my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Spoonbill Hodgepodge

Spoonbills...
Normally, on a windless morning, after the Roseate Spoonbills fly into the bay for their morning ritual, they begin with taking a "spit bath". I can't really explain it, but it's fun to watch. With their spatula-like beaks, they scoop up water, and then spit it out onto their bodies, and then groom...Nature is amazing!!!





Photo series taken Monday morning...at Oso Bay's Han Suter Reserve in Corpus Christi, Texas
images can be enlarged by clicking on them.


<><><>---<><><>


Hodgepodge...
Joyce has these questions for us to answer this week...

1. My real life friends came through with another question this week so thank you real life friends. When you've eaten in a restaurant do you complete their comment card? Do you take online surveys highlighted at the bottom of store receipts? I don't recall ever seeing any questionnaire for a restaurant, but I do know of the store receipt surveys...I've done it once or twice. Especially our local grocery store...who wouldn't want to win a year's supply of groceries?

2. The (US) ban on women in combat was lifted at the end of January. It will probably be next year before specifics are worked out, but it's been reported over 200,000 front line positions will eventually open up to women. Your thoughts? How can it be any different than young men putting their lives on the line for their country? Both sexes have brains, power, know-how, training...so ya, it's okay by me.

3. In looking back at all the blog posts you've written, what's your favorite post title? Well, I have been blogging since 2006, and I have over 2200 blog entries. I only skimmed quickly through the first 500 post titles. I must say my titling expertise is nil!!! I guess since I like the poem by Robert Frost so much, I'd have to give him credit for my blog dated 10/31/11 = "...miles to go before I sleep". I posted images of a wooded area park here in our locale, which always reminds me of "Who's woods these are I think I know"?

4. What's worse-overly permissive parents or overly protective parents? Did your own parents lean more to the permissive or the protective category? If you're a parent where do you fall? Both have equally good/bad points. My parents were actually, neither in my opinion....Mom AND Dad would allow us kids to 'do our will' and learn from the right or wrongs we did. In my eyes they were permissive enough to let us learn lessons of life...but only to ourselves if that makes sense. and protective enough to let us LEARN our lessons and be there if needed only. We KNEW better than to destroy other's property or slander someone; respect was instilled from day one, it was in our strong upbringing...they were not OVERLY protective or permissive - it's hard to explain. Let me put it this way, if we did wrong by our own choice, we paid dearly for it...monetarily or discipline. And I raised my two to the same respect from both directions...respecting that they were children, learning as life went on into adulthood, and they respected ME.

5. Candlelight-moonlight-firelight-bright lights in the big city...which one's your favorite? Okay, let me put it this way, I'm in a penthouse with nothing but glass walls looking out at night with the big city lights sparkling in my sight and the full moon rising over it all -- a candle lit room, with a small fire lit in the fireplace. How's that? I think in all honesty, I LOVE big city lights. There is nothing compared to flying into a city [like Las Vegas for instance] at night and all you can see out the plane's window is lights!!!

6. Dr. Seuss's birthday was celebrated on Saturday. What's a favorite book you remember (Seuss or otherwise) from your own childhood? Did books play an important role in your growing up years? Explain. I really didn't get into reading a book until my adolescence. I hated reading, and text books especially...even today, non-fiction is blah, blah, blah, boring!! I loved reading Dickens. And then, late teens I was into reading Shakespeare. And all because of my wonderment through classes of English and American Literature in school. Now when I was a young mother of two, both my kids [toddlers at the time] loved it when I brought out a book entitled "Lamont the Lonely Monster"...they giggled with delight and I had their full attention 'til it was done. I think my different voices I used for the characters made them enjoy it even more. My daughter still has the book!!!

7. To quote Dr. Seuss...
    "From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere." from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Share something funny you've recently read, seen or heard.


Our Persian...Winnie the Poo [aka Winston]

 


8. Insert your own random thought here. My youngest Grandson, Dillon, will be 17 on March 6th!!! Heck, sometimes I don't feel I'm that far away from 17 myself!!! Happy Birthday Dillon. Also...Toying with a newly installed program on the computer...fun, fun, fun!! All I know is, it's taking up a lot of my time, I'm once again becoming addicted. And the learning is well...did I say it? FUN!

59 comments :

  1. Enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's good to know sweet Ms.D!!

      Delete
  2. Those spoonbills are really pretty, even with their funny beaks. And I also enjoyed your answers, as usual. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are pretty, and odd at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Those spoonbills are a sight, but, oh, do they smell up a place when they leave!

    I enjoyed your list. The cat picture at the end really tickled me- I don't know why- maybe the look on the cat's face and the position of its leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay....now you got me....what do you mean 'smell up the place'? Am I now leery about the spoonbill? Yes, you got me going now.

      Delete
    2. They really stink up a small pond when they congregate together. Yuck!

      Delete
    3. Shelly....I did not KNOW that.

      Delete
  4. Great post and answers, Anni! I love the Spoonbill photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never ever saw spoonbills before, they are wonderful! so it's your Persian cat, wild pose, lol
    Happy bday to Dillon and a happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well then, I'm glad I posted the photos for you Mar.

      Delete
  6. I've only observed the spoonbills once and did not see them bathe. What a treat! It's amazing that they can do anything for themselves with those huge bills. Nature is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they're pretty, and odd at the same time. And it's my understanding that the Aussies have them in yellow like we have pink!!

      Delete
  7. I love these posts...we learn so much about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed the post this time 'round.

      Delete
  8. gorgoeous pictures... I could sit and watch birds all day long... They simply fascinate me. Love your questions and answers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too....birds are such great subjects to watch.

      Delete
  9. Hi Anni, Nice post... I have a granddaughter who will be 16 on March 6... How 'bout that? Those kids have grown up too fast.

    Love your Spoonbills and their 'spit bath'.. Interesting... Interesting questions today.. My brief answers: 1. Seldom to I respond to things like that; 2. Let 'em have equal rights; 3. Have no idea --but the post that has gotten the most hits was "Let's Talk Friday: HONESTY" (19,000); 4. Overly permissive is the worst these days --actually parents who aren't parenting at all.. Gads!; 5. Firelight --from a wood fire; 6. Loved Dr. Suess--"Cat and Hat" or "Green Eggs and Ham"

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally agree with the 'parents not parenting'!!!

      Delete
  10. The spoonbills are cute. They are my new favourite pink bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cute? Okay....cute it is!! I've often wondered where they get the pink in their feathers, now I read that it's what they eat!! So, if that is true, they should be a muddy brown. LOL Okay...cute it is.

      Delete
  11. The Spoonbill images are just wonderful. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Lois, glad you liked 'em.

      Delete
  12. So cute birds!
    A perfect post for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was für herrliche Fotos liebe Anni, einfach ganz bezaubernd.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of the Spoonbills and very interesting to watch them bathing a grooming like that. I love the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mick....awwww, I'm glad you liked my kitty!!

      Delete
  15. cute spitting spoons. :) love your cat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...spitting spoons...I like that reference. Hopefully, I can remember that terminology the next time.

      Delete
  16. Everytime I see the spoonbills in someone's post I sigh because I haven't ever seen any. It's that lovely pink color I adore.
    A spit bath - haven't heard that since high school and shower time in PE class. :)
    Wonderful answers today. "Miles to go before I sleep" just might be the best phrase/title I'd ever come across in my life. I too have always loved it.
    Not sure how I'll handle a grandchild at 17. My oldest one - a granddaughter - starts school in the fall. I'm having a hard time thinking she's old enough for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, our grandkids grow way too quickly.

      Delete
  17. More great bird pictures!
    I have mixed feeling about woman in combat. I think if they are being paid the same as men they should do the same job. But - I really think there's a difference in the strength of a woman and man and I feel like it can mean more is required by the men.
    I love Dr Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...my favorite is Green Eggs and Ham.

      Delete
  18. Love the pictures of the spoonbills. I can relate to not feeling like your much older than 17 (some times....lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya....guess you're right...sometimes anyway!!

      Delete
  19. Nice post - I have a fondness for spoonbills - they are such comical birds.

    Rather like One Fish, Two Fish - also the phrase "my borphin has shlumped" has been taken up in this household as a way of describing almost any form of problem!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Stewart, for hosting WBW

      Delete
  20. Happy Birthday Dillon!!!! I hope your grandma spoils you rotten, come tell me if she didn't and I'll sort her out for you. But knowing you Anni, I think he's in good hands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the one that keeps ME in line.

      Delete
  21. I don't remember seeing Lamont, The Lonely Monster as a child. I googled it. Looks really cute, and kids just love those lift-and-look books.

    The spoonbill photos are beautiful. Wish I could see them in person. The other day while driving we saw two storks in a field. We pulled over to take pictures. They didn't even mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that it's a collector's item now. Glad my daughter still has the book for her kids and the next generation.

      Delete
  22. Always fun reading your posts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy having you drop by Wayne.

      Delete
  23. Great pics of the spoonbills. Winston is also very photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Dillon! Love the cat picture...cracks me up. I always used different voices whenever I read to my girls...they thought it was hilarious! Made for many bittersweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lasting memories such as this, it's all worth it....bittersweet or not. MHO

      Delete
  25. the spoonbill photos are amazing, anni, as is that cute cat in the bottom photo.
    enjoyed reading your post and seeing your beautiful photos.
    it was so nice getting to know a little more about you through these questions.

    have a wonderful day!

    big hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, enjoy your day too Betty.

      Delete
  26. We are so late but....here we are. Mom loves the spoonbills and hopes to see one in person some day. Winnie you have a very handsome tummy
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sometimes, Winnie is our comedy relief!!

      Delete
  27. We were in the Tampa area a couple of weeks ago and saw roseate spoonbills. I'd never heard of them before.

    I am also a fan of bright lights big city. Everyone should see Times Square lit up at night at least once in their life : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love spoonbills. They are some of my favorites!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice images of one of our favorite birds!

    ReplyDelete

.