learned about a couple of colorful characters...my favorite little short story was about Sally Skull [Scull]...a mean, tough ol' broad of the wild west!! That chapter was interesting enough to do a bit more research online and I found this historic bio which, in all honesty, brought out MORE of her life than the book!! The author, Murphy Givens, is/or has been, the history columnist for our local newspaper. But, the book itself, is NOT worth a plug nickle in my opinion!! And the publisher's asking price [on the book store shelf] is a nickle shy of $45!!! I don't think so!!  Now, on the Texas History Shelves, I spied this book and immediately it caught my eye. "Petra's Legacy". It's a pictorial biography of sorts about her life! The life of a most influential and one of the largest cattle ranches in the world. She was a widow with eight children by her first husband. She marries Miffin Kenedy [who at one time was the partner of Richard King of the famed King's Ranch near Kingsville, Texas which is still in operation today]. I WILL Give Subtle Hints to Bud around Christmas for a gift idea for me...lol!! It's of great historical value. And previously, I checked out Letters to Alice [Alice King] some time ago by the same authors, and enjoyed it immensely. Inside the cover of Petra's Legacy, it's quoted as "This is a story so large in scope that it should be a movie," "But it’s bigger than that. It should be a mini-series."

57 comments :

  1. Hello Anni...

    you´re Halloween Blog-Outfit is absolutely marvelous :)

    And your photos today .... wonderful :)

    Enjoy your Tuesday...

    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOP OF THE MORNING ANNI!!
    AS ALWAYS your pictures are lovely!! Oh do I agree with #3. I don't know how old I am in my mind surely not as old as my mirror and photos show and what is up with the age spots. Before long on will not need any more foundation make up...all of the spots will blend soon in a perfect shade.
    hugs
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now that's a thought!!! You go girl!! [not only no makeup, but we'll all be a good 'healthy' tan without the heat!]

      Delete
  3. Anni, I am finally back from my adventures and catching up on reading blogs. I love your pictures, and when I lived in Colorado we also enjoyed a drive to see the beautiful aspen after they had changed. It was incredible. I also enjoyed the rest of your Hodgepodge answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back DJan. And I just read your most recent post. Glad you and Frankie set a record on the jumps!!! And that your trip back was uneventful.

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy your photos and today was no exception. Such nice memories of family time in the mountains. I could just picture it!
    That was one pricey book. I love books but that's too much for me too - and for that price, there should be better proof reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $45 for a book of old newspaper columns that I've read in the past, is too much to dole out. Not worth it.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a gull convention Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was...and this is only PART of the 'convention'...the gull population that day went clear down the coastline!!! For a LONG way.

      Delete
  6. I've got both those books and love them! I hope your subtle hints are fruitful. :) Love, love, love the pictures. And when I was in Corpus yesterday, I couldn't help but have a feeling I was missing something, but couldn't figure out what. Then it hit me- no road construction- yea!!! So glad for you all that it's finally complete-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not care for the "Great Tales" at all. Too redundant from what I've read in his newspaper columns. But the Petra's Legacy is something I want to have in my collection to be sure.

      Oh, you're talking about Staples no doubt!!! Ya, MOST of it's complete...when you get into the old part of town tho, it's still under construction. As are a LOT more streets.

      Delete
  7. The photo of the Rocky Mountains is superb! Love your memory and I agree that simple pleasures are the best. Hope you have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gail. Yep, simple pleasures are the best and happiest along with their memories in years to come.

      Delete
  8. Autumn is a special time of year fot me... so many changes and so much to see..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes indeed Andrew. A special time of year in so many ways.

      Delete
  9. Great photos of the gulls and terns on the beach and the colors in the Rocky Mountain one are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rocky Mountain Range is indeed majestic! And beautiful all year 'round. Except when the fires take hold....but they return to their beauty quickly.

      Delete
  10. It's always fun watching the gulls. Beach bums indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,there were so many of them that morning!!! I was a bit astounded.

      Delete
  11. I read a lot of books on my kindle and I've noticed that typos and grammar errors are all over the place. Obviously editing isn't what it used to be

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot to tell you that you had me laughing like crazy over the comment you left on my blog. I wish I had seen more naked in the stores or at least something similar but it's been the same old stuff lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's kinda sick sounding I know...but trust me, I'm not jumping the fence,.........but NAKED on the stores' shelves reminds me of you...or at LEAST YOUR archived post! ;o)

      Delete
  13. Hello Anni, I love your photos! The beach and gulls are always a pretty sight to see. I never liked my photo taken, I am just not photogenic. I love crispy apples and simple pleasures! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when it comes to simple pleasures...you and me both!!! Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful photos! Deep thoughts!
    Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks...just as long as I don't sink with all that depth [snort]

      Delete
  15. Great bird photos......

    My answers to the questions:
    1. My weight---totally out-of-control and affecting my health; Today though ---I am healthy and am working hard to keep my weight under control!!!
    2. Politics and the way our country is run certainly makes me grouchy... I want to do something to FIX it --and can't. My vote is only one vote out of many... I just 'need' to let it all GO.
    3. OKAY--with it NOW... A few years ago--not so much!!!! ha
    4. My Band Director in high school; She was AWESOME --and that's why I majored in Music in college.
    5. Honey Crisp Apples for sure!
    6. Ice Tea Maker --sitting in our kitchen; We NEVER use it. I need to get rid of it.
    7. Playing in the leaves with my kids when they were young!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Betsy. As for the iced tea maker, I think it would probably sit on your counter top also....unused.

      Delete
  16. Colorado is a beautiful state. I'd love to visit there some day! Also, if Bud is like most men and husbands, subtle hints do not normally work...just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, then Bud isn't like most men....I'm pretty sure if I don't give any other hints, he'll get me the book. :o) But then again, maybe not...he's good at surprising me too.

      Delete
  17. I live in Canada and just finished reading a fictional book set in our area. It was a great read as the landmarks made the story come alive. Hope you can get past the grammar in your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can get past it, but it sure makes me stumble!!!

      Delete
  18. Your fall memory of visiting the Rocky Mountains was just wonderful! I've never been to Colorado, but I love to listen to John Denver sing about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you can see Colorado some day. It's a great state...I miss the mountains this time of year...but now I have the beach to call 'my own'...so, can't have both worlds. And I too like John Denver songs.

      Delete
  19. Your Colorado mountain picture is breathtakingly beautiful! Hoping one day I can see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if my memory serves me correctly this is LONG'S Peak. You can see if from miles away to the east near the Nebraska border. Seriously.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful are the photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! So many gulls. Lovely shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post Adam.

      Delete
  22. You've got me craving a blueberry : ) Mushy fruit in general doesn't appeal to me. I guess I'm usually surprised by my photos too. In my mind I'm way younger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too...talking about them, I had to get a loan from the bank yesterday, and went to the store to purchase some blueberries.

      Delete
  23. I do enjoy reading your posts, they always pose a thought or two. Lovely images again, well done Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...why thank you Dave for such a positive comment!! As I am of your incredible journey through S. A.!!!

      Delete
  24. Wow! So many gulls! Have you read any books of the Texas author, Elmer Kelton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't even heard of this author. Will have to look it up to see what he has written. I do like Texas history.

      Delete
  25. Your fall memory-beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it truly is something from my youth that will NEVER be forgotten.

      Delete
  26. Hello Anni! Thank you for stopping by my page yesterday! Your festive background is also very cute! I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo!! Terri...glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  27. the gulls on the shore are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like you have some happy birds your way... My husband is always writing letters when he finds errors in books, on TV and in the paper.. It bugs him..Thank you for linking into this week's Nature Notes Anni..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Like all the coast photos. The last time I went to the coast was to either Port Aransas or Aransas Pass with a friend to baby sit with her Mom's cat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the beach bums - standing on a beach doing nothing at all is one of life's great pleasures!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always enjoy looking at your pics, Anni. Wish we had autumm here!
    While I love to take photos, I hate being photographed! The camera just hates me - I look really bad in photos!

    ReplyDelete

.