“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Misc. Thoughts, Rain...Legends & This and That...


Another week has passed by right before my very eyes. Once again, it's time to fragment the happenings...





  • I talked with my sister for some time, helping her with her email account. Problems with uploading images this time 'round!! She wanted to send me some bird photos; one from their property on the Western Slope, and one from a golf course when they were playing a round of golf. Now, it's no wonder why she took these two particular pictures....her favorite color is yellow!!


  • Bud found a book on North American Birds at Walmart's bargain book table this week! And after showing you the two photos above taken by my sister in Colorado, I was interested in the Tanager since we don't see them this far south in USA. The Western Tanager is just what it says "Western". But the red marking on their heads?------"The red pigment in the face of the Western Tanager is rhodoxanthin, a pigment rare in birds. It is not manufactured by the bird, as are the pigments used by the other red tanagers. Instead, it must be acquired from the diet, presumably from insects that themselves acquire the pigment from plants." I did not know this tidbit!!!  So, if I understand what I read, the red coloration is something they acquire from what they eat...that the head is yellow only until their diet adds the color?!!  Yes?

  • ...and in reading this new book, I've learned quite a lot about some of the local birds. For instance, one I have photographed before, the Loggerhead Shrike, it's nickname throughout history is the "Butcher Bird". For the fact that it has a sharp, hooked beak. It gained its nickname because of the way it uses its hooked beak to break the spines of its victims, which range from insects, lizards and rodents to even other birds. It then impales them on sharp spiky thorns or barbed wire to hold them while it disembodies or dismembers them. Larger prey may be left to decay, as this softens the flesh; also some toxic insects, like a grasshopper is left on the sharp object for the toxic juices to 'drain out' and then the shrike can consume the 'leftovers'..... interesting.  From now on, these birds, when I spot one and get a picture, they're all gonna be named Vlad [from history's REAL Dracula; Vlad the Imapler]

  • Some years ago, Bud and I went to our first ever baby turtle release on North Padre Island!! Which I posted about at the time. I believe it was the summer of 2010. Here's the link if you'd like to view some of the pictures I took back then...Turtle Release "To Know Them is to Love Them". We haven't been back since, and this week, through the grapevine, the two of us heard about the summer scheduling from the National Seashore, and we're thinking of going. When I called the local 'turtle release hot line'...there will be one this weekend. The recorded message told me it will be between the 21st and 24th. And that updates will be given during this time period. I will keep checking back so we can attend once again. There usually is a $10 entry fee to the National Park, but even so, it's well worth it to see these released into the wild and hoping against all odds that some will survive and return eventually to their home ---it's mother nature at its finest that they nest where they were born!! And the hour isn't bad 6:45 a.m. If we go, I will definitely take lots of photos!!

  • Also, on the 23rd of June the full moon will be here!! And it's a Super Moon!! I'm hoping it isn't cloudy. But, my Irish Luck seems to reappear when it comes to getting the spectacular occurrences of the sky...when there is something like this, the skies are overcast wherever I am at the moment. Go figure. By the way, if you enjoy watching the sky and viewing particular happenings, a great online site [organization] is Earth Sky. You can sign up for daily emails where photos are shared, links to other interesting sites, AND the science of sky watching...i.e., events and dates.

  • As you may have noticed, I joined a new online group. I'm not sure if it will be worth while, it's all new to me. But I am now a Texas Woman Blogger. See the new link on my right-hand sidebar.

  • I've been craving a cheeseburger!! I wanted to take Bud for a Fudrucker Burger for Father's Day. But when we arrived around 1 P.M. on Sunday the place was packed...the line for ordering went clear to the back of the restaurant. No way José! So we decided to forgo the Father's Day lunch, and went out to lunch Wednesday instead. And to Fudrucker's of course. Now, my next craving will be satisfied in due time...the colossal Chicken Fried Steak at Blackbeards. Then, my summer is set. LOL

  • I purchased and planted a new hibiscus! The Mexican Bird of Paradise is in full bloom now, the several hibiscus in our yard are heavy with blossoms as is one of the Don Juan climbing roses. And the ephyillum had another blossom [unusual for it to bloom again so soon, it's usually once a year]. Lawn mowing and edging, pyracantha bush trimmed, duranta trimmed and lantanas...all trimmed! Bud cut out the entire Texas Sage this week also. It was getting too lanky and 'messy' looking. Hoping it will grow back much denser in time. Oh and the pomegranate tree has TWO blossoms! Of course once the fruit sets on, the birds will get to them before they're ripened for me to pick. I will share some flower photos in my next post, hopefully. But...Yard work done: Check!! 'Til next week or sooner.

  • I've had this 'ceremonial' rainstick in possession ever since our Sonoran Desert days! When I took this picture before my rain chant---Tahoe was curious. Hence, she wanted in the picture! - Some sources describe the rainstick as a ceremonial instrument used by the Diaguita Indians in Chile and indigenous peoples in other parts of South America. They claim the ancients believed its gentle tinkling sound cajoled the gods into sending rain. These claims, however, are vague and not substantiated in the annals folklore. In modern legend, a young boy named Runs Without Fear steals his grandfather's medicine stick and shakes it as he rages against Father Rain because of an ongoing drought. Father Rain responds with a bolt of lightning that burns a hole through the center of the medicine stick. In defiance, Runs Without Fear fills the stick with dried seeds and nuts and shakes it again. The sound of the seeds and nuts rattling through the stick is so beautiful it causes Father Rain to weep tears of joy -- rain. I'm desperate!---I frantically shook the rainstick Thursday. Let's see if Father Rain weeps for us Texans!!!

  • Bud and I went to the Farmers' Market last weekend to purchase some home grown tomatoes since we didn't plant any tomato plants this season. I had a hankerin' for the home grown taste! Nothing can beat it. Anyway, after buying some tomatoes for our dinner for a couple of days, I walked over to have a look-see of another booth that had local artisans and their hand crafted wares. This one I stopped at had jewelry made from silver and sea glass. As I talked with her, she told me just where to go around our beaches and look for some. You don't know how many times I've searched the sand only to find nothing but broken glass and bottle caps!! So, with her knowledge and nothing else to do, we went where she told us to go to find some, and lo and behold...I FOUND one piece! Tho tiny, I was thrilled. Like I said, I've spent way too many hours hoping and coming home empty handed! Now I know just where to find some, AND WHEN to look for the pieces!! By the way, her jewelry was beautiful.

  • Finally, Amazon dot com has announced the new release dates for the two television series we follow online! NCIS Season 10 will be released August 20th!! And Grimm ---DVD Season 2 will be August 17th!! Yay. I can't wait to sit down and have a marathon on our big screen TV.  I'm sure I'll have the urge for hot buttered popcorn and Jr. Mints 'bout then.  :o)


  • 48 comments :

    1. Congrats to your sister...Very nice photos !!

      Enjoy your Weekend...

      Greetings from Germany

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Timur, enjoy your weekend also. And, thanks.

        Delete
      2. Hey Annie, such fun to make a visit to see what you were up to. The birds are great...of course, but oh sea glass, I love sea glass, and I have only 2, or 3 pieces that I ever found and then ended up purchasing some at the store. I just love it and wonder about where it originated before it became...sea glass...Happy week~

        Delete
      3. Mary...thanks. I too have always liked sea glass, but was never lucky enough to find some. Now I know where to look.

        Delete
    2. I remember years ago hearing about the Loggerhead Shrike and how it fascinated me, I had forgotten all about it. The head color and diet of the Tanager are amazing, a fact I had not known. How I would love to see a real yellow headed blackbird! Thanks for the heads up on the Super Moon, I had NOT known it! This time I will try to get some good shots without nearly getting killed or arrested, will you be snapping it?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ginny...I will TRY to get photos of the moon, but like I said, most times when stuff like that occurs here, it's overcast and no good opportunities.

        Delete
    3. Love the pretty Western Tanager, it is a gorgeous bird. My hubby love the Fudrucker Burgers. Congrats on finding the seaglass, it is pretty. Have a happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...Bud likes Fudruckers too. I'd prefer 5 Guys. LOL

        Delete
    4. We were in Hilton Head last year when there was a Super Moon. It was FANTASTIC to see it rise on the ocean.

      Did you know that seniors can buy a lifetime pass to the National Parks? $10. We don't have many national parks nearby but we bought one anyway for our travels.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...yep, I know. We have one. I was just adding that info for others who will be here for the summer, in case they'd like to go experience this.

        Delete
    5. Wow, Anni, this post was just crammed with interesting information! I enjoyed it all, too. Happy summer and I'll watch for that moon on Sunday night. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just hope the sky is clear for me here. {{{sigh}}}

        Delete
    6. The photography talent runs in your family! I hope I don't encounter a Loggerhead Shrike too closely. Yee-ikes! People so often look at birds as gentle, benign beings...not anymore! They're like the Jeffrey Dahmer of birds!

      Where is the Farmer's Market in Corpus and when is it open? I've wanted to go for a while~

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL....great cross reference/comparison of Jeffrey Dahmer. I like how you think.

        The farmers' Markets are on Water Street and Everhart. There are two of them. I've added another comment to your latest blog post. :-)

        Delete
    7. That information about the Tanager is really interesting! I would never have thought it was possible.
      Love your sea glass!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...I like learning and sharing stuff like this. Trivial, I know, but still interesting. I was thrilled with the sea glass, and hope to go back and find more. Thanks.

        Delete
    8. Wish I could join you for the NCIS marathon!! I started power watching Covert Affairs a few weeks ago. Great show! But Gibbs is just a great character :-)

      I love the Vlad reference!! Good history knowledge :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Gibbs is good, but Tony and Abby are my favorites. ;-)

        Delete
    9. Those pictures are very nice from your sister. I can see why she sent them, too. That was very nice of you to help her with her email program.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...she is not technically 'smart'. I'm always glad to help her out.

        Delete
    10. Love your sisters pictures and how interesting that they get the coloring from their diet.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...that blew me away at first! Not realizing that diet and skin color [like eating too many carrots] can have an affect, so why not with other animals?

        Delete
    11. I have sea glass earrings - I wear them almost every day. The color goes with anything. I once saw the nests of sea turtles when I was at a a wedding in FL - it was so awesome to see their tracks coming from the sea and leaving again. I've not had a hamburger in a LONG time! Eat one for me, too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I would, but I can barely get through ONE of Fudruckers' burgers. Bud always finishes mine.

        Delete
    12. Enjoy your weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Ahhh beach glass they call it in Oregon. I found quite a bit on my walks while camping in OR 2 years ago. So very fun and my wonderful friend made 2 necklaces with wire wrap for me. You have lots of fun things on tap and glad you are enjoying your summer!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'd love to have you share a photo or two of your glass jewelry!

        Delete
    14. Love you sister's bird pictures. We went out for Father's Day and waited over an hour. Never again.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks for hosting this summer!!

        Delete
    15. Enjoyed reading your post Anni and your sister's photos are lovely!
      Wishing you a happy day,
      Denise
      An English Girl Rambles

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks Denise, have a good day yourself!

        Delete
    16. Fudruckers? Now that's a new one on me and I'm pretty sure we don't have them on our highstreets (yet), just those Mac places. Enjoy your burger Anni and your Huge Chicken Steak and when you've done keep posting all those miscellaneous but interesting thoughts and ideas. By the way we have loggerheads over here, same species but here it's known as Great Grey Shrike.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not even sure I like the name shrike...it sounds evil in itself. Mac places....no way. All kinds of bad. LOL

        Delete
    17. Beautiful birds, I like how you edit the photo, it feels so soft.

      Wish you a lovely Sunday.

      ReplyDelete
    18. That is a gorgeous little one!
      Looks like it is about to take off on a flight!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...it's busy with some kind of worm or insect.

        Delete
    19. das die Farbe durch die Nahrung auch Vögel verändert ist mir neu..bei Fischen wusste ich es.DANKE und ich schicke die Regenwolken..hier fällt reichlich und wir haben nun genug
      einen LG in den Tag vom katerchen

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks for visiting and taking time to leave a comment.

        Delete
    20. That are two very nice birdshots. Congratulations to your sister.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...thanks, I'll pass it on to my sister, she'll feel good that everyone liked 'em.

        Delete
    21. I have trouble attaching images to emails too! Still can't get it to work. Does you sister use AT&T email by any chance? What do I do?? Help!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...at one time she had disabled her javascript and forgot to enable it again. That was the problem.

        Delete
    22. I came back to answer your question about the dried orange slices. I did these in the oven but you can use a dehydrator or I just found a tutorial for doing them in the microwave. I should have used one of the other methods because I don't think I left these in the oven long enough

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...you can do this in the microwave? Oh, that's for me. I hate using the oven in the summer. LOL

        Delete

    .