my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




It's that time....

Since we don't have cable TV hooked up any longer [which I love the fact], most of my "TV" viewing is online, the day after. Or reading about it online afterwards. Which, this year again, we didn't watch the Academy Awards. I miss it, but here again, Bud and I don't go to many movies these days mainly because we find not many movies produced these days that are of any special interest. Very few; like two or three, in one year's time. This year, it may be a bit different tho, I have seen previews of several upcoming releases that I think might be worthy of seeing it on the 'big screen'. To name a few: EMPEROR, coming out in a couple of weeks [March 8th I believe], THE HEAT a comedy starring Sandra Bullock, RED 2 this summer along with Iron Man 3 and Lone Ranger...ummmm, Johnny Depp? Why not? Anyway, back to the Academy Awards. Of all those nominated, we saw one at the theater. Altho, I enjoyed the stage play much more, I was happy to find out that Anne Hathaway won the Best Supporting Actress award for Les Miserables. She worked hard in the role, and was very deserving. Once the other nominees get released on DVD we'll probably see more. Bud wants to see Lincoln and I would like to see Argo...only for the fact that it won the Best Picture. Movies are still one of my passions, it's just that so many are geared toward the younger generations these days. Oh I like some of the children's animated flicks, I confess. I just like more adult themes I guess.

Okay, so on with a bit of mundane composition here...nothing really of much importance today. We started yesterday, in high winds at times, but I am going to take a day or two off from publishing a blog post simply 'cause this is the beginning of the time of year we do some yard work, getting ready for the hot, steamy summer that will soon be here. We have, as always, annually, a lot of trimming and thinning out to do in our back yard paradise. This year it's gonna be trimming and thinning out the pyracantha [every year, twice a year...ugh!!!] and this week, it will be getting the raised flower bed all cleaned out of the moldy leftovers from the winter AND drastically trimming and thinning out the Bird of Paradise plant [photo - posted three years ago found at this link]. It is so far taken over one section of the flower bed, not much else gets a chance to see much sun or receive any rain water, or from the sprinkler system. Besides, the first sign of over growth is that the plant stops blooming profusely as it should...it needs a good over-hauling. A much needed job of work, and a very long, time consuming project. I won't be able to have much time responding to any comments either...for that I apologize. I hope to return to post more by the end of the week...

Speaking of high winds yesterday, our neighbors two houses down from us on the same street, lost one of their beautiful trees in their front yard. I'm gonna see if I can get a pic of it...it's such a shame...uprooted from the ground. They have younger children, I'm glad no one was out there in the yard at the time.


22 comments :

  1. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...try and enjoy your day too sweet Ms. D

      Delete
  2. ...and so you are heading into spring, whereas i am sooooo looking forward to winter. this summer's been a tough one. movies? well, where johnny depp appears, it's a movie worth watching, no matter the content *wink*, well, almost, anyway, heee hee heee. but i do have to share this with you about my love for the 'big screen' - i once tried to bribe the bean and 3 of his friends with ice creams and the promise of a new play station game if we could leave early... i'm such a baaaad mom.... it's the sitting still part that gets to me.... so Anni, happy spring gardening, show us what you've been up to once those blooms come around, will ya?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Shadow}}} You stranger, you. How have you been?!!!

      Delete
  3. That wind was a killer yesterday. We were driving back from South Padre, and although our car is a big SUV, it was difficult to keep it on the road.

    Your Birds of Paradise are gorgeous- I haven't had much luck in getting them to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was....I can imagine that the winds were pretty hefty along hwy #77

      Delete
  4. what a beautiful Bird of Paradise!
    We don't go to movies often but we did see Skyfall...probably one of the very best Bond's we've seen in years.

    Thank goodness the tree did not fall on the home and no one was outside.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw Lincoln a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The casting and costumes were excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I'll like Lincoln.

      Delete
  6. I had to come back to answer your question. Yes - I made the cherry crisp. Bob says it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good...I'm this close to making another one for us. The first one last week just didn't last long enough. LOL

      Delete
  7. Well, I do hope that the kids wouldn't have been playing outside in a massive windstorm! Shame about the tree, though. I saw all the movies except for Django and Zero Dark Thirty and feel that Les Mis was way better than Argo, but musicals never win. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Broadway Melody (1928/29), The Great Ziegfeld (1936), Going My Way (1944), An American in Paris (1951), Gigi (1958), West Side Story (1961), My Fair Lady (1964), The Sound of Music (1965), Oliver! (1968) and Chicago (2002). All BEST Picture Awards...and they're all musicals.

      Delete
  8. We are having awful winds today. Must have moved into our area. Enjoy your time away from posting. It's always good to take a break and get other things done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I agree about most TV. We do watch news, but even that is so depressing these days. It is important to continue to watch it, though, and to act and vote the way we feel is appropriate or we can't complain about what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never cared much about any of the awards shows. Half the time I can't even remember actors names. I haven't even been to a movie in over 10 years. Can you tell I don't get out much....lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Anni, Sorry about your high winds. It's always sad to see big trees uprooted.

    We didn't watch the Oscars either since we don't go to movies these days. I'm so disgusted with Hollywood anyhow that it's hard to support them.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed the Oscars this year but since we don't go to the movies anymore either (Prices are out of this girls budget) I however would like to see Lincoln. I grew up in IL and it would be one I would be interested in.
    I love your new header by the way.
    Sorry to hear about that old tree. We have one that is dead since we moved out here and even the highest of wind will not blow it down,but it will blow down a tree that is alive. GRRRR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bird of paradise and I chuckle at the yardwork....as mine is still frozen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The winds through our part of North Central Texas have been terrible. We are back into bun ban, which is normal for us now. Love the bird of paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First off, your header is sooo adorable.

    We've had wind, snow, blowing sand...you name it (well, not much rain)such weird weather.

    We missed the awards this year, too. We downsized our Dish Network a few months ago and so we didn't get the channel/s the awards were on. No big deal, tho. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.