my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Thoreau, I'm not...neither is this WALDEN Pond

Northwest of Corpus Christi via Interstate 37 [heading toward San Antonio], there is a birding trail that is quite, more or less, unknown to many. But the area does have a section in the book, Birding Corpus Christi. It is very often overgrown, weedy, and traversing the trail can be a challenge at times during the year. Overgrown grasses, divots in the path and fallen tree limbs sometimes block the way, and or creates a goodly chance of sprained ankles or deep scratches on the legs. If you go there, it's best to go on the west trail. There are two trails that follow a drainage ditch that is nestled between the trails. The Eastern trail is rarely cleaned out of bush, brush, trees and grasses. For the most part, the western trail is best. But again, it depends on how the upkeep is. Now and then, it's considered [at least by me] a hazard. This Spring it's been cleaned out fairly well by a group of volunteers....the path is quite passable all the way to the Nueces [pronounced new AY seas - meaning nuts] River which drains into North Corpus Christi Bay [and the Port Ship Channel]. The ponds:  there are three good sized pools which are actually  sediment from the City's raw drinking water. In other words, what is left from filtering the water at the treatment center, O. N. Steven Center, the sludge is deposited into a drying bed and further down the line they've been created from runoff. Just off Interstate 37 North, at the Sharbsburg Road exit [or any that follow the Up River Road exits if you're familiar to the area], there are parking facilities on both trailheads. They're gated, so parking and then walking is necessary. As you walk the trail/trails, you're surrounded by thick woods...lined with Willow and Mulberry trees for the most part. Vines clinging to the tree bark and overhanging in some parts on the drainage ditch makes for pretty country-quiet scenery. Birds can be soaring high above through the tree canopy, and heard singing nearby, and at a distance. At one point about half way to the riverbank, there is a wooden bridge that crosses the  canal from both trails. There are benches scattered here and there for the avid birders who like to make record of the bird varieties...also, a bird blind is constructed near the bridge that overlooks a swampy area. In my opinion it is in dire need or some repair work and the inside looks like a snake haven. Not for me, thank you very much. With common sense and keeping an eye on where you step, it's worth while to visit. But reminding you there are hazards such as poisonous snakes, loads of fire ants [don't stop too long in one spot!!], mosquitoes in the summer, and the trail is uneven and treacherous to the ankles in certain areas. The last time we were there recently, I was reminded of Louisiana Swamps...and I was thinking to myself, if only we here in Corpus Christi were lucky enough to have CYPRESS trees to go along with the ponds!! In my opinion, it would be an extra added piece of beauty!! The day we were there,  the birds were very few. Most of the common birds showed up in our viewfinder. Egrets, Northern Shovelers, one Great Kiskadee, a few Northern Cardinals, a couple of Lesser Scaups. Thank my lucky stars I saw no snakes in along the path. If I did, I probably would still be running for my life and not posting this post, I hate snakes that much!!  [I keep warning Bud if there is a snake present in our yard, the house goes on the market.  *snort]  Once we made our way further back beyond the ponds, we came upon the river; along the bank near our side of the shore, a couple of Brown Pelicans were lounging and resting on some low lying tree limbs. As we headed  in reverse direction,  back to the parking area, I stopped to photograph this particular tree of which we saw several along the path, all were in full bloom. I do not have any inkling as to the type of tree this is, but it perfumed the air slightly and made for a pretty photo op. If anyone knows what kind of tree this is, I'd be more than pleased for your expertise!



The area? By now if you've read the photo entitlements, it's called Pollywog Ponds.  After leaving this area, we drove to another hiking trail...Hilltop Community.  Heard a lot of birds, saw a few Mockingbirds, and one lone blue gray gnatcatcher.  By this time it was getting nigh-on to hot...so we buckled up and drove home for a cool one and stretching out; relaxing for the rest of the day.

32 comments :

  1. I know that trail out near Calallen way of which you speak! So glad you didn't see any snakes (I hate them, too). You got some great pics again. I've seen those flowering trees, but I don't know what they're called. I hope someone does and chimes in here~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the name of the tree will continue to be identified, no one in the comments knew. Yep, it's close to Calallen.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great hike. I love the photos that you took as always. I am with you on the snake thing, even though I am old and bad knees I bet I would have beat you to the house. lol
    We are having a warm up here finally for a couple of days and I love it.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally!! Spring in good ol' Nebraska then? 'Bout time.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, thanks for your kind comments. Clouds to disappear is what you want, clouds to come by faster is what we want, because we are at the middle of searing heat at 37C with high humidity and still soaring. By the way, i love your title as HDT is a favorite and when i was younger i always dream of going to Boston just to see Walden Pond, haha! I guess you have your own Walden Pond too. And sorry I don't know that flowering tree, we also don't have it growing here in the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the heat much, it's heat and humidity mixed that'll nearly drop ya in your tracks!!

      Delete
  4. it looks like a fascinating walk! Interesting that those trails are undermanaged - our local council hasjust overenthusiastically cut back all the vegetation round a lot of our footpaths and trails, I know everything will grow back but still.... There needs to be a balance! Paths need to be safe for walkers without management damaging the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mighty pretty in the Spring and then again Autumn.

      Delete
  6. You are braver than me, the snakes and fire ants would really have scare me off. Oh my gosh!!!!! Your header and wallpaper, they match, and are divine. I think my heart must have stopped a beat when I opened up your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I'm glad to know you noticed the 'new look' and liked it!

      Delete
  7. Anni we think you are a great writer and your photos could be in National Geographic...
    Happy Friday
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks you two, and hugs right back atcha!

      Delete
  8. You write a great review of this walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to know you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  9. I have no idea what kind of tree this is. But I can hear the birds sing and there comes a wonderful perfumed breeze out of my laptop.... thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well now, if you put it that way, I too can hear and smell the day. Thanks Pia

      Delete
  10. It sounds like my kind of place. I bet there are some geocaches there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aha....you're into geocaching are you?

      Delete
  11. eine wunderschöne Gegend ..so besonders für mich von der Vegitaton und den Bewohnern
    einen LG vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by to visit!

      Delete
  12. Lovely place to stop and rest -- the little pink blooms are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they were pretty and quite delicate looking. The perfumed air around the trees was soft and not so overpowering.

      Delete
  13. Popping in to say hi ~ hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi. I'm glad you stopped by to say hello.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful place. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is pretty. Not so overly developed in the surrounding areas either which makes it even better.

      Delete
  15. I read all the comments to see if anyone could identify your pretty pinky-purply blossoms. Of course, I can't, either, living up here where we had hail yesterday and a bit of snow today. Too much for my liking, anyway.
    The ponds created from sludge taken out of the drinking water doesn't sound very appetizing to me but I'm sure there are plenty of wild things who don't mind, and it makes for a pretty area, with three ponds like that. "Pollywog Ponds" is cute, too. Does that mean there are amphibians breeding there, or did the name arise simply because it sounds cute?
    Enjoyed this post, Anni. I still miss your Thursdays, but I'm posting the odd bit of music on Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, or at least I intend to.
    Hope you and Bud are both well.
    Hugs, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a great surprise and pleasant visit with you Kaye!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a delightful place to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's great - especially when there are no other souls nearby and the place is all quiet.

      Delete

.