my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




...by the sea, by the sea

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
link on sidebar

Well, I can get some images loaded this morning now that I have a new cable modem!!
These are the nesting terns I posted about yesterday. Tho I didn't see any babies, I did see some immature Least Terns with the adult Terns, so I'll share the photos I took:

This is the area of the roped off beach where the terns' nesting took place. The photo, taken from a goodly distance 'cause the city roped off the area to protect the birds and nests, shows the 'long shot'. The small white 'dots' in the photo along the sandy beach area of the bay are Terns! Both adults, some laying on their nests, while others are immature terns barely getting the adult colorations. Yes, there is trash on the shore also...afterall, tho it doesn't excuse the mess, it IS near the Texas A&M Campus and on campus apartment complexes ---usually a good area for college activities and parties. For some reason they expect the city to come in and clean up after them. :::sigh:::

...zooming in on the area:

Immature Least Terns


Adult Least Tern [left] Immature [right]



___ * * * ___



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
link on sidebar



1. What's something people might ask you for help with? Since it's just the two of us these days, it's usually Bud asking for help with his new phone right now. He is not smartphone savvy with the ins and outs of setting preferences. The rest of the 'people' would be family and they usually call when they need 'know how' on computer issues and/or home repair work. That's about it.

2. What's something you might ask someone else for help with? For the most part, I try to be as independent as I can be. Probably what others would call stubborn. It's in my blood. LOL -- -- I do know that if I can't retrieve something that I need stored higher than my reach, and I'm too lazy to get the step ladder, I call Bud to get it for me. When you're married as long as the two of us, we are each others 'extensions' in thoughts and actions.

3. Did your family take summer vacations when you were a child? If so, where did you go? If you're a parent, did/do you plan summer vacations with your own family? Did/do they resemble those you took as a child? To answer in sync here, Yes, we took vacations. We went wherever my parents chose to go. Sometimes across the country to see a particular sight in another state, or other times we would travel for miles/days to see a family member, or maybe a camping trip. As for planning vacations for Bud, me and the kids...we traveled in the summer quite often [had vacations in Autumn and Winter at times also]. Our vacations never seemed like the vacations I took as a child with my parents. Bud, the kids and I most always flew to parts of the USA and Old Mexico, with reservations in hotels and itineraries that were never melded around visiting family nor camping/fishing trips. They were always geared toward sight seeing, historical, or just lazing a week at a beach with room service.

4. Pool, lake, ocean...which one is most appealing to you on a hot summer day? A swimming pool has never impressed me. It's nothing but a cement pond, and only adequate if you're land-locked - costly upkeep too. Lakes are great if shaded and heavily wooded --and especially the mountain lakes where you can sit on the bank and look out from there at a distance and still see a snow-capped mountain framed amidst the pine...in mid-July!! But, ocean-------they've always been a part of the world that draws me to them!!! I love the sound, the smell, the misty salt spray, the color, the sunrises and sunsets. Standing on land, watching a tropical storm come in from the horizon, the emotions of the sea, the turbulence, the calm, the fog--you name it, the ocean is by far the best of nature along any coastal region.

5. Have you ever justified using the expression, 'you gotta be cruel to be kind'? Was it really necessary or were you rationalizing? The expression itself is new to me. Is this something like tough love? If that be the case, then, yes, I've used it often raising two children. I was a strict disciplinarian. If one of my two kids went out of their way to disobey, tough love was the answer often; and justified. There is a part of love when it comes to teaching about rules and regulations as children or teens grow; which is a kindness in the long haul of things. And both Erik and Irene have thanked me several times since they are now adults. This expression tho, in the terms of your question, makes me think that "rationalizing" sounds to be a bit one-sided...a topsy-turvy emotion of your cruel action - your cruelty was on the verge of revenge? Maybe I'm reading into this differently than intended? If you have to rationalize your action after the fact, it wouldn't be justified. Would it? Like I said, I've never heard of the expression before now.

6. The Journal of Psychology recently mentioned the results of a survey identifying the ten most hated foods as-liver, lima beans, mayonnaise, mushrooms, eggs, okra, beets, brussel sprouts, tuna, and gelatin. Of those foods, how many do you actually hate? Anything you'd add to the list? I like 'em all....but one! And that is OKRA. Just this past Saturday when we arrived at the Farmers' Market, standing in line with all the other patrons to pay for our purchases, so many had bags of fresh okra and I cringe at the thought. Ewww.

7. What's your favorite book or movie set in a beach or lake town? Oh I love this movie. The story, the romance, the scenery, the music, the innocence of "Baby" yet her bravery helping a pregnant friend and her own daring secret - all revealed at the end; it's a CLASSIC....



By the way, the movie is "Dirty Dancing"...Added note: I like "Jaws" also! And as for a book, John Steinbeck's "The Pearl" was a good one.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Well, the good connection only lasted about 30 minutes yesterday. Yes, several times I unplugged and rebooted, to no avail. At 9 a.m. I was at the cable company's door; returned the bad modem and got a replacement. It's up and running like a charm. I kinda figured it was the cable modem. Finally -- Fast, furious, and fine!! OH AND BY THE WAY, THE PACIFIC OCEAN IS BY FAR THE PRETTIEST OCEAN!!

72 comments :

  1. enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise...you've been on my mind lately. Hope you're well.

      Delete
  2. Love the tern pictures and glad to know you have finally gotten the beast up and running (I mean the cable). I agree that the Pacific is the prettiest, but I do have to say I have memories of Puerto Rico's beaches being beautiful, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya....anywhere in the Caribbean SEA is pretty...the water is truly turquoise. But I consider that a 'sea' in context to oceans versus sea.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your Tern pictures. Glad the cable modem seems to have fixed your problem - that kind of thing is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I would have rather fought with the wallpaper border that you had going for ya!! ;o)

      Delete
  4. I love the Terns, they have attitude! Great shots! I love the rocky coastline of the Pacific Northwest! Bermuda has an awesome beach! Great post,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my favorite area is the Oregon coast.

      Delete
  5. Your summer vacations descriptions sound much like mine, from childhood to present. I really do miss those old camping trips...

    Love your terns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...tho I enjoyed camping as a kid, I'd much prefer room service these days. LOL

      Delete
  6. I really like the Terns. I managed to see 3 different types when I visited Grandma recently. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Anni - those stoodents - a pain in the you know what with their untidyness. Boy am I glad I was never young! Just Kiddin again. My grandkids won't touch greens. Not our doing as we only have them 1/7 but we did get them into fruit(and maybe red grape juice later). Amazed you never heard of "cruel to be kind" but yes "tough love" is much the same. Go easy on the new modem, don't want to do yourself an injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says I was born grumpy...I complain about little ditties like these messes that they never clean up after themselves. Nope never heard the expression 'til today. Go figure. What happened to those grandkids of yours? No greens? Oh my.

      Delete
  8. O'm impressed that the city is protecting the terns! Super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, this whole area is pretty good with protecting the wildlife. So many have been disturbed to near extinction for the coastal shoreline. I guess we live and learn...and hopefully learn our lessons well.

      Delete
  9. Great post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. terns are so cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cute indeed...and feisty when they're nesting.

      Delete
  11. Great photos of all the terns - both adult and juvenile. I love the Pacific Ocean also - but then it is right close to where I live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....of course being where you are, the Pacific is gorgeous I'm sure. I like the Pacific NW coast...heck, even down around LaJolla in California, it's pretty. :o)

      Delete
  12. Wow, you sure have had your share of computer problems! I hope now it is for sure all fixed! The first time we saw Jaws was in the movie theater and I got a horrible headache! LOVE dirty Dancing, it is a classic. To me, Okra is so SLIMY, eww!! I'm glad the terns were roped off, maybe this will give them a head start in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, I agree about the tern and the city's action, but question always pops up...do people actually obey?

      Delete
  13. Annie, I like all those foods but Okra, too (actually, I've never even tasted Okra). I also like your terns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that makes two of us then....I'll eat my veggies, but place okra on my plate and nosiree-bob!!

      Delete
  14. I really like the pictures of the terns.
    My husband asks for help with his smart phone too. There is still a lot I don't know how to use on mine but I've got way more figured out than he does. He's having a heck of a time with his

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sound to me that our two "men" are too macho to figure out how to set a ringtone, or add a contact to their lists?!!!

      Delete
  15. It's good to know that the tern's nesting area is protected! They really are quite handsome birds. I live between two of the Great Lakes, and they are both awesome, so I'd have to say lakes are my fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ya, I can understand being that you live by the beautiful great lakes!

      Delete
  16. Great image series you show Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loved the terns and glad you've got your internet happening!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful birds. I don't know what's wrong with people. They can't be bothered to use the trash can even if there's one only a few feet away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the 'trashy' comment....why oh why can't people just simply pick up their refuse and place it in the receptacle?!!

      Delete
  18. Nice photos of the terns
    and a beutiful place!
    Thanks for your comment!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your new background : ) Or did I not notice it before? I don't think I made it here last week-it's been crazy busy at my house.

    The Pacific is prettier than the Atlantic, but I am most partial to the Gulf Coast...when we go to Florida we prefer to stay on that side which is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I am partial to the rocky coast in NW USA, and the color of the pacific.

      Delete
  20. Ahhh...Dirty Dancing! I completely forgot about that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have that one on DVD, but if I ever find it...well, guess what I'll buy? LOL

      Delete
  21. Never even thought of Dirty Dancing - but yes I love that movie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...one of my favorites. :0)

      Delete
  22. Great answers! Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Dawn. Have a great day yourself!

      Delete
  23. I love your description of the ocean...now I'm wanting to go to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. consider yourself invited....

      Delete
  24. Great pictures of the terns. We have a roped off area for the cormorants in our favorite walking spot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the ocean! We go every chance we get!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Anni you know how much we love wild bird wednesday and your pictures are spectacular worthy of National Geo.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, shucks, you two flatterers, you!!

      Hope you both are doing well!

      Delete
  27. A mountain lake sounds beautiful. I would love that. Dirty Dancing was a good movie. I forgot it takes place at a summer resort. I'm totally with you on the okra. Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...okra is enough to [in my husband's words] 'gag a maggot'. ;o)

      Delete
  28. very nice shots of your terns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  29. wow! look at all these comments! : ) I answered very similarly to question #5. Never really heard that expression before. But your right, if your a mom, you HAVE to be tough. Sometimes it just comes with the territory. LOVED your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They" say...GMTA then. Glad you enjoyed the photos too.

      Delete
  30. Beautiful shorebirds. It's nice to know that the nesting sites are roped off and protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish all cities would take great interest in the wildlife that is in their areas.

      Delete
  31. Nice that you could zoom in to the nesting birds.
    I'm not a fan of okra either, also, I just manage to tolerate zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, zucchini is only good in soups with other veggies disguising its flavor and textures. LOL

      Delete
  32. Anni, I'd like to ask you a S-TX bird question. Someone in Harlingen wrote (in a letter) that there was a 'large bird with a long, long, slender bill that spends its winters plunging its bill into ripe oranges and grapefruit. One plunge to one fruit, ruining the fruit.' The birds weren't eating the fruit, just plunging their bills into them. Do you have any idea what bird this might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, depends...what do you mean large bird? Like a Heron or large like a crow? Long beak? Like a Heron or like perhaps a thrasher....they have long beaks and some are curved. What color are they?

      Delete
    2. I don't know; those are the only details provided. It was in a letter written by Rose Wilder Lane to a friend of hers while she lived in Harlingen, and I just wondered if there was a particular bird known for doing that. Sounds like several have the bad habit!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes...there are several who love the citrus fruits in their diets.

      Delete
  33. Your tern pics are awesome, Anni. We don't have these birds over here.

    I love the Pacific Ocean too especially Monterey Bay. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....pretty area! I agree.

      Delete
  34. I think it was about 2 a.m. last night when I read this....and I thought, "Dirty Dancing was my mom's favorite movie in the 80's." Then I remembered going to the Dirty Dancing concert....in Austin....with Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes and Eric Carmen....and the Dirty Dancing dancers...and I was so disappointed when Bill Medley didn't sing You're My Soul And My Heart's Inspiration and Eric Carmen didn't sing Boats Against the Currents. Sad night for me. My mom loved it though.

    As always, love your posts! Don't forget some of us are reading it so late (or early...lol) that we are too zombified to comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy....I met Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield in the 60s. Actually, it was 1967! What a trip.

      Delete

.