my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Birds and burgers anyone?


WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
If you'd like to participate and share your birding experiences, see meme links on my right sidebar - Or if you would enjoy my birding photo blog click on "I'd Rather B Birdin'" bumper sticker on the right sidebar also]





INDIGO BUNTINGS
at our backyard feeder



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
[Joyce has these questions for us this week. If you'd like to participate, see meme links on my right sidebar]

1. This week's Hodgepodge is Volume 123. What's something you've done recently that was as easy as 1-2-3? Does eating count as 'doing something'? I'm pretty good at that and it's such an easy task; I excel in fact.

2. The Wednesday Hodgepodge also happens to fall on the first day of May ...what is something you may do this month? It's not a 'may do' but 'a given'. Bud and I will celebrate 45 years of marriage on May 11th.

3. The Englishman Horace Walpole is credited as saying, "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think" How do you see it? When it comes to the world as a whole and my personal vision of it all, most definitely I do not look through rose colored glasses!! The world [politically mostly, and greed] is a tragedy. Therefore, I don't think. Hence, no comedy.

4. May is National Hamburger Month...how often do you eat a burger? What are your must-haves when it comes to burgers? I assume you vegetarians won't be celebrating so tell us what you'd like instead? I love burgers. In fact most often when asked what my favorite food is I reply "Cheeseburger"!! Smashburger in Houston. But we don't have that franchise here, so Five Guys Burgers [and their fried in peanut oil, french fries!]----I like mine fixed so many different ways tho. The most common choice is with Cheese, extra pickle, mustard and chopped onion. But there are two other 'favorite ways' --Mexican Buger -which I posted about long ago; here [cheddar cheese, chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, hot sauce (it must be Clint's HOT), guacamole, and a dollop of sour cream, and sliced jalapeno peppers]. In the photo I posted with the older version, shared again today... yes, there is a burger under all that topping, trust me. In my opinion, it's a meal all by its lonesome! And then, another favorite way is the Stroganoff Burger [topped with melted swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onion, mushroom gravy, and sour cream]. See? Eating...Easy as one-two-three.

5. Pansies, petunias, geraniums, impatiens...of the four mentioned, which is your favorite in a patio pot? Will there be pots on your patio this spring? (Or whenever spring comes to your part of the globe?) Who does the gardening at your house? I love 'em all. But if having to choose of the four mentioned, I would have to go with impatiens. In this climate, pansies, petunias and geraniums do not do well in extreme heat and full sun. Our patio is NOT covered by choice so I can star-gaze. And our yard is flowers grass and flowering bushes, so the patio is decorated with rock and wood benches. ONE patio pot has a rose bush [in the photo posted], and a circular decorative stone and rock --with central birdbath that has small pots of cactus that bloom a beautiful hot pink---they're there all year long. Who does the gardening? It's a 50/50 job of work here in the Garden of Anni. I do the edging while Bud does the tree trimming and bush trimming with ladder and electric trimmer, I use the hand clippers to cut off the withered blossoms on bushes... we both get down on our hands and knees to pull weeds, and mowing lawn?---Bud does the front, I do the back yard.

6. When did you last (literally or figuratively) shout "Mayday, Mayday!"
I don't think I've ever said this phrase unless I'm quoting a movie line. My preferred wording would be "If you want dinner tonight, HELP"!!!

7. Say farewell to your April in ten words or less. Birding every day, migration is nearly over --Come what "MAY"!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. I loved it!! We had a rainstorm. Yes, a storm!! Thunder, heavy rain for a while before sunset [around 7 pm] --and it lulled me to sleep. What a delight. It rained off and on all night and into the wee hours of the morning. I know darned well, the drought isn't even close to being over, but at least a storm system found its way this far south. Too bad I wasn't out on the freeway tho, I coulda had the car go through the 'power wash'...LOL Oh, and another thought came to my mind...I'm still working on my newest watercolor painting. Coming along nicely tho.

56 comments :

  1. I've only seen a few indigo buntings but they are just gorgeous!
    You're making me hungry with this talk about hamburgers. :)
    It's storming here now - thunder and lightning like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your storm sounds heavenly 'bout now.

      Delete
  2. You are a busy woman, Anni. I guess my favorite food is actually a nice salmon steak with a fabulous salad, so I'm not that different from you. I also love geraniums the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love salmon steak too.

      Delete
  3. I have NEVER seen Indigo Buntings around here, and they are gorgeous! I'm so glad to see these pictures. And these rainstorms the last couple of days have been spectacular, even though I got soaked to the skin twice. Not complaining, though!

    Happy anniversary a little early- may it be the best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just the other day we saw 'tons' of indigo buntings!! All feeding on the park grounds. The lawns were blue...and moving. LOL

      thanks for the anniversary wishes.

      Delete
  4. The photos of the Indigo Buntings are beautiful. I have never seen any in this area so I enjoy the photos.
    Glad that you got some much needed moisture.
    Enjoyed the hodgepodge again also.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I hope we get more real soon.

      Delete
  5. I've been on a search for Indigos Anni, no luck yet, Love your shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good luck in finding one. You shoulda been with us on Thursday this week, the park's lawn was BLUE with a lot of them feeding.

      Delete
  6. I think we are getting the rain that came from your area today. :( You have so many indigo buntings in your yard! Im kinda sad that migration is winding down. Have yet to see the tanagers, but all my birding friends have seen both the scarlet and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we saw an immature scarlet tanager in our yard a few days this past month. And one adult at a wildlife refuge. Several Scarlet Tanagers in a couple of parks. But, they don't cooperate nicely through the lens. Unless you like the backside view of them. LOL

      Delete
  7. The Buntings are awesome! I have only ever seen one once. Did you know their feathers are not really blue? They have some kind of light receptors that make them look blue. Wow, we have been married only two years less then you, but you win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did NOT know that about the blue of their feathers. Interesting.

      Delete
  8. Hi Annie...Oh I am so jealous you have indigo buntings but thankful I know someone who does and shares her pictures.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed them M&M

      Delete
  9. Those Buntings are so vividly indigo! I'm hungry after hiking this AM in Zion - could go for a Mexican burger even though I rarely order one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you need power food to go hiking. The Zion Park has some strenuous hikes, that I know.

      Delete
  10. Great photos. Those Indigo Buntings are so beautiful and the color is so intense. I would love to see one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come on over and we'll find some for you

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post Anni, and those birds I have only ever once seen an Indigo Bunting, they were an awesome sight. I enjoy a good burger, usually topped with lettuce, tomato and grilled onions. If they offer grilled portobello mushrooms I love those. We enjoy 5 Guys and I'd say it's our favorite burger place but then we found Freddies and thought they were great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like grilled onions too. But the best time for them is with fried liver. LOL

      Delete
  12. Those indigo buntings are an amazing colour. Unfortunately we do not have your range of gourmet burgers, we only have Big Mac's and Hungry Jacks and there is not much to choose between those two. A fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, this burger isn't from a restaurant. It's HOME made. :o)

      Delete
  13. Nice post, great serie of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, your Indigo Buntings are beautiful. I can not wait to see some here. Great shots. I do like burgers with cheese of course. We use to have them once a week, but I got tired of them so now it is once every couple of weeks. Impatiens are my favorite in pots or planted in the ground. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I seriously don't think I'd get tired of a cheeseburger all too soon. Even if I had one once a week. But, oh the cholesterol count would go up, right?!!

      Delete
  15. Lovely birds. I really like hamburgers, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on 45 years of marriage!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently experienced Five Guys for the first time. Yummy, but not as good as our home grown burgers. The fries were great too! Have a nice Wednesday, and Happy Anniversary month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the first time I tried Five Guys, it blew my socks off. Especially the fries. LOL

      Delete
  18. Your so lucky to have such beautiful birds at your feeder. We had to give up our feeder because the bears like them as much as the birds. They're interesting to watch too : ) Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, if there are bears around, I wouldn't want to feed the birds either!! Yikes.

      Delete
  19. Do you have plans to celebrate your 45th? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, to us it's just another day really...we celebrate each and EVERY day together.

      Delete
  20. Happy Anniversary! How strange is it that the 1st 3 blogs in the linky have May Anniversaries? We'll be celebrating our 29th on the 18th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well then, congrats on your marriage longevity!! That's a great accomplishment these days.

      Delete
  21. What beautiful birds, Anni! I've never seen those before! We had a long rainstorm here over the weekend and it was WONDERFUL! Our grass, flowers, and shrubs were all doing the HAPPY DANCE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, happy dance indeed.

      Delete
  22. I forgot about avocado! That is a must for me too! Depends on what kind of burger though. I love the Kobe mushroom burger at cheesecake factory! I could never eat the whole thing but it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I am having a serious case of the 'drools' here.

      Delete
  23. The colour of the birds is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the blue is quite pretty. I agree.

      Delete
  24. The birds are pretty but all I can think of right now is a burger with swiss cheese and mushrooms and just a little mayo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know....long ago, I would not even consider mayo on my burger, but now that I tried it...it's delicious.

      Delete
  25. congrats on 45years ...that is a long time!! Love the Indigo Bunting...I had lost the link to your personal blog so thanks for giving it to me...bad eyes could not find the link on Rather Be Birding sidebar. I added you to my follow now. We had a character on our coast called Cougar Anni and I always think of her when I see your name!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cougar Anni, huh?!!! Well now, I've been known to be quite feisty, like a cat sometimes [kidding]

      Delete
  26. Anni,

    Loved your post. The photos of the Indigo Buntings are awesome. I've only ever seen one in my lifetime and it was eating bugs on my windowsill. Amazing!!

    Drop over to the Writing Nook and see how I've been inspired. I'm opening a new door and going on an adventure.

    Hope you, Bud and the entire family is well.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the invite Mary

      Delete
  27. Enjoyed your post and your pictures are beautiful! I love the indigo buntings. We usually get one or two later in the summer. Their colors are so vivid! I love a rainstorm as long as it does not rain forever... 2 or 3 days is enough at one time. lol
    until next time...nel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2-3 days of rainfall straight in a row could become quite mundane. I agree.

      Delete
  28. Great answer to #1-wish I would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...kinda like "V8"?!!! LOL

      Delete

.