“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Gnome-body's Home...

Been kinda another busy week. At least the time slipped by so quickly, again I didn't know half the time what day of the week it was. If you were here Thursday to read my humorous British Gas post, then, you know that that was the day set aside to spend a few long hours at my electrophysiologist. After the initial routine questions and answers, he then only wanted an EKG done on me. I was hoping that. A few times ago, he suggested a stress test and I refused, so I guess he thought the better of even thinking it a 2nd time. Anyway, other than remaining on my hypertension Rx, he got up to leave and allow me to prepare to get out of there...as quickly as my legs could carry me as I really hate doctor's appointments, lol...anyway, as he was getting ready to exit stage right, he turned back to me still sitting on the examining table and said with a smile..."You are definitely a success story". I hope it remains that way now for a long long time. It's a stressful few hours for me in there. They call it the 'white coat syndrome'. Yep, that's me.

After that was done, Bud [he goes with me in case I can't drive home] and I stopped at the grocery store and stocked up for the rest of the week and into the weekend. Getting home soon afterward, we put all the purchased goodies away and left again. Only to go to the bookstore, and the craft shop, Hobby Lobby. There was a project for fun I wanted to do. Pictures of the finished sweet thing, you'll find below my text.

At the beginning of the week, one day it was rainy. A good rainy day. But way too warm still for this time of year, the day after the rain...very muggy!! Another day we took the morning and went birding. Among the birds we watched with the binoculars, besides the regular bay birds, as I was walking quite a way ahead of Bud back to the car, I spotted off to the other side of the feeder canal that goes into the bay...in the bushes, a Night Heron. They're so silent during the day, they're rarely spotted....being mostly nocturnal. I watched it after taking a photo of it. It sat there, statuesque, for a few minutes, then turned and watched the canal waters; finally leaving the scene altogether, back in the dense shrubbery. Their red eyes are very hypnotic if you ask me. Stout and sturdy, they are still quite a pretty water bird. After I got home, I uploaded the photos and worked a bit on my birding blog [link on sidebar] to pre schedule a post for the weekend, with photos of a cardinal, a Tennessee warbler, a golden-fronted woodpecker and a couple more photos. We went to lunch one of the days this week at Logans Steakhouse. It's been months since I've had a char-grilled steak and it sounded good. Went to Tuesday Morning [the store] and several others to see what they had with post-Halloween sales. I only found some ceramic witches' boots for 75% at the World Market. They'll look very cute hanging from the fireplace mantel next year. Oh, and speaking of stopping at the book store on Thursday, I found "Doc"...a novel about Doc Holliday of Gunfight at the O K Corral fame. Naturally, it's just the way that I am...I stopped reading The Wild Irish for now and began reading "Doc". This book was reviewed in the newspaper some time ago, and nothing but praise for it. I hope it's as good as said.  Got all the Halloween decorations down and packed away for another year, and put out a small amount of Autumn/Thanksgiving trinkets.  While typing all this, I am thinking of another project, a crochet project, that I should begin for the Christmas season.

Alrighty, then...'nough babbling on and on. Here are some photos of my project, creating his own shadows:



Thanks goes to Ann for showing her visitors her hand-sewn gnome project and telling us about one that she found in a craft magazine. I didn't have any directions, but from her photo I got the gist of the whole concept. BASE -2" wooden ball painted blue. HEAD- 1 1/2" wooden ball painted flesh.  Both, after I painted them, I glued together with wood glue. I cut a strip of white fur for his beard. Purple felt for the hat [the brim is white yarn...crocheted in a chain stitch, sewn on to the felt hat. Wire shaped into eye glasses...moveable eyes glued on above small bulbous [wooden ball] nose also painted flesh. I plan on making some more. :o)




CONNECTING TO:
               Shadow Shot Sunday
               Camera Critters
               Photo Hunt [SEASONALbird migration season---hence the Night Heron]

74 comments :

  1. outta the doc's office with the speed of light... i can just see it, *grin*. i'm the same. to get me to a doctor, or worse, to a hospital, i have to be desperate... so, anni dear, stay healthy, stay strong, and keep posting these delightful posts. love the little gnomes to bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, that's how I got connected with all my doctors....ER.

      Glad you liked the gnome too Shadow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anni! Happy Weekend! I love your Night heron and the cute gnome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all about that white coat syndrome ;) great photos Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then...I really dislike dr.s LOL

      Delete
  4. I knew that your blog would be lovely and seasonal as few others are! *smile*

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  5. Interessante, realmente sazonal! Bom final de semana! Um abraço!

    O mirante da imagem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks...and sending you a friendship hug to you also.

      Delete
  6. That is adorable! Enjoy your weekend and I hope you post more bird photos. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly post photos of my birding over at I'd Rather B Birdin ---link on sidebar.

      Delete
  7. He is adorable! Love that nose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hehehe. I'm in the middle of making his wife today. They're definitely fun.

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear you are a success story, Anni! That's the best kind. At least you got some exercise skedaddling out of there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I am never too idle when it comes to Dr.s appointments. LOL

      Delete
  9. interesting post with cool pix....love those herons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too. I don't see them very often when out and about during the day, so this was extra special.

      Delete
  10. I'm loving the little gnome!
    Happy Hunting y'all~
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're cute, aren't they?

      Delete
  11. Annie , I love your little Gnome. We have a little University of Kentucky Gnome on our windowsill outside our front door. He gaurds our house from the Louisville Cardinal Gnomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Susan, cute idea you've got going there.

      Delete
  12. that is one of the cutest gnomes i've seen anni!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL I too have the "white coat syndrome". I can laugh about it when I get home, but not while I am there. :)
    Love the glasses on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it always feels like a weight of huge proportions lift my body when I get back out into fresh air after appointments. LOL

      Delete
  14. I do love your delightful, colorful gnome and his shadows!! What a fun post for the day, Anni!! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sylvia....hope you too have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  15. Such a cute little gnome. What a delight to have in the garden.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to hear that the doctor's appointment went well. I love your gnome, he turned out so cute. The little glasses are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann, and thanks again for sharing the idea.

      Delete
  17. Love your precious little gnome... Purple is one of my favorite Advent colors!!!!!

    Hope the results of the EKG come out good... I'm like you.. I hate doctor's offices. My blood pressure jumps WAY up when I am in there!!!!!

    Take care and have a good weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I love purple. I'm making his wife in a 'purple dress'.

      Delete
  18. Anni thank you for the medical update...we have had you on our minds.
    Mom also suffers from nurse syndrome. LOL Her BP is always higher when the nurse takes it than when her Dr. takes it. Mol
    I see that bird lurking there in the shrubs
    hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and it stays with me for some time after the dr.s visit too.

      Delete
  19. Love reading about all your week's activities! Always the smallest things become interesting! And I'm with you! I have a doctor's appointment on Monday to get more blood pressure tablets and I really don't want to go for that! And the little gnomes are adorable! Wonderful colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly, I know my body better'n anyone else...just prescribe the meds and leave me be. LOL

      Delete
  20. Doctors exist for our betterment - although many of us would prefer to see one perhaps as they may find something bad? Of course, the visit might bring glad tidings too...

    The gnome is wonderful - he/she looks lifelike as its expression seems to show a personality with that sort-of quizzical look. A work of art that feels real in both subjet and shadow too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but sometimes I feel very differently about SOME doctors I've had in the past...this one is awesome...still, I would prefer not to have to go. Glad you liked the gnome I finished.

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. ...good, glad to know you enjoyed my gnome share today.

      Delete
  22. Nice shot of the Night Heron! The gnome is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the positive and sweet feedback...it's much appreciated.

      Delete
  23. Love your gnome and its shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have white coat syndrome too and my son is a doc. I hope all your tests and YOU are doing great. I like your gnome! Gave a good weekend. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sandie...and you have a good weekend also.

      Delete
  25. Glad everything went well at the cardio-doc. White coat syndrome for me starts before I leave the house!! My doc also told me he did not understand how I didn't have diabetes, kidney issues, elevated cholesterol...he said I must have someone watching out for me. I said yeah, "Me"!

    Please let me know how good Doc is after you are finished reading it. I love the whole Tombstone history.

    The gnome is cool and you should make more! Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so, I'm sure you've seen the classic "Tombstone" movie with Val Kilmer as Holliday? Ever since that movie was released, I picture even the REAL Doc Holliday with Val Kilmer's face. That guy carried the movie.

      Delete
  26. I love the little gnome, so cute. Awesome that you made it from looking at a picture. You are quite talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, to be honest, there isn't much to making them. VERY easy.

      Delete
  27. Praying you always stay healthy, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwwww. that touches me deeply Denise.

      Delete
  28. I love your gnome's hat!

    Scare Crow Shadow
    Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I love your scarecrow hanging on your house.

      Delete
  29. Good news from the Dr. Congrats! I love night herons -- good spotting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they ARE super birds, I agree.

      Delete
  30. I love the pics including your header.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed your visit.

      Delete
  32. Love the gnome, I might want to try making one for my little niece. Thanks for the instructions.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you make one [or more] I hope you post about them!!!

      Delete
  33. I loved the narrative about your week....and the gnome is so beautiful, love the color.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is a delightful gnome!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your gnome, Anni! Just adorable.
    Glad you gave him some glasses. Don't want him to miss anything in gnomeland.

    As you can see by my photo I love gnomes..

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't want to spend a single extra minute in the doctor's office, either. I'm faithful in going for my annual check up, but I consider it a great year if that's the only OV I have to deal with.

    And that little gnome is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then. And thanks for commenting on the little gnome...which, by the way, I dubbed him Zandernook.

      Delete
  37. Your gnome is so cute!

    Visiting late from Camera Critters.
    Your comment on my critter post will be very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

.