“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Cool Shadows on an Island....



Welcome to my home.

I am a live oak tree and I am very old. I have seen spring return more than a thousand times. I can remember hundreds of hurricanes, most I'd rather forget, but I withstood. There was a big fire once. I hate fires. Around me are my offspring. We are an old-dune woodland community. We provide shelter and acorns for squirrels, jays, raccoons, bobwhite, deer, javelina, and most other members of our community. For most of my life I belonged only to myself. Now I belong to you, or so I'm told. Humpf! Branch breakers and root tramplers the lot of you. Some years ago someone came and patched my cracks, trimmed my dead branches, killed my pests and healed my fungus rots. Was that you? I'm feeling much better, thank you. I am tired now. You may leave me in peace when you are ready to go. Please leave my home as you found it. I have important things to do. The seasons are changing again and I must get ready.






Along the banks of Capano Bay, in the live oak community and Goose Island State Park [Texas], stands the reported largest and probably oldest living Live Oak Tree. Lovingly dubbed by the locals - "The Big Tree". Again, reportedly, it's world renowned. Several visitors from all over the globe travel to see the magnificence and beauty of this wide-canopied natural phenomenon. I've been to the island a few times but never with a camera. This past week, with camera primed in the car, Bud and I made a side trip out of the park's boundaries to drive to the tree so I could take photos of it and share some of its history with you while relaxing in its cool shadows on a warm, blustery Autumn morning [by the way, they ARE evergreen]----

---tree's timeline:
1000 A.D. from a small acorn.....a mighty oak tree 2000+ A.D.
[images can be enlarged]



By the numbers:

11 feet across the base of the trunk at ground level
35+ feet around
44 feet tall
89 feet across the crown [full canopy]
and....over a 1200 years old


Shadows everywhere you look:






The photos I share are mostly images I had to use the zoom lens because the tree is protected by fencing all around. I wanted to show detailing of its bark, silhouette of its majestic beauty, some gnarled cuttings/overgrowth, signs of diseased outbreaks, branch growth, giving y'all a time-line frame of mind of over 1200 years of existence.



[bottom left image, if enlarged, shows details of continual added support of its colossal weighted branches - bottom right is partial sighting of its canopy spread]


CONNECTING TO:
           Shadow Shot Sunday







SAVE THE TREE [1000-1200+ year old tree] from a two year drought.  Read more.

42 comments :

  1. It is a magnificent old tree! Thanks for sharing your pictures with me, Anni. I think all trees are wonderful, but this one is not only old and wise, but beautiful, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and there is a 'still quiet' ambiance surrounding this mighty oak. It's hard to describe.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! I love trees, especially live oaks, especially the big, old ones. We made sure we saw the Angel Tree when we visited Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud likes Live Oak trees too. My favorite are Bald Cypress....and least the Southern trees, that is.

      Delete
  3. Incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so AWESOME, Anni, and your captures are superb!! Thank you for including the history/information, I love it! That tree does provide amazing shadows for any day!! Incredible! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sylvia, glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful series of shots telling the story for us of the old oak. It is certainly an impressive tree with its twists and turns. Memorable indeed. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it'll blow your mind if you see it in person. Thanks Genie.

      Delete
  6. i love this tree!!! thanks for all the info on it as well. amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed it Robin...yes, it all is so amazing.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for going through all that effort! I appreciate seeing all those details and I had no idea (or forgot) that an oak tree could live that long! Wow. So impressive on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your positive comment made my afternoon Paula.

      Delete
  8. I have never seen such a grand old tree like this one! So adore the voice you gave the tree! An intimacy that is so enchanting! I keep scrolling back and looking at your photos and I'm totally mesmerised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your comment makes my heart sing 'cause I was debating whether to share it all with everyone.

      Delete
  9. That is TREE! Its age cannot be in doubt, the stout trunk able to hold up the massive limbs. It seems that this tree laughs at hurricanes as it has withstood many a Gulf hurricane...an amazing tree, like Texas, it is bigger than life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh that last part of your comment'll make any Texan proud!!! :o)

      Delete
  10. I love live oaks! This is a wonderful specimen. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post Mari.

      Delete
  11. What an amazing looking tree. This one certainly has withstood the test of time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...definitely a marvel of nature.

      Delete
  12. What an interesting tree...
    I like Halloween, too. It was my favorite holiday, behind Christmas,as a child. I had lots of fun with my kids and then my grandkids. Little GREAT-GRAND isn't quite big enuf to handle Halloween yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful tree, i know that trees have a natural life cycle but this old speciman should be given all the help it needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...keep pampering nature and it'll take care of US

      Delete
  14. Truly a Mighty Oak! Wonderful photos of the tree. I bet it was an amazing sight to see. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and a happy Sunday to you too.

      Delete
  15. Wow, reminds me of the one in South Carolina that you can walk up to. What a beautiful tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, the Angel Tree I believe.

      Delete
  16. Awesome and grandiose shadows!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow...thanks for lifting me up!!

      Delete
  17. I love that tree Anni - has such character and bet it could tell a long story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, if only it could talk.

      Delete
  18. Thank you for visiting this tree and telling us about it. I love old trees. If you put a hand to the trunk of an old tree, you can feel courage, devotion, steadfastness and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....what a poetic movement, I must try it soon.

      Delete
  19. Oh Wow---that tree is awesome. Hope you all can SAVE him.. over 1200 yrs. old, huh???? That's truly amazing.... If that tree could talk, imagine the stories he could tell... ha
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be definitely an enchanting conversation to be sure.

      Delete
  20. Such a humongous tree!

    Playful Shadows
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is....it boggles the mind standing next to it and being dwarfed by its size.

      Delete

.