“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Digest this!


When it's 81° just before sunrise, and the sky seems to be on fire!!!.....
not much activity gets done 'round here. Growing up in Colorado, I just didn't realize what the "lazy, hazy, days of Summer" really meant 'til we moved South to the sub-tropics. A person really doesn't want to move around much, no less get too far from an air conditioner. The heat index with humidity factored in this past week has been in the triple digits! Nosiree-bob, I have been staying indoors a lot! Altho, early one morning, Bud and I got out before the sun started baring down on us and got the two lawns, back and front yards, mowed and edged. With rains...you get green grass that needs a hay mower eventually!

I've been drawing at my leisure, coming up with all kinds of concoctions to snack on, and even began a project that may or may not get done. A quilt coverlet. Right from the get go I had to ask Kathy [the quilting guru I call her] a question. LOL This may turn out a bit comical trying my hand a quilting, and then again it may be a total disaster. I have to be honest, I'm going in blind on this. But, there is always my famous filing under #13 if it doesn't turn out...that is, ummmm, a trash bin!!

Okay, I mentioned I drew another sketch. I'm pretty darned sure y'all are getting very tired of me posting what I've been drawing - it's just that I'm not doing too much of anything else right now...so bear with me. Just the other day, I posted photographs of this charmer. The Golden Fronted Woodpecker. I have really started liking the jovial, noisy persona of these birds. The beginning of the sketch...


...and I whipped this one out in less than a couple hours. Not much to sketching this since the body pattern is nothing but splotches of black and white.





Then, I mentioned concocting snacks:


Recently I read on someone's blog a recipe that I just had to try out. I love everything yogurt....frozen, right off the grocers' shelf, for dessert, snack, or bedtime treat: Fruit on the bottom, granola on top, anything. This recipe was for an 'oatmeal cookie smoothie'. Sorry, I can't remember just where I read it or who shared it, but it was definitely a 'must try'. Her recipe [as I recollect] called for Greek Yogurt, a single serving bag of instant oatmeal, ice, cinnamon, etc. etc. But, with me, I improvised and added some of my favorites...

I used:

1 cup of Greek Yogurt - Vanilla flavored [and I used a dry measuring cup - 1 cup]
1 TBS of ground cinnamon
4 large cubes of ice
1 bag of apple and cinnamon oatmeal [no sugar added product ---hard to find, but they are out there]
8 pecan halves

Blend....


I loved it!
The Greek Yogurt is more tart than the name brands like Yoplait. Purchasing the vanilla flavored adds a natural sweetness with no need for any added processed sugars. And the difference in Greek yogurt is that it is strained of whey THREE times instead of the usual two times...making it much thicker. Also note: pay attention to the fat content...it's best to get fat free since Greek yogurt is higher in fat than the regular kind.  But a consolation here is that Greek vs. Regular, there is a lot more protein content.  And the extra straining removes a lot of the carbs that diabetics need to watch---select vanilla or honey-infused Greek yogurts, which are usually lower in carbohydrates than those with fruit.   Here in America, if you buy an American made Greek Yogurt the companies use cow's milk...in Greece, I understand it's goat's milk?!! Anyway, no matter, GREEK yogurt is by far the thicker creamier one to buy.

I also love pecans. Any nut will do for health reasons being that fat from nuts are the GOOD fats. Just be sure to use in moderation 'cause they will put on the pounds. My adding the pecans gave this smoothie an extra boost of a nutty goodness that's hard to describe.

...then on another day this week. Actually for my dessert one night this week, I just poured me a glass of ice cold milk and grabbed a Pecan Crunch Bar and watched part of the mini series on DVD [Pillars of the Earth]. While I was munching away and really enjoying the cold milk, I was thinking a thought...a revelation!! "Anni? Next time you grab one of these pecan crunchie thingies, make it like a S'Mores!" So, I did the very next night. We always have dark chocolate bars in the 'fridge. And I had some left over marshmallows from making ambrosia salad for a side dish previously. I grabbed a microwavable plate and placed the crunchy bars...topping them with mini-marshmallows and some Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate. Nuked them for 20 seconds and voilà ---a granola S'Mores. Yes, I do realize that there are Granola bars with chocolate bits and marshmallow bits already packaged, but the only brand of snack bars we buy are Nature Valley. As far as I know, the stores don't have them on the shelves. The Pecan Crunch and the Almond are my favorites anyway...I only buy those. [Bud's is the Cashew Salty and Chewy]. In my personal opinion these are WAY BETTER than using Graham Crackers. Way better. Guaranteed I'll be making s'more!!!


...having to go to the grocery store several times a week since the Texas H*E*B franchise is so close to our home, I go all too often. But the bright side of this is, the food I serve for our meals is always much fresher!! Well, anyway, on the way back, I pulled into Walmart in hopes of finding something for the backyard bird count I am going to begin this Fall. I have been wanting to buy the 'Peanut' Feeder, but I can't see spending $30 on ONE feeder. I saw one at Tuesday Morning...they're nothing but farm fencing wire and a bottom and top of pot metal!! Gimme a break. Luckily I found something I can use this coming Autumn!---I guess it's a new product. And with it, they also have the peanut/suet balls to fill the feeder with for those that like this mixture!! All for about $10. I always like 'bargains'. LOL I'll let you know if it's a popular thing later in the upcoming season.

72 comments :

  1. Beautiful, fun and tasty post for Skywatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for dropping by uberrhund

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. ...thanks Jim. Your sunset on the marina is great also.

      Delete
  3. The sky does look like it's on fire. Beautiful capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Tara. I can't take credit for it tho...it wasn't MY making, but I couldn't resist capturing it for the moment through the camera lens.

      Delete
  4. Pretty sky shot! Humidity sucks, sorry! I love your sketches, well done! Have a happy weekend and hope you have some cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...cooler weather, I'm afraid, is a long time coming.

      Delete
  5. Ooohh- I'm going to have to try that smoothie! And your drawings are fabulous- truly so. You have so much talent- I hope you will continue to share them with us- pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you say pretty please like this, how can I resist? ;o)

      Delete
  6. That sunrise picture is beautiful! And I love seeing your drawings. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I guess I know what's going on my shopping list next time I go to the store. I've just started eating Greek yogurt and using it in smoothies, which is a drink I love for breakfast right now, with any fruit I have available. Your sketching is great Anni. I enjoy seeing what you put together. Have a great weekend! All of a sudden we are having a lovely much cooler day (in the low 70s and no humidity). I don't know how long it will last but I will take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a high in the low 70s?!!! Oh, be still my heart.

      Delete
  8. Dramatic, breathtaking skies, Anni, and what a fantastic capture for the day!! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you sweet Sylvia.

      Delete
  9. You are a lady of many talents even if you are burning up. I understand as in Texas it is hot, humid and no rain. I love your art work. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you so much for your kind words LV.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful skywatch photo, interesting recipe, and yes its hot here also and I don't like going outside generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love outdoors. But for now, I'm grateful for A/C

      Delete
  11. Your sketch is just wonderful!!! I am glad you framed it. Your first picture of the sky...seriously I have NEVER seen anything like it!!!! It DOES look like the sky is on FIRE!! I have never seen the light spread in this way! Your snacks look SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they, are...they're mighty tasty.

      Delete
  12. P.S. LOVE your new purple background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know. I'm thinking something yellow and 'hot' for August. LOL

      Delete
  13. You are so talented!!! I love bargains, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh ya, bargains are super. Especially finding something you can use and for such a good price.

      Delete
  14. Blazing sky and a tasty post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Did you enjoy the snacks I shared? Good!!

      Delete
  15. Wow...like the heaven is on fire !!! Great capture ! These strong Colors are wonderful :)

    Thank you for this nice photo !

    Greetings from Germany and enjoy your Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an incredible sky!! Happy SWF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad to know you liked the image share today.

      Delete
  17. That smoothie sounds really delicious. I love all of your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to try the smoothies?

      Delete
  18. I LOVE it when you show us your sketches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to read this Keetha! Thanks.

      Delete
  19. Your bird sketch is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wonderful drawing, anni! the sunrise says heat, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Yes, it was hot AND muggy that day after the clouds broke up by mid afternoon.

      Delete
  21. I will skip that new version of s'mores because I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stop until they were all gone! You might think your bird drawing is easy, but if it were me, you would still be laughing! Fun post, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....awwww, heck, I doubt that. I imagine you could draw some beautiful [even paint] scenes from your hikes. It makes no difference what is drawn, it's how the artist feels.

      Delete
  22. It's been so hot here, too...a little rain every now and then but nothing to write home about.
    I love chocolate ANYthing....always my first choice for a treat.
    I love your sketch...you are so talented.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH me too...chocolate is a good thing that we can all love. Try and stay cool. Just wish we'd get MORE rain. Not all at once of course. Gotta be specific in what I ask.

      Delete
  23. I love HEB and am so happy YOU get to shop there! That's one thing I miss about living in the RV park in Houston. The only one!

    I have MiMi Camp next month for my older grands and I am SO going to make YOUR version of S'Mores! Great idea! Love your drawings! Have you ever used pastels? Birds are so perfect for you since you love them so.

    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...I haven't used pastels before. I leave that talent to my niece...she's good at that medium. Thanks Linda.

      Delete
  24. Always enjoy my visits here....you are so talented...
    Can't wait to see how the quilt is coming...
    We usually have S'mores in the cooler months when we can have a fire in the fire pit...I really just prefer to roast my marshmallows and eat them that way and eat my chocolate separate...
    Stay cool, Annie
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding quilting...deep down I have a gut feeling it'll be a disaster.

      Stay cool yourself Ms. S.

      Delete
  25. ANNI LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG COLOR SCHEME!!
    YOU ARE NOT ONLY A DRAWING GENIUS YOU ARE ALSO A SNACK GENIUS.
    I LOVE YOGURT AND THIS SOUNDS MOST REFRESHING. I WILL BE TRYING IT FOR CERTAIN. OH DEAR ME WE TOO HAVE BEEN HELD IN THE CLUTCHES OF THE 3 H's here too. BORN AND RAISED IN IT BUT I'VE NEVER GOTTEN USED TO IT.
    HUGS C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it...let me know if you liked it!! I thought it made a excellent breakfast with little cleanup!!

      Thanks for the blog design compliment Ms. C!!

      Stay cool.

      Delete
  26. Hi There, Great post and I LOVE your 'loud' blog look.... Made me squint!!!!! ha.... One reason I hated Texas was the heat. I'm not a heat-lover ---and since I don't like AC (but have to have it there), I was thrilled to move north!!!!

    Don't apologize about showing off your drawings. I'd LOVE to have some talent in that area --but have none. SO--I love seeing your sketches/drawings.... Awesome!

    I eat nothing but Greek Yogurt --and switched to it 2 yrs. ago when my doctor told me to get more protein. I love it---but I'm one of those weirdos who love the PLAIN kind. That taste is wonderful to me (crazy, aren't I?)---but then again, I am one to also love to drink buttermilk!!!!!! ha ha

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the plain yogurt. But my favorite is Vanilla. Yep, TX IS hot for sure.

      Delete
  27. Your bird sketch is awesome!!

    Curious to see how your quilting project turns out. I've been contemplating making one myself. And reading about and seeing Kathy's beautiful concoctions are what makes me think I want to try. Let me know how it goes with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy....but if I DO finish the quilt, I'll be sure to show it off. That is, if it's half-way decent enough TO show off. :o)

      Delete
  28. Oh I can't wait to try some Pecan bars as a s'more. I love s'mores anyway, but that really does look good! And for the record, I think your sketches are amazing! I can hardly draw a circle, so your amazing bird sketches that look real are always welcome.

    I can't imagine how hot it must be in TX these days. We laughed at ourselves whining about this warm Alaska summer. We are high 80's with the sun bearing down on us.. dry heat up here. The problem is we don't have AC at all. So that makes it challenging. A cool smoothie sounds like the ticket to staying cool ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, cool and delicious!!

      Hey? Blow some of that coolness of 80 degrees and dry wayyyyyy south please.

      Delete
  29. Oh, I love your drawing. Beautiful! As for the quilting, I wish you good luck and admire you for trying. Not me. My mother never sewed even though her mother and sisters did and so we didn't learn and I've never had a burning to try.

    Yummy stuff! That smoothie sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never quilted before, so this is all new to me. And what I read doesn't make much sense. Just wing it I guess and come what may will come.

      Delete
  30. My husband has finally tried Greek yogert. He is always late to the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud isn't much of a yogurt eater...he does like the frozen yogurt and that's about it.

      Delete
  31. I love Pillars of the Earth, both the film and the book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too read the book...but I must say, I enjoyed watching and re-watching the video/mini series. I personally like the series better than the book. The book was far too long and too wordy without saying too much at times. Like the series of Left Behind...have you read them?

      Delete
  32. Lovely sunset and tasty sounding recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your drawings and will never tire of you posting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and thanks for being the summer substitute FF hostess.

      Delete
  34. I never get tired of your sketches and I loved this latest one.
    I also love the sound of that smoothie and I have to try it.
    As for the peanut feeder I saw one once made out of a slinky. It was attached to a wire hanger formed into a circle and then filled with peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now...that slinky version sounds interesting! Will have to Google. LOL

      Delete
  35. Wow! That bird was fabulous. I couldn't knock that out in two months much less two hours. Well done!
    Hope your weekend was great!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete

.