my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




...a day in the life....


Found: Sand Dollar on Whitecap Beach - Padre Island, Gulf of Mexico



_ _ _


MONDAY MORSELS

If you've read the few most recent posts, you know that during the month of September through the end of October, there is an area just north of town, on the outskirts of Corpus Christi, in a small suburb called Callallen, Texas, there is large area of land, now a park, that was donated to the city/county by a woman who long ago was an avid birder. In her stipulations of granting the city the land it was to remain a wild area for migrating and year 'round birds. There is the Nueces [pronounced new ACE ees] River that borders the northeast side of the park, along with a large pond in the middle, with a couple of smaller ponds just to the other side of the larger one. Upon keeping this area a remote area, and yet making it birder/family friendly, the city and county has added several amenities...picnic tables along the riverbank, several observation decks hidden in the palm and live oak trees on the heavily wooded area of the larger pond. And a small paved road that encircles the flatland in between!!! This is where there is a world renowned hawk migration that occurs annually. HUNDREDS upon THOUSANDS of several species of hawks use the two thermal highways [migrating routes] that intersect over this particular park. After the day of getting the car's battery replaced, we did go the following day. We saw just a few hawks flying above us at such a distance I couldn't easily photograph them. That's okay...makes me want to return before the end of October to perhaps get luckier another time. While there the other day, just beyond the tree lined area to park cars, across the road, there is a vast, covered, observation deck that looks over the tree tops, over the pond and river bank...you can see with a good pair of binoculars the great open prairie land beyond [not the one in photo here, I didn't take a photo of the larger deck]. There are several boards posted to let us know just what hawks/and other birds have been noted in the recent days. Bud and I looked through our binoculars for some time, like maybe a half hour...and knowing me, by then, it was about time to do some trekking around the pond. We usually park our car and walk around the road and into the bush/trees to find other birds. This day, we saw caracara, scissortail flycatchers, doves, cardinals, green jays, hummingbirds, ibis, herons, stilts, egrets, ducks, and more. Oh, and a couple of vultures way above us...with the one lone hawk. After getting back into the car to drive around to the other side of the pond -- driving along the river bank, we stopped at the family area, where there are more picnic areas and a small playground for children. Parking under the shade of the huge live oak trees, we got out to walk around in search for land birds. Once out, and into the area amongst the trees, we spotted a NEW, and still being constructed birding observation deck that looks onto the pond from another point of view!!! While there, this is where we spotted the hawk. I was totally impressed with this yet unfinished deck...it will be lighted for winter night time viewing ---at least around dusk and just after sunset - the park closes at 9PM. Anyway, to stop babbling on and on, I read in my hawk report newsletter that this year, this particular area will perhaps count the millionth hawk migrate since they began keeping track in the early 1990s. Twenty some years...a million hawks flying over...that is a lot of hawks!!! On this particular day, I managed to take 47 photos...and only 3 were blurred. LOL So, there will be added photos on my bird blog!!







CONNECTING TO:
studio waterstone

46 comments :

  1. that looks like the perfect place to hang out and relax...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is always fun to walk and sit and try spotting birds!!! Especially when the weather is just right.

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing photos of the migrating hawks! I saw a hawk flying yesterday when I was at my aunt's home, but the camera was still in my bag...another missed opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, as I said, we didn't see that many hawks while we were there, so no photos of hawks for now. But got dozens of OTHER bird photos listed.

      Delete
  3. What a great place. Love to visit these places when we are traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are quite nice....especially when school is in session, and no weekend where the place is crowded and noisy!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like my kind of day....now to go see the photos.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I didn't post that I have photos up on my blog of this area. Don't misunderstand...I just wrote I TOOK a bunch of photos that day.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful donation. Great find on the sand dollar....I have yet to find one in all my trips to the beaches in here in Florida...need to go a bit further south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain times of year sand dollars can be found by the bag full around here.

      Delete
  6. You are so fortunate to have this so close by. I would be there often to watch the migration. What a very cool place! Thanks for sharing it with me, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be there at least once a week myself...there are so many other places to go to, that I just can't think of choosing one and spending so much time in one spot.

      Delete
  7. I love to find sand dollars ... we usually find a LOT in Hilton Head, mostly live ones, so they stay in Hilton Head. ;-) Even though they're fairly common there, it's still exciting to me when I find one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day Bud and I picked up 79 dollars here....that's sand dollars.

      Delete
  8. Great post!
    Happy Mellow-Yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Hans.

      Delete
  9. oh I wil love seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Annmarie...I have tons of bird photos, I'm not sure just when this week's pics will be posted.

      Delete
  10. Our neighbor just gave my kids a bunch of sand dollars they picked up in California. Beautiful shots Anni.

    Visiting from Mellow Yellow Monday.

    Here's a fun post for MYM
    SS Kenny

    As always, your comment will add delight to my day. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that SS Kenny is so cool!!

      Delete
  11. I love sand dollars...
    What a generous lady to donate the land for bird watching
    I might there several days a week
    Hugs
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too M&M!!! Sand dollars are pretty. As for the lady donating....there are several areas for birding that has been donated by people.

      Delete
  12. Wow that sand dollar is so pretty!


    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they all are...Each and every ONE I find. [whole ones that is]

      Delete
  13. Love the picture of the sand dollar. That's a lot of hawks. Very cool. This sounds like a great place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's okay. I like it mostly 'cause of the scenery and tons of different birds.

      Delete
  14. I tell you what - you live in such a great area with so many beautiful places to see and animals - you don't need tv! lol Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to laugh at your closing line - been there myself. :)
    Great closeup of the sand dollar! I remember finding my first one on a vacation many many years ago as we traveled through St. Augustine Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're so amazing...yet, so fragile.

      Delete
  16. What an amazing place to be living, to see all those beautiful winged creatures! The sand dollar is a great shot--it tells its own story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked it Betty.

      Delete
  17. I always enjoy my visits to your lovely blog, Anni! Love the photos!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have the most amazing adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you enjoyed this a bit Linda.

      Delete
  19. The sand dollar is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this shot!!! It speaks to me of long walks on the beach in the late afternoon, early evening....warm...with cool water nipping at my bare feet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh yes....yes...now you have made me want to go back again today.

      Delete
  21. I love the sanddollar shot. Very nice. It sounds like the wildlife area is just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...at least for birding this area is awesome.

      Delete
  22. Love the sand dollar shot!

    ReplyDelete

.