“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Port A Jetty...


WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
and
Nature Notes



We drove to the islands this past week to spend the morning away from home and to get away from my quilting project for a bit. I needed some 'time out' time!! Packing our 'heat'...no, not slang for a gun, but it's used to shoot!---pictures that is, we first stopped at our birding refuge; one of our usual stops on the island, and spotted terns, seagulls, ducks, bitterns, and roseate spoonbills. Then we drove to the Port's Ship Channel and walked along the jetty only to stop and watch the boating and shipping activities for the day. Several large cargo and tanker ships were in line waiting to be piloted into the channel on their way to the Port of Corpus Christi. I try to figure out by the depth [ship's ballast] of how deep the ship is laying in the water and guess if the ship is loaded with cargo/oil/fuel or if it's empty and there to get cargo from the waiting train loads [or trucks] at the port. If the ship lays really low in the water, it's heavy with cargo and of course, if high in the water, it's empty... that is logical; anyone should know that!! While lingering there, we stayed over an hour watching our surroundings and enjoying the quiet surf and sounds of forenoon; afterward we walked along the beach for a long distance. Through my binoculars I spotted a shark's fin several yards out in the bay jutting above the surface for a short moment!! I know it was a shark by the shape of the fin and for the fact that it never did resurface while we were there. If it were a dolphin, it would have had to come up for air frequently...I scoured the area for several minutes; no more sign of it. As for birds in this vicinity... I only spotted brown pelicans on the jetty and perched on the buoys, HUNDREDS of seagulls on the move and perched on a shrimp boat's boom arms [the long poles that carry the trawler nets] as seen in the photo above, and all by itself scavenging along the jetty's edge I spied one lone sanderling waiting for the surf to hit the boulders and then it would frantically search the moss for tidbits before the next wave came in. On the shore and grouped heavily on the sandy beach, several species of terns and different breeds of seagulls were spotted. Also, the one and only lighthouse that still lights the coast along this area of home, The Lydia Ann [privately owned], was beautiful with the early morning sun on its outer walls, I used my zoom lens, focused through the many sand dunes, and photographed it too...


On our return drive, back to Corpus over the island highway, we spotted one White Tailed Hawk and one Osprey, both in different areas but each one was perched on power lines. Both of which I photographed, but will share it either here next time, or on my hobby blog...I'd Rather B Birdin'.




_ _ _



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE


1. What's your worst food memory? How about one of your best? The worst = I can't stand even the odor of chocolate chip cookies baking anymore!! Why? I once made a glutton of myself and ate too many as they came from the oven. Sicker than a dog I was. Never will I touch another homemade chocolate chip cookie!! The best = My father produced one of the most delicious meals for our pre wedding dinners. The whole family was there from around the states....and the best part was his 'grilled slowly' [on a spit and basted it several times] all day Rib-eye Roast! It was a melt-in-your-mouth piece of heaven!! He cooked the entire meal from dinner rolls up to the dessert.

2. Do you appreciate people telling it like it is, or would you rather a speaker temper his/her words and maybe beat around the bush a little? How about when you're the one communicating...which type are you? Both probably, my answer would have to be geared toward the subject of the speaker. And that would be the answer to both of the questions.

3. What's your favorite place to hang out? HOME!! [the beach nearby would be a close 2nd!]

4. When do you most feel like you're a slave to time? When I'm tired and want the day to end. Is it bedtime yet?

5. What was the last concert you attended? Who'd you go with? Was it any good? I think it was Rod Stewart. It was fantastic!! Especially when he came out on stage in a tux and sang all the classic songs like Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered. Wow. Heart rate stopped several times that night.

6. Reality TV...harmful or harmless? What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to reality TV? I haven't watched 'programed tv' for nearly two years. But, when I did watch it, I NEVER watched a reality TV show. So, there is NO guilty pleasure that comes from something I don't watch. By the way, the DVD set for NCIS Season TEN comes out today.

7. What's something you think is overrated? Easy Peasy....professional sports!!! Altho, I am a baseball fan, love the game. But..... [The money, the advertisements, their income for the players -multi million dollar contracts, the cost of seeing a game of any sport live at the stadium, the merchandise, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the cost of participating, such as golf. Clubs, green fees, and special shoes....oh, and did I mention Tiger Woods? If I could only sell some of these professional sports stars for what they think they're worth ....hmmmmm.]

8. Insert your own random thought here. Yay!!! Has anyone else noticed the sun is rising quite a bit farther to the south now-a-days? Autumn is just around the corner!! AND cooler temps!!! I'm so ready....


Late Summer Sunrise on Whitecap Beach - Padre Island

78 comments :

  1. Great shots of the birds on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I've said it before here in Hootin' Anni's notes...I LOVE this area and never tire of going there.

      Delete
  2. I love the pelican picture, it makes me smile. Nice lighthouse, Anni. And I once ate too many pancakes (as a teenager) and still cannot eat one, so I know what you mean about those cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...it's just a 'gut reaction' I guess.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful, terrific pictures. You always capture such beauty that it makes me appreciate our area even more. Shark. Eeek. Did you see that giant tiger shark they caught last week?

    I'm with you on professional sports being overrated. Too much money now involved. Let's just get back to the pure sport of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Port A would be a fantastic place to live if you're 'into fishing' or eating....lol, it's a beautiful area always and quiet ---but nothing to do. I'd go stark raving mad and be driving to Corpus each day just to do something. LOL

      Oh don't get me going on the sports these days. Just think of the money invested in the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium when all the homeless and needy people go hungry.

      Delete
  4. As usual, your bird shots are great!
    I agree with you on professional sports. They are over paid and made into heroes, while usually acting far from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya....that part is a whole 'nother peeve I have. They can commit a crime that anyone else would commit and get buy [by] with it 'cause the organization pays off the judges, etc.

      Delete
  5. you get to see so many great shorebirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pay a visit someday Ms. T ---and I'll take you birdin' with me.

      Delete
  6. Love the sunrise picture! Did you paint the header? Is is gorgeous! A really accurate beak and wonderful yellow feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nope I didn't paint it...it's a graphic [PSP tube] I got through an online art group.

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni
    Good for your B dragging you out of the house for some me-me time. I know what you mean about projects. I have 3 different crochet projects going on right now. I completed one this afternoon. Tomorrow is me-me for us. Our weekly Raleigh Sport's Club luncheon's kick off tomorrow with N C State University football coach as guest speaker. Go Pack

    Lydia Ann is beautiful and slightly resembles Old Baldy Lighthouse on our coast.

    Hugs
    Madi and C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up "Old Baldy" and it IS quite similar indeed.

      Delete
  8. what a wonderful little day trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's one of the 'best' spots near home!! I love going there just to spend a quiet day.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous shots!!! Love the bird and the sunset! I was disappointed I didnt get a beautiful sunset on my visit to the coast last week :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there'll be other times to come for sunsets!!

      Delete
  10. Great humour!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to know you enjoyed my post Gary

      Delete
  11. It sounds like a great day out by the sea. I especially like the Sanderling. You can have your cooler temps - I can't wait for our summer to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. South Texas Summers are lethal...the heat index often reaches 118-120 degrees Fahrenheit

      Delete
  12. Love all the shots of the birds. When I was reading about your shark fin sighting I immediately thought of Jaws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep....me too....and the theme song from the movie runs in my mind.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful collection of birds and photos, Anni! I love the Spoonbills and the last sunset shot is gorgeous.

    My last real concert was U-2.
    I might make some people upset, but I am a "tell it like is person". I need to bite my tongue more, especially at work.
    I have the same favorite hang outs as you...home and the beach..
    Great post, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love U2..."it's a beautiful day"!!!!

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kind of got a giggle, when I saw where you placed some of your watermarks...very nice image shares and it is nice to sometimes get away from our fun projects and see what else iis going on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, can't stay cooped up forever. But this inferno makes me wanna stay indoors with the A/C.

      Delete
  16. Such a great day's outing, Anni. Sounds so relaxing with plenty photo memories. The randoms. Let's see--usually don't press a point in casual conversation. That way I keep my friends since they think I'm way too liberal. :-) Re NCIS--will it be the same without Ziva?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...rumors are rampant that in real life, Coto is pregnant. Only time will tell. I'll miss her, I'm sure of it, but who knows what'll come of her absence.

      Delete
  17. Hi There, Looks like you all had a great time on the islands!!!! We all need time off from big projects at times...

    My worst food memory is when I was a little gal about age 10-12, I visited a friend and had dinner with them. The Mama fixed slimy okra --which I had never had... I can still to this day see that slimy stuff--which looked like something that comes out of your nose when you have a cold... YUK.... I will eat fried okra --but never ever eat boiled okra... Yow!!!!!

    Since I am one who has to eat my words at time --and who is quite opinionated, I will say that, most of the time, we need to be careful what we say...

    I love my home also--but my alltime favorite place to hang-out is our little cabin at Mt. Nebo in Arkansas... It's like heaven on earth.

    I never watch reality TV... We do watch alot of dramas on TV --which we enjoy. BUT--no reality stuff...

    Our Government is overrated (every single part of it).... They (Congress and Administration) say they have our best interests in mind ---yet all they really care about is their own life/job/benefits/lifestyle, etc...... We send these idiots back to Washington over and over and over---thinking they will take good care of our country's needs and follow our Constitution...HA HA HA...

    Beautiful sunset.
    Hugs,
    Betsy --who is also ready for Fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The government might be overrated, but that is 99% the media's fault in my opinion. And studies show [or polls; what have you] show that most of us in America are fed up with the so called government, and yet the sad part is they continue to reelect. Or DON'T vote.

      You got me going again. LOL

      Delete
  18. Those are wonderful shots, i love their silhouettes. If i were you, i wont tire of it either, you are very privileged. And thanks for dropping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Andrea, and thanks for stopping by here!

      Delete
  19. I'd have to agree that my favourite place to hang out is home - when i'm not birding that is.Sounds like a really nice reaxing morning you took out Anni and that's another good place to hang out - near the waves and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, you and me both, home and birding [either at the refuges or on the beach and able to listen to the gulls and the surf...]

      Delete
  20. Beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice outing that you had and great pics. I love watching ships going in and out of harbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too. Even tho the ships these days are so modern, there is still a certain piece of nostalgia there.

      Delete
  22. I love the sunrise and the pelicans. My favorite place is also home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too always enjoy the sunrises over the ocean waters.

      Delete
  23. No homemade chocolate chip cookies? So sad! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Funny thing is, I can 'stomach' Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip, but the oooey gooey homemade ones, I gag just thinking about them.

      Delete
  24. Could not agree more with your answer to #7. I kinda like the sea shore too as a hangout spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the sand and beach and surf and everything there is near the sea is great.

      Delete
  25. You provoked my thoughts! Here goes:

    1. What's your worst food memory? How about one of your best? The worst = Scrapple - we were poor and my dad brought the meat home from a farm where he was working. It was AWFUL and THEN I learned what it was!!! The best = Biting into a South Jersey Peach and having the juice squirt far out and then much of it running down my arm to my elbow. 2nd Best = Honey - right from the comb.

    2. Do you appreciate people telling it like it is, or would you rather a speaker temper his/her words and maybe beat around the bush a little? How about when you're the one communicating...which type are you? I prefer no pussyfooting. I'm been called "outspoken" but I don't purposely say things to hurt others and avoid that.

    3. What's your favorite place to hang out? HOME!! DITTO!

    4. When do you most feel like you're a slave to time? When my husband sits at the table at both noon and suppertime silently awaiting his meals.

    5. What was the last concert you attended? Who'd you go with? Was it any good? I have never attended a concert.

    6. Reality TV...harmful or harmless? What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to reality TV? I don't ever watch reality TV.

    7. What's something you think is overrated? Fancy shmancy over-the-top, ostentatious, extravagant, pompous, splurgy and any other gatherings/affairs/events that are wasteful. Of course I'm pretty much alone in this because they're beyond my own social class. I think that type of thing is vulgar and much prefer tasteful and moderate celebrations and ceremonies. One special exception: The Kentucky Derby. Maybe that is because I do like traditions - old classy traditions. Not to attend but to observe.

    8. Insert your own random thought here. Oh to know now SOME of what I didn't know when young.

    Sorry you asked?

    P.S.
    I sure would like to be able to take pictures as good and beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I don't know what Scrapple is, so I will have to Google the term. Your answer to #8 is true for us all I think.

      Delete
    2. This video made me GAG!
      http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/dirty-jobs/videos/scrapple-maker.htm

      Delete
    3. Oh okay, this is quite similar to the Pennsylvania Dutch pon haus then! Right? Now to tell you something, my mother used to LOVE souse. I would NEVER touch that

      Delete
  26. HURRAH! Someone who has a blog I can actually comment on (this is my 5th HodgePodge visit, and first I've been able to leave comment on today).

    My Mum is a massive Rod fan too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I'm really happy that you could, 'cause I enjoy your visits Laura.

      Delete
  27. Love your photo of the lighthouse! Spring is on it's way here ... sun setting later and rising earlier, and our August winds doth blow, which promises good spring rains. I am feeling excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwwwww, rain. That sounds heavenly.

      Delete
  28. What a wonderful outing, and I love the pelican shots. I've never seen a spoonbill, but I do hope to one day.

    Interesting questions. Being newly retired, I only feel a slave to time around 4:30, when the hubby is on the way home and it's time to cook dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retirement is awesome....enjoy it!! As for the 'cooking' time...since WE have retired, I cook, he cleans. It works out.

      Delete
  29. I so agree about professional sports. I did not even think of that. I love your blog. When it loads, it like peace flows. The photographs are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks like a wonderful way to spend a day ... and I love the variety of birds you saw along the coast. Would have loved seeing the shark as well, even though it was only momentary. I'm with you ... fall, cooler weather, beautiful colors ... but then, there will be leaves to rake, ugh! Enjoyed your post ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...the cooler weather here especially. The colors don't change this far south 'til about December. I'll take it.

      Delete
  31. wow chocolate chip cookies? I have that same thing for raisin cookies. ;o Anyway I don't understand when they pay the professional athletes THAT much money. That's ridiculous especially if the player cheats or is a big jerk. ;/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jerk...that term is putting it mildly in my opinion. A$$ would be the word I use. Or a longer version. LOL

      Delete
  32. I so agree with you on the second one. Home is also my favorite place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, again, we can all quote Dorothy I guess...there IS no place like home.

      Delete
  33. I would be hanging out at that beach too Anni..... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for Hosting Michelle.

      Delete
  34. Well, we matched for question #3!.. And I couldn't agree with you more about #8. I'm definitely looking forward to less heat and humidity. It just doesn't agree with me like it used to! Can't wait for Fall! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No place like home!!! And Autumn...a favorite season. Once it becomes less humid, I can enjoy the great outdoors again.

      Delete
  35. Okay I love Rod Stewart. I wish that I was sick on chocolate chip cookies. LOL Did you do the artwork in the header - so pretty. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too....Rod baby!!! As for the header...no, I made the graphic, but with PSP tubes only, I didn't draw it.

      Delete
  36. Great pictures. I would like to sell the professional players for what they thought they were worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both would become overnight billionaires!! LOL

      Delete
  37. Thank you for the description of your day. Awww...you made me longing for beach. Perhaps we will go this weekend assuming it is not raining here. Beautiful post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'bout now with our 3 year drought we've experienced, I don't think a little bit of rain would stop me from heading out for the beach.

      Delete
  38. Some beautiful shots here! I especially like the one of the flock on top of the tower...the close up one...a subtle silhouette!!!

    ReplyDelete

.