“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






It's February...you know what that means

Out come the Valentine's decorations!! Here, at my casa, it's nothing compared to Halloween or Christmas, but I do have to have something out to get in the mood of the season. Oh, and of course, February means my annual Shrimp Fest. Each year for the last 10 years, I've indulged in fresh, deep fat fried, Gulf Shrimp for my birthday. LOL I look forward to that special treat and find myself counting off the days of the calender. But, I'll get back to talkin' red stuff for now. When I was at Dollar Tree last week to purchase the cooking utensil, the splatter screen, for the outdoor bird feeder wreath project, I checked out to see if there was anything I could use to spruce up the tables and hutch for Valentine's Day. And they had on display some new items that caught my eye. Table Scatter. And not the felt type or the metallic foil type. These were molded plastic. Hearts!! Coming in packages of red hearts and packages of pink hearts. I bought a couple of the red ones. Once I got 'em home and opened them to scatter around on the dining room table for a centerpiece, I was wishing I'd bought a couple bags of the pink ones too. The day we went to the beach, I stopped at another Dollar Tree and they had no such thing. On to another Dollar Tree...they too had none. So, I had to make a special trip on another day to go back to the one store I found the red ones; hoping they hadn't sold out of them. They didn't, I bought two bags of the pink ones. Phew...close call. I was set in panic mode after stopping at two other stores. rofl So, now that I had the pink hearts also, I added them to the centerpiece. Small cork topped red heart glass bottles, metallic wire garland of pinks and reds twisted around the bottles, the table scatter all atop a white lace table runner. It's really pretty when the late afternoon sun hits the spot and the sunlight glistens through the red glass. And the garland twinkles in the sunlight and reflects on the table top. Festive, and simple enough to be tasteful and not cluttering the table. Then, I'll move to another room. On the fireplace mantel, I have just my silver, antique candle holders with red candles [of course] and a ruby glass vase holding a vine of baby's breath and red rose buds. This vase and the candle holders are sitting on top of a triple set of red linens that are folded in triangles and draped over the wood carving of the mantel. Also, in the living room, the coffee table has a touch of the red for the holiday...in terms of "love". Long ago, I purchased at Hobby Lobby [maybe it was Michael's] a cute little duo of amour. Two mice. The girl mouse has in her hand, one single stemmed red rose. The boy mouse has in his hand a bouquet of roses for his love interest. They're quite small, about 3 inches in height, made of ceramic, with iron tails that curl around. I put with this, also atop some red linens, and scattered some pink and red hearts table scatter. On the dining room hutch I added some Valentine ribbon that surrounds a couple pieces of carnival glass bowls and added some of the hearts into the center of the bowls. [I have no photo of that on the hutch tho]. And that's the extent of my Valentine decor. Online I found a crochet pattern for heart shaped coasters, but don't know if I'll get to making them in time for the 14th. We'll see.

connecting to:
Ruby Tuesday2





45 comments :

  1. Very pretty...hope you get time to make those coasters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll begin working on them today if I get a break. From blogging of course. LOL

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! Who would ever think it is Dollar Store things?? I have many things to decorate for most holidays, but have found I cannot so much since I got the cats. I would be at the Dollar Store tomorrow, but am afraid they would either scatter them all over the house, or swallow them!!! Wahh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are quite large. I don't think our cats would eat them/swallow them...they're too well fed. rofl

      Delete
  3. Nice decorations! I like the cute little amorous mice especially. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...those two have been around here a while, I too like their 'cuteness'. LOL

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I never decorate for Valentine's day anymore. Now you make me want to check out our Dollar store and decorate before Walter gets here.

    It all sounds and looks very lovely. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as long as I can, I won't stop decorating. I like the change too much.

      Delete
  5. You are the queen of decorating! I love what you've done with the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how to get into the spirit of love! The decorations are just right. And those Dollar Trees- I love them, but their merchandise is not consistent from store to store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that, about the Dollar Tree Stores, I learned the hard way. LOL...I spent probably $5 on gas just driving around to spend $2 at the Dollar store. That's the American way. rofl

      Delete
  7. Pretty and festive! I love dollar stores! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're the best when it comes to trinkets to decorate the home a bit for certain holidays.

      Delete
  8. Love those mice too!

    You're so talented - have a lovely Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shrimp festival caught my eye! I do love me some fresh caught Gulf shrimp - nothing better!

    Hope you can get those coasters done in time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on making at least two for now.

      Delete
  10. I have never thought of decorating my home for Valentine's Day, I wait for my gift of flowers and chocolate.

    I love what you did. The red and pink hearts are too pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would settle for either one. :o)

      Delete
  11. Very nice!

    I don't have that many Valentine decorations, but do manage to have some red cookies around on the big day when I share gifts with those I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cookies? Okay....I could go for a couple of them 'bout now.

      Delete
  12. We don't really have a very strong tradition of celebrating that day here. Well... At least I haven't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hearts...and red, so it's a good time to decorate for me.

      Delete
  13. I really do like the décor and I will have to make a trip to our Dollar tree and see what they have new.
    Ours is small and they don't carry a lot of things like this.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon...what is the url [blogger address for your new blog?]

      Delete
  14. Hi, Anni! Don't faint. I just found your comment on my sad, lonely blog - don't know when you posted it. Glad I went over there today and saw it. I sent you an e-mail - hope you get it! Let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhhh, {{{{Dawn}}}} I just read your email this morning and will catch up with you. I'm so glad to see that you stopped by in your family's troubled times.

      Delete
  15. Anni I don't know what you did before retirement but one thing for sure you could surely do interior decorating after retirement.
    I love Valentine's too for lots of reasons...1 we were married on 2/14/70, and everything is red on Valentine's Day.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like the idea, but I don't relish the idea of a lot of people's ideas of decorating. LOL

      Delete
  16. I never geard of table scatter before. But do like the idea of planned clutter! I have a twinge of envy as you have your fresh Gulf shrimp to be battered and fried - the one time I was on the MS side of the Gulf, the freshest and tastiest seafood was there, same day caught, cooked and consumed. No finer eats than that! Also, the ruby cocktail shrimp is a valentine hue, but add additional lemon and horseradish for the finest gastronomic treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...planned clutter, I like that concept. :o)

      Delete
  17. The only Valentine's 'decorations' I have are on my blog and on Facebook. I don't have any at home.... I do love this month--which I call the month of LOVE --but have never decorated the house except in the Fall and then at Christmas. At one time (years ago), I used to have a wreath on my door --and changed it with each passing event/season... But--don't even do that any longer.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you can see by my post, I love decorating for all occasions.

      Delete
  18. I like your decorations. I used to have decorations for every season and holiday and went crazy with all of them. Not so much anymore but I like seeing other people do it :)
    Oh and by the way, that snow was namn cold....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namn....you know me. I always look for the cooler side of life. LOL

      Delete
  19. I've never decorated for Valentine's. This is a great idea. We have Dollar Stores around here, so maybe I'll go in and check it out. Thanks for the inspiration! Those little hearts are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar Stores are a great place for house holiday decor.

      Delete
  20. Such lovely rubies you have Anni!

    Visiting from Ruby Tuesday.
    My RUBIES
    Your comment is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did visit your Ruby post...the red shoes, I remember the red shoes.

      Delete
  21. How pretty! Love your decorations, Anni. I am with Mari - you are indeed the queen of decorations!

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so pretty and I love the little vases.

    ReplyDelete

.