my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



'Cause I eat my Spinach, I'm....

Right off the bat, you're probably wondering what the heck does eating Spinach have to do with Wild Bird Wednesday, Nature Notes, and Hodgepodge?!! It's all part of my Random Thought [#8] in Hodgepodge. You'll see....



WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY AND NATURE NOTES

One of my Epiphyllum bloomed again! For the third time this year!! It's gone bonkers! I didn't remember to get up so early to catch the blossoms [night bloomer]...but I remembered the flower buds beginning to open the night before, so prior to the sun hitting the patio, I went out on the patio and snapped these images. The sea breeze was blowing a bit strongly, so I took several to keep the flowers in the photos from being blurry. By the way, another word for Epiphyllum is Orchid Cactus. I believe they're origins are Africa. Not sure on that bit of trivia. It may be South America ... who knows?



While outdoors, I noticed the halo around the waning moon, so took this photo...


Did you know that a moon that is NOT QUITE fully illuminated is called a Gibbous Moon?!! If it's just a day or two from becoming full, it's a Waxing Gibbous Moon...if it's just a day or two AFTER a full moon, it's a Waning Gibbous Moon!!


...and as I turned around to head back indoors; the mosquitoes were getting a blood feast from me!! ---this little songster, on the backyard fence, was watching every move I took!








WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE


1. Share one way you think the world has changed for the better since you were a kid? We've had something similar to this question before, I believe, haven't we? Anyway, something better in my world, I guess right now I can only think for myself and that is to be financially stable.

2. How 'bout one way it's changed for the worse? People's attitudes!!

3. Starlight, starfish, starling, Starbucks...your favorite 'star'? Starlight, definitely!! And you thought I'd answer starling, didn't you. I do like other things besides birds. Really.

4. Name a song that's overplayed, but you love it anyway. I can only think of, offhand, any Christmas Carol during the season. Over and over again, but I still sing along each time. I can't help myself.

5. When did you last have home made ice cream? Your latest favorite flavor? Again, this is a repeat from a while back...The last time for homemade ice cream was years ago when our kids were young [and I and Bud were a LOT younger. lol] My mom and dad had a get together and we all ended up taking turns 'turning the crank' or adding rock salt! I have never liked homemade ice cream that much. I don't know if it's the way my folks made it or what, but I would much prefer BLUE BELL!! And, as I answered before, the favorite is Black Walnut...made by Texas's own company....Blue Bell. Some things never change. Black Walnut has been my favorite ever since I can remember.

6. What do you think is the best way to inspire or motivate people? Encouragement!! And praise for a job well done...or for a job done to the best of their ability.

7. When was the last time you were without power? Sometimes the power flickers...which happened recently. But the last time when the power went out for hours was a couple summer's ago. My question is: "Why does it go out during the hottest days of the year?"

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Within the interior of the Port Aransas Museum [I posted some about this weeks ago here and here], on a display wall, there is a history of the fishing village done up with post cards. This one in particular I had to get a photo of, with permission from the docent; dubbed "Popeye the Sailor Man". In all actuality, "Popeye" was a captain on the vehicle ferry boats in the area. J.M. Taber...and much to delight of the passengers in their vehicles while crossing the ships' channel on his ferry, he often entertained them by dancing the "Sailor Dance" on deck. The first vehicle ferry boat was commissioned in the mid 1920s called "The Mitzi". A road connecting Port Aransas with the Padre Island Causeway was completed in 1954, providing direct vehicular access. Today, in addition to the road connecting Port Aransas to Padre Island and what is now called the John F. Kennedy Causeway, Port Aransas is served by six 20-car ferries that bring more than one million cars to the island each year, coming and going from the other direction - Arnasas Pass, Texas which is about 5 miles from Port Aransas via the ferries. Port Aransas is strong to the finish!!! With the likes of Popeye the Sailor Man and its bountiful history, beautiful area for fishing, boating, relaxation, beaches and the closeness of Corpus Christi's city amenities if desired.


PS...I wasn't home yesterday, nor will I be today for the most part...I will get back to y'all who visited me when I can. You're not being ignored...honest!!  [posted on Tuesday morning]

58 comments :

  1. Love the picture of the cute little sparrow, Anni. Wherever you are, I hope you're having a good time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unusual and beautiful flower. The sparrow is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, weren't you bright eyed this morning!
    Loved this post...didn't know about Popeye but I sure do like Spinach.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud likes Spinach too...me, I think it's nasty when cooked/canned. But fresh it's okay.

      Delete
  4. I love all your pictures! The moon shot is amazing!
    Our power goes out quite often - the last time was yesterday. It was only out for about 30 minutes, but it messed up all my clocks. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your clocks? Are they all digital? I hate that when they're all blinking!!

      Delete
  5. That's a cute little sparrow and I love your moon shot!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful flowers Anni...
    I love spinach but I think skeeters love me better!
    I used to replenish seed in my feeders and the bird bath just before dusk so it would be fresh for the birds in the AM...but the skeeters are hungry then. Now I do it just after lunch.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in the heat of the day they're hiding from us. But the flower would've been all wilted up...they only last one night.

      Delete
  7. So there really was a Popeye and this story is about him? Or did they call him Popeye because there already was one? Your moon shot is DIVINE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....lol....no, Ginny, he isn't the real popeye. At least I don't think so. Glad you liked the moon shot.

      Delete
  8. That night-blooming cactus is so beautiful. Thanks for braving the mosquito bites and getting photos for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...those 'skeeters were ravenous that morning. Glad you enjoyed the photos Mick.

      Delete
  9. Great fun!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, love your moon shot and the pretty shots of your blooming cactus. The sparrow is adorable. I would the starfish is my favorite! Great post, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen....You'd prefer a starfish?....I would have never guessed that would've been your choice.

      Delete
  11. Nice shot of the moon, Anni! The little sparrow is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell, even being there, whether the sparrow has seed on its beak/face or not. LOL

      Delete
  12. That sparrow is adorable! Great moon shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry I haven't been around much, but I have been reading. You are pretty in pink this week. And I have to say - do you watch The Pickers - they just found some items with Popeye on them and bought them - they resell it to make money. Popeye is worth a lot of money! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...green [as in Popeye's spinach], gives a whole new meaning then....as is MONEY.

      Delete
  14. I love our own Popeye, even though this is the first I'd heard of him! And mmmmmmm. Nothing like Bluebell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...he really reminded me of Popeye too when I saw his face on the postcard.

      Delete
  15. I think that sparrow may be a bit of a youngster.

    Starlight (with firelight a close second) and super vanilla to answer two of your question.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: I added another image to the WBW - I forgot last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be right over....I did really like your not seen here in America bird this week Stewart!

      Delete
  16. I was sure you were going to say Starling : ) Sometimes a repeat slips in...I try to avoid that, but it happens on occasion. There have been a lot of Hodgepodges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh Joyce, I must apologize for my written thoughts. It wasn't intended to come across as a snide remark. I know just how time consuming and long hours of work you've put into the meme!!

      Delete
  17. Your cactus is beautiful and the sparrow is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the bird pictures. I also loved the Popeye one. He was one of my favorite cartoon characters as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist sharing our very own "Popeye".

      Delete
  19. Great answers for #1 and 2!

    Your mind must be a lot sharper than mind, 'cause I can't remember what the past Hodgepodge questions were! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Kathy. And I agree with your answers to the first and second questions this week.

      Delete
  20. So true about Christmas songs!! And great answer to number 6!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful flower and a nice shot of the house sparrow!
    Hope you had a wonderful time!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi hi! I agree with your #2 ! People's attitude's are sometimes so ridiculous. I remember how polite people used to be saying "how do you do" "after you.." etc. Although I hear those mostly from old classic movies. Anyway i should add that people are much more tolerant nowadays for #1.
    I had no idea Popeye was a actual person, was Olive Oyl real too? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, it's a sad shame how people treat others these days.

      Delete
  23. Gorgeous blooms!!!!! I always love your answers to the 'random questions'..... Guess I would say that medical research and improvements would be my answer to Question No. 1.... I was thinking technology--but in some ways, I think technology would be better as a No. 2.... Not sure that all of this new technology is good for us as a people.... I also agree that peoples' attitudes are much worse now ---especially kids. There's no respect for others anymore... Kinda sad.

    I'd choose Starlight also ---and even though I love birds, I certainly don't like Starlings... ha ha ...Starbucks would be LAST on my list.

    I don't know how long it has been since I had homemade ice cream. Think I may have had some at a Sunday School Party about 12-13 yrs. ago....????

    A gift of caring and listening always help with dealing with people. All people love affection --and someone who cares for them...

    Hope you have a great week. Eat your spinach!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll eat fresh spinach, but nothing canned or cooked. Ewwww.

      Delete
  24. Neat list of hodgepodge answers. thanks for sharing. I love Popeye. Had no idea he was from Texas or is it Arkansas? I need a geography lesson. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Starlight for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there's a bit of romance is a starlit night. At least I think.

      Delete
  26. Aw, that sparrow is adorable. Such a nice shot of him.
    I didn't know all that about the moon although I think I have heard something about it before.
    By the way, your comments on my post today had me cracking up. And to answer your question the craft show is this weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's true. LOLOLOL

      And, Good luck, hope you sell out!!

      Delete
  27. Another way to motivate people, say thank you and mean it! Say it every time they do something!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow that moon shot..I can't get a decent one at all. I love Popeye...and all of your interesting tidbits... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete

.