my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


hi ho the derry-o, a beanin' we will go...

Like Alice of Alice in Wonderland, I seem to have lost some of my 'muchness'!!! I am having a difficult time coming up with 'new stuff' to post. Lately, it's been all about birding and health issues and the sultry weather around here. And I KNOW you're all bored to smithereens with that. I think perhaps, at least for this month, the drought has been broken. We have had some good downpours and street flooding lately. The yard has been saturated in the recent weeks to where we have had small ponds here and there. I'm not complaining. Tropical Storm, Ingrid, off the eastern coast of Old Mexico is supposedly going to be hurricane force by this weekend; which will perhaps give us MORE rain. Bring it on! Maybe, just maybe we'll have some water in the dried up tidal basins once again.

Taking a short drive to the islands the other day, we decided to go beaning. For the past three years or more, the drift seeds [even sea shells] have been very scarce on the beaches. We walked a few miles round trip and found very little that I could use to make some of nature's jewelry... [ link: a necklace I made from sea beans and glass]. The Sea Heart Bean [shaped like a heart] is what I really tend to search for, but they've been very elusive for a long time. I did find one that is reportedly 'coveted' by seed collectors; and that is the "Sea Purse" [or saddle bag] bean. Supposedly, again stated on web sites, this is an Asian seed....staying afloat across the oceans for up to four years!!! I personally think that perhaps the origins of the sea purse seed could be Asian....but I don't agree that the ones that end up in the Gulf of Mexico actually came from Asia!! Now here's my theory -- the sea purse floats along the ocean's current to land in Old Mexico, taking root there. And then, when the seed pods burst --in Mexico they then drift up to the coast of Texas. Just my thought. None-the-less I was pleased as punch to actually find one. The photo I share is the "Sea Purse" in my fingers. The ones laying down are a small collection from the day...the sea heart bean being a couple of them. By the way, the sea purse is very similar to the 'hamburger bean'...but more variegated and much larger!!


Oh, and y'all have heard of cicadas, right? When I was a kid, living in Nebraska along the river [oh we had a home, not just nomads and homeless...lol], in the long hot summer days the cicadas were so noisy sometimes it was deafening. I grew up hating them 'cause nearly 'round the clock they gave off that ear piercing mating song high up in the trees along the bank of the rivers. And up until we moved to Texas I had never ever seen one up close and personal. This past week, when I was out walking, one of those boogers flew right up into my face and glanced off my cheek to land on a branch. Luckily, I had my camera and zoomed in on it. I still don't like hearing them. Legend has it that when they start their noisy ritual there will be rain coming soon. I would much rather hear the raindrops falling from the sky!!

38 comments :

  1. Anni, glad you are having some much needed rain. But, not too much. Colorado is getting a bit too much. The beans are neat, I can not say I have seen them before. And I have only seen one dead cicada, which is fine with me. I hope all is well and you are feeling great now! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....well, at least ONE was silenced. LOL [my bad]

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your weekend my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try Denise...enjoy your shopping spree!

      Delete
  3. I have found several beans through my walking-on-the-beach years. I always called them "greasy stones." Now I know what they really are. I used them as worry stones. Thank you! We hear the multitude of cicadas here all day and all night long but have never seen one up close. Good finds and interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good way to polish the seeds!!! Bet they look great shiny and all.

      Delete
  4. I know the feeling of having a drought of blog fodder. Sometimes I think of something interesting and then I forget to write it down, and when it's time to write, nothing comes up. I have never seen a cicada in person and I'm not looking forward to it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I totally understand about blog fodder. Ya, having ideas before you're anywhere near settling down to post something...we should make notes. LOL

      Delete
  5. Hi there! I do love that you put your finds to good use by making jewellery out of them - you gotta show us some of your handy work :) We have cicadas here too and they do make an awful noise! So glad you've had rain - we're praying for our spring rains to fall. Look promising last night, and even this morning, but the sun came out and its a scorcher! Have a happy week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in regards to the rainfall, yes...I know just what you're going through....the promise of rain yet, nothing comes of it. We've all been there way too long here in Texas.

      Delete
  6. Good Morning, Glad you are not getting the 'brunt' of that hurricane --even though you do need rain. As you know, one of my sons and family live at the San Louis Pass (southwest of Galveston)... They know about hurricanes since Ike destroyed everything for them several years ago. Their tourist condo rental business has done great this summer... Hope the hurricanes stay FAR away!!!

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, the season isn't over yet...and I fear there will be some still to come. Oh yes, I remember IKE well. My son, who lives in Houston was gone on vacation and when he got back, his apt had to be fumigated...the power off for 2 weeks, and the refrigerator...well, just imagine the smell when he opened the door on his return!

      Delete
  7. nah im Gesicht möchte ich so einen Musikaten nicht haben..

    Regen..BITTE hier bei uns fällt er im Moment reichlich

    LG vom katerchen der ein schönes Wochenende wünscht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is quite an ugly creature, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I'm so thankful we're getting rain! And more and more rain! The Seed Purse is beautiful, and I agree with your theory, that they actually are taking root in Mexico.

    Batten down the hatches, build your ark- the rains are coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...by the looks outdoors 'bout now, it doesn't look too promising in my neck of the woods. If you get more rain up your way, hope it doesn't flood!!

      Delete
  9. that's a pretty cicada. we get the all-green ones here. noisy as can be... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty? Okay if you say so. ;o) I would like to see an all green one tho.

      Delete
  10. Neat shot of one of nature's gems ~ carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. NO, I have NOT been bored with your blog! Your health interests me greatly, we are all seniors and every bit of knowledge could help in the future. Plus, I care about what YOU are going through! The sea beans are magical, I have NEVER heard of such a thing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, what you posted here brings me great joy! Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Nice shot of a very interesting critter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're floating here in CO - I will send some rain your way. I've never seen or heard of sea beans - so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hopefully, we're gonna get some more rain from the 'remnants' of Hurricane Ingrid.

      Delete
  14. Those sea beans are pretty, I've not seen one here on the California coast. Enjoy your rain but don't float away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hopefully, the rains predicted to hit here early this week won't flood us out!!

      Delete
  15. I never get bored reading your posts. You have a way with words that no matter how many times you cover a topic it's just entertaining to read.
    While I have heard of and seen cicadas (ugly creatures by the way) I've never heard of sea beans. Very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, that was really sweet of you to say Ann. Thanks.

      Delete
  16. Great shot of the cicada! I spent about 20 minutes photographing one awhile back, so worried it would fly off or land on me. Finally, I realized it was just the dang exoskeleton! They are fascinating creatures but some loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loud, indeed!! But your comment on getting a photo cracked me up. "Sounds" like something I could do easily!

      Delete
  17. Never heard of a sea bean, I wonder if they wash up in Florida and Georgia? I will have to look if we ever get to the ocean this year. I am needing a beach fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they do!!! Keep your eyes open and search in the sea weed, if it's sea weed season.

      Delete
  18. Happy Sunday Anni and Might I add....never ever no never are you boring...we love your photos and your writing is very thoughtful and thought provoking...keep doing what you do.
    Hugs madi and Mom
    Hugs to Winston and Tahoe too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks M&M!!! And a biggo Texas Hug to Madi from winnie and tahoe.

      Delete
  19. thank you so much for your kind comment on my niece and her goals. it really meant a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your niece is truly inspirational!!

      Delete

.