The week in fragments...



One: Monday of this week, I craved something chocolate.  I hafta tellya, I haven't made these but maybe once since the kids left home.  I used to make them quite often for them to snack on after school while doing their homework, only because they were so easy ... VERY easy, and tasty.  They're called Yankee Noodles.  Two ingredients needed.  About 10 minutes total prep time to completion.  The only draw back is that they should be chilled overnight.  And they're a serious "finger licking" snack, with a glass of cold milk!!



YANKEE NOODLE DANDIES
Here's the recipe.

1 bag of Nestlé Chocolate Chips
[I use Dark Chocolate]
1 bag of Chow Mein Noodles

...in a large bowl empty entire bag of chips, microwave at medium high setting for approximately 2 minutes [depending of voltage/wattage of your oven].  With a large spoon, stir chips to a smooth chocolate mixture.  Toss in the noodles and coat thoroughly.  Spoon onto waxed paper covered cookie sheets and chill overnight.  Makes about 24 Yankee Noodle Dandies!!!!

Two: While walking through the Science Museum and finishing up the tour from both sides of the building, Bud and I browsed through the gift shop on our way out. I spied a book there, about a local history that I've been considering finding in the bookstore or ordering it if need be!!  But, once I saw the price tag in the inside flap, I quickly changed my mind...$30 for a thin book with just over 100 pages. I don't think so. Even with the Kindle edition, it's a bit too costly for such a 'thin' book. I went online to see if there were any through book finders that would be cheaper...just the opposite; more expensive. And adding shipping and handling to that...uh, uh, no way José [or at least I originally thought]. When I needed to go to the county court house in person this past week, I walked over to the county library that is just a block away and used their online card catalog in hopes of finding it there. I did....I checked it out, and reading it now. It's just as I thought it would be; very interesting. I am learning a lot of the names you see on buildings and streets around here and who they are associated with in history. Worth reading if you live in this area, and checking it out at the library; a lot cheaper. LOL The book: Letters to Alice [about the love of the famous King's Ranch maiden - Alice King - daughter of ranch 'owner', now long deceased, Richard King]. Completing the book, I found the Epilogue to be super! First off the King Family used to summer vacation in Colorado [my 'home' state] and stayed at a hotel in the Springs, that blew me away...The Antlers Hotel...Bud was born in Colorado Springs, and we both know the Antlers Hotel like the back of our hands. LOL Still, the epilogue gave us a more recent history of the famous ranch...very good book. I may have to break down and buy the book someday to add to our book collection. Some day.

THREE: Bud and I went to the theater to see the #1 ranked movie for the last weekend...Hansel and Gretel - Witch Hunters. I was leery at first, thinking that it was just another 'teen flick' and hyped-up by the younger generations [reading the reviews of other movie goers]. The movie critics condemned it in many ways...but, I never agree with them much. LOL And we were bored, the weather was sultry, for days we've had a high wind warning and fire danger posted all over...so, we just went. Expecting a B movie, we came out surprisingly satisfied. It's fast paced from the opening credits to the end. Hansel & Gretel are out for revenge of the witch from Grimm's Fairy Tales...they become bounty hunters so to speak, and reek havoc with witches. I must warn you tho, there are scenes that are quite gory and so much is so realistic [special effects and slaying]. Some nudity with a special interest lady friend of Hansel's...a few strong words, but all in all entertaining if you like the science fiction genre. Oh, and just my opinion -- at the ending, I got a hunch there will be a sequel in the near future?!!!

FOUR: This is a fragmented rant!! My thoughts only...no offense taken please. Lately I've seen a lot of Linky abuse on several blogs....what's up with that? Joining in on a blog hop and creating a linky in excess is only abusing the free services of someone generous enough to share the javascript. And I've seen it happen before...once bloggers begin to abuse a free service by over-using it, it no longer is free because of the high cost of keeping the javascript on their servers. Memes, on the other hand, have only ONE linking page on the meme host/hostess page. Blog hops have dozens of linking posts and clutters by over abusing a free service.
    Excessive Use of Linking Scripts 1] Take for instance each script costs the provider 1 cent...hundreds of bloggers use this script daily....eventually this costs the provider hundreds of dollars in a year's time. 2] While memes, on the other hand, use only one free script weekly. You do the math! 3] Economic view: Supply and Demand=Higher Costs 4] Common sense tells me that soon it won't be a free service if the usage continues at this pace.

Five: I received this in an email and thought it was a hoot:

"I just received my tax return for 2012 back from the IRS.
It puzzles me!!!
They are questioning how many dependents I claimed.
I guess it was because of my response to the question:
"List all dependents?" I replied:
  1. 12 million illegal immigrants
  2. 3 million crack heads
  3. 42 million unemployed people on food stamps
  4. 2 million people in over 243 prisons
  5. Half of Mexico
  6. 535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate
  7. 1 useless President
Evidently, this was NOT an acceptable answer. I keep asking myself...
WHO DID I MISS?"


connecting to:
Friday Fragments
Friendship Friday This week: books

32 comments :

  1. My sister got me using the library again, and it's true, many books I will only read once are available there, and it saves me a lot of money. Isn't is interesting if you see a movie with your expectations lowered, it turns out so much better? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally surprised at how well it was produced.

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at the last one! I really like the recipe for the Yankee Noodles and will be giving it a try. Since I am in the home of the King Ranch, I've grown up with much of that history, as well. There are some very colorful characters in that line. I'm glad you were able to get the book and I've been thinking about getting it, too. Now, I will start to look for it sooner, rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make those Yankee Noodles too - haven't done it for some time. My recipe uses Butterscotch chips in the mix - Yum!
    Glad you found that book at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so, you mix the butterscotch with chocolate?

      Delete
  4. Wow, those Yankee Noodles are from W-A-Y back. Used to make them and love them! Good to see them again! My hubby was the book buyer in the family - for his teaching resources. We just have a handful left from the roomful he used to have - wall to wall - top to bottom of books - now all donated to the seminary library and next generation students. Libraries are great - and cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your last one! haha Isn't it interesting how EXPENSIVE books in museum gift shops can be. Look for it at your local used book store orrr I'm a big fan of Abebooks.com online for buying used books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abe Books had one more expensive...If I remember at the time I searched for it, the book was an autographed one.

      Delete
  6. OMCs Ms. Anni Mom's drooling over the Yankee Noodle Dandies...she loves chocolate too......and dark chocolate is a health food......in moderation of course. MOL
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everything in moderation, even moderation

      Delete
  7. I have bookmarked this page to my Recipes folder. I hadn't heard of Yankee Noodles but the recipe sounds simple enough that even I can make it.

    Thank you for the review of Hansel & Gretel. The trailers look pretty cool, but my husband isn't sold. It looks like a fun, mindless (because sometimes you need that), action-packed movie so I may have to drag him to the theater. Plus, I like Hansel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's not a bad movie in my opinion, and I'm not a 'fan' of this genre. Hope if you make the Yankee Noodle Dandies, you'll enjoy them.

      Delete
  8. Love the Tax e-mail!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked it Cathy

      Delete
  9. That dessert sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to make the chocolate noodle treats!! I was looking to take Ella to a movie today and saw this, but maybe not for a six year old girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, definitely not for 6 yr. olds.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the movie tip. The movie is playing near my house in Tegucigalpa. Our ticket prices are mighty cheap, usually 2 or 3 dollars. I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow....lucky you. Our matinee movie prices are close to 6 dollars.

      Delete
  12. Hi Anni.... My mother-in-law used to make something similar to your Yankee Noodle Dandies. She used the small pretzels I think and the concoction was made with peanut butter instead of chocolate... Hers was called Haystacks....

    Love that last one ---and there is some truth to it since we (the taxpayers) are paying for so much CRAP.... Love numbers 6 and especially 7... ha

    Hope you have a good weekend. We finally got some SNOW this morning... Yeah!!! BUT--it was 10 degrees when I got up early today...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I kinda figured you'd enjoy #7. LOL

      Delete
  13. I don't even understand about the kind of linky abuse you are mentioning, but this kind of linky abuse DRIVES ME NUTS:

    Some people link ANYTHING even knowing it does NOT FIT the linky party parameters! And, they make NO EFFORT to comply and try to make it fit!

    For example, they put a craft tutorial on a vintage linky or they put some article of their own creation instead of fragments on the FF linky. I've even seen them link their own linky party on another link. Really?

    When I see that, I just go on by and refuse to comment there, because you know they are ALL WAITING for my spendiferous comments and by NOT LEAVING any I'm really helping solve the problem. ;-)

    Very funny tax return thingie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that's another pain when it comes to someone linking. I agree.

      Delete
  14. Hi from a CO Gal, I live in Breckenridge, but I have a friend who just moved to CO Springs. Did you know you can now "check out" library books on the Kindle? I haven't done it yet, but I have a blog friend who does. I haven't even thought of Yankee Noodles for about 40 years, but now you've given me a hankering for some! Fun to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by Barb

      Delete
  15. I've seen those Yankee Noodles before but have never tried them. Chocolate on them so they've got to be good...lol
    Love #5. We really do have a lot of dependants

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love when you talk history!! That CO hotel looks amazing!! I don't think I would spend that much money on a small book either. What a bummer though, right?

    I love the ditty about the IRS, that's hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Antlers is no longer there, but they rebuilt it into a colossal monstrosity without any beauty to it. Sad.

      Delete

.