my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




...a beckoning candle

T he gentle rains came.  Darkness fell.  With vision, I inspected the surroundings outside the window and listened to the drops of much needed moisture as they hit the window pane.  The soft, gilded glow from the street lamp created a saffron-colored mist in the air.   The bright prisms of the drizzle against the glass slowly slithered down, down and melded into its neighboring stream.  I felt peace within me.  I seemed to search for the beckoning candle from afar; wanting to hold on to the tranquility and serenity I wished to caress within my being.  My reverie remained as I then observed a likeness of my younger self in the mirrored reflection.  I was youthful.....  

M y sister and I were in our room.  We were giggling as only two girls who shared secrets with each other could.  Sitting on our bed, rumpled and messy, we rolled with laughter at some unknown situation from the distant past.  I enjoyed the short time from long ago; long lost 'til this very moment.  I smiled at the memory; silently sniggering at that instant moment.   As the image faded from view, all too soon, my muse was interrupted:  the youthful me was now a young, new mother of an infant daughter.  I held the bundle in my arms and marveled at the perfect form I had created.    Her tiny hands, how they were flailing from the fleece blanket as I grabbed to feel the warmth of my prize for being a good person here on earth.  A young gentlemen came to my side.  Dark,  handsome, and smiling largely as he stood by me and placed his strong hand on my shoulder, in silence.  He smiled down at the two of us.  He was my husband of one year.   I closed my eyes and remembered.

*D rifting scents from the open door brought me back to real time.   As I perked up and realized where I actually was, the reflections of myself in the window, all too quickly, had disappeared.  In the distance the sound of thunder calmed me and I once again viewed the outdoor storm from within.   The soft, delicate fragrance of pine hit me as a recurrent image of myself flashed on the gridded glass panel;  the rain-spotted window.  As before, I was a young mother.  This time there were two children.  A strawberry blond girl and a young, toe-headed, boy.  Both were pre-teens and it was summertime in the Colorado Rockies.  The family was on a weekend camping trip.  With a pitched tent and a camper trailer, two elders were with us....my parents.   My silver haired mother was stepping from the trailer with a tray of food to be prepared while my father, nearly bald and dressed in hunter's garb, was tending the pre-dawn embers.  The smoke from the campfire was filtering through the whispering pines and a low lying early, sunrise, misty, haze lingered... the strong odor of coffee brewing on the now glowing fire awakened us.  Soon a whiff of sizzling bacon in the cast iron skillet surrounded our little covey in the woods as we all chipped in to prepare the hardy meal to satiate our over-night fasting.  The lake, just feet away from our encampment, was sparkling like jewels under the morning daybreak.  The cotton like clouds lazily made their path across the cerulean sky.  The songs of birds could be heard, the dew was gently falling from the evergreen needles.  Chipmunks danced and scurried around us in anticipation of a tossed treat from one of our plates.  Family and the closeness to nature was pacifying.  Behind me, a snap of a fallen tree branch alerted me.  As I turned around, into view came a seven point bull elk.  His majestic stance was awe inspiring.  The light of day gave way to his lustrous, brown, gentle, cautionary eyes sparkling with a gleam of a single solitary chocolate diamond.

I turned back from the distraction and like a dreamscape, everything was gone.  My parents, in reality, have passed on from this life.  Our two children are now adults.  The slow moving trickles of the rain on the window turned to tears streaming down my cheeks as I looked into my reflection.  It's only my husband and myself, together growing old.  My hair is now silver as my mother's.  There is a slight baldness on my man's head.  Life has been full.  It's come a full circle.  The trance was broken when our dinner was ready.  The rain continued into the late hours of the evening.  With a full belly, and a cozy, dry home, I can say I slept in a joyous reverie of slumber after a relaxing evening.  And I woke up the next morning to live again.  A new dawn, a new day.


*photo shared is of Trapper's Lake in Northwest Colorado [a favorite camping area when I was younger and living in Colorado]

44 comments :

  1. Oh what a nice photo...really nice !

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beyond beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni this is a beautiful post!!!
    You are a talented story teller.
    Hugs Madi ad Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me really crying now. I was completely wrapped up in your story, following along like I was actually living your memories. You are a beautiful writer, if you can affect me this way. I wish you would do more posts like this, it is better than any best seller I have read!! Dreamy, yet true, time passing, then stopping, AWESOME, this post will be in my mind for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't intend to make you cry!!! But, I'm thrilled with your compliment Ginny

      Delete
  5. HEY ANNI JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU TO BE CONTINUED IS TOMORROW.
    HUGS MADI AND FEED ME IN FELINESE TRANSLATED IS FEED ME NOW, please.hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...again, thanks. I just read about the hairy drawers. LOL

      Delete
  6. Great photo and post for SWF,Annie!Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely skies, a beautiful place and a wonderful post as always, Anni! Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great contribution to SWF, lovely blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely photo Anni, and a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI There, You are an excellent writer. Have you published any books? If not, you should....

    Amazing how an event or smell or happening can trigger all kinds of memories in our lives.. I truly don't understand why people (especially women) are so afraid of getting older. We are in the best times of our lives --with all of the memories... Yes, we all do have some bad memories but most of us probably don't dwell on those not-so-happy times... We dwell on the joys and can look back on our lives with a feeling of satisfaction. Of course, we could have done things differently --but that's water over the dam. We did it--and did it the best we could. Life is GOOD... Let's keep on reliving those wonderful memories.

    Thanks for a great post.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...tho the memories linger, this really was a work of 'fiction' Thanks for the compliments Betsy

      Delete
  11. Reading your reverie took me back to my own youth and young womanhood. Like you, my hair is now gray and my kids are grown. However, we still have those memories, Anni - we're lucky. I like the photo of CO. It's been very wet here in the mountains and Denver/Boulder are having flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, my sister is keeping me updated. Altho, she lives on the Western Slope, Bud and I and the kids lived on the front range. Sad to hear about it all. Thanks Barb

      Delete
  12. How beautiful! Time is a funny thing. I like to go back and take out memories from my collection and relive them.....occasionally.
    I have BEEN to Trappers Lake in Colorado. Vacations there are some of my happiest memories! Who knows? Our paths may have crossed years ago - and we never knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...we just may have crossed paths before!! We spent many weekends and whole weeks at Trapper's Lake.

      Delete
  13. Lovely story and a beautiful photo, Anni! Thanks for sharing! Have a great evening and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice story. You have a way with words. Trapper's Lake looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a pretty area. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  15. I LOOOVVEEEEE this! Stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Shelly. Coming from you, you who can write so beautifully, this means a lot to me.

      Delete
  16. Anni - this is beautiful! You're a very talented writer. I could put myself in each of those vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful reverie. I was taken right in, and I enjoyed being there with you during those moments, so beautifully written and remembered. Thank you, dear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks DJ....glad you enjoyed reading along with my thoughts

      Delete
  18. Beautiful story and photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Anni how beautiful this was and I was so wrapped up in it.
    You are a beautiful writer. I also love the photo.
    Prayers for all those in CO
    Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...get to blogging girl!!! I miss you. Hope your weekend is a beautiful one too. [Ya, CO seems to get the brunt of all kinds o' wrong these days. Fires, drought, heat, and now flooding?!!!]

      Delete
  20. Love your story. Hope you are writing books and you are a great writer. Love your header too.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy Cow, Anni...I meant to stop by, read a cute post, leave a comment that next time you go to Fredericksburg to let me know and maybe I could meet you there...
    but, here I find a beautiful story, full of love and tenderness, that made me cry like a baby because I am in the same spot of life that you are in. I, too, often have memories of yesteryear...and while it is all good...it is all sad, too.
    You are just overflowing with talent...drawing, writing, taking great photos......what else do you do, my talented friend?
    Oh, yes....quilting....*heavy sigh...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...change that to QUILT bj. LOL, I'll never do that craft again. For that, I am sure.

      As for a trip to Fredricksburg, that sounds like a winner to me.

      Delete

.