my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Honolulu...The Zoo Side Trip...







CONNECTING TO:



_ _ _



HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week:



1. Aloha! On August 21, 1959 Hawaii officially became a US state. Have you ever been? Upon arrival would you prefer an orchid or a hibiscus to tuck behind your ear? Actually, when we arrived at the Honolulu airport we had both kinds of leis placed around our necks!!! Orchids and Hibiscus. Not behind the ears tho.

2. Since we're talking tropical...what's your favorite food or beverage made with pineapple? Just plain simple - fresh pineapple. If I can't have the fresh fruit [just skinned] --- I like sliced pineapple in its own juice and placed on a saucer with grated Velveeta Cheese sprinkled on top. It's delicious!!!

3. Do you believe in soul mates? Explain. If I didn't, I think I've been in the wrong place in my life for the past 40+ years!!!!! As the two of us have grown together, what I consider the factor about now is that each other knows what we want and expect...without thinking too much on anything. We've always connected, but it's now an even stronger bond.

4. Share a memory about the house you grew up in. Amidst the Colorado Rockies [the foothills] and the school bus dropping me off where I'd walk down the lane...to see the house partially hidden by trees...a huge garden. Oh and let me not forget...about 9 months out of the year, SNOW!!! Either fresh, deep snow, or drifted snow along the side that got little or no sun...for months on end.

5. Are you comfortable with silence?


















6. You spot a giant spider on your bedroom wall...what's your next move? (all spiders are giant, right?)
*smack*

7. My idea of fun does NOT include [fill in the blank] housework.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
The reason I left #5 blank is that I mean....I'm VERY comfortable with silence. Silence IS golden. Thing of it is these days it's hard to experience true silence. During the day....out and about town ---you have traffic and it's becoming noisier, and noisier. Then, in the silence of parking the car in a parking lot....there is always the 'beep beep' of someone locking their vehicle remotely. In stores, you have the scanners, the people, the carts, the kids, the shoppers talking, etc. etc. etc. In a theater, sneezers, coughers, loud surround sound....at home, you have the hum of the refrigerator, the A/C running, the furnace kicking on, the keyboard being struck as I type my random thought, the wind blowing outside the window, the birds chattering at the bird bath I can hear through the glass window....phone ringing, chirping an email alert for me.  We are a society of NOISE!!  Just where IS this silence you're asking about? I'd love to know, please. Oh, and the spider animation is from a Google Image Search!!!








CONNECTING TO:


54 comments :

  1. Nice photos of the birds at the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your hodgepodge! The silence answer is so good - and the spider is so yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...spider, yuck....for me too.

      Delete
  3. Great zoo trip!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Anni, I love the penquins. It is cool to see them at the zoo. Great shot, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the penguins! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like those penguins. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're most definitely a fascinating bird.

      Delete
  7. LOL, love your answer to the question are you comfortable with silence.
    I've always wanted to go to Hawaii. maybe some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, maybe someday. But fair warning, it's a VERY long flight!!!! And when we got close to the time to land, it was night time...and I must say it's an image I'll never forget....out the window, I could see the lava flow glowing hot orange!!! It was incredible.

      Delete
  8. Those penguins are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your answer for silence! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Penguins... NEAT....

    Love your answers... The silence answer is priceless... I love silence also --especially when we are hiking deep in the woods... Such a great feeling!!!! Spiders----YUK (along with most bugs); Maybe if I had have lived in CO when young, I wouldn't LOVE snow so much now. I have never seen much of it --and absolutely love it!!!! YES---I believe in soulmates ---after meeting George... NO DOUBTS in my mind!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the snow wasn't all that bad when I was 'young'...but after marriage and snow drifts and then getting into the city and the maniac drivers on icy freeways....nope, I like NO Snow. LOL

      Delete
  11. Completely agree with you on the housework! I love the points you made about noise vs silence. I'm so guilty of filling my time with things..electronic...that go beep, click, and ding. I simply must get back to simpler things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ahhhhh, the simple life {{{sigh}}}

      Delete
  12. Nice pictures you show.
    Wish you a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you're having a good day too, Hanne.

      Delete
  13. sometimes, housework can be therapeutic.:p i do some creative thinking while doing housework. my idea of fun does not include driving in flooded streets. i'm always thankful for the relative silence i enjoy every morning before i start my day.

    guess what, i have not seen a peacock up close & personal.:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, yes, I agree, housework CAN be therapeutic....but being therapeutic and being fun is two entirely different things in my opinion.

      As for the peacocks, I love their 'song'. So unique, if you ever see one in real time, stand around, let them sing for you.

      Delete
  14. In Singapore, the penguins are in an enclosed cold enclosure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I understand that they can tolerate heat better than we think. As long as there is water for them. Also, the same with Polar Bears....the zoo in Tucson had Polar Bears!!!

      Delete
  15. Love watching penguins and that peacock is gorgeous. I'm with you, silence is golden! Rubbish by Roan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....just wish there really was a place for complete silence sometimes!!!! It would be a godsend. These bird photos this week, I scanned. It's been a while since we've been to Hawai'i, and they scanned pretty well.

      Delete
  16. Yikes, there is a spider crawling over my screen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate spiders....not so much the critter, the webs!!! If I walk into one while working in the yard, I feel it for days afterward.

      Delete
  17. I love your pics as per usual and your answers to today's questions are great...well except for the spider...Dad is still trying to get Mom to step off the desk.
    MOL
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your pics!

    1. I like hibiscus tucked behind my ears.
    2. I like the fresh pineapple with a dash of salt. Pineapple and velveta cheese that sounds really good!
    3. My hubby is my soulmate. Oftentimes, we look at each other and we say you know what I am thinking and he told me or I tell him and we both say how do you know what I am thinking? And we both laugh!
    4. My father built a house for my mother and it is where we grew in. In fact two of my siblings was born in that house except me. So many memories to tell and my family still live there and still the house I stay when I visit Philippines.
    5. I am very comfortable with silence. Not just comfortable but loving it.
    6. SMACK!
    7. My idea of fun is to do the things that I do want and like to do.
    8. Have a safe vacation! ^_^

    Thanks in joining Water World Wednesday I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting WWW Kim. I've never had pineapple with a dash of salt before, but I telly this now...I'm gonna try it.

      Delete
  19. Lovely photographs - delightful Hodgepodge! Just love your spider - and I love silence too - although somehow there's always a quiet buzz in the air, or in my mind! I always wondered why they said that the silence was deafening - I guess it is in a way - it's so absolutely quiet - and yet not?? Loved your post today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hee hee...
    «Louis» is happy you liked the sign... and he thanks you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Zoo photos recent, Anni? Aside from the peacock's amazing colors, also like the little "hats" they have. Randoms--I'd leave spiders alone if going in the opposite direction to me. The older I get the more silence require. How are we going to keep up with the presidential campaign and still have some silence? Right now I'm looking for a network which at least tries to present a balanced story--no luck yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah....the photos are a few years old.

      Good luck in finding some network that is unbiased in covering politics.

      Delete
  22. What a creative way to answer to #5!

    ReplyDelete
  23. those are nice birds in the zoo..

    and silence is indeed Golden! :)

    Late Visit from Water World Wednesday… One Sunny & Windy Afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no problem, I've been a bit lacking in responding since my two week hiatus.

      Delete
  24. As always, a fun place to visit! Loved the photos from the zoo...and your hodgepodge...the spider running across the page was almost enough to make me yell! I agree...smack! Thanks for joining WW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos. The penguins are so cute

    ReplyDelete

.