my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Shadows at the Marina...


Early in the morning, there are days Bud and I walk along the boardwalk at the Marina, downtown. It's especially fun to watch the most silent of pelicans and seagulls flying and cackling high above in anticipation for the shrimp boats to come back in. The anticipation is for all the refuse of the small fish from the shrimping nets that are not wanted and the shrimpers toss it all over the side of the boat...then the ruckus!! And bird bickering. When all that scene has calmed down and the shrimpers set up their catch of the day to sell to all us humans who want to buy the biggest and the freshest, Bud and I continue our walk...along the multitude of yachts that are moored; amongst the many shadows that are cast around us. I love to hear the gentle lapping of the water slap against the hull of the yachts, and the clinking of the lines and hardware tapping against the masts....steady and consistent; a bit relentless, but never oppressive. To me, it's a tranquil, peaceful setting...when these sounds are combined with the distant call of a seagull and the breeze carries a slight salt water odor. Awwwww, a piece of heaven on earth!!!



CONNECTING TO:





_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


Since I didn't post last week...the biggest item on chore list was that I completed the months'-long project of a Norwegian Genealogy! I must tell you this, a long time ago, when the four of us [Bud and I, my sister and brother-in-law] were out dining, the conversation had something to do with family backgrounds. My BIL is only second generation American, his father migrated to America from Norway ---anyway, he was being silent while the three of us were conversing...all of a sudden he popped in with "We're all Norwegians here!". Well, that has become a family motto as far as the four of us are concerned. Ya, we're poking a bit of fun on him, but it's just something that stuck and it's used in conversations now over and over. I also must add that the cover page I designed has that quote --- The page consists of a black silhouetted tree with a large canopy....shaded a bit and the quote below the tree, before they'll peruse the book ---states--- "We're All Norwegians Here...." I know my sister will like the reference. Anyway, over 200 pages of family history, Norwegian, Scottish, German, Irish, and of course American heritage will be encased, and this past week then, I took the disc in to be bounded on paper with my love to the two of them. One thing, while having a genealogist librarian help me with some history, I found out, and didn't realize this 'cause my sister and BIL don't talk much about the subject ---His father froze to death while trying to get home in the blizzard; white out conditions in Colorado --in 1949...February to be exact. The month and year I was born!!! The obituary was a shocker. Of course it's been added as a page in history....but, I learned of the hardships for this family and the successes along with it all. Amazing.  Bud and I celebrated the feat by going out to dinner...a steak dinner!! Then, we stopped by Spec's Liquor and picked up a bottle of chilled wine. I saved the bottle --- it had such a beautiful LONG neck and clear glass composition. I made a 'witchy brew' Halloween decoration out of it --see it HERE. I also treated myself for a job well done by making a double batch of Rice Krispies™ treats. I'm enjoying those!!!! ...they are always so tasty and satiates my sugar appetite when I'm craving something sweet without chocolate. LOL I caught up on loads of laundry, did a bit of yard work and replenishing the hummingbird feeders and seed holders around the yard while Bud trimmed the bottom section of the huge gardenia bush. On another note, taking breaks here and there we did take in a couple of short birding trails during the week. And one morning this past week, we were preparing to get in the car and go hawk hunting since the beginning of September it's hawk migration season and there is a particular area about 20 miles northwest of Corpus that two migrating 'highway's intersect and hawks galore. Well, there is an old saying "Well laid plans of mice and men"......we didn't go birding afterall. Turning over the key in the car's ignition didn't sound right. The engine did finally kick over, but I was certain the battery was at fault. So, we drove to the dealership and sure 'nough, the battery was NO GOOD...in need of replacing....or so the diagnostic test printed out. Okay, so we had to sit and wait for that to get done. And, there were 6 cars ahead of us in turn. Wasted nearly 2 hours .... waiting!!! I'm just glad it happened while we were still at home, before we went out in the boondocks. Otherwise the towing cost would keep us from going anywhere else soon. Y'know? Oh yes, and I went to the store to find some jute and some Autumnal picks from the craft shop to make another decoration for the house. Something that another blogger shared [I'll link up to her blog when I finish my project --stay tuned].




24 comments :

  1. Hi Annie what a great Sunday post and Sunday Summary. You and Bud stay mighty busy...how did you ever have time to work outside the home. Thoroughly enjoyable post!!
    Happy Late Saturday and Sunday
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, we try to keep ourselves active and busy somehow. And this time of year, now that it's getting cooler, we'll be out and about more often. yay!!

      Delete
  2. Cool lady... love the "Relentless" shot. Very calm out there.

    Happy SSS,
    /CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is!!! Calming and serene and beautiful...especially in the early morning hours of quiet in the city.

      Delete
  3. Yay for finishing that geneology - that's a huge project! I love the sound of that cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy to get it done as far back as I could. 'Cause it became VERY confusing with the Norwegian style of naming their children/sens and datters.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely picture, love walking around boats and seagulls. Last week I got to walk along a beach and enjoy them, the seagulls that is, the boats were too far out and I didn't get down to the marina. Your genealogy project fascinates me. Gregg's Dad's side of the family is Norwegian and I have enjoyed the stories that have been passed down through the generations. I'd love to do something with my English side. Loved the wine bottle decoration, and enjoyed your post immensely. Thanks Anni, glad you weren't stuck out in the boondocks when you had your car trouble by the way. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the Sunday's Summary and the shadows on "Relentless". Yes, walking along the marina's boardwalk can be therapeutic!!

      Delete
  5. The marina does sound like a wonderful place to take a walk.
    Jute and autumnal picks, I know what's on your to do list. Especially since you also picked up that stick while you and Bud were out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmm, I think you got clues here...and I think you're guessing correctly. Feel better Ann.

      Delete
  6. Yep, a piece of heaven on earth. I love Rice Krispie Treats, too. Glad you had your car checked out before heading out ... saved $$ on towing costs for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....yep, the battery cost compared to towing expense...means a couple nights out for dinner instead. LOL

      Delete
  7. That family history story is pretty cool. I am sure that project kept you busy and excited for a while. Love Rice Krispie treats...just can't eat 'em any more! :(

    Really smart not risking the the car on a rough start...would have ruined what probably would have been a good day at the hawks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, tho it put a damper on our plans, I'm just glad it happened as it did...I would NOT want to pay towing charges for that distance to get the car back to the shop!!

      Delete
  8. Great shadows on the boat. If I lived near the beach, I would probably be there everyday. Especially early in the morning, my favorite time of day on the beach.
    I bet your sister and brother-in-law are going to love the genealogy book.
    This past week must have been the week for batteries to die. My daughter had similar trouble with her car. She was not as lucky with it not starting at home. She was at a restaurant when hers decided to die. Thankfully her boyfriend was able to jump start the car and she drove it to her dad's shop where he replaced the battery.
    Rice Krispie treats...haven't had those in years.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....mornings for me too!!! Glad she had a boyfriend who could jump start her car. Loved your park photos today LHG!!!

      Delete
  9. I know you are glad to have that finished! What a labor of love...I am sure it will be cherished for many years! And glad you didn't get stuck in the boondocks...which reminds me...that might be a good song for a Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you did a lot of... waiting! The sound of birds bickering, I never thought of it quite like that! Very descriptive, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the name of the boat!


    Family Shadow
    Have a blessed Sunday.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. indeed nice shadow crop and too the narrative,

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there Anni. I have always wanted to walk along a beach. I would love to be able to take my girls to one before I pass on. We have alot of friends that goes to the beach each year and they take pictures and post them on Facbook and they are just so beautiful. Sounds like you and Bud enjoy your walks along the shoreline. Oh, and by the way, thanks for letting me know where that Port was. I thought it was near Arkansas. I learn something new each day. hahaha. I love your wine bottle. That is so unique looking. Oh, and the Rice Krispies look yummy as well. I've never made them, but now you can buy them already made. That is how I like them. LOL. Take care my friend and enjoy the rest of your evening.

    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your description of the lapping water and birds and the sea.
    We are leaving for our annual trip to the beach in a few days, and your photo and writing reminded me of why we scrimp and save and abandon our children for three days every year.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete

.