my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Ding Dong the Quilt is done...the wicked Quilt is DONE!!



  • I read local news: "Because the snake was dangerous/poisonous, it was killed. Altho, animal control in this area does release non-poisonous snakes back into the wild." Read More/Watch News Video... While the animal control officers were attempting the snake's capture, it sprayed venom on one of their uniform shirts!! Thing is, the rattlesnake was spotted on local property UNDER the property owner's BIRD FEEDER!! Yikes...and I go out every morning and fill the feeders in OUR yard. I think I will relegate the task to Bud...ya, pass that chore onto him from this day forward!!! [kidding]

    1. When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does he wonder why you're just sitting there, staring at carpeting?

      YOU KNOW YOU'RE HAVING A BAD DAY WHEN...The bird singing outside your window is a vulture.

      Brant Dunlin [BIRDS in BOLD] - Private Investigator: I was in the Condor Club and right next to me there were two chicks, a raven-haired beauty and a redhead. On a lark I decided that I wanted to chat, but I had to crane my neck to see 'em. I don't want to snipe or grouse, but when I turned around one of them was puffin away on a cigarette - I wanted to thrasher or at least rail about what a cuckoo she was for taking up this fowl habit. Instead of making a move I decided to listen in on the gulls. I was in the catbird seat, and got quite an ear full - I really couldn't believe what I was heron. The woman with the black hair was named Barbet and her friend was Robin. Barbet said, "Can you sparrow match?" Robin obliged. "Thanks. You know, that bustard Martin is a real loon. He asked if he could touch my tit - I said, 'What?' and he said he liked my booby - I told him to go fly a kite." "Yep, he's a creeper all right, and not too swift," Robin replied. "He wanted to goose me, that turkey. Look, Barbet, there he is, after Rhea!" "Owl tell ya', he'll egret it." [Barbet was British.] "She's a harpy and she won't quail at his advances - she'll wrap a nutcracker around his peewee - that'll be his swan song." "Yeah", said Robin, "But willet do any good?" Jut then I saw Martin swallow hard, move over to Rhea, and try to dipper. Rhea flew off and took a swing, and Martin had to duck and he dove to the floor under the table bunting. There was a flicker in Rhea's eye. She came over to sing to Barbet and Robin. "Martin said that Jay told him I was easy...if I wouldn't give it away I'd at least wrentit!" "Oh, Rhea," said Robin, "that old coot Jay isn't worth your time, and if Martin doesn't straighten up soon they'll throw him down the nuthatch." "Either that or get a shoveler to bury the old buzzard - he's so yucky, harrier than a gorilla." "Yeah, those toucan go to Hell." By this time I knew to say nothing and to not even try to be an avocet to their cause. My cardinal rule is to let the canary sing before you take your tern. I'm no rook or sapsucker and I didn't need an albatross around my neck, so I just stayed mute and walked away. Besides, the Falcon needed petrel - so I went to fill it up. At least I'd remembered to get cash out of the nightjar. Teal we meet again, Brant Dunlin, signing off.

      WARNING!! [risque ahead Rated "R"] There was this guy that had a hen and he wanted to raise chicks but had no rooster... So he set out looking for one... Came upon a farmer and asked him if he had any. Farmer said... "Why, yes, I have three of them... One is "normal"... one is "dyslexic"... and the last one is "gay". So the guy says... "Let me hear them crow!" The farmer brings out the "normal" one... and he crows...... Cocka-Doodle-Dooooooo!!! Guy says, "Well, he sounds pretty good!" Farmer brings out the "dyslexic" one... and he crows...... Doodle-Doodle-Cock!!! Guy says, "Hmmm..." The farmer brings out the "gay" one... He crows...... Any-Cock'll Doooooooooo!!!

  • Yesterday, I FINISHED IT!!! My Halloween quilt is complete. I am so very happy it is done. I have pictures of the entire process and finished images on the camera, and I'll share it all [and my honest opinion of the experience] next week, I hope. I posted this close-up picture from the beginning, I will re-share it 'til I get the other photos cropped and readied for another future post...

    [this is the reverse/back side of the quilt]

  • The weather report: We've been getting a few rain showers here and there, recently. I'm enjoying the heck out of this! I even dared to go walking in the rain. I had my biggo Texas-sized umbrella and felt like "Singing in the Rain". While I was walking, I chanced to trek along the feeder ditch that empties into Oso Bay behind the Texas A&M South Campus. I caught a couple photos of ducks scurrying to the bay in the rain...



    ...zooming in -this photo is a bit blurry 'cause I was trying to utilize the zoom and hang on the umbrella and focus all at the same time. But, it also tells a story: They were REALLY on 'cruise control fast!' ....



    ...and one of our front yard hibiscus after the rainfall...


    ...and the patterns of weather we've been having this past week makes for some beautiful sky-scapes with a lot of drama mixed in!!



  • Tuesday, Bud and I stopped at Best Buy 'cause they had the special day release sale price of season ten of NCIS. Have watched a couple episodes already during our dinner hour. Can't wait to get up to my favorite program of last season. That one is Devil's Trifecta...where FBI agent Fornell and Gibbs' ex-wife work on a special case together. It just hits me as hilarious!! It's quite funny. Sometimes I wish the producers and writers would do more like this.

  • Last thing for this post before I go get busy for the day: A couple of weeks ago, I started a new bird sketch, and this week, I finally built up the courage to finish it. The reason I stopped in mid-sketch is because this image I chose to draw has the bird's feet. And they are truly a difficult challenge for me to get it 'right'. Most times when I attempt bird feet they look like just a big mess of lines...as with human hands. I never feel they look like the real thing. I draw, erase, draw, erase...over and over again. I should just eliminate this part of the drawing and add tree leaves or something. But, this sketch, too, is now done. By the way, it's a bird that is quite prominent in the Texas area and rarely goes much farther north than Okalhoma...the GREEN JAY. Tho this pencil sketch is done in regular #5 drawing pencil, I added a bit of color as I did in my American Redstart. The colors in real life are extraordinarily bright, vivid, bold greens and blues with a hint of yellow and black. Anyway, here is my completed Green Jay---
















  • rattlesnake clipart courtesy of Google Images




    75 comments :

    1. Love your quilt and your green jay. Never watched NCIS.....maybe I should. I have been loving this cooler, unusual August weather. I hope September won't be a blazer just to remind us of how hot it should have been in August! And that was funny saying you're going to let Bud put the food in the bird feeder now. Funny!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I tried to convince Bud that it was now his chore, but he refused on his own accord. No reason, just plain simple..."No". rofl

        Delete
    2. the jay is lovely, anni.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh, your bird sketch is very nice! I had to really laugh while reading the bird humor. Saved it for my friend who loves and photographs all birds. I think I know how you feel about finishing your quilt project. My yo-yo hanging plumb wore me out, several years ago. Also snakes are very beautiful to me. We once gave one of our children one to play with in her playpen and she picked it up and bit it! All of our kids went snake hunting with their little plastic pails - mostly for garter snakes.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, I don't agree on the 'beauty' of snakes for sure. I fear them and run - or stop dead in my tracks and walk backwards and THEN run some more.

        Delete
    4. I love your bird sketch!

      Like you, I enjoy walking in the rain (as long as I have an umbrella or raincoat!). Those mallards are so cute!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks!! Those ducks, I believe aren't mallards, the species is Mottled Duck.

        Delete
    5. I'm so excited you've finished the quilt- it already looks great. Can't wait to see it all! And we've seen some rattlers around here- ugh. The rain has not only made us all happy, I think it's made them happy, too. And I laughed and laughed at your gay rooster~

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...that just cracked me up too. Glad you enjoyed it Shelly.

        Delete
    6. Anni this sentence cracked me up!!When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does he wonder why you're just sitting there, staring at carpeting? My daughter and son in law have a Parrot. While they were visiting last weekend we were talking about the rising cost of our state newspaper the News and Observer. Her comment was they canceled their subscription because it was getting too expensive to carpet Taz's cage. They will be using the local paper instead.

      Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

      hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...oh that is too good. Something so close to the joke and just spoken by a family member...ironic!!

        Delete
    7. The jay is lovely, you always do such a wonderful job with your drawings. And the hibiscus is beautiful! Wow, if this is the back of the Halloween quilt, I can't wait to see the front!! I know it will be awesome!!! Maybe you need to wear those big hip high wellington boots when you fill the bird feeder! But seriously, look down and keep an eye out...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. rofl...I can just picture myself in wellington boots. I'd probably turn to run from the snake and trip.

        Delete
    8. Let's see what I remember-
      Liked your bird jokes.
      Your quilt is beautiful and I cannot believe you are not an expert!
      We like NCIS here too!
      Love your bird sketch-
      You can do everything girl.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ....everything but clean the house. lol

        Delete
    9. Dramatic even if grumpy skies and a great capture for the day, Anni! I love the ducks and what a beautiful flower! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!! Enjoy!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Lovely sky with dramatic clouds!
      Well done!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Finished your quilt and bird sketch all in one week, what will you accomplish next week!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...probably cleaning. rofl

        Delete
    12. Well I loved that bird story. That was great. Can't wait to see your whole quilt

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ann, it's good to see you drop by, you've been missed.

        Delete
    13. Congrats on finishing your quilt. It looks pretty. Cute capture of the ducks and the sky shot is beautiful. I love the Green Jay, I would love to see one in person some day. Great post, have a happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Come on over my way Eileen, there are quite a few show up. They're fun to listen too 'cause they're very GOOD at mimicking other birds. Especially the hawk calls.

        Delete
    14. Wow! Snakes under the feeder...that would freak me out. The bird embedded story is very creative, had to read some of it twice. I loved the rooster joke and I have a similar themed one involving a rooster and a hooker :0

      I think your drawing is fantastic! You are quite talented. Glad you got your quilt done, I sure it turned out great!

      Best to you, Anni!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. me too....I hate/fear ANY snake!

        A rooster and a hooker, huh? That should be interesting. rofl

        Delete
    15. My sister-in-law, Ruth L. Grundy, was head librarian of the Marine Biology Research Center at the Univ. of Texas, there in Corpus for many years. She wrote many papers that were published. She had such interesting things to show us when we visited. She passed away a few years ago and I sure do miss her.

      It looks like you did an amazing job on your quilt. Looking forward to seeing it all finished.
      Yep, I bought some Lavender spray that goes on your pillow at night and it makes you sleep soooo good. Try it. :)
      xo bj

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I WILL look for the spray, thanks for the heads-up on the product! And you SIL...I think I just read a paper published by her...not sure tho, you say CC, and I think this was written/published from Port A

        Delete
    16. Hi, You are just too darn talented... A quilt??? AND--a new drawing??? Goodness --I'm impressed with both. Can't wait to see the finished quilt photos.

      Love the story written naming all kinds of birds... TOO clever... One time when I published a blog post and showed about 15 different Roses, a blog friend's comment was using their names (like this buy did)....

      I can hear you singing in the rain.. That's something I would do...

      Cute rooster story!!!! ha ha
      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Man, people are too clever...I could never think up this kinda wit for the life of me.

        Delete
    17. Yay for finishing the quilt! Loved the bird jokes and the photos too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am so happy to put that project behind me. I don't even want to think of doing it again, either. LOL

        Delete
    18. I love your skies and spirit in your rain walk.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love walking in the rain...if it's not a downpouring that is.

        Delete
    19. Nice quilt, and a very nice drawing. I especially love that episode of NCIS, I remember it well. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yes, those three when they are together in one program are soooo funny.

        Delete
    20. Thanks for making me laugh, laugh, and laugh some more.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...glad you enjoyed it dear friend.

        Delete
    21. First of all, your sketch is beautiful....the humor was great...but, to be honest, I hadn't even heard of some of those birds!

      Congrats on the quilt...I never was ambitious enough to undertake anything like that...needlework, yes.

      Great stormy skies....

      My Skywatch Friday is at:

      http://rnsane.blogspot.in/2013/08/skywatch-friday-season-7-episode-8.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...it will be my ONE and ONLY quilt, ever. Glad you liked the temperamental looking clouds for skywatch.

        Delete
    22. I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting some rain :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Kathy....yes, we so desperately need rain!

        Delete
    23. for some reason your email gave a no reply in the address so here's what I wrote...

      "Oh, yes...it WAS in Port Aransas...just a mistake there on my part....and yes, it is indeed the same Mrs. Grundy as my sis in law. She was so smart and did such a wonderful job there in PA...they had a beautiful home there, not far from the beach.

      Yes, my blood pressure got totally out of control and had to spend a couple nights in the hospital until they got things under control...also discovered my corotids are both blocked and go in Tues for an angiogram to see what the doctor might want to do.
      Thanks for your concern....and I covet all the prayers I can get.
      xo bj

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, bj, when I visit so many blogs, I tend to put a 'bogus' email address 'cause I just don't have the time allotted during the day for emails AND visiting blogs.

        That's scary...hope there will be something they can do to help you out. Now-a-days there is so much that can be done compared to just 10-20 years ago.

        Delete
    24. Beautiful serie of photos!

      ReplyDelete
    25. I am not a fan of snakes of any kind. If I had to do it the birds would probably starve. Or I would just toss the food out there. You are very brave.
      It has been so rainy in Philadelphia too. I'm hoping for another burst of summer.
      Your quilt and drawing are beautiful.
      Love the funny stuff:)

      ReplyDelete
    26. Congrats on the beautiful quilt and bird sketch (and as someone in drought country - congrats on the rain!)
      Th bird detective story is awesome!
      :-)
      Traci

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...wasn't it? I could NEVER be that clever to tell a story like Mr. Dunlin.

        Delete
    27. Any quilting project would be wicked if I was doing it.

      Your frags were very funny and entertaining this week.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...mine turned wicked about half way through. lol

        Delete
    28. Enjoyed the "play on birds," and I think I've heard all three of those roosters at one time or another. Nice work on the quilt!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...and I like your play on WORDS here Ken! Play on birds, play on words. Clever.

        Delete
    29. Wow; you are quite the talented artist, in many ways, obviously. Thanks for sharing your heart for art :) Growing flowers, too, is a gift I do not possess, sadly; your hibiscus is stunning.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If only this area would get 'back to normal' in rainfall, I'd be outdoors enjoying more flowers and gardening. But it's been a battle just to keep what we have alive in this 3 year drought.

        Delete
    30. I just love NCIS!!! Seriously!

      The bird joke was funny!!

      I hope none of you find that sort of snake anywhere on you property. Very unpleasant :-(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. unpleasant indeed...no, downright scary!!!

        Delete
    31. Love the duck photo and congrats on finishing a beautiful quilt ~ thanks, carol, xo

      ReplyDelete
    32. I could sit and watch all day seriously

      ReplyDelete
    33. Love your Green Jay. I wish I could sketch. I'm quite bad at it! You caught some great scenes on camera too. Nature is so beautiful. Do you ever sketch scenes? And congrats on finishing the quilt - it's gorgeous and whimsical!

      ReplyDelete
    34. Congratulations on finishing that cute quilt! Your drawing is wonderful.

      ReplyDelete
    35. Wonderful quilt!! and I LOVE that Sketch!!!

      ReplyDelete
    36. I love your drawing of the green jay. Beautiful work!

      ReplyDelete
    37. Bet the quilt looks amazing...love the hat! Your sketch is wonderful. Enjoy the end of summer,
      S

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...if you can find time, stop by on my Friday post for the final 'update'.

        Delete
    38. Anni, your stories were definitely a 'HOOT'. Livin up to your name girl! lol! Great job on the witches quilt. Can't wait to see it all. You are an amazing artist. The sketch is fabulous and if you had trouble with the feet you would never know it! Thanks for sharing with SYC. We are having well needed rain here this week too.
      hugs,
      Jann

      ReplyDelete

    .