my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Fair Warning: Scary creature coming up!!---

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
join in if you have any bird photos...link on my right sidebar



I captured these two photos on the same day, but two different parks in town. The coots, at Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge, were oblivious to the huge snake [it measured approximately 6 feet!]...and the snake wasn't a bit interested in the birds either. I have other photos of the snake alone, but I'll post them on Saturday for Camera Critters...just to show how 'fat' he was ---I think it just ate. LOL The photo of the Yellowthroat Warbler was taken at Blucher Park...it was so busy flitting from one tree branch to another, sometimes to a completely different tree, it was difficult to get it centered in the camera lens!!!
PS: non-venomous



- - -* * *- - -



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week...join by clicking on link found on my right sidebar


1. May is National Blood Pressure Month...what sends yours soaring, either literally or figuratively? What calms you down? When did you last have your bp checked? Well, I control my blood pressure with medications prescribed by my heart doctor. And I very often check my blood pressure at home since I have a bp monitor!!!  What makes my bp soar?  Too many things to mention  here...top of the list would be the state of the union probably.  What calms me?  My purring kitties!!

2. You just found $1-what do you spend it on? How about 10$ 100? HA?!! A dollar? You can't even buy a pack of gum for a buck these days, can you? If I were to find a hundred dollar bill, I'd probably go out ot eat. In these days and times, I really can't get too excited over that...$100.00 doesn't buy much.

3. Mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food has been proposed, but not enacted in the US. How much attention do you give food labels before you buy? Are you in favor of labeling if it means an increase in food prices? Is this an issue you've been following and feel strongly about, or is this the first you've heard of the controversy? I do pay attention to labels - or let me rephrase that....I used to pay attention. I've read just about all labels on the food products I purchase because of the sodium content mostly. Heart again. I don't like anything artificial in my foods if I can help it. The labeling that catches my eye most often is the 'heart health' labels on front, then I read the back. But for the fact I say I USED to read labels; now-a-days I tend to repeat buying what I know I've read about. The whole thing boils down to moderation...even moderation!!

4. May 15th marks the birthdate of Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz. At this point in time, are you more in need of brains, courage, heart, or a trip back home? Explain. Well, the saying goes "You can never go home again". And I find that true. At least from my childhood home; like Dorothy!! Home is never what you expect, nor is it the same. So, forget that. I guess I'd need brains. Or at least a bit of straw in my hat to make it fit better?!?

5. "There's no place like home" is an oft repeated line from Baum's book. When was the last time you felt the truth of that statement? Let me put it this way, traveling is not my cup of tea. I AM a homebody!!! I like home...my home today, not to confuse it with the home I've mentioned 'back home' in question #4. The comfort, the privacy, the familiar surroundings, my own bed/pillow, my pets...etc. etc. etc.

6. Steak...yes please or no thank you? What cut do you prefer and how do you like yours cooked? Sauce or no sauce? Besides your own kitchen, where's a place you like to go to get a great steak? Cooking steak at home? Nah!!! At least NOT in the KITCHEN! On the grill outdoors, okay. But still there is a 'clean up chore'...neither of us like that much. LOL I'd much prefer to go out for a steak. If I don't like it, the way it's cooked, I can have them take it back and get me another. No mess, no clean up, no costly steak and then having to cook it at home. Why? Steaks at the butcher/grocery costs about $12....at the restaurant, cooked like I like it, plus three side dishes...all for the same or a couple dollars more? It makes sense to go out to eat. And I LOVE Texas Roadhouse "Great Country Atmosphere, Country Western Music, Sports Bar/TV...able to hand pick your steak before cooking. Service is darned good!"



Steak Cut: Sirloin [6 oz is plenty!]
Cooked: Medium [hot pink]
Sauce: NO!!!
Sides: Caesar Salad, Baked Sweet Potato, Green Beans






7. When was the last time you were in a genuine hurry? I don't rush on any account, mostly. The only thing I can think of is, traveling....hitting a rest stop along the highway...making it to the ladies' room in time.

8. Insert your own random thought here. The last two outings for birding to catch the remaining few of the migrant birds we were drenched in rain!! Gotta Love It!! Bring on the Spring Rains!! Not complaining one iota. The wet clothes was nothing. I didn't mind it at all...it was just protecting the camera from the rain at both of our outings!!

64 comments :

  1. Snakes freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to the snake shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh it was a doozie [in size and creepiness]

      Delete
  3. Nice post for the bird themes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Hans.

      Delete
  4. Great pictures!
    We love Texas Roadhouse and just ate there last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...aren't their steaks yummy...melt in your mouth delicious?!!!

      Delete
  5. Funny how the birds and snake don't seem to even notice one another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they were a surprise to me to 'co-exist' like this.

      Delete
  6. Great photos and its very surprising to see those Coots resting so close to the big snake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was for me to see this, a surprise indeed.

      Delete
  7. Interesting post, Anni. Love the coots and the Warbler. Have a great evening and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen, and enjoy your days left in the week too.

      Delete
  8. That is one big snake. Funny that it wasn't interested in the birds. Maybe they are too big? Or he was just full, as you said. I laughed (sort of) at your description of what a $1 to $100 dollar bill buys. You are so right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, you just can't buy much with a measley $100

      Delete
  9. Water snakes- eeeekkkkkk!!!! My skin is crawling! (no pun intended). Those birds are much braver than I am!

    And oh these rains and the cooler weather have been glorious, but I'm listening to Dale Nelson now tell us they are going away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as of this a.m. -Wednesday- it's thundering and misting. As for Dale Nelson!---if only I could say what I think of that man, but this is a public commenting system. LOL

      Delete
  10. If the world could just co-exist like snakes and birds, what a happy place!!

    I am back to reading again, Anni since the A-Z Challenge is over! I've missed coming here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...co-existence, nature has a way of showing us the right way, doesn't it?

      Delete
  11. Both birds I have not seen before. The warbler is beautiful!!! I have high blood pressure too, had it as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I probably did too, but didn't realize it. Doctors back then never told us anything. LOL

      Delete
  12. Steak on the BBQ - red wine, and a chill autumn evening (or spring!) - wonderful!

    That snake shot is great!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting WBW Stewart.

      Delete
  13. Well I woke up fast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am surprised that the coots were not phased by the snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too, until I read online what the snakes' diet is.

      Delete
  15. # 7 made me laugh. I've been in that kind of a hurry before! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl...we all have. That's when you wish you'd bought some Depends. LOL

      Delete
  16. We have a mama robin sitting on her carefully constructed nest just outside my living room window. It's a little high for me to photograph without standing on a chair and doing the equivalent of gymnastics, but I really hope to see some little baby birds one day soon. It has been fun to watch all the activity. I'm going to some botanical gardens today and hoping the rain stays away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take the rain from you...we need it desperately. As for the robins, how cool is that?!!!

      Delete
  17. #7 LOL!

    That snake makes my skin crawl. I could not have stayed there long enough to take a picture! Kudos to your bravery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh trust me, it was a LONG way off, I used a zoom lens. And there is a 'moat' of water between me and the snake. AND I was above ground on a boardwalk.

      Delete
  18. I was very interested in looking at the coots till I saw that crawly thing and I left.
    I laughed at your $1-$100 comment and it is sure true.
    It hit 102* here Tuesday I wanted warmth but lets just say to much to soon. Glad to hear you are getting some moisture.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG....102 degrees? In May?!!! Oh lordy, that is way too hot. I hope it cools down for you...and soon!!!

      Delete
  19. Sad that even $100 doesn't sound like much these days, huh? Amazing that the snake and the birds were oblivious to each other! Good thing for the birds. Great photo. Stopping by from hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I really enjoyed reading YOUR answers just now!!

      Delete
  20. i'd much rather have those diamondback water snakes than water moccasins or copperheads. we get all 3 here.

    yes, our pond is in okay shape this year, but dropping again quickly. wish we'd get more rain before the heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwwww...I haven't seen any copperheads or water moccasins...yet! If I do, you'll hear me scream from down here up there!!

      Ya, I'm hoping this will be a more 'normal' year for precipitation in Texas too.

      Delete
  21. Very interesting co-existence ... snake and Coots. Super shots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. that was rather surprising seeing the snake in the picture with those birds

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your answer to number 4 made me giggle! Great hodgepodge answers

    And on the soup - no I don't believe it really did make your eyes bluer, one of those lies your parents tell you to eat something 'healthy' - but one time I ate 2 bowls and I swear if I didn't know better my eyes had an extra bit of sparkle in them. From my grandparents reaction when I ran around after eating my soup they were practically blinding people with their blueness!! ;)

    -LA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed your read this week Sophie.

      Delete
  24. Maybe the snake is fat because it just ate an leaving the birds alone because it was full?

    Rain can make for great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as close to understanding what I've read about these snakes, they don't eat birds. So, they were safe, and they knew it.

      Delete
  25. Snakes have made me shiver ever since I was about four or five years old when one was crawling up the outside of the window where I was playing with my toy cash register and then later two were curled on our front porch. I cringed about them all my life. :)
    Kinda glad the snake had eaten and the ducks were off its radar.
    A great capture Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't like snakes either!!! I've often said I would move to Ireland [where it's reported that NO snakes are on the island] in a heart beat.

      Delete
  26. Hi Anni!! I had to agree with you for question #2. One hundred dollars would probably hardly last me less than a couple hours, soon as I stepped into any local art and craft supply shop!! Loved your photos of the birds... But I must confess, NOT the snake!! YIKES! Nice stopping by to see you again, via Wednesday Hodgepodge! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Tina}}}!! It was super to see you paying me a visit. Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  27. Very nice drawings by you! You're so clever!
    Your coots looks almost the same as ours here in Sweden!
    Not so fond of the snake though1 :)
    Thanks for your comment!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to see you here visiting Pia.

      Delete
  28. Anni,

    Lovely photos, as always. You are a woman of many talents. I hope you and Bud are doing well.

    I have another project finished as well. If you have a moment, please stop by my Writing Nook. I miss chatting with you.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just now finding a bit of time spent online today...I'm on my way.

      Delete
  29. I can't wait for more pics of the snake!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
    Oh how I love reading your writes and seeing the photos of your explores. Snake looks scary, but love the birds. I could sit and watch birds all day and never tire. Their songs alone are the best symphony ever.

    I too have hurried to a few of those rest stop bathrooms, only to get inside and dance awhile, there is usually a line. Yep, been there done that too.

    They just opened a Texas Roadhouse by house and I have been dying to try it out. Now I can't wait, we may have to make it our Friday date tonight. Sounds and looks yummy.

    I had lost my mojo for blogging after Raja died, but I am back and will be visiting daily once again. Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Sherry}}} It's good to see you back blogging!!

      Delete
  31. Great note. I wondered :)
      Yours.

    + Please visit our blogs. :)

    "Everyone needs to dissolve the mean time, not only in words."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by Patrycja.

      Delete

.