my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Ditch Stitching....


  • I took the plunge!! If you have read some of my most recent posts, I have been giving some serious thought to the act of making a quilt! For years, I have had this cute panel of a witch and black cat with jack-o-lanterns. My guess would be three feet by four feet...maybe a bit smaller...with some of my favorite Autumn colors, gold, yellow, deep green, oranges and black. I jumped into this project a bit near sighted...knowing nuttin' 'bout quilting. In fact I still don't...I'm just working around and around and around the other panel aforementioned, and hoping against hope that they'll come out somewhat even. I found out something while doing this, 1] * you have to be a mathematical genius and 2] * you have to use your sewing machine and try to keep the seams straight while sewing!! LOL It's been eons since I've sat behind the sewing machine. Trust me.
  • It's been ages since I even opened my sewing machine up. Seriously. Both cats, Tahoe and Winston, didn't know what to make of the noisy contraption and Anni with scraps of material and shears in her hand.
  • I had Bud oil the machine in the critical parts, I replaced the needle...revved it up, and off I went.
  • This quilt is going to be afghan sized. Not for any twin bed, nor full-sized or Queen, of King...just a coverlet for the couch.
  • I found a nifty website that will help me piece it together...the actual quilting part at least. Her site is VERY helpful...I even learned a new term...Stitch in the Ditch!! That was my plan all along. Say What? Oh, that!!! Okay...right!! The easy to follow site? --> HOW TO SEW A QUILT 101 for those of us who have never ever done this sorta thing.
  • AND...to top it off, I know absolutely nada when it comes to quilt batting! I looked at some while I was at Hobby Lobby...but I figured I'd wait to buy this IF the project turns out half way decent. [see next fragment]
  • So far this week, I've stitched all the blocks and scraps together, pressed the seams open with my thumb nail and index finger, I remembered that step from long ago - very well!!...and all that needs to be done is to retrieve that four lettered word object and steam iron it all. Lay it on the floor...see if it looks okay and get an approval nod from Bud on if it's worthy to buy the batting...and sally forth into some more unknown universe of quilting!!!






  • 40 comments :

    1. You are a brave and talented soul. If you can do it, maybe I can....when I am not working any more. I can't wait to see your finished product.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not sure you'll see any more...it depends on if it turns out half way decent for sharing. LOL

        Delete
    2. Well, this sounds very exciting! And I hope you continue to show us, I love the idea of a throw for the couch.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...since it's just for Halloween decor, I figured a smaller piece of work would suffice. :o)

        Delete
    3. I love it! Quilting is something I've been thinking of taking up. I made a quilt with my grandma, and she and her sisters and their mom were expert quilters. Ok- you're giving me the motivation...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Shelly...I have no 'quilting equipment' at all, so it just a hit and miss piece of construction. I hope you do...I bet your work will be great.

        Delete
    4. You are definitely multitalented, Anni. It looks very cool and I'm sure you will finish it soon! I am impressed. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thing is, I'm still not very confident in this.

        Delete
    5. Good for you ~ A new adventure and the quilt looks and sounds delightful and creative! Happy Weekend to you ~ thanks ~ ^_^

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...I must admit tho, the anxieties are still there for me. Not sure 'bout this at all.

        Delete
    6. Proud of you, Anni
      Batting: I tend to use the really thin batting as it makes it easier to quilt...and cotton is better than polyester....You did good, I want to see the entire quilt top, though.
      Mama Bear

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I promise to show you the 'finished quilt' if it looks half way proper.

        Delete
    7. I know what you mean about dragging out the old sewing machine after a long, long time! I attempted a doll dress, and soon realized how 'rusty' I'd become in my sewing skills :(

      Hope your quilt project is worthy of some batting, after all that work!

      As for rain, I wish we could share with you, too. I think drought is worse than too much rain, been there, done that one, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...especially when you have to sit back and watch the lawn dry up. That's the worst for me. :o(

        Delete
    8. Making a quilt is on my bucket list for someday. I have an old sewing machine that I have to get out one of these days and try to figure out how to use it again. If I'd finally do it, it could even be useful. Instead of collecting dust in my basement. Good luck with the batting. I used to have 2 cats, one named Reno and one Tahoe.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...you had a Tahoe kitty too? Wow.

        Delete
    9. Quilting is a great hobby. Have fun.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sure...no, positive, this will most likely be the 1st and last I do.

        Delete
    10. I know you can do this, you are so far beyond talented my friend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks for the encouragement Denise.

        Delete
    11. Good for you! I'm always impressed by those who quilt. I took a class and made some pillows, but then it ended. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...ya, I think this is the same kind of scenario for me too. Once will be plenty experience for me.

        Delete
    12. Well--congrats to you... such a talented lady... I love quilts --but my gifts and talents do NOT lie in those areas. I will just enjoy my quilts --and praise those of you who make them!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...who knows Betsy...I may not even finish it. I'm hoping to, but then there is always that trash bin laughing at me.

        Delete
    13. Your quilt looks great! :) There is nothing more rewarding than making something, then displaying and using it. It takes us back to the basics of doing things for ourselves. I look forward to seeing it when you have finished it. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I finally just 'had to try my "hand" at this'. I hope it will look good enough to show the finished quilt. I just got back from purchasing the batting, I'm feeling a lot of 'don't know what you're doing' anxieties right now.

        Delete
    14. I would love to learn to quilt,but I don't even sew!!! You asked about the reasons for the lack of monarchs. Yes, the drought played a huge role in the last couple of years for the monarch migrating north for the winter and those coming back from Mexico. But there was also a lack of food as milkweed gets cut or sprayed so there is no larva food for the monarch larve or for nectering. Then the cold, wet spring took its toll. Without things changing, the migration up north could end. It is sad and all we can do is plant milkweed and nectar plants and not use pesticides.. Michelle

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Michelle...it's a sad shame to read about this!!!

        Delete
    15. More power to ya. I hope it is a beauty when finished.

      I HATE to sew, so I won't be trying this myself.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I used to sew...a LOT. But when I retired with Bud, the interest left.

        Delete
    16. Way to go. You went full steam ahead on that. Quilting is something I've been wanting to learn

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I bet you'd be a whiz at quilting Ann!!

        Delete
    17. I think you quilt will be very pretty. Anyway it will be fun to give it a try. My Mama and I made two for me before I got married back in 1956. No more quilting for me. I gave them to my daughters a while back. It was fun to look at the squares and remember the garment each square came from.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My mom had one from long ago, each square was a relative who had embroidered their name on it. I wonder what happened to it?!!

        Delete
    18. Love the colorful quilt! Congrats for taking the plunge and trying out quilting. I don't sew, sew would never attempt that. (See what I did there?) Hope you have a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes...LOL, I get it!! Too funny. Hope you had a great weekend Lori, I'm late reading my own comments this week.

        Delete
    19. I love that fabric! I hope you'll show us the finished product.

      My grandmother taught me how to quilt long ago but I have never made one on my own.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, if I can accomplish this not knowing what I am up against...I am sure you can do it. Thanks.

        Delete
    20. Oh my gosh - I want to make a quilt and I never have before. I actually have some squares to start it. Good luck to you girl. sandie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Sandie. LUCK is something I really need on this project. A little bit of knowledge would help too...but this is all new to me.

        Delete

    .