“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






A Bird in the hand is worth....


WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY

If you'd like to join Stewart with bird photos, check out my right sidebar for link...

Some of you who have visited my birding photo blog [link also found on right sidebar] have recently read about the hummingbird nest I found while traipsing along a park trail. We spotted the female hummer just beginning to build the nest. And we've returned several times to watch the progress. As we don't want to call attention to her location, we try to be discreet in capturing any photos...without being noticed. If the area is clear of other people, we'll stop and watch ...one morning the nest was without any signs of 'mother' and we were a bit concerned. The wind was blowing a gale, [hence the nest with egg photo isn't all that clear & I was atop the hood of our car to get 'into' the nest] -as the nest swayed, much to my delight...I spied the one egg that remained in the nest!! And on Sunday morning, the latest in our hummer watch, mama hummer was there again. Bud isn't feeling too well today, so maybe tomorrow we'll be able to drive there and check if any baby has hatched.







WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions. If you'd like to join and answer these, hop over to Wednesday Hodgepodge via the link on my right sidebar...



1. Have you learned more from success or failure? Explain. For me, there is no explanation needed...I have learned a LOT more from mistakes I've made through my 6 plus decades, and will continue to do so. And when you get down to the nitty gritty of it all, even with success, there are failures before success is even realized. Right? This question makes me remember a quote on failure and success going hand in hand: "I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison [the invention of the light bulb]

2. What did you call your grandparents when you were growing up? If you have children, what do they call your parents? If you have grandchildren, what do they call you? Actually, when I was still in diapers, I had all four grandparents alive, but by the time I was 5 three had passed away, so I can't recall if I ever called them by any title. My father's father, on the other hand, lived to just shy of 100 years of age...I called him "Gramps" [by the way, he called me 'snicklefritz'--don't ask me what that meant?!!]. My children, all their grands have left them behind, but when they were alive, they called them Grandma and Grandpa. My two grandsons call me Grandma Anni. [Their other grandmother, they call her Grandma Piggy....her name is Peggy and Clint couldn't pronounce Peggy except for saying Piggy, and it stuck!!  I like that name...wish it were mine.]

3. You're invited to a luau. In keeping with that theme, what dish will you bring to share? I can tell you what I wouldn't bring!!! And that is poi!! Nasty, and all kinds of wrong!! I'd probably more or less bring hand made hair adornments for the ladies from our hibiscus blossoms. And maybe the ingredients for the drink: Blue Hawai'i ---rum, pineapple juice, blue Curacao, sweet and sour mix. Å’kålè ma’luna [phonetic pronunciation: Okole maluna] AKA - Cheers!

4. Besides Jesus, what one person's life story do you think everyone should know about? Someone that is a long distant ancestor of their own!!! It's important to know where you came from in your bloodline. And it's surprising how perhaps [more than you know] there is a great person of interest. Doing genealogy, I found that an ancestor of ours signed the Declaration of Independence....not a direct  line, but a cousin of a cousin of a cousin...you know how it goes.  Oh and another [of direct bloodline] was an Indian Scout.

5. "Don't sweat the small stuff." Agree or Disagree? Why? I SO AGREE!! Why? 'Cause I look at it this way: "In a hundred years no one will care or remember".  My first employer told me that once, and I try to live by his words.  It made sense at the time, and it still does.  I preach it in fact.

6. June is National Rivers Month. When were you last on a river? What's the prettiest river you've ever seen? What's a river you'd like to see? It may not be the 'prettiest' but, it's the most impressive!!! And that is the Colorado River that flows through and created the Grand Canyon over eons of passage, flooding, erosion. I will never forget as long as I live the first sighting of the canyon and the river from above, looking down the canyon to the mighty, beautiful terra cotta rock formation and the GREEN river!! I've been ON the Mississippi on a riverboat. And I've been as far as the mouth of the Mississippi. Not much I can say, it wasn't all that fun for me...the smell from the galley on the riverboat nauseated me, and to this day, I can still catch a drifting of the awful odor if I think about it hard and long. LOL But it is something everyone should experience if given a chance...a riverboat. Also, the river that runs through San Antonio Texas...go on the riverwalk!! Especially during the Christmas season...it's BEAUTIFUL at night with all the holiday lights reflecting on the calm waterway. One I'd like to see? I've never given that part of the question much thought. Perhaps go back to my childhood and cross the Blue River ---in my nightmares there is this old, rickety, rusted, trestle, bridge that put the fear of god in me when I was a kid; when the car would go over the old wooden slats, it rattled and shook...I'd like to face that fear now.

7. Speaking of rivers- paddling, fishing, swimming, or bird watching safely from the shore? Which activity would you choose? Yes-you have to choose. This is a definite...you know me....BIRD WATCHING.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Over the weekend, I got this crazy idea for a project. It entailed purchasing 5 new picture frames of collage design. Getting them home I counted the spaces in the frames for photos of mine. I have taken nearly 1500 photos in the last year, and I've saved over 1200 of them on a DVD. All bird photos that were saved. I told Bud recently..."Why have them only on a DVD when I can have them printed for less that $20 to get them framed so we can see them all the time?" He agreed. Thing is, try and pick out 38 [which was the total space in the 5 frames] from over a thousand images? It was a long, drug out task. But we did it. I ordered the images made to photos online, and went and picked them up yesterday, and framed them all! Will hang them on the walls in a bit...


note:  the two river images are courtesy of Google Images

82 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. indeed...and so fun to watch.

      Delete
  2. If that is the Blue River in NE I was over it last weekend but no rickety bridge. There is not much water running in it right now,
    I enjoyed your HP again this week
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! It's the Blue River in Nebraska....near Milford if I remember right. It was frightening...not so the river, but the BRIDGE.

      Delete
  3. Nice catch on the Hummer!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gary, glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  4. Nice photos in your post, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those pics! Have you ever heard anything of San Ygnacio, Texas (south of Laredo) being a birding place? We visited there because there is an 1830's era house fort we wanted to see, and saw several signs proclaiming it as a birding center. It is literally right on the Rio Grande. I didn't know if it was a little town trying to market itself, or is kind of known as a birding place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have Shelly. There are a LOT of birding areas in that area of Texas. And in the Big Bend Country too. I'd like to go there. Soon.

      Delete
  6. These collage photos are such a good idea! I love your last picture!!!! Your shots are really amazing when it comes to birds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I just finished hanging the frames around the house, two in the living room, two in the dining room and one in the kitchen under my Indigo Bunting Painting I finished last month. Not bad. I'm just glad to be able to see some 'fruits of our birding'.

      Delete
  7. Oh how sweet Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...isn't it? I just hope this one survives so I can watch it being mothered.

      Delete
  8. How exciting, hope it will go well with the egg!
    What a cute little nest! We don't have the hummingbirds in Sweden.
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pia...glad you stopped by and enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy you got pictures of that hummer nest - so cool!
    Great idea to print and frame those pictures. You'll have to share a picture of the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share...maybe this Friday if I can get around to making a new blog post. LOL Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  10. It's hard to be discreet when other birders are around. For sure, I'd be watching you like a hawk. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...did you say hawk? I'd be saying "Where"?!! LOL

      Delete
  11. great idea with the photos, better to hang em up rather than forget about them....

    Love the hummingbird on the nest

    Ta for sharing Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by Dave.

      Delete
  12. How wonderful to find a hummingbird nest and to see the bird on its nest. I really like the way you are so careful not to draw attention to this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sadly, my first thought is teenagers. I know I know...that's the wrong impression, but it seems all too often they just don't respect nature and the first chance they'd get....well, you know the rest of the story.

      Delete
  13. Anni, great find! I am glad the hummer returned to the nest. I hope it is a success. Cute shots. I would answer the same on No. 7 ..birding watching from the shore. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you too? Cool. Of course I figured as such. :o)

      Delete
  14. oh how beautiful; I imagine their nest must be quite weeny considering their own diminutive size. Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, they are very small [and hard to find] ---about the size of a half a lime...the opening dimension is about the size of and American Quarter piece.

      Delete
  15. How utterly cool that is! I so respect you not calling attention to the nest and quite franky, it's something I hadn't thought of. I'm always wanting to share what I see, but I see your point and will rethink that next time I'm in that position. Your shots are great despite the wind. Hope Bud feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gail. Ya, tho I respect most birders, it's the "hey did you see this, or that one?" and word of mouth gets around and there are those that like to do harm. So, I keep what I see to myself most often.

      Delete
  16. I like your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Only 1500 photos in a year? I at times take 750 in a day!
    Love the hummer nest, egg and bird sitting. It is such a rare thing to see, well, for me it is since we don't have them in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're so tiny, most times they're there and you just walk by without notice. But this one is 'out in the open' and easy to see if you know where to look.

      Delete
  18. Hmmm, I think that Christmas in San Antonio would be just the thing. Beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I could spend hours on the River during Christmas! It just dazzles the eyes!!

      Delete
  19. Awesome shot of the hummer in her nest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The river that runs through San Antonio! Of course! Why didn't I put that? I was on it New Year's Eve as part of a mini-family reunion. Stunning lights and so calm. Congrats on getting the photos sorted, printed and framed. What a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was most difficult tho, to pick and choose so little out of so many. But, thanks.

      Delete
  21. One day I will get to see these birds for real.

    We call the plant a bottle brush as well - and its actually a native down here, although the one in the picture was in a garden.

    Cheers - and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, Stewart, come on over....I will find some for you. They're everywhere, almost year 'round. Except for the hot months of June July and August.

      Delete
  22. Such a shame Anni that all that energy and commitment has to be ended by bad weather in that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far so good. Just hope that it hatches soon.

      Delete
  23. I love the Edison quote. My answer to #3 was poi, but I haven't a clue what it is! Maybe I'd have to rethink that after reading your answer. ;-) Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's something that just can't be ignored when you're looking at the gray/purple matter that is poi! And it smells/tastes like cold cream. Seriously.

      Delete
  24. What great images and a wonderful opportunity to see these little hummers. Mine have not yet come to the feeders, but soon~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....most of them have left our area [except those that are still nesting] ---so, you'll see 'em real soon I imagine.

      Delete
  25. You and I have picked the same important people for their families to know. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "they" say then, GMTA!! :-)

      Delete
  26. HI... Precious photo's of the Hummingbird the are just precious, but if they get riled up the can be feisty!!
    lets see... Grammie and Grampie...Grammie and Grammpie...Grammie and Grampie haha boring bunch we are : ))
    Grace
    Thanks for your comments on my post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they ARE definitely territorial birds.

      Delete
  27. I LOVE the COlorado river. It's my dream to go white water rafting on it sometime in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no one who wants to do this with me....I'd go at least a short distance...just to say I did it. LOL

      Delete
  28. That Colorado River picture is calling to the geographer in me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it would be a dream for you then...so many things that pertain to geography AND geology.

      Delete
  29. You are amazing! I so enjoyed reading your answers!! Looking forward to seeing your pictures hung!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...why, thank you Linda. Your compliment made my day. I did get them in the frames and hung. But I realized I need to buy one more collage frame. There are some pictures I wanted and failed to remember them. Now I need more. LOL

      Delete
  30. That is a good idea not broadcasting the location of such an accessible nest. The heron nests in our local rookery are mostly well-hidden. When a walker passes by when I am observing or photographing one I causally point my camera or binoculars up and then in the opposite direction as if whatever I was looking at had just flown away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this particular nest is right on the hiking trail. If you don't know where it's at, they you could easily overlook it...being so tiny and vulnerable and all.

      Delete
  31. Amazing! You actually got photos of a hummingbird nesting. I am extremely impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back from checking the nest today, and still she sits...no babies yet. [11:20 a.m.]

      Delete
  32. How wonderful to see a hummer's nest! I do hope you get to see the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so do I. We saw one earlier this Spring, but it was soon abandoned. Maybe, keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  33. Excited for you while waiting for the egg to hatch. Very cool. Nice reading here too. I also love hanging out in the san antonio river walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I see you've shared a wren nest on your patio!! Isn't this fun?!!

      Delete
  34. Drink bringing to Luau sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...right...you can bring the ice then. ;-)

      Delete
  35. You are such a creative lady! Love your photo collage idea!! What a shutterbug you are!

    Had to add that I love the new look of your blog! I haven't visited in a while...so sorry for that. Work constantly keeps me on the go.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today! I always enjoy reading your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  36. Now that was a huge photo printing and framing project, and what a darling bird's nest. I ate poi several times when we lived in Hawaii and never did like it; roast pig at a luau is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes!! Roast pig would be much more tasty.

      Delete
  37. Tiny little birds with tiny little nests. I so hope you get to see the baby.

    In doing my own genealogy I found I was related to a pirate who supposedly was part of Bluebeard's crew. I found it quite by accident reading through an out of date history book I found in a classroom where I was teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a pirate!! How thrilling!

      Delete
  38. Such a sweet little nest. We haven't seen the hummingbirds return here yet. I think they are concerned about our up and down weather : ) I agree-the Colorado is magnificent. So many beautiful rivers all across America. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting Joyce

      Delete
  39. How exciting to get such a great photo of the Hummingbird's nest! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to keep a record of days for this little one. Hoping to see some hummer chicks.

      Delete
  40. Thank you for taking such care in photographing the nest. What a lovely treat and I enjoyed the questions and answers too.. thank you for linking into NN this week...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Anni! LOVED that you framed all your bird photos, and hope you'll be showing that soon! We went shopping recently, and I THINK I saw a CHICKEN just roaming around, towards the woods, just behind the stores! It caught my eye right away, because of its SIZE. Then the shape and what red I thought I saw on the top of its head, both led me to think it was a chicken. While ruffling its feathers a bit, WHAT A WING SPAN this bird had!! Because of the distance, and how fast we were driving by, I could only guess it was a chicken (or hen? don't know the difference)... I just wished I had a great camera at the time. I was very surprised because we just don't see this kind of thing in our neck of the woods. My kids were in the car with me, but I don't think they were half as curious, or amused, as I was!! (0; Oh well.. Nice visiting with you, and have a great day! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  42. awesome shots on the hummingbird. Snicklefritz sounds very familiar to me. I'm sure I heard that when I was growing up

    ReplyDelete

.