my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...with a Moo Moo here

When you hear or read "Texas", what do you associate with it? Cowboys? [not the football team] Oil? Perhaps Dallas, Houston, or the massive Universities and medical research? Or cattle? At one time, before oil was discovered, cattle was the largest industry in the state's history. Of course, my post isn't about oil, population or universities...it's about cattle. I seem to like best animals with shades of gray! My favorite horse is the dappled gray, I love cats with gray or silver coats, and that doesn't leave out cattle. My favorite breed of cattle is the Brahma [or Zebu, or Brahman]. A couple of weeks ago, while out hunting for the elusive Whooping Crane, as we strolled around the fenced in pasture, there were Brahma cattle compounded within. I, naturally, had to photograph the papa grandé!! He was magnificent in stature, color, and so picturesque. But, this I did not know. I asked Bud, who has raised cattle when younger and single, I asked him if he knew how the breed got started and where...he said he thought somewhere in Asia. Well, he was right. In fact, the Zebu originated in India. They've been exported to the subtropical areas and deserts around the world...mainly 'cause they can withstand the extreme temperate zones best of any other breed. Also, reading wikipedia, the cattle that roamed the Indian fields, are the ORIGINAL breed of cattle known to man. All other species of cattle have the Brahma DNA. Anyway, the prominent fatty hump on the UPPER * part of the shoulders, their floppy ears, and the huge dewlap are what make this particular breed so beautiful to me...not to mention the dark, charcoal colors against the slate gray hide. In my opinion, they're the prettiest [if a particular cattle can be pretty] of all. While reading the information, the Brahma is bred for the hides, the milk, the beef, as well as the by-products, for fuel and I'm sure horns...tho some are naturally born polled [without horns]. In Asia, they're still used as a labor source in farming. At one time in history they roamed the land, wild. The cow, I'm assuming the bull's mate, wasn't too far a distance from where we stood. I also read while out on wikipedia, that the Brahma could also have a red coat/hide. This I didn't know either. When someone mentions Brahma to me, I naturally assume...gray! Well, now, you live and learn. The cow in the field on this particular day was of the red coloration. There were some calves, scattered here and there, roaming around among several other adult cattle of mixed breeds, one calf in particular was quite interested in my camera and walked right up to the fence line; quite curious. I had to get a photo of the sweet, sweet, face peering through the wire. So so very precious and cute little bugger!! And 99% of the time, where there are cattle grazing there always seems to be a vulture or two. Either seen soaring high above, or traipsing around in the grasses, looking for a food source...

the one with the gray face is a Black Vulture, the one with the red face is a Turkey Vulture



Oh, and if you've continued reading to this part of the post, today is the day I have posted the endangered Whooping Crane Photos on my Bird Photo Blog!!! [the link is found on my sidebar "I'd Rather B Birdin'" or connecting to the "Bird D'Pot" link below -posting time scheduled to publish at NOON CST] Tho the photos are not that clear because of the distance between me and the birds as they meandered thought the fields, I still wanted to keep a record. Also, if all goes well, Bud and I plan to return to the area the beginning of next month in hopes they'll still be there before the Spring migration begins and they return to Canada for the Summer. And hopefully the new camera with larger zoom will take much clearer, better photos of them....


connecting to:
Saturday Photo Hunt [challenge - upper *as in upper shoulder & upper views of the vultures]


53 comments :

  1. Anni...you're always full of life! I am always amaze...btw, so nice to be back here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's great seeing you again!! Long time.

      Delete
  2. Anni, Love these shots of the Brahma cattle. They do have sweet faces. A great critter post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you're enjoying the weekend to Eileen.

      Delete
  3. I know and love those old Brahmas. They are indeed beautiful and the ones we've had in the past are usually docile, even the bulls. Looking forward to checking out your whooper pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, they're so sweet in nature and personality.

      Delete
  4. Whenever I hear Texas, I think of Dallas, oil and cowboys! I will google from which part of Asia does the Brahma cow come from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cowboys? As in the western dudes in hats and boots? Or the football team?

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy how your posts combine so many interesting things! I've been thinking about Texas a lot recently - I was just given approval to go to a conference in San Antonio in June. woo hoo!

    Beautiful shots for this week's theme.

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like San Antonio...so much to do there.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you on the charcoal gray coloring on cows, dogs, cats...simply beautiful! Every time I see a Weimaraner, I'm smitten with the deep shade of gray in their fur. Have a great weekend, Anni! Thanks for all the info on cattle. I found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like that breed of dog. You and I are a like in so many ways.

      Delete
  7. Eu adoro fotografar pássaros, mas só consigo fazer com a câmera da minha filha, com zoom mais potente. Belas imagens e texto. Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have lots of cows around here, but no Brahma's. They really are magnificent animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. magnificent...yes, I agree.

      Delete
  9. Of course we read it through... I'm always looking forward to what Hootin Annie has to say!
    Happy Hunting~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, I just loved learning this today!!! I had no idea that any Brahma were even in this country!! And also that it was the first cattle ever! And they are so pretty in your photos. Is the hump to store fat so they don't starve in hard times? I have never seen any at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you ask, I really don't know the natural significance of the hump.

      Delete
  11. I couldn't find a link here anywhere to your bird blog. That would be nice, then I could just go over there after I read this one. Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's the link to The Bird D'Pot or the bumper sticker graphic on my right sidebar [I'd Rather B Birdin'], Ginny.

      Delete
  12. The one time I went through Texas (yep, pretty much through the whole state on a trip with my Aunt Betty) I remember the cattle and the amazing thunder storms. The cattle were just standing out in the fields that seemed to go on forever while the lightening struck all around them. They didn't even flinch. I did though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam...I'm very happy to see you. I'm sure you're busy with your 'new' job.

      Delete
  13. In my my travels throughout India, I saw Brahma cattle everywhere. Of course, cows are sacred and roam freely through the streets. I wasn't fast enough with my camera. Once, when I came across about 10 of them perched precariously on a median in the middle of the road. Regardless,though, motor traffic pauses for them and gives them the right of way, amazing in a city like Mumbai, with 20 million people.

    My Camera Critters is at:

    http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-peacock-in-jaipur-february-23-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, they are sacred, I had forgotten about that.

      Delete
  14. Interesting cows Anni. I think vultures are majestic looking. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you do? I think they're ugly. LOL But I love watching them soar so effortlessly in the wild blue yonder!!

      Delete
  15. Hey Anni...gorgeous pictures. At last year's State Fair, Mom said there were lots of Brahmas and calves...the babies were adorable and their furs looked like velvet!!
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes....I agree very velvety!!

      Delete
  16. Lovely photos!
    Great photowork!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Brahma's! Vultures aren't pretty, but I like 'em! I've photographed Turkey Vultures, but not Black Vultures. We have them here, but they're not as common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I say about your Saturday Images...we don't have Blue Jays here this far South --and I'm totally jealous.

      Delete
  19. Interesting info and great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post this weekend.

      Delete
  20. Love this breed of cattle! First saw them when I lived on the island of Tasmania! I was fascinated with their powerful sense of majesty! And loved their shape! A kind of grand beauty! As always, love your presentation of the birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Hootin' Anni --

    Was reading along and thinking "cows as pets"? Then realized you're participating in Sandi's Photo Hunt but not Gattina's... ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, why not have a cow for a pet?!! Better than butchering them in my opinion. :o)

      Delete
  22. Enjoyed these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed them Denise

      Delete
  23. I agree Anni- the papa Brahma is handsome and a magnificent bull in every way.
    I love watching vultures soar so gracefully on the air currents.

    Have a lovely Sunday and enjoy your new camera ~:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they do soar so effortlessly!!!

      Delete
  24. I'm going to assume that few if any farms around here have Brahama cattle. I've never seen any gray cows. I do love cows though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...assuming you've see cattle, I'm sure there are Brahmas somewhere in the state. Somewhere.

      Delete
  25. Good post! When I lived in Florida we had Brahmas on the ranch. They could withstand the hottest temperatures, the worst hurricanes and the nastiest alligators. They would kill stray dogs, chase poachers and stomp rattlesnakes. Beautiful in the show ring, but deadly in the field. Thanks for the memories. Drop by and visit my Vermont herd when you have a chance: www.tailgait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Janis, and thanks for the invite, I'm now a follower of the tailgait.

      Delete
  26. I've always thought cows have beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The variety of cows!
    Great compilation of facts and pics.

    ReplyDelete

.