my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...stopping at Oleander Point

Recently I read online that our city's shoreline will have a new bronze statue erected at Oleander Point, an extension of Cole Park [along the city's bay shore, near the seawall and the downtown area]. Late in the afternoon, I loved the warm yellow glows of the sunlight, with the deep blue sky as a backdrop. While driving [or walking like we sometimes do] at the seawall on Shoreline Drive/Ocean Drive [the same street - but along the ritzy residential area it's Ocean Drive...while after arriving in the downtown area it changes its name to Shoreline Drive], you can see quite a few bronze statues along the way. Further along, there are fountains, a display that is spaced quite a distance apart which depicts the solar system and all the planets and sun], statues of swordfish, historical figures, airplanes, bird life. Not to mention some bizarre works, but I won't get into that.

The artist's latest work of sculpture is entitled "The Wind Dancer". If you know a bit about folklore and the mysteries of the life of a sailor, you probably have heard of the myth of a mermaid, a siren, who lures men to them only to take them deep into the depths of the sea and the sailors never return. For this particular piece of work, I must admit, it's really NOT a mermaid, but the lore came to mind when I first glanced at it. I like it best of all that are here along the area. "The Wind Dancer"...


From what I gathered after reading about it, she is facing to the south. South because of the fact that around here, the prevailing winds come into the city from the South. At least 99% of the time. She is 'dancing' in the wind atop a wave...and just below her body, in the sea, is a dolphin [which you can see in the first photo posted]. It was a beautiful day...we had walked an hour or so, just drinking in the warm subtropical winter afternoon and enjoying the sea breeze in our faces. As we walked, we did a good pastime; people watching. Being a weekend day, balmy, seems a lot of the populace was doing the same...there were skateboarders, bikers, families out with their dogs, people sitting on the seawall benches feeding the seagulls, and lots of passers-by.

But, let me get back to the new sculpture along the way! It took several hours to hoist it up on its cement pedestal by crane...the weight - 1500 pounds. I found its measurement in height - 16 feet. Of course the material is obvious - bronze. And this particular time of day, with the sun near setting made the bronze cast a yellow glow. The artist - H.W. Tatum. As of this visit on Saturday, the area is not complete yet, so it's still cordoned off for now. When the area is finished, there will be landscaping surrounding it, a walkway to be able to stand by it --and perhaps [just guessing here; not knowing for sure yet] there will be a water feature around the base. The reason I say this is that I saw piping along the pedestal about halfway up/down. If my guess is correct, it will add to the ambiance very well. If tastefully done, that is.

Look closely at the previous image...standing behind the fencing, I'm not sure if this is bronze, I think so...a highly polished bronze, but a starfish clings to her ear as if her jewel of the sea. The artist, H.W. Tatum, of course, hails from Corpus Christi and has donated several pieces of his work to the city. One very popular one is that beautiful statuesque Tejano singer/entertainer that was popular, Selena ...life sized that memorializes her untimely death. Very popular, as I stated. We, at times see many many out of state tourists near her life-sized statue near the marina.

connecting to:
Blue Monday
Monday Mellow Yellows



38 comments :

  1. Anni you find the most interesting art, wildlife and plants around your city and we thank you for sharing.
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the part of retirement where I can find 'em. rofl Thank YOU M&M for stopping by and leaving a nice compliment today.

      Delete
  2. I would love to walk along here and see them in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some are worthy of being call artistic...and all are worth seeing; even the weird ones.

      Delete
  3. I find that I enjoy art, and especially sculptures more, the older I get. It's especially nice to see them when they are set among nature and it's beauty. This looks like it's well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I know is, I liked it a lot.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting statue, Anni... It would have been interesting being there to see that huge and heavy piece of sculpture being hoisted up on its pedestal.

    Not being an artist, my brain just doesn't understand the creativity that some people have. It's amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's all in the artist's eye and mind. You look at a flower and see its beauty, they see something in their mind and make it a 'beauty'.

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful, dramatic statue! Love the energy of the body boldly angled as if a part of the winds! Loved reading the details of these statues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 16 year old daughter and I will be running in a race in Corpus on Sat. that will take us partway down Ocean Drive. I love to look at all the statues and other interesting sites there~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, good luck Saturday then!

      Delete
  7. How graceful she looks! A fine sculpture. I also thought of sea folklore when I saw her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, graceful is a good descriptive word.

      Delete
  8. Wow! 1500 pounds!!! and 16 feet tall!!! That's amazing to me. I especially love the starfish earring and the fact that she's riding on a dolphin's tail.

    I would love to see the Selena statue, too. I loved her songs that they were playing just before her murder. That was really tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of Selena 'til we moved down here. LOL And, yes, it was tragic...the fanatics can be quite scary.

      Delete
  9. Just beautiful. Next time I am in the area, I'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is beautiful Anni. I think to add a water would truly be fabulous.

    Is this anywhere near the Selina memorial? It has been 4 years since we visited and I definitely need to drive down and spend some time with my daughter down there.

    We always go to the beach and I am familiar with the area you describe here.

    Happy Monday and I think we are finally going to have some nice weather here. I may just take my camera, grab me some ice coffee and hit the back roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's about a mile away from Selena's memorial.

      Delete
  11. Lovely shots of a beautiful mermaid sculpture ~

    Carol of A Creative Harbor ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked it Carole.

      Delete
  12. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. Your sky is blue-tiful!

    Happy Blue Monday, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I like that reference "Blue tiful sky"

      Delete
  13. What a fascinating piece of artwork. Lovely captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you enjoyed viewing it with me.

      Delete
  14. i love the movement of this sculpture--beautiful execution.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely statue. Very interesting place for a stroll. I do wish there was more of this by me.
    My blues can be found here here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was late getting around to paying you a visit, but I got there...thanks for leaving me the link.

      Delete
  16. It's a beautiful piece of art. Have a fabulous week!

    Liz (mlc)
    Liz (yacb)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a masterpiece! Catching up with Blue Monday.

    My BLUE, come and see.

    Your comment is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely! A late visit for Blue Monday. Hope you'd find time to visit mine here and here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. better late than never or so they say. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

.