“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Me & My shadows...

Other than stopping at the bookstore once this week, and going to the grocery store; watering the plants outdoors and programming the sprinkler system to soak around the foundation of the house, nothing much got done. Nearing 100 degrees in the shade with humidity that makes the air feel like 110 degrees or more, I've been busy monitoring what was tropical depression #5 that turned into Tropical Storm Ernesto [which is forecast to be a category #1 hurricane by weekend's end, I began tracking another storm depression just behind Ernesto...she soon became named Florence.] Ernesto is looking like it will hit anywhere along the Texas Coast. I'm still predicting it'll make landfall between Houston and Rockport [Rockport is about 30 miles north of Corpus]. Looks like Florence, tho, will remain in the Atlantic going up the eastern coast of USA...or nearby. We are stocked up with extra batteries, lamp oil, candles, ice, gas, canned foods, drinking water, and paper goods. The only thing we'll need to do is fill our 30 gallon barrel with water in case the water is shut off or sewers become plugged up. Anyway, not going outdoors much this week, I worked a bit on my genealogy gift, heard some more from those around that are trying to help....just yesterday I had a person send me a photo of my BIL's grandparents' grave from his mother's side. Read my book....watched the entire saga of ROOTS [from 1978?!!! Has it been that long ago already] for our after dinner entertainment, and made a blackberry pie and while the oven was on....I made a batch of 8 runzas [shredded beef, cabbage and onions rolled into bread dough]. Other than that, I resorted to making my own shadows for shadow shot 2 which I combine, this time, with my Sunday Summary. Also, tomorrow morning at 12:01 AM...the new week's linking for the Bird D'Pot Meme [follow the link on my I'd Rather B Birdin graphic here on the top sidebar] will be posted there. My bird photos are of a rare seen bird which I was lucky enough to spot while driving along the island highway a couple of weeks ago. . .



ibis figurine


mallard duck....it's a clothes lint brush - underneath on the belly is a velcro-like pad to rid clothes of cat hairs. LOL


crystals under the lamplight



blue glass dolphin



CONNECTING TO:


ps...if I disappear from blogging this week sometime, that means we've lost power from the oncoming storm!!

46 comments :

  1. o, I had that doplhin too. But I guess I lost it. It is soo beautifyl.

    Re my entry. :)
    it is a woman walking. Showing only the lower part of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you. I can see 'it' now with the help of your explanation.

      Delete
  2. I have a dolphin like that, too, and I also have wooden one -- my kids know how I love dolphins! Great shadow shots for the day, Anni! Thank you for your good wishes -- makes it worth getting older than dirt!! Enjoy the remainder of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love dolphins...glass, wood carvings, paintings, and the REAL thing. Happy Birthday again Sylvia.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty glass and crystal!
    Hope you keep your power. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so do I. I'm addicted to electrical gadgets.

      Delete
    2. I love that blue dolphin!

      By the way, Anni, I find the content of your "Political Soapbox." I'd be perfect reminder for the local Filipinos, too, though the election is still quite some time away. I wonder if I can have your permission to reprint on my blog and give you all due credit.

      Cheers! Enjoy your Sunday!

      Delete
    3. Eric...thanks for such positive feedback. You have a reply waiting for you.

      Delete
  4. Let's hope indeed that that your humble Gulf city of CC does not turn into Venice (and that's not the one in California)...nice decoys and crystal - around here we have ducks and bunnies in such materials. We do have a duck phone where the eyes lit up when receiving an incoming phone. However, it is a fine looking wooden decoy, we merely removed the cheap phone within - it it is displayed in our home. Fake birds can still be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this morning the path looks quite changed.

      Delete
  5. here's hoping you are safe from the storm. love the crystal photo the most!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you and me both Robin!!! I like the crystals.

      Delete
  6. I love your self-made shadows! I hope you don't get hit by a tropical storm or hurricane. My daughter and her family are living in Virginia Beach and have had that horrible heat with humidity. She's pregnant and her doctor told her that whenever it's 100 (either real or "index") she must stay in the house. Glad to hear you're so prepared in case of emergency. Good luck!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I can understand what she's been told. I'm kinda on the same instructions by my cardiologist. He tells me to stay out of the heat because of the Rx I take.

      Delete
  7. You have really had your mind in high gear this week. I love your shadow shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie , stay safe from the storm. It has been hot here as well, 97 to hundred and two most days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a friend who calls herself Ibis. I wonder if her shadow is as deep and mysterious as this one cast by the ibis figurine?

    Shadowy Wayside Pool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deep....in such a different way probably. ;o)

      Delete
  10. I will be thinking of you this week. Hope all goes well!
    The runzas and blackberry pie sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this morning the path of the storm has changed drastically. And, yes...the pie and runzas were mighty tasty.

      Delete
  11. good luck with all this weather..you sound prepared!!
    love the crystals....gorgeous! My mother in law collects crystal too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you don't disappear. I would not know what to do with myself without your posts, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....again, the path has changed this morning from yesterday...the prediction looks now, to me, like it will head toward the eastern coast of Mexico.

      Delete
  13. I love the dolphin.

    My shadows
    Comments always makes me happy, would you leave me some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm on my way to visit with you Rose.

      Delete
  14. Lovely shadow shots this week - contrived or not! I am praying for your safety in the coming week. We watch with care the ones that come in along the east coast, and the ones on the gulf because our daughter lives in Pensacola. Now I have to watch for the Texas ones also...take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....the course is changed today. TG!!

      Delete
  15. I love the dolphin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shadows, Anni. (Wow, I agree about 1978.)
    But the thing that got to me was the mention of Runzas, which I've never heard of before, but which sound wonderful. I guess there's no real recipe, is there? Just optional amounts of beef and cabbage and onions? Mmm, delicious!
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, there are recipes, I'm sure online. Let me go look one up for you.

      Delete
  17. We are on our way around some bad weather, too. At least we can move out of the way. I see quite a few of those glass dolphins down here. They are beautiful. I should buy one and take it home!

    Happy Sunday,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ya, being aboard a cruise ship allows you to move around a storm. But, this afternoon, the whole scenario on the storm Ernesto has changed. Texas may not even get 'hit'.

      Delete
  18. MOL that is too funny a mallard for a lint/cat hair brush!!
    Mom has a blue dolphin just like yours...maybe she is your sister.
    Hugs and we hope you don't loose power or have too much disturbance from Ernesto.
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the lint brush works wonders!!!

      Delete
  19. Such rough weather in your world! No wonder you opted for indoor shadows! The mallard duck lint brush is extraordinary! How creative! And would you believe, your blue dolphin is just the same blue as mine - complete with that bubbly effect inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...seems like most of us have a blue dolphin!!! They're so cool.

      Delete
  20. Hey Anni thanks for finding me again and stopping by! I remember living in Houston and stocking up the same items whenever a storm entered the Gulf (living through Alicia in '83 tauhgt me that lesson!). Hope Ernesto just gives you rain and not to much trouble otherwise. Love the pictures!! Stay cool and I feel your pain on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm glad to have 'found' you again. Thanks to your guidance. Yep, I hope he'll just bring us some much needed rain [looks now like it's not even gonna hit Texas at all]

      Delete
  21. It has just been a hot summer this year! Great shadow shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...everywhere almost, it's been way too hot.

      Delete
  22. It has been a blasted HOT summer all over the place! I can hardly get the energy to move somedays!
    I hope you will remain safe in the wake of the storm.
    Always a pleasure to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have one of those blue dolphins. Since I'm running behind here I have no idea yet what's going on with the storms your way. I'm slowly but surely catching up with everyone

    ReplyDelete

.