my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



...you were always on my mind-



  • Bud and I watched an older made for TV movie from way back in the '70s this week.  The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.  I read the book long ago when our kids were just toddlers and still in diapers....but even today, it's still just as poignant as it was back nearly 4 decades ago!!  The DVD was found at Walmart for $5.  I couldn't pass it up.  I remember to this day just how the movie ends, and still this time around, tears welled up to see her walking in the fields by her beloved, and ancient, mighty oak trees!  I found that you don't need to buy the DVD set, anyone can watch it for free on HULU.  Cicely Tyson starred as Miss Jane Pittman.  Of course, at the end of the movie, Bud and I had to discuss her a bit....wondering if she is still alive.   That she is...born in 1933.  So, I guess  that makes her  nearing or at the age of 80!!  She just made a movie, in post production according to IMBD --in 2013.  My goodness, more power to her!!  She always was one of my favorite actresses.

  • ...let me ask y'all this: "Is it hot enough for you?" The last few days here in South Texas we're looking at the reminiscence of our desert dwelling days...by mid-afternoon, look up and see: the Arizona White-hot sky!! 'Bout now, I'm ready for Autumn. LOL

  • We did venture out last Saturday morning to the very first release of the Kemp Ridley Sea Turtle Babies!! But we left too late from home and by the time we got to the National Park's Gate, the line of traffic was way too long. Being the first release and it was held on a WEEKEND...the crowd was immense!! And, once we finally got within the park's boundaries to park the car at the release sight, we kinda figured we were too late for the beginning. Indeed we were...but I prevailed, and waded out to sea so I could turn around and get the last 'stragglers' trying to make it out into the Gulf waters. It's a bittersweet event. Knowing that they were 'saved' from harm on the beach by vehicles running over them...yet, all knowing that maybe one from a thousand will actually survive in the water to return next time to lay eggs. They're so cute!! It was worth trudging out to the sea; getting up to my waste in salt water, fighting the surf to remain upright while the sand beneath my feet gave way to the currents.. trying to zoom in on the little ones!! And yes, my clothes were soaked; luckily the camera didn't get wet...

  • ...and being so hot outdoors these past few weeks with the humidity so high, I've kept myself busy somewhat...indoors, with the A/C running full speed, by sketching a caricature of a favorite Country Western Performer. We've been to his live concerts...and what a charmer he is...can you guess who it is?
    The first steps of sketching to framing:

    ...the finished project:

  • And on the 22nd and 23rd we hoped beyond the miracle of nature that the coastline would be free of clouds to be able to witness the moonrise of the Summer's Super Moon. Of course, being summer and the evaporation of the bay waters, it's highly impossible to have a clear sky unmarred from the rising mist at the horizon. By the time we were actually able to see the full moon, the moon was into the skyline long after moonrise. But I did stick around and took some photos after sunset. Then, at 7:23AM on the 23rd, the actual full moon time frame, it was above our home! I took the camera outdoors and from the backyard I photographed it. I'm hoping to share some of the photos in a day or two. I have them off the camera SD Card, and on the computer, but once again, they need to be re-sized and readied for a blog post. The next time the moon is closest to earth will be August of 2014.

  • Okay, the dryer wasn't drying the denims well. It took two cycles to even get them partially damp!! The outside of the dryer's walls was extremely hot to the touch. I was afraid of an internal fire hazard. Bud pulled the dryer out, unclamped the air vent from the dryer and the outer wall ---guess what? A BIRD NEST was in the dryer vent hose!!! Everything is peachy-keen now. And a new cover was purchased for the outer brick ... to keep this from happening again.

  • On Wednesday, Bud and I went to the movie theater to see the newly released flick: A MAN of STEEL. Not bad; typical comic book hero movie tho...redundant in so many ways comparing it to the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. ---Same outcome, different effects and scenes. Quite a few 'oldies but goodies' starred in this with the new [and I may add eye candy] Superman. The likes of Diane Ladd [she never ages...what's her secret?], Crowe, Fishburn, and Costner. With Kevin Costner's scenes, his demeanor and style made me think perhaps in the corn fields, he'd go out and build a baseball diamond, but it never happened. The best part for me, the whole gist of the movie, it explained a lot of the home planet of Clark Kent, and his history of Kyrptonite, etc. I'd give it a Roger Ebert thumbs up, but save your money and get it on a DVD to watch later.

  • One more thing before I go...in the South there is a famous/popular fast food restaurant...in fact its origins are in Corpus Christi...the Whataburger. Yep, just like it's spelled...What a burger. I noticed about a month ago, the local chain store, H E B's had on their shelves, a new product...Whataburger's ketchup and mustard in a bottle. Now, this past week, another new product made it to the store...in conjunction with Whataburger...their french fries!! In a bag. [like chips] They're crunchy...you bite into them and you're expecting the hot soft, greasy, french fry and you're gonna be surprised. They're crispy. The taste is VERY close to the french fries you get in the restaurants, but for me...after trying them, they left an aftertaste I wasn't too 'crazy' about. I'd much rather drive to the bay and sit at the multi-level place and eat HOT food, with the view of the marina!!




  • Oh, and in case you were curious to where the sandpiper was 'hiding' in the photo I shared on my previous post, here it is outlined with pink arrow pointing to it. And the black necked stilt is 'highlighted' in pale blue tone to the top left.





    Man of Steel image courtesy of Google Image Search [no copyright infringement intended]


    57 comments :

    1. You are so talented! I can see it's Willie Nelson, one of my old favorites!
      I love the turtle pictures. Thanks for showing that Sandpiper - I finally see him.
      Glad your dryer issue was easily resolved. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Mari. Yep, he's a favorite around here too.

        Delete
      2. This has been one hot week out here on the plains of West Texas...111 one day...109....yesterday not quite as hot at 102..this morning, it is cloudy, thundering some and we are doing the rain dance as fast as we can.

        Love Willie !! :) Cute drawing. You are so talented, Anni.

        Not crazy about Whataburger..but we have them all over town.
        We have a place called Buns Over Texas here that serve up the most delicious burgers...oh, my...:)
        For a fast one, I still like Dairy Queen...:))
        xo

        Delete
      3. BJ...that's just way too hot already!! Yep, nor am I 'crazy' over Whataburger, but if someone were to ask me if I'd rather cook or go out for a whataburger....guess what I'd choose?!! LOL
        I'll have to see if Buns Over Texas is here in Corpus. I don't think so tho. I do recall seeing them in ........ Austin maybe? Can't remember where for sure.

        Delete
    2. I mixed the sandpiper up with the stilt. And yes, you are incredibly talented, Anni! Your dryer never works all that well when a bird is already got plans for the hose! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Guess they mistook the HOSE for HOUSE in this case, huh? ;o)

        Delete
    3. We just got home from seeing Man of Steel. We thought it was pretty good (my boys, hubby and me). And yes, I agree, he is pretty easy on the eyes. Yowza!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Love me a number 5 combo at Whataburger...Hubby and I used to get it every Sunday morning before I went to work (the bacon cheeseburger, fries and a drink) and we'd have the burger cut in half....did that for about 9 years....until some new folks working there made us feel like we were a bother...so we quit going in. Now, we have one every once in a while at lunch. We tried that bag of "fries" ....never buy another.

      I love Christopher Reeves as Superman....and if I had a 7 year old grandson, I'd have to take him to this version, but once you've seen Christopher Reeves flying through the sky holding Lois Lane, you might as well stay home and wait for a dvd. I MIGHT watch it on dvd.

      Those turtles are darling and you are one in a million to go out and brave the surf and get wet and risk your camera and footing to get a picture of them!

      LOVE your Willie drawing....wish you were having a give away with that! You have an amazing amount of talent!!!

      And yes, it's quite hot enough, thank you. I would appreciate it if you'd keep this heat more down your direction where it belongs! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. In my opinion, this guy is better looking than C. Reeves. But, probably not quite as genial and generous as he was. There was something awe inspiring with Mr. Reeves!

        Delete
    5. Wow...i´am speechles....

      Ok, i have one word : WONDERFUL !!!

      Weekend is on the way...Enjoy it

      Greetings from Germany

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Timur. And have a great weekend yourself.

        Delete
    6. How amazing to be at the baby sea turtle event!! And yes, it is Willie Nelson??? Right ON! What is your favorite Willie song? Can't wait to see your Super Mon!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...National Seashore runs these events through most of the summer, depending on how many nests they found over the season. And my favorite song? The title of this post. ;o)

        Delete
    7. Awesome pictures. Great drawing of Willie Nelson, you are beyond talented my friend. Enjoy your weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Your sketch is very good. I like it very much. Thanks for the nod about Hulu carrying The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittmann. I remember that I loved the movie when it came on TV in the seventies.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...now that we have no more cable for our TV, we rely on hulu a lot when we don't want to watch our own DVDs.

        Delete
    9. Thanks so much for your visit and thanks for the info. on the fries. I've wondered about them. We have Whataburger right down the street. Paula from south Texas

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...they're okay, but not all that noteworthy. In my opinion.

        Delete
    10. These are such wonderful frags I hardly know where to begin.

      Girl - you can DRAW!!! Love it and I'd know Willie anywhere.

      The turtle "run" is fascinating. No, mother nature does not have a soft spot for her babies. They are often fodder in the eat or be eaten rules of the wild kingdom.

      I saw a sketch this week of The Man of Steel with the face of LeBron. I'm a LeBron fan so u was OK with that.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Keetha!!! Long time no see. I'm glad you stopped by. And, hope that Twitter won't keep you away so long in the coming months. ;o)

        Thanks.

        Delete
    11. Willie Nelson! Love that guy and your artwork is fantastic.

      The turtles are cuties too!

      I've been hearing about your heatwave on the news. I hope it cools down for you soon.

      Happy weekend, jj

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Joanna. Yep, and today it's predicted triple digits for a high.

        Delete
    12. Hey Anni we have missed stopping by but hope to be back on track now.
      As always beautiful pictures but Oh my goodness your drawing of Willie is superb!!!
      I love his music too.

      HOT AS HE 'DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS' HERE TOO AND humid! I agree I'm well over summer and it has just been a week.

      Hugs Madi and Cecilia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know....too hot already. It's gonna be a long summer.

        Delete
    13. Cicely Tyson was in The Help.......but I don't know if she's still alive.....at least I think it was Cicely!

      You are incredibly talented, I knew it was Willy before the final pic was done!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Well from your post title I knew good old Willie Nelson had to be in here somewhere :)
      Too bad about missing the beginning of the release. I like the shots of the stragglers though

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...well they release a lot more during the next couple months...maybe we'll be ready the next time.

        Delete
    15. Anni, You are definitely ready for the 4th--great decorations on your blog. My, you have had a busy week !!! When we were in Florida, the sea turtles were coming up on the beach to lay their eggs. The street lights around the beach were dimmed and someone would come and rope off the area where the turtles had made their nest so that it would not be disturbed. It was quite interesting--I would love to be their when the babies hatch out. Sad to think so many of them will not make it. Your sketch is great--you are very talented. Have a good weekend. Keep cool. Mickie :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...around Texas, we have to report the nests found so they can collect the eggs and take them to the special building/incubators.

        Delete
    16. That's a great sketch of Willie Nelson! You're quite talented. As for me, I have trouble drawing a straight line :(

      Loved the sea turtle pictures, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks. Oh yes, those baby turtles are so precious.

        Delete
    17. Anni - bite your tongue about wanting fall! There was still some snow where I hiked this week. What a great experience to see the baby turtles - I like your pics. Can't believe that bird wasn't roasting in the dryer vent!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Great sketch of Willie - I've seen him in concert several times. Quite a crowd pleaser!

        Delete
      2. Well, I know just how well it cools off at night in Colorado...here, it's another story!! And there were no birds...thank goodness. Just an unfinished, abandoned nest. At least I hope so.

        Delete
      3. ...and yes, Willie IS a crowd pleaser!

        Delete
    18. Hello, you are talented! I love the sketch. I love that Willie song. And the turtles photos are so cute, I would love to watch this turtle release. Wow, what do you do with a nest when you had to remove it from your dryer vent? Great post, have a happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Eileen. In regards to what we did with the nest...we just threw it away...it was abandoned and perhaps not even completely constructed.

        Delete
    19. Anni, you are just so busy as a bee all the time flitting here there and everywhere whilst entetaining us with your tales. And now you are an artist as well as something of a gourmet and a birder. I would have loved to help with those tiny turtles - lets hope lots make it back to thrill us all next time. Sitting out with food (and a beer) and a view over the marina sound good too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...Phil? --- they have turtle releases all summer every year. Maybe someday you could fly here and help out. It's not only a learning experience, it's so great to watch and cheer for the first of the hatchlings in the group to finally make it to the water and swim away. Oh ya...and ICY cold beer sounds like a bit of heaven right now!! I'm all for it.

        Delete
    20. Love the baby turtles photography and your sketch is dynamite~ Wow! ~ Happy Day to You ^_^

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...glad you liked this post. And, happy day to you too!!

        Delete
    21. The turtle release would have been exciting to see. We have a small program here for the inland lake turtles and people volunteer to sit and watch to keep them safe.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. How cool is that?!! I love reading stories like this. It's always a 'feel good' emotion.

        Delete
    22. How exciting to see the release of the baby turtles! That is a wonderful sketch of Willie Nelson.

      ReplyDelete
    23. That looks like fun!

      ReplyDelete
    24. The baby turtles are adorable!

      ReplyDelete
    25. love the little turtles...and great job on willie. saw him at Farm Aid last year!!!

      ReplyDelete
    26. O what a fascinating post! The dryer story had me chuckling! But really loved your adventures with the baby turtles! I think if I saw so many people, I may turn around and not go. But clearly your perseverance was worth it!

      ReplyDelete
    27. der Sandpiper auf dem letzten Bild hat sich aber gut versteckt

      die Zeichnung:D ach das hat mir auch sehr gefallen

      einen LG vom katerchen zum Sonntag

      ReplyDelete
    28. I love your caricature. You are so good.

      ReplyDelete

    .