my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Holiday 'leftovers'...

Here I have Valentine decor up on my blog, and in the house a bit here and there, but this post is about leftover Christmas. Yes, 'tis true. I've neglected so many times to post about these little ditties, and while cleaning out the computer the last couple of weeks, I found these images that I shoulda shared a month ago, but too busy with company!! So today, indulge me a bit while I reminisce of the past holidays. After my sister and brother in law left to go back to Colorado, Bud and I went around town to see what items they had in a few of our favorite stores that were marked down. All Christmas items of course. Well, at Tuesday Morning, I found this cute little sweetie with its 'bulbous butt' sitting on the Clearance shelf; marked 50% off!! He's soft, squishy, and really cute. I fell in love with him the moment our eyes met. Love at first sight...all 20 inches of him!! And of course, added him to my ever growing, huge collection. I'll share with y'all a couple more views and angles...

Traipsin' to another 'favorite' store of mine, Bud taggin' along of course 'cause he's got the money. LOL...we stopped at Joann Fabrics. This store not only has crafts items and bolts of materials galore, they also carry a few shelves of in season items for household decor. Well the Clearance shelves were quite picked over...they had an unbelievable markdown!! 70% off all Christmas items. Bud started shuffling and shifting all the stand-up santas around the shelves, hoping to find one still in good shape. And he did. A very large stand alone santa with fur parka, muck-luck type boots, skis. He's about 18-24 inches tall. And, we both knew he'd make another great addition to the collection, as I don't have one that is quite that tall. Next year, I can only picture him standing by the decorated tree. Into the trunk he went with the other bulbous butt santa.

One more stop for sale items, and that was Kirklands. They've relocated in our city, and ever since, they don't carry all that much holiday stuff anymore, but it was a shot in the dark. I've always admired their santa oil reproduction and framed artwork. They had them in the back of the store, leaning up against the doorway to the storage room, getting ready, I think, to get 'em out of the storefront. My luck. But they were willing to sell us one [one less to pack away for them] - regularly $99.00 and we had to pay $30 plus tax. Not bad, being framed under glass and all.

That was 'it' for me. I stopped at the stores I wanted. Well, Bud then told me he needed some hardware for something he needed to repair at home. Off we drove to Lowes. While he was inside the store picking out the items he needed, I walked around outdoors in the garden center. A lady employee was cleaning out the spot that once held the poinsettias, potted pine trees, and christmas cactus. In her gloved hand she had several broken pieces of the christmas cactus and asked me to take 'em off her hands. She told me "Just stick 'em in potting soil and they'll take root." Hmmmmm, she doesn't know me very well when it comes to houseplants. First of all, I have two cats...they love to go on a search and rescue mission to eat and do away with all live greenery. Besides, the house really has no ideal spot for houseplants. It sits on the foundation that is on an angle with the sun; no place for indoor plants to exist very well, making it look like I have a brown thumb. Okay, so maybe I don't do houseplants, I'd rather have them outdoors. LOL But, I thanked her for the cuttings, and took them home and potted them. So far, they haven't wilted down! And the cats haven't found them behind the venetian blinds on the window sill!! That's it for holiday leftovers...got any good recipes for keeping the cactus alive and thriving 'til this coming winter?


connecting to:



36 comments :

  1. We used to have a JoAnne Fabric store, and I loved looking in there for crafts and nic-nacks. They are gone now. We do have a Kirkland and they are really nice. You got some incredible finds for really cheap!!! And gave us some good tips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post today Ginny

      Delete
  2. You found some great deals. The Christmas cactus is pretty hardy and takes root quickly. I think you will do fine with these-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...time will tell. hehehehe

      Delete
  3. Totally enjoyed all these bits and pieces of your wanderings! That Santa and skiis is most unusual! I used to do this kind of wander post Christmas, but now I am on a "reduce the clutter binge" so haven't indulged! When the urge rises, I think of crowds and go wander somewhere with my camera where there's no crowds! Much cheaper and less hassle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you wait long enough after the season, and go really early, you miss the crowds.

      Delete
  4. Anni you will never believe this but I collect Santas too! I have for years. I can't help myself. I love them! I love your little finds.

    Good luck with your house plants. I don't do well with house plants either. I love Christmas cacti like you have planted there and I always kill it.

    I love your post. Happy RT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious? Both of us collect Santas? Cool!

      Delete
  5. I welcome Santa and his cheer at any time of year!

    Dos Niños Rubies

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Nordic Santa reminds me of an Ozark Santa that we have. I don't know if my wife got it at JoAnn's or at Bass Pro Shops. I photographed him for a post last week. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did good! I love both the Santa's.
    My grandma had an enormous Christmas cactus when I was young. I think of her every time I see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sounds like my mom...she was good with houseplants...she had a Boston Fern that nearly covered the entire corner wall in one room.

      Delete
  8. You found some terrific bargains!!! I love them all!!! I want to go shopping with YOU!! Our Tuesday Mornings is a mess. I go in there maybe twice a year because it just makes my head spin to go search for anything. I think the employees must sit in the back and smoke all day because you have never seen such a trashed up store in your life! I really don't know how they have stayed in business. Much like Ross, you have to HUNT for anything you are looking for. My daughter likes doing that...treasure hunting, she calls it. I like merchandise neatly displayed and dusted and clean and in categories. I guess that comes from working 13 years in retail where I had to clean and display the merchandise. I can't stand stuff just thrown on shelves. Sorry...didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Is your Tuesday Mornings neat and organized?

    That was really sweet of the Lowes lady to give you those pieces. Cactus is easy to grow...just don't over water, but you know that. Otherwise, I'll bet you still have it alive and well next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, our Tuesday Morning here in Corpus is quite 'ratty'...but there is a bit of semblance on the shelves. Come to think of it, there aren't very many stores here [except for the mall] that look 'clean'.

      Delete
  9. Such awesome finds, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the Christmas catcuses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a little Christmas out all year is nice - that is because I have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well then, that makes two of us.

      Delete
  12. I should have gone to the sales after Christmas as I wanted to make a stocking for my first grandchild, due in late April. However, I had a total shoulder replacement a week ago and one arm is out of commission for six weeks. I may have to work on it when I go back to India in May.

    My Ruby Tuesday 2 is at:
    http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2013/01/ruby-tuesday-2-mels-diner-san-francisco.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...can I say it then? In due time. You'll make something special, I know.

      Delete
  13. Marvelous finds Anni. We too used to have a JoAnne Fabric Store but they moved somewhere else. I miss browsing around in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's way overpriced in my opinion, but like you, I like to browse.

      Delete
  14. I'm a little late Anni but I just linked to your latest Bird D'Pot post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, I enjoyed your mockingbird shares.

      Delete
  15. It's always fun shopping for Christmas stuff after the holidays. Love those huge discounts. You found some good stuff.
    As for the cactus, I am HORRIBLE with houseplants but I did have a Christmas cactus that I kept alive for several years. It was quite amazing considering how many times it looked near death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too...I buy one once in a while, and then totally ignore them 'til they're brown.

      Delete
  16. I notice there a lot of valentine stuff in the stores around but I notice some places still have great bargains on Christmas items.
    I sort of do Valentine with my “mid winter”...coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, Valentine's decor is cheerful and happy. Good idea for 'mid winter blues'.

      Delete
  17. HI Anni, Wow---you did great with your After-Christmas buys. I love all of them... BUT--that middle one (the stand-alone Santa) really caught my eye... You did GREAT. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled that Bud found this one and it wasn't damaged any. Most times, after holiday sales, the ones left are pretty shabby. Luckily this one was all in one piece and in perfect condition.

      Delete
  18. My cactus did not bloom much last year.

    Catching up with Ruby Tuesday.

    Please come and see my RUBY when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, hope it will next holiday season.

      Delete

.