my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Port & Starboard!


WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
...and nature notes
check out link on right-hand sidebar


The sea gulls are obvious, and the black necked stilt is pretty much in 'plain sight'...but can you find the sandpiper? --- I'll let you in on a little secret. I did NOT see the sandpiper when I took the picture --- not until I uploaded to the computer to frame the photo.








WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
check out the link on right-hand sidebar

1. Summertime is a season of reunions, weddings, and other family celebrations and gatherings...are any of the above on your calendar in the next two months? Nope. Used to be a lot of family reunions, but these days it's difficult for everyone to get together in one certain area...finances, travel, jobs, family vacations...they all 'get in the way' of planning.

2. June is National Iced Tea Month...are you an iced tea drinker? If so, how do you like yours (sweet, flavored, etc)? I always have a half gallon container of tea in the 'fridge. This last batch is 'flavored'. Lime Citrus and Green Tea from a TEXAS vendor in Magnolia, Texas! It's delicious and thirst quenching! But, I personally like just plain tea....no sweetener, no flavoring.

3. When were you last nervous? Looking back, was the 'event' actually nerve-worthy? Just a few days ago, I witnessed an accident ahead of me!!  The driver hit the curb and flipped over...scary.

4. The bristle toothbrush was invented in China on June 26, 1498...not sure how that date was pinned down so precisely but, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being sick to your stomach and 1 being not at all, how nervous do you feel when you're headed to the dentist? Do you see your dentist twice a year? Let me put it this way, dentist is a four letter word in our house. O U C H  -as for 'sickness'...I don't go unless my teeth ache, so I don't know.

5. What's making news in your town this week? Well, I was reading just a few minutes ago about the street tax that the city is working on to implement...for infrastructure repairs!! I won't get into their ways/thoughts/actions...but it's quite unfair to those who DON'T drive, and still rent or own property.

6. Curtains, drapes, blinds...your window treatment of choice? Are there any bare windows in your house? Is that by choice or because you haven't gotten around to covering them? EACH and EVERY window, including the door windows are covered on the exterior with permanent hurricane shutters, that can open and close depending on peaceful weather or tropical storm weather!!! The interior, mostly curtains. The dining room, however, has nautical fish net for window covering. With tie-backs in jute and glass bouys [floats]...red of course on the 'port' side of the window, and green on the starboard side!!

7. Summertime is officially here (in the Northern hemisphere anyway)...what one song is a must-have on your summer playlist? I'm listening right now as I type I ♥ Radio...Oldies 93.9 [South Texas] ---any song is good. Loud [rock n roll] and classic. The song playing right now is I Can't GET NO Sat-t-t-t-tisfaction!! By the Rolling Stones. Good music. LOL  [Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft is a GREAT summertime song]

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I'm working on this on the 25th of June...which is, in history, the day of General George Armstrong Custer's LAST STAND...in 1876. Years ago, I donated money in my husband's name and in turn he was given ownership of a 100x100 square foot area of the property near the monument in Crow Agency, Montana. It was a surprise gift for him from me...and I was so concerned that the deed would come in the mail on a day he was not working! But it came when he WAS at work, and I took the deed down and had it framed for him [in Custer's 7th Cavalry colors...blue and gold]. Our kids will never forget the day we gave it to him...Bud cried [he is a Custer History Buff] to know that he was proud owner of part of the Little Bighorn Battleground!! Just this morning Erik sent a text to Bud "So what happened in history today, in 1876?" ---it is just something our family always makes an effort to not let Bud forget. We've made several trips to Montana just for the purpose of walking the battlefield!!

Custer's Last Stand image courtesy of Google Image Search [no copyright infringement intended]

68 comments :

  1. Eek! That must have been something, seeing that accident. If it was on Staples, I can totally understand why someone would have an accident there!

    Very cool info on Custer. I just read an article last night on his last meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, it wasn't on Staples, but I'm pretty sure it was because of cell phone use while driving.

      Delete
  2. I see it! Great shot Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took these old eyes awhile but I did see it.
    What a wonderful gift for Bud.
    I get real nervous just coming upon an accident without seeing it happen.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is a tricky place to be standing I would think. But the bird seems quite nonchalant in this situation. LOL

      Delete
  4. Yes, I saw the sandpiper when I enlarged the photo...love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to hear you enjoyed the challenge and found 'him'.

      Delete
  5. I can't find the sandpiper!
    I saw an accident where a van flipped once. It really does get the adrenaline going.
    Funny you should have a question about what's making news here. There was a story that was all over the place here last night and when I read it, I thought - "Now that's a story for Anni!" Here's the link:
    http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/259721/14/Man-rips-off-part-of-penis-after-eating-mushrooms
    (Or it could be titled - Why you shouldn't do drugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness!!! I just read the article. Whoa!! Funny, yet sad at the same time. The comments - some were a hoot.

      Delete
  6. A Nice birdphoto, is it a kind of gulls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...most are gulls, Hans...but there is ONE black necked stilt and one sandpiper in the 'mix'.

      Delete
  7. These are really nice birdphotos... i enjoy it when i read your blog !!

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Timur, I'm glad you enjoy my posts!

      Delete
  8. I am just happy that I found the sandpiper with my bad eyes! I want that Stilt to come back here. Do you think I could fly one up here for a while for all of us sad birders!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...LOL, I'll see what I can do. [kidding of course]

      Delete
  9. in the back of the photo!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seals and Croft, I used to love them. i had an album that I played over and over.
    Is the sandpiper in top left corner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no, that is the stilt. Sorry. 2nd guess?

      Delete
  11. http://www.visitcleveleys.co.uk/recreation-and-entertainment/events/eventDetail.php?newsID=2346

    Yes Anni we have a scarecrow competition. Think I'll enter myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're gonna win top prize! [insert wink]

      Delete
  12. My guess on the sandpiper would be the one in the middle, but it is hard! I LOVE those tie backs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm thinking you may have found 'him'!

      Delete
  13. Great photo - Shorebirds are my favorite both to watch and to photograph - but the birds never make it easy for we humans!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a great dentist, but dread going, nothing to obstruct the views on my windows in Breck - except blinds in the bedrooms, and I'd like that tea plain - no sweetener, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep me too. Sweetener spoils the whole concept of tea.

      Delete
  15. Great shot of the gulls, Anni! I am a worry wort when it come to my son driving. I love just the regular ice tea. Have a great evening and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a great week yourself, Eileen.

      Delete
  16. Love and hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...same right backatcha Denise.

      Delete
  17. Good songs....wouldn't have expected those songs from you....don't know why!

    How sweet of you to give your hubby such a personal gift. And how awfully considerate of your son to remember him on that day.

    Glad that accident didn't end up including you! Too close for comfort!

    Tea...no....Diet Coke YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coke....that's a Southern thing, isn't it? Well, the accident was far enough ahead of me, I had reaction time to slow down and avoid it.

      Delete
  18. Hello - how are you? I haven't done my list yet I will tomorrow but I liked the questions and I really enjoyed your answers. We will have a lot of answers that are a like! I LOVE TEA TOO!!!! Sorry about the accident. And loved your photo! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm well Sandie, thanks for asking. Hope you're doing the same.

      Delete
  19. I love a photo with a surprise..... I enjoyed the questions and answers.... Where I live in western NY we don't have to worry about hurricanes or just the leftovers.... Snow is another matter... Michelle from NN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's why we relocated to the south coast....don't like snow any more after nearly 50 years of harsh winters.

      Delete
  20. I'm so with you on the dentist. I probably need to go right now but I'll wait until I HAVE to. :)
    I saw two replies about where the sandpiper was and had to go back and make sure I wasn't seeing things. :) It is there in the second row of birds - right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep....I guess it's the 2nd row, tho I can't tell with all the mix what row ends and where another begins.

      Delete
  21. I can see it great photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...see me giving you the 'high 5' gesture Nick. Way to go!!

      Delete
  22. Your random comment is pretty cool! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, it was worth all the effort to get this for him.

      Delete
  23. I saw the sandpiper! I think they're so cute : ) Our hummingbirds have returned and we really enjoy watching them feed and dance on our patio. Love your curtain tie-backs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I like the hummers too. They're so fun, and territorial in all their actions.

      Delete
  24. What a unique gift you gave your husband- precious! I love Summer Breeze- that is a great classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a very memorable day and gift!

      Delete
  25. Oh my goodness - I do hope the driver was ok! And in regards to what you said on my blog, I'm so sorry you lost your son-in-law... I'll listen to Sweet Home Alabama in his honor today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. abusive as a husband AND father, he was still part of the family and missed.

      Delete
  26. So do you not have road tax in USA? Everyone who owns any kind of motor vehicle here has to pay road tax - amount changes on how unenvironmentally friendly your vehicle is. This tax is (apparently) used to do road maintenance in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh ya, the states have road tax [by gasoline prices additions] but the city is adding a tax for the interior of the city, the city streets, NOT county or state roads.

      Delete
  27. wow #3! That is unfair.. What weird laws certain states have ;/ I also love iced green tea, or passion fruit..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...truly, I ask: Is anything fair with our government these days?

      Delete
  28. The gulls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I think so too Gunilla.

      Delete
  29. Hi yes I only saw the Sandpiper when I enlarged the photos. Well done. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you found the little one then, great!!! Glad you stopped by, I enjoyed your introduction comment today and hope to see you again, soon.

      Delete
  30. I found the sandpiper walking away from the crowd of birds. Great picture and a wonderful history story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  31. Oh yes, I love that song Summer Breeze...makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind. Whatever jasmine in my mind is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Jasmine is a summer blossom, and fragrant to an 'nth' degree, it's probably with the breeze the odor is on their minds. LOL....no, I don't know for sure, but that's my interpretation.

      Delete
  32. I love that you gave your husband a "deed" to a plot of land at Custer's Last Stand. Great gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks J D ---Hope your day is going well for you.

      Delete
  33. Half sweet, half unsweetened on the iced tea, honey in the hot tea. We just had our yearly family day celebration last week, hard to get them all together at the same time. I have drapes, blinds leave me cold and too much dusting...just throw the drapes in the washer and hang back up to dry...I like that~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, it's much easier than blinds for sure!

      Delete
  34. Managed to find the sandpiper. Seeing accidents like that can really shake you up.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting WBW Stewart!

      Delete

.