“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Oh...please. Just CAN it!!

I feel an explanation is in order here....Is there something in this world you'd like to CAN? As in arrest? Stop? Suppress? Shut-up....permanently? No, I'm not talking about the rap music and the vibrating cars going through the 'hood because the rap music is way too loud!!! I'm talking about one particular insect. I honestly learned something this week...what I thought it was and what it really is!! None the less....I really dislike their 'music'!! This particular BUG just drives me up the wall. Always has, even since childhood, and the hatred has grown over the years. During the summer, they become quite active. And their "winging it" makes me want to pull my hair out. In fact this last month, the days we've gone birding...while walking through the heavily wooded areas in some parks, like the girl in Poltergeist...."They're-re-re-re Ba-a-a-a-a-ck!!" By the time we've walked the distance we walk and the photos are taken if any bird activity is around us [once, at Bazemore Park, they were so loud, we couldn't hear each other as we whispered upon spotting a bird here and there!], I must say, I'm happy to get back into the stuffy car and ignite the engine to drown out their NOISE! The quiet hum of the car's air conditioner is what I call relief. Y'know what I mean? How do you spell relief? Get out of the park, away from the incredible noise of the bugs!! Actually, a sentence or two ago, I said "I learned something". Well, I did. Being born in Nebraska, these bugs would wake me up and be there at night in the summer when I was trying to sleep. Gawd-awful racket!! In Colorado they weren't so bad. Anyway, I called them katy-dids 'cause that's what they were/are in Nebraska, Bud and I argued...he called them cicadas. I, in fact, thought they were the same thing. In Tucson, they even had a legend associated with them --don't know how true it all is, but when you hear them making their racket singing, it's to be 6 weeks 'til rain falls. In Texas, I beg to differ....tons of those buggers, and still no rain. While at one of the Audubon Birding areas on the island this week, walking along the boardwalk to the gazebo to sit in the shade and watch for birds, the cicadas were surrounding us with a cacophony of misery!!! Yes, cicadas....I hate to say this, but I must admit, Bud was right. Cicadas they are. Katy-dids are all green [even the wings]! Cicadas are the ones in Texas. And, I got pictures to prove it....





CAN it!!!! Will-ya?


CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters



August Themes for Photo Hunters
3rd ~ Oooooo
10th ~ Numb
17th ~ Can
24th ~ Chocolate
31st ~ Quiet


_ _ _


WEEKEND FUNNIES


One fly to another fly: "Your human is open"

*

A scientist was complaining to a fellow scientist that his colony of fruit flies, for some unknown reason, had never mated in his glass enclosure. Given that his experiment required several generations to complete, this was causing quite a problem. The visiting scientist told him that he had experienced a similar problem at his lab and it resulted from the slick glass walls of the enclosure. Apparently the flies mate while crawling along the glass walls of the enclosure. "Your glass is too slick," he told him, "but I have just the remedy". The second scientist asked for a bottle of table salt and some flour and water. He mixed the concoction and brushed it on the glass walls. The flies began crawling along the surface and mated immediately.

"My problem is solved," exclaimed the firstscientists, "If only I had known that flies need
monosodium glue to mate!!"

...next two are groaners:

Every night, Joe would go down to the liquor store, get a six pack,
bring it home, and drink it while he watched TV. One night, as he
finished his last beer, the doorbell rank. He stumbled to the door
and found a six-foot cockroach standing there. The bug grabbed him by
the collar and threw him across the room, then left.
The next night, after he finished his 4th beer, the doorbell rang. He
walked slowly to the door and found the same six-foot cockroach
standing there. The big bug punched him in the stomach, then left.
The next night, after he finished his 1st beer, the doorbell rang
again. The same six-foot cockroach was standing there. This time, he
was kneed in the groin and hit behind the ear as he doubled over in
pain. Then the big bug left. The fourth night Joe didn't drink at all. The
doorbell rang. The cockroach was standing there. The bug beat the snot out
of Joe and left him in a heap on the living room floor. The following day,
Joe went to see his doctor. He explained the events of the preceding four
nights. "What can I do?" he pleaded. "Not much" the doctor replied. "There's
just a nasty bug going around."

*

A West Virginia chemical company will open a $15 million insecticide unit to replace one that was destroyed in a 1993 explosion that released 45,000 pounds of toxins into the environment. Company officials said they are confident that they have finally gotten all the bugs out.

48 comments :

  1. I have heard them in the French Provence...where you find them pictured in all souvenirs :)

    photohunts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pictured in souvenirs? OMGoodness, whatever for you wonder?

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever heard cicadas before, Anni, and now I don't think I'll be rushing down to Texas to hear them, either. And you're right: they were groaners but they still made me laugh! Thanks for the morning funnies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you lived in Houston, right? Trust me, you've heard 'em and didn't know what they were.

      Delete
  3. I don't care for cicadas - you can keep them!
    I love the jokes - especially the nasty bug one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you! They are too noisy and on top of that, they are scary looking critters! One must have been taking a nap on our back gate. I didn't see him and actually touched him. He made a terrible noise that scared me. I bet I jumped back far enough to win the long jump at the Olympics! It's a wonder I didn't break something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh man, you and me both. I'd be making my own hurdles 'bout the time I'd touch one.

      Delete
  5. Those cicadas are deafening! Great captures though. I can never seem to see them, just hear them from miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...deafening is correct. At least for you and me.

      Delete
  6. we've had 'em singing loud and proud for a while up here this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....but, do you like their sound?

      Delete
  7. once again... you have me hootin'
    Can it is right :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....it's gratin' on the nerve cells.

      Delete
  8. Great pics! I do love their music though... it's our summertime jazz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to relay what you call it....Bud will appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. I love the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just like Bud...he likes their sound also.

      Delete
  10. Great bug pic, I would imagine, it's a tough one to catch. I'm not a huge fan of bugs. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me either. I think the worst for me of the 6 legged ones, is ants.

      Delete
  11. Great shots Anni!
    Noisy bugs for sure. I had to smile at 'summertime jazz'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I know, me too, but my smile was more omg type, 'cause I didn't agree, Bud did however he nodded in agreement.

      Delete
  12. We have a lot here too.

    My Critter post, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...for me, ONE is too many.

      Delete
  13. Gee I don't think we have an bug that looks like that. Sort of look like a Beatle. As I was reading your post I thought you might be talking about a cricket. Personal I find crickets soothing.
    Mine is up and the coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like crickets too, but when there are literally 100s of cicadas all 'singing' at once, it's way too loud and grating.

      Delete
  14. Funny take on the theme! Love it!

    http://tc-twistedfairytale.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-saturday-photohunt-can.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's me....'funny'. Some family members call it by another name tho...crazy, weird, strange. Stuff like that.

      Delete
  15. Those photos are great of your annoying bugs Anni. For the first time in a while, waking up to a cooler morning, we had the windows open and the noise out there was amazing. I had forgotten how noisy those cicadas could get. Thanks for the chuckles and thank you for the invite to the bird meme. I will try and remember to hook up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Denise. Yep, I said it once, I said it a 1000 times....can it. LOL

      Delete
  16. Not only are the cicadas annoying but they are UGLY.
    Loved the jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed....they're ugly too.

      Delete
  17. I forgot to mention that I really like your new background

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks I've used it before....long ago.

      Delete
  18. LOL, I just read your comment in my email about seeing nakedity in the store and thinking of me. Best laugh I've had all day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. roflmao...well, it sounded 'safe' in my mind, then after I typed my words, I thought....this is not good. But posted it anyway. roflmao

      Delete
  19. Back in Ohio they were the seven year locust...a plague of sorts. And very noisy as you have already mentioned. "Your human is open"...that just struck me as hilarious for a moment...thank you for that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...definitely a plague!!! LOL on the 'fly'.

      Delete
  20. We call them cicadas... I hate to hear their racket also. You had some wonderful shots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...not only noisy, but creepy lookin'.

      Delete
  21. My children love seeing those over here.

    Hopping by from Camera Critters.

    Butterfly
    Your comment is always a treat for me!
    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they do? Well, kids, they ARE full of wonder, that I'll grant you.

      Delete
  22. Great shots, Anni! The cicadas are cool looking but very noisy. I enjoyed the funnies, great post and photos. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the images...at the photos are silent.

      Delete
  23. I heard them once in Ohio - I thought they were amazing! lol sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when 100s of them are 'going at once'...it's not so amazing. rofl

      Delete

.