my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Babbling, Baseball, Books

1] This week, Bud and I purchased the 2nd of the trilogy, Atlas Shrugged, on DVD and watched it. Who is John Galt? Each and every time I see a segment of this saga, I feel like I want to begin reading the heavy volume by Ayn Rand again. But, the first time I read it it took me nearly a year to get through all the nearly 1100 pages. But, it's so good even tho it's written in the 1950's, it could be about the country and the attitudes of today's times. The author was clearly thinking ahead of her time!! I do know even tho the producers of the movie trilogy are out on a limb and not using well-known celebrities, nor having much to do with Hollywood and their protocol........it's a good story and I'm anxiously awaiting the 3rd installment to hit the theaters.
2] I got the house cleaned...at least half of it, before the vacuum cleaner burned out and I had to stop everything and get out and about to shop for a new one. My old one was the brand "Bissel" and I swear I never liked it all that much. I had one, a Eureka brand, that we got in Colorado and moved to Arizona with us...it was good, excellent in fact. I don't know why I didn't replace that one with another Eureka...but I didn't, and I paid for my error. Now, the new one is a Eureka once again. Wishin' I could afford one of those $600 Dyson brands. But, what the hey ---I'm not sure they'd be any better than other brands.
3] So, the house is cleaned thoroughly now, and the St. Patrick's decorations are out.
4] Wrapped all the little gifts for my sister and got it shipped for Sister's Day. [As some of you know, my sister and I celebrate sisterhood on the 18th of March each year --for more than two decades now].
5] I've been updating and changing all the passwords on the computer and the websites I 'own'. What a chore. I'm really not sure I need to do this little ditty anymore...seems the security on websites and such are more reliable than once was. But, it's a habit that is hard to break.
6] Starting reading "Girl Mary" this week. So far, quite an interesting novel. At Amazon a couple of blurbs found:
  1. A hauntingly beautiful novel, bringing to life one of history’s most mysterious characters, Mary of Nazareth, as a beautiful, complicated, utterly believable girl in love.
  2. A great character: For centuries, Mary has been the Virgin—but isn’t she also the ultimate female, whose life and passion have never been told? Girl Mary introduces us to the human girl who beguiled even God with her simplicity. So what exactly is Girl Mary? Answers the author: it’s a love story of biblical proportions.
7] For some reason the "My Texas Life" magazine wasn't published in February. I couldn't even find it online! Normally, I get my copy at the Texas Local Grocery Stores [H E B]. But!!! March issue is out and you can find it here. Actually, online, it states this issue is March/April. So, perhaps they've made some budget cuts and publishing them only 6 months out of the year. That's understandable. I like the magazine for their recipes.

8] Baseball Season begins March 31st. The first professional, regular season, game....The "new" American League, Houston Astros are pitted against the Texas Rangers!!! And now that they're American League, Jack, the previous team mascot for the Astros has left the building!! ... Orbit, a long time mascot has made his return to the city of Houston!! [by the way, his antenna consists of baseball orbs!!] Whoooohooo!!! Play ball!!!! Find your team's mascot HERE

9 As of today, our area and the surrounding beaches will be inundated by Spring Break Revelers. It's one time of the year I try to stay away from the beaches and the main thoroughfares that are nearly bumper to bumper traffic. Especially on the islands.
KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend





photo of "Orbit" courtesy of Google Image Search

37 comments :

  1. I love that you celebrate Sisters Day. I haven't heard of it - is it an actual "holiday" or a date you and your sister picked? Regardless - it's a great idea and one I may have to take up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's something my sister and I began long ago and has become a yearly thing we do on the 18th.

      Delete
  2. You intrigued me with the Girl Mary book. I think it's going to be one of my spring break reads.

    Highway 77 is already clogging up with spring breakers- I just hope they will drive safely.

    I love your Sister's Day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary to think of all that drink and are driving and on the roads. Of course, that could be the case 365 days a year, but you think more so during this time. Oh, the book does have something intriguing, I just hope it remains a good read.

      Delete
  3. I had a stuffed Philly Phanatic growing up so I know my mascot : )

    We had our neighborhood book club last night, and somehow got on the topic of Ayn Rand's books and how they are timely in the days we are living. We talked about reading Fountainhead in an upcoming month.

    Sister Day-how fun! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fountainhead is ANOTHER excellent book!!! Howard Roark reminds me of my son.

      Delete
  4. Spring break already? I have barely seen any other signs of spring. I read Atlas Shrugged years ago and remember very little about it, but that's true of many other books I've read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read it and discussed it with others that have read it; it's something I will not forget easily.

      Delete
  5. I had not heard of sisters day either - you have been really busy. And I love that Irish Blessing!!!!!!!!! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just between me and my sister, a private celebration.

      Delete
  6. I have not heard of Sister day but it is a great idea.
    That book sounds like one I will have to go look for.
    I can not believe that crowd on your beaches and I can see why you stay away.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister's Day is just a private celebration between my sister and me. Oh ya, the crowds, unruly but having fun, are not my cup of tea. ;0)

      Delete
  7. Yipes---Spring Break is upon us... I remember those days when I lived both in FL and TX.... Glad my sons never participated in that madness...

    I've had Eureka vacuums through the years... Hope your new one works good. The last couple we had don't seem nearly as good as some of the older ones through the years. BUT--things aren't made as good as they used to be!

    Hope the Astros do a better job in the American League--but I have my doubts. The American League is actually a harder league than the National.. SO--it all remains a mystery.

    I have to keep a card listing all of my passwords--and have to carry it with me when we travel. Gets so confusing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I think the National League is 'harder to play on'...only 'cause the pitchers have to come up to bat, while the American League pitchers don't.

      Delete
  8. My stepson used to go to Corpus every spring break to bar tend! Sounds like you've had a productive week. I have to tell you that I tried almost every major brand of vacuum cleaner, but with 3 dogs they couldn't handle the hair, so I got a Dyson about 3 years ago and it works like a dream. I figure I spent as much on all the other brands combined in 3 years time. None of them lasted more than a year or two. Hopefully, I'll continue to get mileage out of the Dyson. The book sounds intriguing - I may download a sample on my iPad. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...maybe I shoulda bought a Dyson then. I always think that it'd be a waste of mega dollars if they don't last any longer than the other 'store brands'.

      Delete
  9. I love that you and your sister celebrate Sister's Day - maybe my sister and I should start a new tradition and follow your lead. ;)

    I went to Daytona Beach one year with my girlfriends (a long time ago) - I can see why you avoid the beaches this time of year. ;)

    Another Winter Storm Dud and some Funnies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I would much rather stay close to home with all those revelers out and about....even if they trash up the place and then leave, let 'em have their fun on their borrowed turf and leave in a week where I can have the beach to myself again. LOL

      Delete
  10. Can't say I blame you for avoiding the Spring Break crowd. Crazy kids! I love the idea of a sister day. I may have to snag that idea ;-)

    I love older books. My hubby claims that if a story line is really good, then producers will get unknown actors so that the story line is not muddled by a big name star. Sounds like that works?

    I am near to killing off my vacuum too. I have no idea what I want next. We don't have enough carpet here in the cabin for a new one yet...maybe in the next house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've oftentimes thought of getting hardwood flooring throughout the house. Just to eliminate a vacuum altogether!

      Delete
  11. I love the Sister's Day celebration too! I have two sisters and I think that would be great fun!

    We stay away from the beach during this Spring Break time too! It's awful here. As my daddy would say, Sin City!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom isn't familiar with Atlas Shrugged...but she did like your review...

    Oh no not spring break time for you. Lots of hugs I guess you won't be walking on the beach next week.
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope...it's like a neon sign flashing in my daytime nightmare...."Stay off the Beach".

      Delete
  13. Sorry about your vacum! We have a Dyson, but a cheaper one, the all floors. It is a real pain with no cord reel!!!! I do not know why such a innovative and fancy brand will not even do cord reels!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm, interesting. So, you have to just twist it around the machine when done with it?

      Delete
  14. Do you need to actually have a sister to celebrate sister's day?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know the Houston Astros have moved to the American league--interesting. Changing all your passwords is a chore, but I think remembering them all is the bigger chore! That'e why I still have changed all mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you agree tho, changing the passwords these days isn't all that necessary?

      Delete
  16. Hi! New poster and follower from FF. Love your idea of sister's day, my sister is my favorite person :-) Also LOVE your political statement at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sisters Day, how awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They really make Dysons so attractive in their commercials, don't they? The book about Mary sounds really good -- I may have to check it out. I also love that you celebrate Sisters Day -- how cool! How you feel about the Spring Breakers is how I feel whenever there's a home Cubs game! If I have to go out, I schedule my routes to completely avoid that neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, ballgame traffic would be something to avoid. As concerts, campaigns, etc. etc.

      Delete
  19. I heard a Fl native refer to it as trash break.

    ReplyDelete

.