my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Nostagia 101...

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
[link to meme is found on my right sidebar]

According to About.com and the Birding emailing that is sent out periodically which I receive, this year in May, it's celebrating the 5th Annual Hummingbird Month! So naturally, since our yard is 'humming' with the little hummers [there are about 15-20 that have taken over the territory this year in our yard - and I have been kept busy keeping our 5 feeders filled; daily!] I thought I'd show you some that have been feeding at and around the nectar stations above our patio--


* * * On my previous post I showed my finished watercolor painting. And I must add that the comments and compliments overwhelmed me of all the positive input!! You bloggers rock. Thank you all!! If you'd like to see a full view of [or missed my post of] "Woodland Reverie" then...
click this thumbnail:




WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
[link to meme is found on my right sidebar]

This week, Joyce has these questions:


1. When the children of today grow up, what do you think they'll say about this period in time? What do you most hope they remember? Wow...right at the get go; a tough question! Let me put it this way: "I just hope they're around in another 20 years." It seems through my eyes that children don't have a chance to actually be children in this day and age. So many have to grow up all too quickly. It's hard to say what any ONE thing they'll remember 'cause all too often they're on their own by the time they've passed grade school [or before in some cases]. And the 2nd part of your questions: What do I hope they remember? - I hope at one time in their youth they are shown the way and who was responsible in this. To remember that and appreciate the guidance that brought them to the point of remembering...a good thing to remember, not some social mishap if you can get my drift.

2. National Teacher's Day is celebrated in the US of A on the first Tuesday in May, this year May 7th...share how a particular teacher positively impacted you. It would be English...grammar, history, and literature!! Several teachers, several subjects. All the way they taught their students and how I interpreted their teachings continue through my years with my strong interest in speaking/writing proper English. And reading plays of English Lit. Not to mention my interest in English History...especially the era of King Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn.

3. What's a dish your mama made, that if set in front of you today would whisk you right back to childhood? Ewwww. Liver and Onions. Now don't get me wrong. I love liver and onions...the way I cook it. But when my mom cooked it...she'd soak the liver in milk then bread it --and fry it with such low heat it would become so tough you couldn't chew it!! Seriously it was like eating the sole of a shoe!! Once I grew up and actually 'taught' her how to cook it with high heat and fast cooking time...tender as a butcher's heart [where did that expression come from you wonder?] ---it's a melt in your mouth entree!!

4. Mother May I was a game we played when I was growing up...no pieces, parts, or plugs required. What games from childhood do you remember loving that were also pieces, parts, and plug-free? Tag, and Hide and Seek come to mind. I especially liked playing hide and seek - just before dark, in the summer with the entire neighborhood kids!!

5. Besides your own mother, tell us about a woman who influenced you as a child?

So many come to mind. Teachers, grandmothers [tho I barely got to know either 'cause they passed away before I was 10], even one lady who owned a candy shop when I was just a young'un. She was such a pleasant lady, and we were friends, I'd spend a lot of time with her in the back room of her shop just talking and being pals [and testing all her home made candies - maple walnut chocolates were my favorite!!]. But the one that influenced me most would be my Aunt Mary [photo shown]. She was such a prude, but very strong in religion, ways of disciplining her own children and me, her cooking, her mannerisms, her joy of family and closeness to her brother [my father] plus her devotion to her husband who was wounded in WWII when his plane was shot down over the English Channel...so many things and actions. And she was a teacher. In fact she taught at a one-room school house on the Nebraska prairies.

6. Mamma Mia! What's the best play or musical you've ever seen? Let me answer with this thought first --I'd LOVE to see Wicked. Now the best play would be an annual favorite, A Christmas Carol. I've seen it nearly every year by amateur actors in local theaters, from just acting on stage to made into musicals. They're always a pleasant outing. The 'pro' off Broadway would have to be Chicago!! I still have the tank top from that evening as a memory of it all.

7. What are three smells that make you feel nostalgic? It would definitely be the turkey roasting for Thanksgiving dinner!! The other two of the three smells could be: Freshly mowed hay [my grandparents had a huge barn and a hay loft]. And there is a certain man I fell in love with [45 years ago this Saturday---] He used to smoke a pipe, and the pipe/tobacco shop he used to purchase his tobacco from was a small town establishment --the tobacco was 'flavored' with vanilla and brandy. So, if I smell pipe tobacco drifting through the air it brings back lots of good memories of my sailor man sitting on the patio at home, enjoying his 'smoke'.

8. Insert your own random thought here. RANT: Is Firefox beginning to annoy anyone but me? I've done a lot of tweaking and uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. In desperation, I almost...and I say almost decided to bite the bullet and adhere to Google's wishes to get everyone in the universe to use Google Chrome. I detest Google about as much as Internet Explorer. Especially this new-fangled job-a-doo of Google Plus!! What a joke that is. More than 90% of the time I click on a blogger's link from my comments it takes me to their Google Plus page. Then, on top of that, if I don't 'sign up' for Google Plus AND be part of their 'circles', most of the blogger's blogs are not listed in their 'contributing to' list. It's a pain...a royal pain. Now this isn't what instigated my growing hate for Firefox tho. When I want to save an image or a file to email to Bud or Irene or Erik, I right clicked on it, and for the last two updates [I'm now on Firefox 20.01] for Firefox the image/file is being saved in a, I'm sorry but I was ticked off, saved in a 'morphodite' file I never even created!!! I went into the Options folder and then General tab so I could get my own preference set up. For the folder I wanted the files or images to be saved in, I clicked the tab "Browse". After that motion...nothing, nada, zilch!!! I couldn't set up my own preference. I'd click on the folder I wanted and within that very folder Firefox would double the folder. In other words say I have a folder named "photos"...clicking on the browse button I would find "photos" and click on it...the options would then change to not just "photos" but it would have my preference to be "C:/User/Photos/photos"!!! I'd go back and try again, and this time when I clicked on "photos" folder, Firefox would change my preference to "C:/User/Photos/Photos/photos"!!! I nearly gave up. Then, it dawned on me to go to Firefox's config option in the address bar. Simple concept...but would it work?! Three hours later, prior to many days trying my darnedest to get the preference to be what I WANTED...I typed in about:config. A whole slew of stuff loads in a page. I scrolled down 'browser.download.dir" and did an 'user set'...changing where files were to be saved each and every time, so I don't have to go searching or opening multiple 'photo' folders. I changed the C:/Users/Photos/Photos/Photos to C:/Users/Photos.

Rebooted the browser, opened a site and right clicked to save a file. It worked.

But oh the frustrations. Why don't they just leave the options that are working properly from one edition to the next? It's beyond me!!

59 comments :

  1. Those little hummers are certainly making their appearances around here this week!

    I would have loved to have met your Aunt Mary and especially listened to her stories of teaching in a one roomed schoolhouse. That would have put me in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, she had some great stories to tell about her teaching long ago!

      Delete
  2. My hummers are usually here by now, but I haven't seen a one. I'm getting worried that they didn't make it back north. They're so small and fragile; it's a wonder any of them do.

    Your writings took me back to my own childhood memories. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're stronger than you think!

      Delete
  3. I love your hummingbird shots!
    I'm so with you on Google plus. I've been thinking about putting a rant on my blog because I've had several people comment and I can't visit them because I'm not in their circle. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's truly something that I just can't understand why Blogger/Google does this. It won't generate any more people...it'll just drive them away.

      Delete
  4. You have reminded me to get my feeders out - even though I probably won't see hummers for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the numbers are dwindling here, so they're on their way to you in the big sky country.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Anni - I'd love to see those hummers flitting around. We just came back to Breckenridge after a week's travel, and it snowed last night! I love the smell of turkey roasting, too, and still remember playing hide and seek at dusk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, that was the best time to play hide and seek, when the lighting wasn't all the best.

      Delete
  6. My favorite game without toys was ghosts and explorers...kinda' like hide and seek with an added horror bit to it....because you were being chased by a GHOST. lol

    I hate Google+ also. Wouldn't use it if they would let me blog because I wouldn't use it...would just quit blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh man...your link now tells me that your blog has been removed? I can't find you.

      Delete
  7. A great post for WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, y'know, I really liked your black and white ibis too this week.

      Delete
  9. I want to see "Wicked" too!! And the Google Plus, it infuriates me!! I do not understand it. AND every time I have a new follower, their link takes me to Google Plus, NOT their blog, which I can then never find. The hummers are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome hummingbirds! i've only seen 2 so far here this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll get some more in a few weeks. Maybe? Maybe not.

      Delete
  11. Anni, I just love the cute hummers. I usually only see two at the beginning of the season. My couple, not sure where there nest is but it must be close. I enjoyed this post. I have to agree about google plus, it is a pain. Have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping tabs on a nest too...but, it's in a local park. So it isn't a daily 'check'.

      Delete
  12. your painting is gorgeous. Loved it. So are the other hummers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'm happy to know you liked my watercolor!

      Delete
  13. I think wow to having hummers in your backyard like you do. All that topping up feeders has to be worth every moment Anni; lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...each and every morning 8 cups of sugar water. And they flock to them as soon as I disappear with the ladder. LOL

      Delete
  14. I never had much luck attracting hummingbirds to my yard.
    I had to give up firefox because it was giving me big headaches. I don't remember what all it was doing but it made me say bad words so it had to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...bad words are not good! LOL

      Delete
  15. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to read this Denise.

      Delete
  16. I love hummers! Just north of here, several people posted interesting shots of hummingbirds in the snow last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...poor things. I bet they were wishin' they hadn't left the southern warmth so soon.

      Delete
  17. Oh Anni, they are darling! You got great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,thanks Karen, I'm glad you enjoyed the hummers!

      Delete
  18. Great hummers - I did like the 'rant' about Google+ - as you can imagine WBW generates a bit of mail for me, and Google+ pages must be the most difficult to navigate!!

    After hanging pictures for a few hours I may need to move towards being a little red eyed, if you know what I mean!!

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, those red eyes...I know just what you mean. ;o)

      Delete
  19. Actually gagging reading your answer to number 3! Your Aunt Mary sounds like a firecracker - I guess you'd have to be teaching in a one roomed schoolhouse.

    Your answer to question 1 makes me think though - we say kids aren't getting their childhood, but is that really true? Kids who are high school aged, with so much freedom and no responsbility are the same age as the boys who were fighting in wars decades ago. It used to be that kids started working as soon as they reached double figure of ages (or even younger). And I guess in some parts of the world that's still true. At 18, my Mum was working full-time. At 18, I was at university enjoying studying, having fun and lots of new experiences. Childhood seems to be getting longer to me... is it more that we don't like what childhood looks like with the music, fashion and toys they have now when they are kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you brought forth a few good points, but my inspiration was that so many toddlers are doing way too much 'older kids' things and not actually playing just to be playing.

      Delete
    2. :( that's kinda sad. I've not really seen much of that here. But the music videos and some of the clothes in 'kids' shops definitely concerns me.

      Delete
  20. So many hummers! Ours are sporadic visitors of late. We had two a coup,e of weeks ago, but I haven't seen them since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the year before we had about 20 or so, last year only two. So, I'm thinking it just depends on air currents and weather maybe. Who really knows.

      Delete
  21. Love the hummers!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Liver and onions is one of the few foods I detest. Now I haven't tried it since I was a kid, but just typing the words brings the smell of it cooking into my brain and ewww...I don't think its something I can try now that I'm an adult either. That smell is ingrained in my head : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to loathe the idea of dinner time when mom would have this to cook!!!

      Delete
  23. I hope you get to see Wicked because it was fabulous! Eww..liver and onions. I used to like it but got sick once after eating (nothing to do with the liver) and I have never been able to eat it since. Wouldn't even if I liked it since I'm a vegetarian! I agree with your comments on Google +. I find it difficult to work with. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you've seen Wicked? Color me green with envy.

      Delete
  24. That last shot of the iridescent hummer is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your hummingbird photos, Anni! They are gorgeous! My mom adored hummingbirds and even had a hummingbird collection of plates and figurines, which I now own. I have never had liver...and never will! BLECH! I'm one of those bloggers who switched to Google Chrome. Sometimes, it works...other times, not so much. Just wish Blogger would leave well enough alone, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...My mom collected salt/pepper shakers. Our daughter wanted them when mom passed away. I kept only one set, she got the rest. I'm glad you added a bit of input on Chrome, 'cause I've been tempted. Now I'm glad I have refrained from just adding a bit more clutter on the computer with another browser. Thanks April.

      Delete
  26. I love the photos of the Humming birds, I wish I could get them in my yard.
    I enjoyed your hodgepodge as always....
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your hummingbird pictures! My Grandma used to feed the hummingbirds and they always remind me of her.

    Still taking a pass on the liver, but we do agree on two theater things; I want to see Wicked too and every time I've ss3n a production of A Christmas Carol I've enjoyed it.

    Firefox is making me crazy from time to time. I use and prefer Chrome, but I need 2 browsers (because I'm lazy) because I have a couple of accounts on the same network that I can use without signing out if I have 2 browsers. I hate Google+! It was the inability to organize photos on G+ without deleting all of the photos from your blog (found that out the hard way) that made me decide to never try to use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the hummingbirds. Hubby got pictures of a downy woodpecker and a kingfisher while we were out walking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hide and seek-I play with grandson-such a fun game. Totally agree with your answer to #1 --so true!
    Aunt Mary stories-I could listen to forever.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anni those little jewels deserve a month in their honor. Your pictures are beautiful!!!
    Do you take them from inside or are you able to sneak outside?
    hugs madi and mom and nose taps to Tahoe and Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have little jewels flying around, Anni! And you should be so proud of your painting. So satisfying to have these creative pursuits.

    Most influential teacher? English and sophomore Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really enjoyed my visit to your blog Annie! I love hummingbirds and I'm excited that I will get to see them here in Colorado as I never saw any in NY. I enjoyed your Q&A! I agree that Google Plus is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful hummers! We've tried to attract them here but have had no success. I think we need to move.

    ReplyDelete

.