my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Quilting, and drawing, and government..oh my!!

  • Watched a video this week that I wanted to see in the theater a long time ago but never did. "Take the Lead" starring Antonio Banderas. According to the beginning credits, this was based on a true story. About kids, troubled kids, who became a goal of sorts for the dance teacher [Banderas] to help them out by teaching them to dance. It was a typical movie; very predictable, but still a good family movie. It is more about the kids of "Harlem" in NYC, but the story, the story is also about the teacher...a dance instructor. Wikipedia has this:
      Pierre Dulaine (born 23 April 1944)[1] is a well-known ballroom dancer and dance instructor. He invented the Dulaine method of teaching dance. He also developed Dancing Classrooms, a social development program for 5th grade children that uses ballroom dancing as a vehicle to change the lives of the children and their families. Notably, his early works with children was fictionalized in the film Take the Lead, starring Antonio Banderas as Pierre Dulaine.
    Pierre Dulaine being the teacher of course. The DVD was found in the $5 bin at Walmart. It'll be one we trade in, but it was worth watching a one time.
  • It went like this...:::crash:::
    "Oh man-n-n-n!" "It's probably busted." "Yep! I need a new one...."
    Bud inquires: "What happened now?"
    "The blender just fell onto the floor after I washed it by hand!!" "The base of the pitcher shattered...look at all the pieces on the floor."
    As Bud helps pick up the shards [even flew across the room near the garage door into the litter box]...smirking, he asks: "How did that happen?"
    "It just fell!"
    "You should watch more carefully what you're doing Anni."

    After the mess was cleaned up, Bud started to clean his coffee pot carafe since there was hot soapy water in the sink from my cleaning chore.

    :::bang:::

    "Dammit"
    I come back into the kitchen, "What happened now?"
    "I hit the sink rim with the glass pot, and it cracked."
    In disbelief, I thought right away, "Irish Luck", but I think I was quoted saying "You should watch more carefully what you're doing..."

    We had to make a trip to buy a new coffee pot and a new food blender before the next day's breakfast hour!!
  • Bought the batting for my quilt project. Pieced together a back side for the quilt. I added a hand cut witch's hat on the back quilt piece. On the panel with the little girl witch that instigated this whole project were some extras on the side of the panel...some Jack o Lanterns, bats, and a crooked, twisted witch's hat....I cut out the witch hat, one of the jack-o-lanterns, and pinned it on my back panel and 'appliqued' it with the machine in orange. All the front blocks are sewn, the batting is on the floor all stretched out...will begin the sewing after a few days' quilting hiatus. I find it better, if I take a day or two away, the project doesn't seem so demanding. Besides, working on the floor getting this all together takes a toll on the back muscles I forgot I had!!
  • During the days away from working on the quilt, I finished another bird sketch that I started a couple weeks ago after I drew the woodpecker. This time it's an American Redstart. I remember the first time I saw one in the wild. I was walking around the Audubon Society's preserved Oak Motte on the island near Packery Channel, and I saw this black and orange small bird fly from the outer branches deep into the motte. It never came back out. I didn't know what bird species it was as I had never seen the likes of it before!! For longer than a year's time I never saw one, again, 'til this past Spring!! I got several photos of the male [they're the black and orange ones] along with his mate...she is grey and yellow! Anyway, I wanted to draw one. They are beautiful. Of the warbler family I believe, and very flitty, busy, and one of the most difficult birds to photograph; never staying still long enough to get a proper focus on the camera. The male is so very handsome with its dark black plumage on its backside with bright red-orange in its tail feathers and partial breast...while the belly is near a pure white. When courting, the male and female fan out their remarkably beautiful tail feathers to display their breeding colors. Here is a link to the Ornithology website of bird IDs. And, here is my completed sketch [obviously I added a bit of red-orange colored pencil to my sketch this time 'round to match some of its coloration] ...

  • Speaking of witches-------I've been waiting on pins and needles all summer, actually an entire year from last August...waiting for August to arrive at Tuesday Morning! Each year, this store, after putting the Spring and Summer goodies on an unbelievable mark-down, make room for their Autumn, Winter [Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas] items to go up on their shelves. Yes, I know...some of you think it's way too early for this. I don't! And I'm one of those that shows up at the store front waiting patiently for the opening hour. [well, I'm not that much of a nut-case, but awfully close] Anyway, I ended up at the store early one morning as it's across the street from a Walmart [and yes, Shelly, these both are located in the Staples Street construction area! LOL] where I had to get some cat litter. I walked in and saw no Autumn stuff...I was in shock...nothing in the front of the store that even pertained to Fall or Halloween!! Ack!!! But, as I turned the corner to the aisle they usually display them, the witches called my name!!! "Anni!! So glad to see you again." I bought four. I tellya, last year we went in the middle of August and the witches were either sold out, or not much to choose from: The early bird........... I got pictures of my quad witch group, but I'll refrain from postin' them so soon.
  • Any baseball fans out there? What do you think of the NYY's fiasco with Alex Rodriguez? All I know is, the Yankees really suck this year!! What happened? They really should just kick A-Rod and his ultra-ego out of baseball for life and get on with playing ball!!!
  • By the way, for more than just a few months, I've been following the civil rights movement of our government/president -our American right to bear arms for protection of our property and lives...and I hafta admit...I'm all for this:

    The national movement called "Come and Take it America".

    Those who agree with taking our gun rights away should remember:
    1. Guns set us free from the English Monarchy [Revolutionary War}
    2. The war of 1812, and the Spanish American War
    3. Guns set Texas free from Mexico...[The Alamo]
    4. Guns freed slaves from bondage
    5. Guns set us free from: The threat of Hitler, Japan, Middle East, etc. etc.
    6. The use of a gun [locally] protected a young boy from being shot by intruders that murdered his parents in a prominent neighborhood...not just the poor where violence is a given and oftentimes wrong. But this is not about violence and gun violence...it's about the freedom to bear guns, not to have that right taken away because of what happened in Colorado, Texas, Arizona, California or any given area of America...it's about the right to carry a weapon for protection.
    7. I admit, I'm scared to death of all the wrongs done with guns in the hands of some...The shootings in Houston and the colleges and universities just recently where my son teaches political science...a subject that could easily instigate an act of violence and random shootings. But, my son is a proud American, as am I, and our fore-fathers gave us this right to protect ourselves * in other words the 2nd amendment adopted in the 1700s is all about this "...a right, supporting the natural rights of self-defense, resistance to oppression, and the civic duty to act in concert in defense of the state..."
  • Taking away the right to bear arms/owning guns is NOT going to stop mass killings!! Look what happened with airplanes...9/11...is an airplane now considered a weapon then? And if I may, for those of us that know killing is wrong, I ask: What about all the killing by the hand of God? i.e., In Genesis 19:28 [turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt] - the entire city of Sodom and Gomorrah in the book of Genesis - then there is, by the hand of God and his fire, hundreds of people burned [Numbers 16:35]- oh and flooding; killing many people AND animals ---to me, even with the commandment thou shall not kill ---seems a bit "do as I say not as I do". Murder and mayhem occurs in history [even the Good Book], fiction and non-fiction...it's a fact of life, and part of human nature---and it's not ALWAYS from the actions and repercussions from a gun.
  • Now, to abate the debatable here from my bill of rights fragment, I wanted to leave you on a much more fun frag.... Scenes from Goose Island near Capano Bay, in South Texas...the beautiful sky and the 'white hot' sunshine of summer, the sea coast, the shadows, the cooler temps of a shaded pathway and park bench...
  • 50 comments :

    1. Ohhh, you are brave for dealing with that Staples St. stuff, but it was worth it! I almost lost my civility on that street the other day when woman in an old, Pepto-Bismal pink car with spinning rims sped up and cut in front of me at the last minute in the single lane. To add insult, someone in the car threw a half eaten chicken leg out the window that almost hit me! Argh.

      You are so talented, woman, I love your drawings and now your quilt!

      And amen to the second amendment.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. "Pepto-Bismal pink"....I like that terminology and MUST remember that next time I see a gawd-awful ugly pink car. People just don't care of others these days, it's sad.

        And, thanks for the compliment and the 'amen'....I'm never sure just how blog visitors will take my rants.

        Delete
    2. Thank you for waiting to start Halloween pictures on your blog, Anni! I really like that drawing. You are definitely a multitalented person. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...even I'M not ready to display Halloween yet.

        Thanks for the compliment and glad you liked the drawing.

        Delete
    3. O, dear...we go thru spells here of breaking things. Go for months and nary a broken thing...then, whamo, every thing we pick up is either broken or nearly so.
      A-Rod...kick him totally OFF, people, and get on with it.
      Your bird drawing is adorable, you talented woman, you.
      Your quilt is going to be sooo cute...and I don't decorate very much for Halloween...just a few things out for the grands to look at. :)It is, however, one of my favorite holidays...great Halloween memories as a child. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Halloween really USED to be a fun day of the year...not anymore with how things are going on in the world. Oh, you and I definitely agree with A-$od!!!

        Delete
    4. Your bird is soft and lovely.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I, too, say kick A-Rod out. I have a lot I could say about the overpaid sports figures who use PEDs, but I'll restrain myself.

      Very nice drawing! And I hope you'll show the quilt when you're finished and the witches, but please, not yet! :)

      I'll second the amen to the Second Amendment!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ..........ANY overpaid pro. I think most of them are.

        Delete
    6. ANNI OH MY WORD....YOUR POST IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL, ENTERTAINING AND YOUR ARTISTIC TALENT AMAZES ME EACH TIME I SEE ONE OF YOUR DRAWINGS.

      WOOHOO HALLOWEEN ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE DAYS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.
      HUGS MADI AND MOM

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks M&M...glad your blog is back to working for you both!!

        Delete
    7. The last picture in your collage is so mystical and awesome! And I love your Redstart. We have a Tuesday Morning about a half hour away and I like to go in when we go to Costco, because it is across the street. BUT I have never been able to get there on a Tuesday, it is usually Monday, the worst of all day to go there! You and Bud, your story was unbelievable, and just HILARIUS!!! It is getting harder for me to keep a tight grip on soapy dishes. BUT what a great excuse to but a new blender and coffee maker!! I just got a Ninja Food Prep on special on QVC and can't wait to try it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sad part about it is....the blender was only a couple months old!!

        Delete
    8. Hey, how about posting that hibiscus you told me about, It must be amazing!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'll try and remember...you may need to remind me on that.

        Delete
    9. Lovely photos, great blue sky With Cotton-like clouds!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Hans, but I don't think mine is anywhere NEAR as beautiful as yours today.

        Delete
    10. Beautiful skies, wonderful captures as always, Anni!! Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sylvia, I can't find your blog from your Google+. There is no 'contributor to' on your profile page.

        Delete
    11. You've got all kinds of good stuff here today! I love your drawing and your story about the breaking of the blender and coffee maker made me laugh.
      I agree with you on gun rights. I also hate the things that can be done with guns, but studies show that in areas of stricter gun laws there is actually more gun violence - plus as you said - it's our right!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...You're right Mari, I've read that about the gun violence too. And, thanks for the compliments.

        Delete
    12. Like your post Anni made me laugh.

      Kim,USA

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...it made you laugh? Oh I guess you're commenting on the broken stuff?!! LOL

        Delete
    13. Share away....been busy so I did't see your comment right off. Jody, The Medicare Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks!!! I'll use this on my Wednesday post then. Much appreciated, and I still think this post of yours is hilarious.

        Delete
    14. I quilt to but I am a self-taught quilter, nothing so nice as your witch. Maybe I will post a picture...as soon as I figure how to do that. Jody The Medicare Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...oh yes, do....I look forward to it.

        Delete
    15. Anni, I love your Redstart drawing and the mosaic is beautiful. A lovely sky and scenes from your outing. Have a great weekend and happy skywatching!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Your post is the best I've ever read today! Very enlightening, enjoyable and beautiful photos. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh gosh, well.........thanks!!!

        Delete
    17. oh my, a blender and a coffee pot all in the same day? I can't wait to see your quilt when it's all finished

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...yes, it was one of those days. The funny part of it all for me was, just after Bud told me to watch what I was doing, it happened to HIM!! LOL

        Delete
    18. I love the sketch of the bird. :)

      beautiful sky, too!

      ReplyDelete
    19. Sorry about the blender and coffee pot :( It happens, but usually not in twos!

      Your bird sketch is beautiful. How talented you are!

      I totally agree with your thoughts on the 2nd amendment!!!

      ReplyDelete
    20. Hahaha, I love it when those spouse things happen. You get and give, so funny.

      That sketch looks just like a bird I have seen in MD, but I don't think it was that one. Is there an Oriole with red stripes?

      While I may not agree with your use of Scripture, I do fully support your view on gun control. The use of personally owned guns stop more violent crimes than crimes are committed. It's not reported how many times a personal fire arm stops a serious crime from happening, but they do. I am an advocate, I carry, I would support this cause. I found a Pin pretty humorous on this exact thing: http://pinterest.com/pin/76279787411899662/. I like the history throw back to the TX canon with Come and Take It. The problem is that the NSA bought most of the ammo in the last year. That should concern folks :-(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...just pointing out that even IN THE BIBLE there is violence. You just can't get away from it...that's my point.

        Delete
    21. I finally got a chance to read your blog and I must say it was a good one.
      I agree with you about A-Rod and the Yanks need to get back on track. PLAY BALL!
      I also say AMEN on the 2nd Amendment. I truly dislike guns ,but gun control will not stop the people who want to use them in the wrong way either.
      I also agree with the others on your quilt,photos... You might say I am in an agreement mood. LOL

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sharon....I so wish you could return to blogging! I miss our 'chats'!!

        I'm glad to know we both are so agreeable. LOL
        And, hope you're doing well!!

        Delete
    22. Beautiful bird yet again! And it looks like a great Halloween project in the making!

      I will check out Take the Lead. I am an Antonio Banderas fan.
      Happy birthday!
      :-)
      Traci

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Aha!!! Now I know...and today, he's 53!!

        Delete
    23. Anni, Love yourbird sketch! You have such a talent. The with hat is so cute and I can't wait to see the entire quilt. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
      hugs,
      Jann

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Jann, and thanks for hosting.

        Delete

    .