my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




When you gotta go...you gotta go [aka Nature calls]



connecting photo to:

_ _ _



HODGEPODGE
...this week, Joyce has these questions for us:


1. What is ONE thing or area in your home or life you hope to report is completely organized when 2013 draws to a close? Do you have a plan to make it happen? Hmmmm, this stage of life, organization up and left...flew out the window to never return. Seriously. I can think of one thing that I've already begun to work on...organizing the computer and getting 1000s [over 800 bird photos at this point] of photos burned on DVDs/CDs. But it will only take a few days...not the entire year. To spend a year organizing, it would be a waste of a good year, and life is just too short.. Why bother? Perhaps I should consider organizing my thoughts then?!!?!!

2. What's the worst uniform you've ever had to wear for a job? Well, I can honestly say, I have never had to wear uniforms. My first job was head receptionist at a Chamber of Commerce [wore my own clothes]. I resigned from that position after my first child was born, and didn't return to the outside work force until both of my children were of school age...I then worked as a supervisor at a local high school so I could have the summers and holiday vacations when the kids were home...[again, my own clothes]. From that point after the last graduated and entered the Marine Corps, I worked at a doctor's/psychiatrists' co-op, as a patient coordinator where I assigned a patient after interviewing them to the most qualified doctor that specialized in the patient's needs... until Bud retired and we moved to Arizona whereupon I retired with him. There too, I wore my own clothes. Now my uniform is jeans, shorts, sweat pants.

3. What was your last kitchen 'mishap'? As far as I can recall, it was a broken glass mug that cut one of the floor tiles -- hence, a whole new floor was laid.

4. How do you protect yourself from other people's negativity? Smile a lot. Sometimes giggle at the insanity of some. roflmao

5. Who in your family do you most resemble (physically)? If you have children, who do people say they favor? Do you agree? I look in the mirror each day and see my mother. As for children, my son favors my looks; poor kid!! In fact, after Erik was grown and on leave from the Corps, there once was a time at the store that the cashier thought we were twins. Lordy!!!



My mom [top left] and me [bottom right]
I'm proud to look like my mother, even tho it continues to shock me with my mirror's reflection. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out---if I'm even close to her in any way, that's a good thing!!

This photo, is of my dedication page on my genealogy book. Naturally, I dedicated the book of 300+ pages to my mother. Afterall, if it weren't for her, I'd have no genealogy, right?




6. January 8th is National Bubble Bath Day...will you be celebrating? I haven't had a bubble bath in years. I don't particularly like sitting in water that is full of body residue. Showers I prefer.

7. Some of the 'world's best winter festivals' are - Mardi Gras (New Orleans), Quebec Winter Festival (Canada), Sundance Film Festival (Park City, Utah), Rio Carnivale (Brazil), Sapporo Snow Festival (Japan), Venice Carnivale (Italy) and the Harbin Ice Festival (Northern China). Of those listed (and if cost were not a factor) which would you most like to attend and why? New Orleans, I've been. Tho it's a fun city...it's a grubby one. Each morning, really early, the streets where Mardi Gras is celebrated are scrubbed and sprayed with city trucks...filled with disinfectants/soap. What with the smells of human vomit [and other unmentionables] mixed with the city cleansers...it's NOT something you hear about; ever. And the odor is not too pleasing to your senses either. I guess my druthers would be either going to Japan or China...always wanted to go to the Orient.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Right now, it's raining again. I'm lovin' it. Of course that'll be a whole 'nother story when it comes to keeping up with the yard maintenance when the rain makes the grass grow more quickly. Got a mower? LOL


connecting to:

52 comments :

  1. Ok, I am never going to Mardi Gras! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I'd say go if you can, just be forewarned. ;o)

      Delete
  2. Nice photo it made me laugh and your random thoughts are always most interesting! Great way to learn about the person blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..the more you read of my blogging style, the more you'll know that my mind tends to fall in the gutter a lot.

      Delete
  3. You really do look like your Mom - both beautiful!
    You asked about the flu shot. It doesn't always protect against the flu. What we are dealing with is proof of that. Most of our residents got the shot and many have the flu. However, those who got the shot are recuperating much quicker. There are several hospitals here that also require their staff to get the flu. I don't have a problem with that because if the staff gets the flu, they can infect the patients before they even know they have it. I think our constitutional rights don't supersede the rights of our patients to be protected from it. We are wearing masks now to protect ourselves from it, but usually you are most contagious before you know you have it. Hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the vaccine input. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. When I lived in Nawlins (for 4-5 yrs), we really enjoyed Mardi Gras. We always stayed down in the better part of town --on St. Charles Ave. We loved it... One year, we went to about 28 different parades all over the area... SO much fun (and that was when my kids were teens)....

    We enjoyed the World's Fair when it was there. Since nobody else in the world attended (ha), we 'locals' bought season's passes and went down there almost every day or evening. There was some GREAT eating at the World's Fair.... Best Jambalaya and Bread Pudding I have EVER eaten. YUM..

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's okay, but nothing to write home about. The smells were enough to have me quite happy to turn around and go home afterwards.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, never thought about all that clean up that would have to take place for Mardi Gras, I imagine that would be a mess.
    Like your puzzle from the post below. I like how artists do that picture within a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's the smells that really are something else.

      Delete
  6. Always is fun to see what you are thinking, Anni! I finished organizing the Christmas stuff when we put it away today...and tomorrow will tackle the sewing room. But I think that is probably as ambitious as I am going to get for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU dear Linda make my day when you show up...smilin'

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard that term "head" for the restroom, for ages.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you've grown up with military all around you, the 'head' is always used.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the photo today.

      Delete
  10. happy ww! thanx for joining us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess tourism wouldn't want to capitalize on the Mardi Gras smell, would they? Gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it can be quite gross if you're there when they're cleaning.

      Delete
  12. hmmm...maybe I don't want to go to the Mardi Gras! LOL I love when it rains. Rains is excepted here later today! enjoy your rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's clearing up here, maybe what we go headed your way?!!

      Delete
  13. That's a funny picture.
    Stopping by from the WW Blog Hop, please link up http://savegreenbeinggreen.blogspot.com/2013/01/wordless-wednesday-disney-on-ice.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the little bit of humor with the photo.

      Delete
  14. Hmmm....maybe not go to Mardi Gras then!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just avoid early morning clean-up times. And then, ignore the over-indulger.

      Delete
  15. I have been to N'Awlins and it is bizarre enough even WITHOUT Mardis Gras... shudder... so glad my kiddos were little and were pretty much oblivious to what was going on around there... "Mommy, look at the pretty necklaces!" "Yes dear, just please dear God let them ignore the, er, appendages hanging form them" Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree you need a mother to have a heritage. Your Mom was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, I think she was beautiful of heart and........well, my mom!!

      Delete
  17. I love that genealogy cover. And you're right: without her, there would be no Anni, much less genealogy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Anni? Oh my...what would the world do without me? [kidding]

      Delete
  18. Wow, that must be some genealogy book! What an expensive kitchen mishap, although a new kitchen floor is a treat :)
    Yuck, that description of Mardi Gras almost makes me vomit! I didn't want to go there anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it was expensive, but the cut tile was a disaster area.

      Delete
  19. Your mom was a beautiful woman...as are you. I loved the photo of the two of you. I love blue too but our uniforms were ugly white...with these attrocious bloomer looking legs. I hated them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...bloomer legs...oh you've dated us today. Yep, I remember 'em all too well.

      Delete
  20. Never though about that part of Mardi Gras....I change my answer now! lol! I like your answer for #4 just smile! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, you gotta smile at some of the insane negativity around us all the time.

      Delete
  21. I know! I can't forget how embarassing my training interview at Hot Dog on a stick was. ;o
    I love the photo! Is that in some museum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...it IS a museum...an aircraft carrier that is docked permanently in the bay...turned into a WWII museum.

      Delete
  22. Let me try again. I too am surprised to see my mother's face when I look in a mirror. Not in a bad way, more in a WOW-I'm my mother! kind of way. I especially notice it in photos these days...our smiles are identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the visit Joyce, and hosting Hodgepodge.

      Delete
  23. Had a nice visit here....wish we could have done it in person.
    Thank you for visiting and commenting on my cross stitch. This is the most difficult one I've done and has been challenging at times and frustrating at times but I like the way it is turning out.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I couldn't handle Mardi Gras, but if that's what they do even on regular days, I'm not sure I could handle that. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Orient is one place I've never had the desire to go- but I have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras--you know, to get some beads...LOL AND put some voodoo on a few negative Nellie's around here. :) When I used to take baths, I always did so after a shower. And it was just for relaxing. Now, I just don't have the patience to sit in a bath.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anni, I applaud you ability to answer those questions straight through. I think your genealogy picture is amazing. I know that whole project had to be a great labor of love. I guess I could organize my hundreds of DVD's...but WHY!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You do favor your mom-beautiful. I have never been to Mardi Gras but have heard horrifying stories.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree with you about New Orleans. I have only been through there while on the road with Walter but I was not impressed.

    The answer to your question about next week and the linky is yes and thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE response to the negative people - giggle insanely. GREAT idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The person actually thought you and your son were twins? Does that mean you look young or he looks old? :) That's an awesome photo of you and your mom. And okay gross, now I definitely have no desire to visit New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete

.