“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human...

camera critter below


I've been having problems with my smartphone and the email applications this past week, and with all the photos I've taken of the museum in Port A. So that post I had planned on creating is 'on hold'. I have a partial draft saved, with a few of the pictures I took there when we visited, but then the rest of the images are not being sent...only showing that they are 'sending' in the outbox folder on the phone. I am working on getting it so it will get out of the outbox on the phone and into my inbox. So far, nada, zilch, nuttin'!!!

It's been a very busy week. Not much blogging got accomplished tho. To my dismay. It's so frustrating when you have something in mind and then technology says "Back up"...."I'm not gonna work properly for you for a while"!!! Okay, so since I couldn't get the museum post done because of the glitch in the phone's software, I finished my craft project. It was like putting a puzzle together with all the pieces parts!!! And quite a challenge with getting it all put together to look half way decent. A few of you guessed what it was going to be just by looking at this 'pile of cans' from a previous post!!

Without further ado, here it is:
"If I only had a heart"------



I found this character through Pinterest a while ago, and since I LOVE movies, and of course the classic Wizard of Oz is a family favorite, I wanted to attempt making one. So, following the lead on "Pin", I went out to Google to get directions and a list of items needed. Tho, what I found was quite vague. Not only items needed, but the recipe was lacking a lot of detail. So, it was hit and miss for some. And, added to the fact, I wanted my tin man to look more like the one in the movie. The photos on Flickr, Pinterest, and people's web pages had no neck collar, and the tin man in the movie has a collar and bow tie. The noses from others were not right either. By just using my imagination, I think I finished with a more likeness than others. Like I said, it was a challenge getting it all put together. It looks simple enough, but it really wasn't. I refrained from making hands because the directions on other sites told me to 'cut' cans and mold the hands. I did NOT want any sharp objects on mine. If you've ever been cut by sharp edges of cut tin cans, you'd understand. If I ever come up with any concept for hands without sharp edged cut can pieces, I can always add them later. Here are the items I used:

1 large coffee can
1 medium fruit/vegetable can
8 regular soup cans
1 tuna can
1 small pet food can
2 sardine cans
3 plastic funnels [large, medium and small] --which I purchased at Dollar Tree
Heavy duty wire
small heart
two medium blue crafting eyes [doll department at Hobby Lobby]
7 paper brads
2 flip top lids [just the flip top]
Super Glue [I used Gorilla™ brand]
Aluminum spray paint [that will work on plastic also!]
one small metal washer



By using imagination and playing around with it 'til I pictured how I wanted it to look...I then began putting it together with wire and glue. With the medium funnel, I inverted it for the cap/hat. The medium fruit can was for the head, the pet food can is for the neck. The large funnel is trimmed open for the 'collar' effect and attached to the tuna can as part of the lower collar. I twisted wire and attached the 'bow tie' to the tuna can. I also used the small funnel by cutting the outlet tube of the funnel and cut it for the nose....poking a hole large enough in the fruit can to insert the 'nose' - gluing on the small metal washer at the tip of the nose. The large coffee can [with plastic lid saved] is the body. Attaching to the body the 7 paper brads for buttons. [the seam of the coffee can is also the shirt's seam for the buttons/shirt 'opening'] The eight regular soup cans are used for arms/legs. The sardine cans are boots/feet. I wired and glued them together. With a large hole in the bottom of the coffee can, I inserted the head/collar and neck. Attaching the arms and legs...then the feet. After glue is dried, and the tin man is assembled, I spray painted the entire body! Once everything was dried [overnight] I attached a metallic heart, eyes, flip tops were used for ears...attaching them with glue ---spray painted with the aluminum paint. It's really a hit and miss composition...I can understand just why the directions I found here and there are so lacking is precise directions...it's not easy, and personal preferences are always a part of the project.
    When a man's an empty kettle he should be on his mettle, And yet I'm torn apart. Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human, If I only had heart. I'd be tender - I'd be gentle and awful sentimental Regarding Love and Art. I'd be friends with the sparrows ... and the boys who shoots the arrows. If I only had a heart. Picture me - a balcony. Above a voice sings low. Wherefore art thou, Romeo? I hear a beat.... How sweet. Just to register emotion, jealousy - devotion, And really feel the part. I could stay young and chipper and I'd lock it with a zipper, If I only had a heart.

<><><><>---*---<><><>

I spied a turtle in a tree
It was still; unmoving as can be!
Mr. Turtle, he didn't see
As I sneaked up, now we...
You can see he, just like me!!




---Bud and I have more 'busy plans' today. We'll be gone for most of the day. The area's botanical gardens is having a plant sale and dollar day today. We want to be one of the first ones there to get 'the good choices' maybe if I find anything. Also, while there, we'll take the trails in and around the property to see if we can find any birds of interest. I'm sure the pond there, gator lake, is all dried up tho, so perhaps the birding trek will be down to the Oso Creek instead.

60 comments :

  1. Blogger just ate my comment, so I will try again. Your tin man is adorable, and I'm sure your neighbors and others are going to get lots of enjoyment out of him.

    Call me ignorant, but I NEVER knew turtles could climb trees! I will be looking very carefully now when I walk under any tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think they can actually climb a whole tree...from the trunk anyhow...it's just the low lying branches that hang low to the ground/water.

      Delete
  2. WOW...Your tin man is adorable and fantastic. This would be something that my son would love to make. Thanks for sharing your direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I can tell you is 'go with gut instinct' in putting it all together. Good luck.

      Delete
  3. Love the tin man and since Louis Dean likes to reuse nearly everything - this could be a good project for him!!

    I am planning on getting a smarter phone than the ancient flip phone I have now - as a birthday present to myself when I turn 65 in Sept. Actually, I'm going to get it in August so that by my birthday I MAY know how to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...these new 'techie' things can be a pain in the patootie sometimes, but oh, to not have one is just not gonna happen these days. 65 huh? I'm right behind you!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh, count me in!!! I love your Tin Man, too! How clever!! And your shot of the turtle is delightful, Anni!! Hope your weekend is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd only known Sylvia....the gardens here just put out the plumeria trees....I love 'em so.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, this is AMAZING!!! You are a craft genius, he is adorable. I would love one, but reading the directions, I think it was much harder than it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I have pinterest to thank for the idea. Not a genius tho, by a long shot.

      Delete
  6. Everything about him is perfect, you could sell him for BIG bucks! Actually you could make them and have a business!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me 10 days to put it all together, not a profitable business. Too many hours involved.

      Delete
  7. Your smiling tin man is brilliant! He is so adorable! How clever are you! Love reading about all your projects and your wanderings! And I too have never known a turtle to be in a tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I always love and very much appreciate your always positive feedback, Gemma.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a turtle on a tree branch - great spotting.
    The tin man is sooo cool! You did a super job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari. I too have never seen a turtle in a tree.

      Delete
  9. Yes, beautiful photos. I like this metal man with heart, a lovely face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo, Annie - that's one special tin man. A great result from your perseverance, patience and persistence! He's a winner for sure. Thanks for stopping by my blog - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a cutie. love it. sweet!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni that is absolutely the best Tin Man I've seen!!! I don't think there is anything you cannot do! I bet you'll get lots of compliments on it.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute DIY project!! Hope you were able to get some great sale today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...too crowded and the same ol' same ol' when it came to plants.

      Delete
  14. Love the turtle in the tree, but your tim man is unbelievable. I have got to TRY to create one. Annie....it is just so darn cute. Kudos to you on your perseverance. It really paid off. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good luck!! Let me know if you ever finish one, I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  15. I love your tin man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's very annoying when techy gadgets refuse to cooperate. I do love your tin man, he's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, a true PITA if you ask me. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  17. I love your tin man.

    I got a new smart phone at work this week. Jeez Loueeze, two hours with the IT guys getting the email to work and then three different long sessions with AT&T's finest (they really are good) getting the internet connection to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I know what you mean, sometimes Technology can be so taxing.

      Delete
  18. With that smile, your tin man truly has a heart! Sentimental he looks...I think this turtle disregards the common 'knowledge' that says turtles ar slow and plodding on the ground. Perhaps the terrapin you captured in the tree is proving the conventional wisdom wrong. A turtle on a mission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a turtle on a mission. You got that right.

      Delete
  19. Anni, so glad I decided to visit you this morning. How have you been?

    I absolutely LOVE your Tin Man. Great job! You are such a talented lady.

    Need to get a new post up at the Writing Nook. I sure miss blogging. I need to take some pictures of the new house and post them. The river is flooding, so that would make some great pics as well. Finding blog fodder now that the boys are grown is a little more difficult.

    Love your header and background. Awesome!!!

    Take care and be sure to let me know how everything is with you.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary...long time no see. Whenever you decide to post something, let me know. Miss you.

      Delete
  20. I agree with Shelly - didn't know 'turtles could "climb" trees'!
    I'd love to have a Tin Man standing in our back yard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm not sure I'm gonna keep him outdoors. LOL...if I can find a safe place inside, it'll keep him from rusting out too quickly.

      Delete
  21. Anni, I love your Tin Man. Very cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. But it wasn't MY idea. I stole it from Pinterest. LOL

      Delete
  22. Your tin man is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so love the Tin Man!

    My Shadow Shots
    Your comment is always appreciated, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How the heck does a turtle get in to a tree? Very curious thing, indeed! And, I LOVE the Tinman!!! What a great use of tin and glad that it didn't end up in the landfill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking since the branches were so low to the water's edge, it climbed there. Dunno for sure.

      Delete
  25. Your tin man is cute and a nice project for a garden or patio. I hope someone rescued that turtle from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I'm sure it could easily jump down, it wasn't that far up.

      Delete
  26. Awesome tin man! I love Wizard of Oz (which is why, I guess, I was disappointed with Oz The Great and Powerful).

    I didn't know that turtles could climb trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the newest 'oz' movie. Not sure I want to.

      Delete
  27. So annoying when technology won't cooperate! Hope you had a great weekend. I am a bit behind on blogging myself with lots going on. Your tin man creation is so very clever. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, definitely something that makes a day frustrating. Or week.

      Thanks Gail.

      Delete
  28. I love the tin man what a cute idea and you did a wonderful job.
    I also have never seen a turtle in the tree Great shot.
    Have a wonderful day and hope you gets lots of bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon...
      Did you get any of that snow? By the looks of it it may be coming your way again...from Eastern Colorado?!!!

      Delete
  29. You're so talented! When technology fails me I just sit down and cry (or pout, or run in circles, scream and shout)! You sit down and create something cute another way. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the challenge can be disheartening sometimes, but working it through can help. LOL NOT!!!

      Delete

.