my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Rocky Mountain High...





Hidden amongst the reed, in a shallow pond that meanders into a canal that feeds into the bay waters, a great blue heron is patiently waiting for something that will supplement its diet.

connecting to:
Wild Bird Wednesday





1. When were you last 'on a mountaintop'? You may answer in the literal or figurative sense. In a literal sense, Texas has no mountains except for the west boundaries, and then for me, growing up in the highest state in the union, Colorado, I don't consider the ones in Texas as 'mountains'...they're just hills comparing to the Rocky Mountains. I now live where the area's highest elevation is 15 feet above sea level. The last time I can remember being on a mountaintop would be in Arizona...maybe Kitt Peak. We used to go up there and view the stars and planets at the observatories, a lot...

[this photo is courtesy of Google Search - copyright infringement not intended]


2. Do you establish and maintain a strict budget in your household? What is one piece of financial advice you would offer someone just starting out on their own? On a retiree's income, it's a must to maintain a budget. And to offer advice to someone just starting on their own, I would say to them just as I told my own children ---never outspend your income. Stay away from the use of charge cards and bank loans that have high interest. In other words, buy only what's necessary to survive comfortably, and the fun, unnecessary items will come sooner or later.  Also, if you can, invest wisely for your own retirement in years to come.

3. Cherries-yay or nay? Cherry pie, cherry cola, black forest cake, or a scoop of Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia...pick one. I love fresh cherries. And pie and cherry crisp. Never cherries in ice cream. I don't even like those maraschino cherries atop a banana split or on pineapple upside down cake ---I pick 'em off.

4. Should you ever discuss religion or politics with people you don't know? On my sidebar, one of my favorite religious quotes is visible. [The trouble with Theocracy is everyone wants to be Theo ~James Dunn] Religion or politicking is a personal thing. I don't like those who preach religion to me and their views...so, I don't preach to them...it's between me AND my God only. I admit I post more about politics here, and talk politics [but NOT to whom I don't know]...and my blog is a personal blog, so it's okay to post views even if no one agrees with me. In a way, I have referenced; keeping track of my own thoughts.

5. When you take a road trip do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger? Where were you headed on your last road trip? I'd MUCH prefer to be the driver. I can then stop when I want to stop, and go the direction I want to go. As for the last road trip, I'm thinking to the grocery store...but I'm sure you mean a trip of some distance. In the state of Texas, you can remain IN the boundaries of the state and drive for hours and still be Texas. I guess it'd be a trip to Houston [driving the speed limit, it takes about 4 hours to get there] and then off to the Hill Country this past Autumn. Both Bud and I are home bodies, we took trips about three times a year when we had kids, and were younger. Now, sticking close to home is our 'thing'.

6. If we peeked inside your closet, what color would we say is most prevalent? Probably black. Black goes with everything else I have...T shirts, blazers, skirts, dresses, turtle necks, blouses, sweaters... With black you can dress up or dress down, either way. Is Denim a color? I have a lot of denim also. I love jeans, and jean shorts.

7. Who's your favorite senior citizen and why are they special? Me!!! Just 'cause. [kidding]

8. Insert your own random thought here. Hmmmm, random thought, huh? Seems most times this is the most challenging of the eight questions in Hodgepodge. Maybe 'cause most times I have no thought. And when I do, thinking can 'cause pain. LOL How's that for randomosity? Is there such a word as randomosity? If not, there should be...I like the sound of it.




connecting to:
Wednesday Hodgepodge

52 comments :

  1. Love the silhouetted heron! Hope he got lucky!
    I travel a mountain ridge everytime I go out, cherry Pepsi, never talk religion or politics, passenger, blue, and Santa Clause. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa Claus?!!! Why didn't I think of him!!

      Delete
  2. I love your picture of the blue heron! You are so lucky to have been to an observitory to see the stars and to have lived where there are mountains!! And to have traveled!! And to have KNOWN not to use charge cards!!! (we don't anymore, but they had to ruin our life first...you live, you learn)

    And I know why you are your favorite senior citizen...you are witty....you are kind....you are wise....and you are intelligent. And you have a large vocabulary, whether you use real words or not. *wink wink* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...LOL...large vocabulary...that cracks me up. Love your witty response.

      Delete
  3. The random thought is always the most challenging of the hodgepodge questions, too. I was thinking the same thing this morning, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's like..."What do I post that is so random no one else would come up with in their random thought. And here the two of us comes up with the same idea? GMTA I'd say.

      Delete
  4. I think Herons are such an impressive bird. Nice shot!
    That observatory is really pretty. You're lucky to have one so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it WAS close when we lived in Tucson, but now in Texas, no longer near by.

      Delete
  5. I think you should talk politics with people you don't know - otherwise you will probably offend your friends!!

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made a good observation...good point...and point taken!!!

      Delete
  6. That heron is gorgeous!

    This hodgepodge was fun because it let me know more about you. I remember the first time we visited Colorado and then Wyoming- I thought those mountains must go all the way up into heaven, they way they disappeared into the clouds. I do wish we had more of those here.

    Fresh cherries are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, people who think the mountains east of the Rockies are actually "mountains" makes me smile inwardly, 'cause to me, they're just hills!!!

      Delete
  7. What a pretty picture of the blue heron.

    I'm not much for marachino cherries either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anything cherry flavored...artificial flavoring I don't like.

      Delete
  8. Randomosity-I like the sound-my word for the day. Answer to #2 is so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you too, have 'a word for the day'? LOL, I do the same.

      Delete
  9. Your lovely bird photos could always count as your random thought : ) Technically there are mountains in NJ too, but once you've been on top of the Rockies and the Alps these feel more like hills. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thing is, in all actuality, the photo isn't much of a random thought when it's planned to be added.

      Delete
  10. Nice bunch of answers here, Anni. I climb mountains fairly often, but they don't compare with the ones I once climbed in Colorado, either. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have lots of nice mountains, though! Just shorter ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the answers DJan

      Delete

  11. Lovely pictures! Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always fun reading your answers and great shot of the heron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the heron.

      Delete
  13. I think you and I would get along beautifully...decked out in our black attire! ;) I really can appreciate your answer to #4. What a wonderful capture of the blue heron. We get them around here from time to time on our little lake and I always run down with my camera in hand to snap a picture, but I'm never quite fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...black is so basic in color you can do a slew of outfits with it.

      Delete
  14. Your answer to the first question made me giggle. When I lived in Texas I thought what they called trees looked pretty pathetic. Louisiana trees are tall and stately in comparison. Great questions and answers. Enjoyed learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear 'ya!! Yes, I must say I do love the Bald Cypress in LA. Very much so.

      Delete
  15. Hallo liebe Anni,

    wunderschöne Bilder zeigst du, leider habe ich jetzt den ganzen Text nicht gelesen, da ich heute wenig Zeit habe, aber hab lieben Dank.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sometimes, time is little. And my posts can be very wordy.

      Delete
  16. I totally support making randomosity a word! :D And I always pick off the maraschino cherries myself. Don't like them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ewwww, just the thought of those nasty cherries....ewww.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful photos. I love your answers and hubs and I are home bodies also.
    I would sooner be the passenger as I love watching the scenery, but there are times I'd love to stop and pull over to look even more,hubs not so much.
    Here we don't call them mountains,but the hills.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes....at least that makes two of us...they're not mountains, but hills.

      Delete
  18. Fun post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni you take absolutely gorgeous pictures of birds!! That one would be beautiful framed!!
    I love how it is partially hidden
    You know I love me a Rocky Mountain High too especially when John sings about it.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some John Denver songs too....

      Delete
  20. I love the heron caught in the shadows! I am on a mountaintop a whole lot, we live at the base of Afton mountain and go over it to see the doctors and shop. I think you wanted to know about Cher's name? When we got our Siamese twins, one was named Sunny. And since I always loved Sonny and Cher and wanted them back together, I grabbed my change and name the other twin Cher. Now Sonny and Cher are together again! And I am not letting it stop me by the little fact that they are both boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure glad you explained how you came upon naming your cats. That's awesome Ginny

      Delete
  21. Love your picture! And enjoyed your answers!
    until next time...nel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like your answer about a budget and your advice to young people. Way back when I was first starting out I learned the hard way with a credit card. Now I don't have them except for a couple store cards that I only use occasionally and pay off right away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on the right track now tho!!!

      Delete
  23. The Great Blue Heron is one of my favorite birds. We both like the water and will eat just about anything!

    I lived in West Texas for a bit and, for a Florida boy, considered those hills "mountains"!

    As I usually do with books, tests, surveys, etc., I skipped to the last question. My random thought is that I'll get back to the other questions later.

    Nice blog!

    --Wally in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! You had a lot of questions to make us think! I'll defer trying to answer, but will say you got a great shot of the blue heron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's not MY questions, it's a weekly meme. Glad you liked the blue heron photo.

      Delete
  25. Fabulous shot of the heron, Anni! Always delighted by your answers!

    ReplyDelete

.