my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Screamin' Shadowy Spookies

I love everything Halloween. I've been called the Queen of 'Ween in my family since I love to decorate the house inside and out [tho, we haven't done much outdoor decorating since living in Tucson AZ]. Halloween has not always been the traditional trick or treat and costuming as it is today. Its origins are quite religious through the church and the Celts...it was a Christian tradition. To coincide with All Hallow's Eve, the Spanish Conquistadors found, at the time, in Old Mexico and parts of what is now America [AZ, NM, and TX], the more popular celebration that is Day of the Dead. For this 'holiday', the celebration of deceased family members are remembered and families gather to have their ancestors join in on feasts, fun, and festivals. I understand that The Day of Dead is catching on now, world wide. In any case, in my opinion, most people view the celebrating with evil tones....it's not the case if you keep an open mind and do no harm to others except for enjoying the ambiance you create yourself, and celebrate it with making it enjoyable around you, without any negativity...

...and since I was just a kid some 60 years ago, Halloween has always been a fun time of parties, costumes, decorating. The parties and costumes for the most part I've not participated in since the block parties in Tucson, but I still LOVE to decorate and collect items for the October celebration. Bud likes everything skulls and gargoyles...I like Witches and Pumpkins carved. My Halloween shadows:








CONNECTING TO:

_ _ _



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


Finally!!! We actually had a couple days of coolness. I woke up the past Sunday and Monday to morning temperatures of the low to mid 60s!!! A brisk wind blowing, gray skies, and a wonderful chill in the air. I was elated. 'Bout time. Of course, before mid week, the temperatures began to climb, but all in all I had two great days of weather bliss. Best thing about here, tho the summers are brutal, I don't have to look forward to those wintry blizzards that shut down the city in the months of October thru January or even into March and April like we experienced for decades in Coloardo. And 90% of the time, during the latter part of October through to next summer, in June, we have no threat of hurricanes coming off the coast of Africa or being created in the Caribbean. The one this week, looks to be headed back out into the western Atlantic regions. Also, over the weekend, I spent several hours on the phone. My sister called with their planned itinerary of their upcoming trip to Texas [Houston and Corpus Christi]. We will get to spend a week with them here in town and then, they will spend three days with Erik in Houston while he's on holiday sabbatical from his teaching. Then, Irene called and we chatted for well over two hours...in fact, the phone battery was getting mighty weak and if it weren't for having to have to stop to charge the battery, we may have talked for several hours. But catching up with those two was a good deal. Speaking of phone calls...the place where I took the CD of all my genealogy work for my sister and brother in law also called me this week and told me that the book had been published and printed out with the cover colors I chose and that I could pick it up any time. Needless to say, I was there in a heartbeat!!! The title of the book that I chose is there surnames with "Legacy" behind their names. I'll share a couple pages of the inside pages [all the text has been pixelated for privacy issues of course]...


the cover

my sister and brother in law

...and since he doesn't know that much about his American family, with the help of another genealogist, I received a photo of his great great grandmother [American born] -maternal side of family.

It's printed and bound, all 289 pages of my work, waiting for their arrival [I won't have to send any gifts this year 'cause they'll be here for the holidays.]

As I mentioned above, the entire remaining days of the week were miserable.  The humidity and heat returned.  Was that the Autumn days?!!  Summer has returned with a vengeance.   We're back to 90 degrees and heat index nearing 100 again.  Bummer.  I was so looking forward to no more summer.  LOL  Tuesday we spent all day outdoors in our yard.  Bud got up on the ladder and used the hedge clippers to cut out the long spindly branches of the pyracantha bush that insists on making its home in the tree branches!!  While he was doing that, I cleaned out the flower box and used the electric hedge trimmer on the gardenia and the lower branches of the pyracantha, all the while the hummingbirds protected their feeders that are near the two bushes!!!  I also used the manual hand held clippers to trim out some of the huge lantana bush that was smothering a couple of our variegated hibiscus plants.  After that I crawled back of all the plants in the raised stone flower bed and pulled all the 'wild' grass that was jutting up between the privacy fence and the plants.  We then edged and mowed grass.  Lookin' good!!!  At least for another week or two.  While all this was being done, I happened to notice that the potted Epiphyllum plant had 4 blossom buds getting ready to bloom for the 2nd time this year...this past Spring it bloomed and I figured it was done for the season...but nope. Now this is a night bloomer, so I made sure I went out early one morning in the dark and took photos!! I still have the pictures on my camera, I'll get them and add them to my blog in a few weeks. When I can get time to resize them and get 'em uploaded here so I can share their beauty with y'all. The rest of the week went by quickly, we went birding a couple of mornings, I did several loads of laundry, I remembered to make my annual appointment with my electrophysiologist/cardiologist for the 1st of November. Took the car in to get a safety inspection/sticker that the state requires. We both got badly needed hair cuts, and perused the book store afterward. We bought 3 previewed rental movies for $20 at Blockbuster, The Rite [starring Anthony Hopkins - a priest/exorcist that was based on a true story] <-- not all that entertaining! - The Debt [starring Helen Mirren] - a spy thriller and again just so so. The 3rd one we bought was the BEST one I've seen in a long long time....The Artist!!!! It is bound to become a classic in its own right. Amazingly done. The stars, the theme, the story...all wonderful. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Beware...it's not something you'd expect, unless you know about it beforehand....I knew, Bud didn't ---we both really really enjoyed it. From the first clip to the last. Excellent...finally the Academy actually picked a movie that is WORTHY of the title Picture of the Year!!! [by the way Uggie was awesome]. Yesterday I hulled some of the pecans from the tree in the yard and made a batch of chocolate-mint brownies and used the whole pecans in the recipe....delicious!!! Friday morning, to my surprise, I checked our theaters in town to see if the opening of the movie, Atlas Shrugged part II, was showing here [part one never came to our area and I had to wait for the DVD]....it was at ONE theater, so Bud and I went to the first showing. For those of us who enjoyed the book from the 1950s....you'll appreciate the 2nd part of the trilogy. It's VERY political and shows the corruption of our government [foreseen by Ayn Rand, the book's author]. The ending of part II follows the book's part II...so it leaves you wanting more ---hope part three, the ending will come sooner than later.





32 comments :

  1. What great shadow shots for Halloween!! Looks like lots of spookies will be finding a place to spend the holiday. I'm an Ayn Rand fan, look forward to the movie! Hope you have a great weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I read and have re-read some of her books.

      Delete
  2. Love your genealogy book.. That will be loved and appreciated for many, many years to come... Love it!!!!

    I love Halloween/Harvest also --and usually decorate my house/yard... Haven't done it yet this year, but hope to do it SOON... (I'd better get it done --or else it will be time to decorate for Christmas... ha


    Have a great weekend/week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween and harvest time go so hand in hand. Especially in decorating.

      Delete
  3. Things are definitely getting spooky at your house...I for one wasn't ready for temperatures in the 40s and 50s as we had this week....Autumn should be 70s day time, don't you think. I'd like a little time to enjoy it being cooler before we hit winter....
    Love the genealogy book, great gift.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the winters as long as they're mild. LOL

      Delete
  4. We all have memories, generally all very good, about friends and family that have departed. Why not a holiday to remember them? The weather sounds idyllic in CC for a couple of days anyway - I like the 60s (which are mostly fleeting as the days get colder) - of course the seasonal nice days are often interrupted by the usual heat in your case...Chocolate mint? Send some up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 dozen chocolate mint brownies...comin' right up?!!!

      Delete
  5. yummy snack there anni...love all the spooky decor!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Robin, glad you liked it.

      Delete
  6. Wow what a post of weather, book publication and Halloween activity! Incredible reading! Your Halloween atmosphere was particularly intriguing! Wonderful drama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...how are you sweet Denise?

      Delete
  8. Those are very cool Halloween pictures, Anni. I love you are the Queen of 'Ween, that just cracked me up. That genealogy project is very impressive and the book should make the most unique and awesome Christmas gift. Very creative. I liked The Debt and have The Rite (not watched it yet) but I am not sure I can get into a silent movie like The Artist.

    Sorry the weather didn't stay...I too am looking forward to some sustained cooler breezes.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh yes, me too....cool would be so much better. And way too long in comin'.

      Delete
  9. Love your Halloween pictures, Anni. I too LOVED The Artist and felt it was a perfect movie in so many ways. I could see it again and again, so your validation went a long way to taking me to a third viewing... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I'm sure it's destined to be a classic movie.

      Delete
  10. Hi there - I think its fair to say that you go to more trouble for Halloween than I do! And the brownies look great.

    Thanks for the comment on my other blog - Tony Abbot is the leader of the party that will probably form government after the next election. This means he will probably be our next Prime Minister. I dont think this is a good thing!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha....now I know who he is. Any politician is not all that 'good' these days.

      Delete
  11. Love that witch! I'm not so big on the skulls, but witches are cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know me....I love me some witches. LOL

      Delete
  12. So spooky indeed!

    Vegetable Universe Shadows
    Have an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, spooky...but all in fun.

      Delete
  13. Very cool decor! You certainly have captured the quintessence of Halloween!

    Have a blessed Sunday, sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, hope you had a great Sunday too.

      Delete
  14. Queen of ween - love that name - you sure do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BOO!!! you certainly do love Halloween!Great pics! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, you certainly fit quite a bit into your week. The book must have been an exciting project. I've compiled data and stories on nearly 4,000 family members (3,981 to be exact-- I just looked it up in my Family Tree Maker) and planned to create a narrative "some day," but it is such a daunting task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I try to keep myself busy somehow. LOL And yes, family data is a very time consuming and as you say 'daunting' task.

      Delete

.