my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...all that J-a-a-zz!!

RANDOM 5 FRIDAY

1] Reading this article on our country's distaste of our own politicians...this one paragraph stood out for me 'cause it's what I've been saying all along. Especially recently:
    "Indeed, the NBC News/WSJ poll asked whether voters would be willing to check a box on the ballot that would defeat everyone in Congress, including their own representatives. Sixty percent of those surveyed were willing to play 52-card pickup and start all over again with 535 new members of Congress."

...read more of the article
I would've hoped for a better percentage tho...Vote 'em all out!!!

2] As you know, for the last two years, Bud and I do not have TV...we are very pleased with our final decision to not pay out nearly $100 a month for programming that is 80% advertisements!! Over the years, we found that we only faithfully watched baseball games from Spring to the Fall Classic and one series; NCIS. Tho, we do watch NCIS over the computer these days; a day later than televised on national TV. It works for us. But.....reading the news online, the entertainment section showed the 'winners and losers' of the new Fall Television Season. One of the winners was "Sleepy Hollow". Of course that caught my eye. I had to check it out online and Bud and I watched the pilot edition and became interested. Another fantasy/time warp into the past and future genre. Not bad. We will probably continue to watch more episodes online and follow it for a while longer to see what pans out. Besides, this Ichabod Crane is eye candy!!! LOL Oh, and NCIS...loved the episode of "Under the Radar" shown on October 8. And I don't miss the character Ziva either. The more I think of it, Cote was wise in leaving...being a trained assassin from the Mossad became a bit stale in my opinion.
photo of Sleepy Hollow character courtesy of FOX™

3] I was notified of this change and wanted to share it with y'all... Google now has new terms of service if you've not kept up with this in your profile settings!! Thing is, now, if you click on share you are automatically endorsing advertisements through Google and your name and profile photo/link will show up on their endorsements! There is a way to keep control over this...simply go into your Google account settings and make sure your "Shared Endorsements" is on OFF...here is a screenshot from my computer:



If you have a Google or Google Plus account...login as you always do and then find account settings...look for Shared Endorsements as I highlighted in red above in the graphic. Also, Google's terms of service explanation can be read here in its entirety....click

4] Today is the first day of the 3 day Jazz Festival.  I always enjoy walking around to all the stages [I hear the city has added an additional stage this year]....bigger and better.  We'll see.  Bud and I plan to attend the festivities...if the weather cooperates.

image courtesy of festival headquarters


5] While at Blucher Park, stopping there after lunch at What-a-burger on the Bay, I spotted another rarity!! A rare Hummingbird. But, photographing it was something of a challenge. It flitted [rather rapidly too I might add] from one blossom to the next, and I couldn't get a chance to focus well. After about 30 minutes of 'chasing' it from one area of the park to the next, Bud finally spotted it perched on a small tree branch. The lighting in the shadows wasn't all that good, but I did eventually acquired a few photos on the camera SD card. The reason we stopped there was a whole 'nother species of bird...the Chuck Will's Widow. But after traipsing through the high grass and getting my feet soaked in the remaining dew, I was ready to call it a day and go back home. The photos are still on the camera's chip, and I'll get them re-sized; eventually adding them to my bird photo record --the blog-- "I'd Rather B Birdin'".
While having the camera lens shut down and walking back to the car, I took a few photos of what I was up against trying to follow and capture the hummingbird on the camera...this is the area it was located/spotted. And the red flowers are what was attracting the bird....[a native plant to Texas...the Turk's Cap].  ---above four photos--- Hummingbirds, for the most part are green, and nearly identical to the grasses/plants in color here....the only way I could see it is when it would MOVE!! Also, I spotted this bird --photo seen below-- on the wire and snapped a photo of it on the cellphone. I'll share this one also since I could email these photos to myself right on the spot!!



60 comments :

  1. Hello Anni....

    wonderful photo !! My favorite is the Hummingbird ... love them :)

    Have a nice Weekend...Enjoy :)

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Timur. For me today, I really enjoyed your long-eared squirrels.

      Delete
  2. Great Random 5 post ! I fed hummingbirds all summer and never got a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are a difficult bird to get a good clear photo of them....they just don't rest much around feeders or when they're feeding on flowers.

      Delete
  3. I so wish we had better Internet service to enable streaming -- glad you are enjoying some of the new shows this season.

    Your post reminded me I need to bring in our hummer feeder before it freezes.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week, Anni. Much appreciated! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting Nancy

      Delete
  4. Whataburger and hummers- what more could you ask for? Sounds like a seriously good time! I hope the jazz festival lives up to its hype this year- they've had some really good music in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud and I enjoy the "old style" jazz. So hope some of the bands play the oldies but goodies while we're there.

      Delete
  5. I did not know about the google endorsing thing thanks for sharing this..we do not have Hummingbirds here at all and I miss seeing them live...your bird on the wire is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always one stickler for privacy and being online sometimes, you give up that 'right'...it never hurts to share info like this to others. At least I think so.

      Thanks Lynn

      Delete
  6. Thanks Anni on the Google tip I will be checking that out. I wanted to see Sleepy Hollow but I was sleeping when it was on just the thought must have worked:)
    Your photos are wonderful. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, if you do get a chance to watch it, I'd suggest that you watch the first 'pilot' episode so you know what's happening.

      Thanks for all the positive thoughts today Buttons

      Delete
  7. enjoy the jazz festival. i haven't successfully photographed a hummingbird ... they are too fast and i'm too slow. Blucher Park looks like a nice spot to visit. i still have tv -- mostly for sports and i watch shows on the computer. fun 5! have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I thought I'd miss professional sports broadcasts...but surprisingly I don't at all. As long as I can keep up with the scores and the goings-on, online, I'm fine with that.

      Delete
  8. i love watching shows through the net. considering we don't have cable ... it works well. so much to see ... the hubby loves the learning stuff... documentaries at all. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too....learning never stops for us. One of our favorite documentaries was Planet Earth Series.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you - vote them all out!
    I haven't watched Sleepy Hollow but will have to check it out.
    Thanks for the Google info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's not bad. Sleepy Hollow with suspense and cop type drama. With a twist.

      Delete
    2. I think I'd like it! We haven't missed the Ziva character on NCIS either.

      Delete
    3. ...that makes three of us then...Ziva was beginning to be 'old hat'....trained assassin, forlorn Mossad...etc. etc.

      Delete
  10. Your hummingbird made me think of the freaky photo my mom showed me last weekend. She called it a "hummingbird moth". Have you heard of this?! Google it -- tried to add a pic here but it wouldn't let me.

    She's 73 and had never seen one before.

    Pearl

    p.s. Good idea to get rid of the TV. I think of that all the time, but my husband says he'd miss the sports...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud was an avid football fan too. And we both liked baseball but, in all actuality, I like NO tv better. Yes, I have heard of the hummingbird moth, and it's so similar in feeding as a hummingbird, they can be confused with the bird...often.

      Delete
  11. Your thoughts on #1 mirror my own. So sick of the games these politicians play. If my husband wasn't obsessed with watching sports 24/7 I would ditch the cable and be content watching my favorite shows through Hulu or the like. In addition to 80% commercials as you said! it's also 80% junk that I would never watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80% junk....yes, yes!! I so agree with you Gail.

      Delete
  12. i like ncis, too, and have watched it from the start. but i do miss ziva. :)

    the new show i picked up this season and REALLY enjoy is the blacklist. james spader is brilliantly cast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd really miss her character also, but I think a change in the program is a good change. I will have to check out Blacklist and see what that is like. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

      Delete
    2. awesome! i've loved every episode thus far! :)

      Delete
    3. ...the pilot we watched just 'blew us away'....very good.

      Delete
  13. I'm not a tv watcher We have one, but no cable. We get our local station which televises Hubber's hockey games... so he's happy! I was chasing a hummer around my yard all summer with no luck on the photo front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't be more happy with no tv!!! It's as bad if not ONE itself as any addiction.

      There'll be other opportunities for hummers!!!

      Delete
  14. Happy Friday Anni
    Is there a vaccine one can take to get over the 'need' for a TV. I really don't think we could do it
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...vaccine. Hilarious. I didn't think we'd be able to 'go without'...but I found out that it was more an addiction and once it was disconnected we began to do stuff together again. I like it.

      Delete
  15. Hi Anni, I haven't seen that NCIS episode yet and am not sure I want to either. The whole program has jumped the shark for me. I also don't have TV but our copyright rules here in Canada are different and I can see the programs I want to on line or thru downloads anytime and I much prefer to watch them without the ads. I England, we have the public channels ad free, but the other ones are catching up to the North American standards I'm afraid. Hoping you have a lovely weekend watching the hummers. Ours are gone for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they 'stick around' here for most of the year.

      Delete
  16. Great photos! Let us know how the jazz festival and the new stage are, please! My setting for shared notifications was already off, thank goodness. I appreciate the 'heads-up' though! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great weekend also, Terri.

      Delete
  17. Well, I hadn't heard that with Google. I really don't pay much attention to the ads on Google. I guess money from advertising does keep the cost down, but what a pain! Love the last bird shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, the bird is a Kingbird I believe. I guess I didn't post what species...sorry 'bout that. :O)

      Delete
  18. Wonderful photos and lovely Random 5!
    Thanks for the Google tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  19. I sure could do without the cable TV charges but streaming would be our only alternative and my husband isn't interested in any way about watching on computer. I also fully agree with your feelings on commercials and political changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we have a large sized computer monitor...good enough for just watching one program here and there.

      Delete
  20. Hi Anni, I believe my people are sick of politicians and this shutdown and budget fiasco. I miss my hummers already. Now, I can not wait for spring to see them again. Is the last shot a Kingbird? Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have several hummers here. They're only absent about a month in winter then they begin to return. Some months there are literally dozens at the feeders in our yard at one time.

      Delete
  21. Darn, I cannot spot him!! Actually, with my one eye kind of out of commission, it is really hard to see even blog print! Perhaps you will be putting other pictures on your bird blog. Thanks for the Google advise, they are so sneaky! I am not in Google Plus. And new commentators to me, I cannot visit their blogs if they are a Google member, because Google insists that I be one too. This is just not right, they want to take over the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Ginny, don't despair....the photos I shared today here shows NO hummingbird. You didn't miss out. The photos will be on my bird blog soon.

      Delete
  22. Thanks for the heads up on Google. I'll need to change that right away.
    Those Hummers are fast and hard to capture. I never seem to have my camera handy when they are around. I like the lovely little bird you did capture.
    Wow I would hate not having a TV - We have Satellite and can advance through all the commercials since we tape most of the shows we watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ida...if you have the firefox browser and watch 'free' stations like NBC, Fox, CBS, etc. the commercials do NOT come up with adblock.

      Delete
  23. Very lovely banner and fotos halloween, best regard from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have no TV in Denver and are considering removing it in Breck. We read a lot! You are a dedicated birder, that's for sure. Starting over with all-new politicians has long been a fantasy of ours. Thanks for the Google tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too like to read a lot...and I have picked up crocheting and drawing again which I stopped because of TV. I like what we're doing together now.

      Delete
  25. I had no idea about the google endorsements thing. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Many thanks for number 3; I just opted out of everything. Appreciate the head's up, greatly. visiting via A Rural Journal

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked Ziva, and her misunderstood words and phrases were always cause for a smile. I guess I grow fond of regular characters and don't like to see them leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not saying I didn't like her...it's just that perhaps the show can move on with a different twist now.

      Delete
  28. Lovely photos as always, Anni. And thanks for the heads-up on Google.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Still an NCIS fan, I see. Same here :) Yes, Sleepy Hollow has a promise but now we're hooked to Walking Dead as well. Perfect for Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete

.