“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






"just a rat: with a cuter outfit...."

Thursday, on Bud's Birthday, we went out to lunch of his choice...on the North Shore of the Corpus Christi Bay, at Blackbeard's. It's really more or less a little out of the place shanty town restaurant, but oh the food. It's very good. Bud had a favorite of his at this establishment...a guacamole burger. I, on the other hand, had my usual 'birthday' lunch item. Fried Shrimp. Luckily there are only two of us at home any more, so I'm not splurging on fried foods all that often. And their butterflied shrimp is extraordinarily sweet and tender. Yum. Anyway, after we ate our lunch, and everyone there that works, wished him a happy birthday, we drove back into town over the harbor bridge and stopped at Blucher Park to see if we could catch some bird activity. Along about 5 minutes after arriving, we were interrupted by a phone call from Erik. I talked with him a few minutes while looking up into the trees for birds as the wind howled through the branches and bird songs echoed. I handed over the phone to Bud, Erik was anxious to talk to him and wish him a happy birthday. All well and good. I then had free hands to make use of the camera and binoculars to hunt down the elusive feathered friends of the park. Really tho, nothing out of the ordinary...same ol' birds that I have tons of photos of already. As we meandered through the park, heavy blackened clouds came in from the northwest. Winds really kicked up, coming from a storm front headed our way. I was sure we'd get some heavy rain from it, and we headed back out from the park and low-lying trees to the safety of our car parked in a parking lot a block away from the park. As I climbed the incline to get out of the park, I spotted some movement in a lone tree at the top of the hill's exit area. A woodpecker perhaps? It was circling around the trunk of a tree branch as a woodpecker often does. Nope, no woodpecker. It was a couple of juvenile squirrels! So cute, so playful, and so fun to watch...




...as I reached the parked car finally, Bud was still chattin' away with Erik [it was raining heavily in Houston]. By the time we got back on the freeway heading towards home, the dark, ominous clouds were thinning out. Nothing in terms of heavy moisture for us. Just a light mist! Bummer.

Oh, and I thought I'd add this little ditty 'bout what you read on the back of Blackbeard's Menu. The Ghost of Blackbeard?!! Perhaps. And fyi...nearby, on the bay shoreline, the WWII aircraft carrier is permanently docked. The USS Lexington. It is reported that the ship is also haunted. Nicknamed the Blue Ghost. But I digress. Here is what is on the back of the menu:


you can enlarge it if need be

16 comments :

  1. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The squirrels at play are so cute! Glad you and Bud had a good day. The guacamole burger sounds wonderful as did the fried shrimp. Yesterday I had crab and Brie soup and it was divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those squirrels are cute and they are so fun to watch.
    Interesting history about Blackbeard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute shots of your tree rats! Happy weekend to you, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday to Bud. It sounds like it was a good day, and those squirrels are definitely having fun. I really like your pictures, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good story, I had no idea there were legal pirates! I would love to eat there!!! And maybe I could even spot a few ghosts lingering around. The kid squirrels are cute! We had a tornado watch yesterday, but fortunately all we got was a heavy downpour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your squirrel pictures! The back of the menu is an interesting read. Glad Bud had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those squirrels are so much fun to watch, especially the little ones like you've captured here. Blackbeard's sounds great for food, and a little eerie. Wait, I think we have eaten there a while back, and I do remember it being good.

    Glad you got to have a terrific celebration together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post!
    Happy birthday to Bud!
    Cute squirrels!
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those frisky babies are fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh they are just darling little critters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those baby squirrels are so cute, you got some great shots of them Anni. The shrimp sounds delicious and now I want some.
    A belated Happy Birthday to Bud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What adorable squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading about your lunch out and Bud ordering his usual for that place, I'm much the same and have a favorite at most of the restaurants we frequent, never trying anything else...
    Happy Birthday to your pirate.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  15. The squirrels are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We should more often have a day off to just enjoy good food and stalk the birds. Or some super cute squirrels :-)
    I like them much!

    ReplyDelete

.